sum based on content of other cells

Cells A7:A49 have pull downs with 20 categories to pick from.
Cells H7:H49 has the value in hours spent on that category.
I would like to get the sum of hours based on each category, and put
this value in another cell.

Can someone please help me with this ?

Thanks

You want to use the Sumif function.

http://www.ExcelForum.com/

>.

0
ray_adkins (15)

duplicated content-type name
We have a exchange 2000 server with sp3. Every time when I send a mail, the content-type name in header will be duplicated. Is there anyone can help me Thanks! ...

Compare cells, update based on Ifs
I need to compare cells to the cell above them and to the right of them. Based on the comparisons I'll need to update the original cell with one of those adjoining cell values. After I finish with one column then I need to repeat the procedure on the column to the LEFT of the original column. I know IF, THEN and ELSE statesments but I don't know VB for Microsoft Office products. Range could be all 65,000+ rows on a workseet Start on ColumnJ, Row2 If ColumnJ, Row2 is Null _ If ColumnK, Row 2 is Not Null _ If ColumnJ, Row 1 is Not Null _ ColumnJ, Row2 Value is ...

How to perform sum sum sum...

In excel change color of a range of cells based on a cell value
Based on a cell value from a drop down box, how can you make a range of cells to change background color? Use the cell the box is linked to in your conditional formatting formula. If your box is tied to, say, A1, make sure the conditional formula is like: =$A$1="value" value is whatever will be selected in the box. Then set the background color. Squeaky "kwitt" wrote: > Based on a cell value from a drop down box, how can you make a range of cells > to change background color? ...

Summing up user defined results

Referencing a sheet by taking its name from a cell
I'm not even sure the title of this post is correct but it's as clear as I could make it! I'm creating a summary sheet of data from many other worksheets. The worksheet names are mmm-yy (e.g. Nov-07). The top row of the summary sheet will contain those same names, with the summary data in the column below. I'm trying to find a way to reference the correct sheet by utilising the name in the top row. Something like ='A2'!C7 , I suppose, but this particular attempt didn't work. Can someone help? Thanks! Paul Assuming that you have "Nov-07"(sheet name) in...

sum subform to form

Automatic filling of cells within a certain date range
Can someone please help, I have been stuck on this for the past two days... Column 'AB' has 'Start Date' and column 'AD' has 'Finish date' Row 19, cells 'AI' to 'DW' have the months written as 'J' 'F' 'M' 'A' etc.....from 2008 to 2015. I want to be able to enter a 'start date' in column 'AB' i.e. 1 January 2008 and a 'Finish date' in column 'AD' i.e. 1 April 2015. Then i would like the cells 'J - A' on row 19 to be filled with '1' in each month.... I...

Special format for feet
Many html tables list height as x-yy where x is feet and yy is inches. Excel imports this as a date. In looking at cell number formats there is no option to display either a feet-inches 'number' or an inches number as x-yy. (I will write up a separate item about Excel importing the feet and inches as dates.) ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggesti...

I have a query that returns the details for a failure record during a specified time period. Where if I search between 1/1/08 and 1/31/08 the query returns the records of all failure records during that period. The row shows the part number and the total parts failed for that record. I need the query to then sum the total part failures for the previous 12 months. So I would see the following: Record # | part # | parts failed | Origination Date| Total Parts failed past 12 months 44444 | x | 4 | 1/2/08 | 200 44445 | Y |1 ...

Cells stay highlighted, cannot use mouse
When I click on a cell in excel, that cell shows as clicked on, but when I move the mouse all surrounding cells become highlighted as well. So I cannot input anything anywhere, as moving the mouse around just keeps highlighting cells. And I cannot shut excel down as trying to move the mouse to a menu bar keeps highlighting cells in the worksheet. The only way to get out of excel is to End Task. I have come across this problem before, but I don't know how I inadvertently activate it, and to stop it was some combined of Ctrl-Enter but I can't remember what. Hopefully someone will un...

=SUM Ranges Do Not Update
I have a Excel 2000 spread sheet, with the following macro to insert new row. Sub InsertRow() ' ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 4/27/2004 ' 'GoTo label, MyString ActiveSheet.Unprotect Application.Goto Reference:="MyCell" ActiveCell.Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Insert ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select ActiveCell.PasteSpecial xlPasteAll Application.CutCopyMode = False ActiveCell.Select ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True Scenarios:=True End Sub The problem is that in the "Mycell&qu...

Sum value between dates problem driving me mad!
Good Evening All, I am really struggling here, have tried, nested IF's including AND's but am a bit stumped. I am fairly familiar with Arrays, but cannot seem to combine all. I have a data table (as detailed below). (Hopefully, this should be 'pastable' into Excel - it works for me) I simply wish to calculate the expected totals per month. Any help & assistance with this would be most welcome. Cheers, Mathew Note, earliest Start is 01/04/03 Start Finish Day Rate Apr-2003 May-2003 Jun-2003 Jul-2003 Aug-2003 01/04/2003 23.00 01/04/2003 09/07/2003 23.00 ...

Conditional Sum Wizard
Currently I am setting up a sheet and I am using the conditional sum wizard for formulas. Once a formula is created the sytem won't let me copy or change a formula. If I try to copy (Copy, paste special) a formula to another cell, the formula won't work anymore. If I create a formula with the wizard and afterwards change one of the parameters, the formula does not work anymore. Can anyone give me a hint on how I can solve these issues? Thanks. Please don't multi-post - you have an answer elsewhere, relating to use of CSE. Pete On Jan 6, 9:23=A0am, MarcoKoenders <MarcoKo...

character size in pivot table cell
present no of char in pivot table cell is <=255. How to increase to an assigned no > 255? AFAIK, there's no way to adjust this limit. wozart wrote: > present no of char in pivot table cell is <=255. > How to increase to an assigned no > 255? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Sum Question
I am using Excel 2000 I have the following very simple formula in column j Sheet1 =SUM(B5*H5) I have this copied all the way down to line 40. It shows 0 in all of the cells all the way down. I would like for there to be a way that the cell would not show anything in it UNLESS there was something that it was calculating. For example. I have entered data in column b and column h through line 10, but it still shows 0 in column J all the way down to line 40. I realize that it is showing these 0's b/c I have placed the formula there, but is there a way that it will still calculate but only ...

Sum sum sum
Let me describe my problem... I have a form with with item number with is unique and then i put another form (subform) to linked to record the number of item in and out.... This means a item can have many in and out transactions which make the item number not unique.. My problem is I want to calculate the sum of in quantity within the same item. I want the sum to be keep on increasing when the user enter the quantity. Example user key in 2 then new user key 4 and i want the total quantity to be 6... Please help.... No idea of what i am talking? I will explain... -- Message posted via http:/...

Incoming message content
I need some help. I must have changed a setting somewhere but all of a sudden my incoming e-mail messages are filled with underlined links and other data. I am using Office Outlook 2007 and it was fine when I first installed it. I tried to reinstall the program but it still happens with every new e-mail I receive from a Newspaper or CNN. etc. How can I get back to an uncluttered message. I am sorry if my description of the problem is not clear but I am at a lost for words to be more accurate. Can anyone help? Thanks: Gene L. ...

If Cell Includes
I've been given a very large spreadsheet which includes email addresses, some good, some bad, some in ancient form. How can I make a statement which checks the various cells to see if they include (or don't include) an '@' symbol ? -- kinstlinger ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kinstlinger's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31460 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=511430 Hi! This formula will return TRUE if A1 contains an "@" sign, FALSE if it d...

Taking sum of a field from sub report
Hi On a sub report I have a field datetot which is the sum of two fields those two fields are in turn coming from two further sub reports of the sub report. How can I take the sum of datetot field to the main report? Thanks Regards See: Bring the total from a subreport onto a main report at: http://allenbrowne.com/casu-18.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:OCWbU...

Naming Cell Range
Hi all, When naming a cell range - in the name what CANNOT be used...? Can I name a range "Mech-33Data" ? Without the "" of course..... Regards, DP "David Penney" <dpenney@no-spam.iinet.net.au> wrote in message news:3f1cfb9e$0$23595$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.au... > Hi all, > > When naming a cell range - in the name what CANNOT be used...? > > Can I name a range "Mech-33Data" ? > Without the "" of course..... > > Regards, > > DP > > I searched Help for "naming cells" and got to this:...

how do i link cells that contain text in excel
i am creating a spreadsheet that will have several cells that contain the same as another cell - either number or text - is there anyway to link so when i type (example) the number 3 in cell A2 it will also appear in cells C12 and D42. thanking everyone in advance for their assistance. It can be done in 2 Methods. Method 1:- Place the cursor in C12 and press = and type A2. Now it will show the A2 cell value 3 in C12. if you place the cursor in C12 it will show the formula as =A2. Follow the same step for D42 also. Method 2:- Place the cursor in C12 and press = and type I...