Strange formula popping up

Hello.  I have a problem in excel 2003. My SS has lots and lots o
figures on it. I used format with no $ , 2 decimals, and chose (1234
56). However every time I try to enter an amount in the minus in an
cell it comes out strange.

For instance say I want to enter (250.00).
It does this: - 250.F8 (or any other cell ). and then jumps to the cel
next to it and does the little flashing 'outline the cell' thingy.
tried deleting and clearing all the formulas and then reformatting bu
it keeps doing it. Amounts in the black come out just fine such a
1234.56. It only does it in a cell with minus.

What am I doing wrong? I don't want to lose all the data I hav
entered but ...

--
lil'bi

married, muddled, and mistoo
lil'bit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=430
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48357

There may be macros built into the spreadsheet that invoke when you
enter a negative number.  Did you inherit this spreadsheet from someone?

0
CycleZen (674)
11/9/2005 5:25:30 PM
In a way I did inherit it. The company has a template so I copied th
template and proceeded from there to insert data. But why won't th
strange formula disappear when I use the ' clear formula '? Also trie
re-entering the correct format and it doesn't go away

--
lil'bi

married, muddled, and mistoo
lil'bit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=430
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48357

If you close excel then reopen it in safe mode, then open your file, does it
work ok?

close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe

File|Open your workbook

If it works ok, then you could have a worksheet event that runs automatically
when you make a change.

Rightclick on the worksheet tab and select view code.

If you see stuff there that looks Greek, it may be time to get the developer
involved.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Another box pops up that says : Windows cannot find 'excel/safe'.

The company said I can play around with the template and get it right.
So isn't there just some way to undo the formatting on the template?
Everytime I try, it still does the same thing. I'm clearing and
deleting like crazy and no go.  :confused:

--
lil'bit

married, muddled, and mistook
lil'bit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4306
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=483572

you can also start in Safe mode by holding down the Ctrl key while click on
the Excel icon

"lil'bit" wrote:

> Argh. Such frustration. I can't start excel in safe. When I click on run
> and the box pops up, I enter: excel/safe  Then click ok.
>
> Another box pops up that says : Windows cannot find 'excel/safe'.
>
> The company said I can play around with the template and get it right.
> So isn't there just some way to undo the formatting on the template?
> Everytime I try, it still does the same thing. I'm clearing and
> deleting like crazy and no go.  :confused:
>

> --
> lil'bit
>
> married, muddled, and mistook
> lil'bit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4306
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=483572

0
DukeCarey (494)
11/10/2005 12:30:41 AM
try

Excel /s

"lil'bit" wrote:

> Argh. Such frustration. I can't start excel in safe. When I click on run
> and the box pops up, I enter: excel/safe  Then click ok.
>
> Another box pops up that says : Windows cannot find 'excel/safe'.
>
> The company said I can play around with the template and get it right.
> So isn't there just some way to undo the formatting on the template?
> Everytime I try, it still does the same thing. I'm clearing and
> deleting like crazy and no go.  :confused:
>

> --
> lil'bit
>
> married, muddled, and mistook
> lil'bit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4306
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=483572

0
DukeCarey (494)
11/10/2005 12:36:35 AM
Just to reiterate Duke's point...

There's a space character between excel and /safe

lil'bit wrote:

> Argh. Such frustration. I can't start excel in safe. When I click on run
> and the box pops up, I enter: excel/safe  Then click ok.
>
> Another box pops up that says : Windows cannot find 'excel/safe'.
>
> The company said I can play around with the template and get it right.
> So isn't there just some way to undo the formatting on the template?
> Everytime I try, it still does the same thing. I'm clearing and
> deleting like crazy and no go.  :confused:
>
> --
> lil'bit
>
> married, muddled, and mistook
> lil'bit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4306
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=483572

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
11/10/2005 12:47:36 AM
Ok, thank you everyone. I got in safe mode and clicked on view mode and
everything looks ok to me. Well thanks for trying. :)  Think I'll just
make up my own ss next month and not use the template.

--
lil'bit

married, muddled, and mistook
lil'bit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4306
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=483572

Weekday formula

Strange Output
Hello, everybody !!! Why this fragment of code shows : ac cout<<"a\??/??/bc"; Thanks All !!! "Alex Dmitriev" <firejump@mail.ru> wrote in message news:ecTgPp8pEHA.3800@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hello, everybody !!! > Why this fragment of code shows : ac > > cout<<"a\??/??/bc"; http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vccelng4/html/elconTrigraphs.asp '??/' is a '\' so you end up with "a\\\bc" http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vccelng4/html/elc...

Count formula within a named range.

Formula to return a formula

How do I set up formula to copy format from one worksheet to anoth
How do I set up a formula to copy both value and format from one worksheet to another? When I use the = sign, it copy the value only. How do I get the format be copied also? you can't "link" the formatting in the same way as you link the contents what you need to do is to copy all the cells in your sheet X A B C ... 1 2 click on the grey square which I have illustrated with the X this selects all the cells in the sheet press control-C (copy) go to your new sheet and select the same X square now do edit > paste special > format / column width. if you are doin...

Excel Object showing strange behavior
Hello, I have a sheet that I created that contains an Excel object (small spreadsheet) that when double clicked, will open up and allow it to be populated. After they populate it, and close it,...the data is automatically reflected in the object on the original sheet. This is shared with everyone and it's working great. BUT.....(always the but) Why have a few people sent the form back to me saying that when they double click the object it opens up a "Format Object" dialogue box rather than the editable sheet that it was supposed to do? They sent it back to me and sure enough...

Dates in Formula
I want to create an IF statement that says if a cell value is equal to a set date then "True" otherwise "False" The formula used is: =IF(A12="01/04/2004", "TRUE", "FALSE") The value in A12 is 01/04/2004 (created by formatting cell to dd/mm/yyyy) This returns "False" regardless of what I put in A12 I am using Excel 2000 on an XP Pro O/S. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 03:09:03 -0800, John G <JohnG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to create an IF statement that says if a cell value is equ...

Exchange Permissions--Strange One
Hi by default, domain admins (and ent. admins) are denied "receive as" and "send as" permissions to the mailbox store. additionally, by default, on the exchange advanced tab under the mailbox rights button, domain admins are DENIED Full Mailbox Access. However, if you look at the security tab for each user object, by default domain admins are allowed "send as" and "receive as" permissions. now i know that the "receive as" right is ignored on the ad user object, but i ran a small test. i logged on as a domain admin, opened up the domain admin...

Help for formulas in spreadsheet
Let me first explain my problem. I have a booking form used by renters who rent my holiday villa, they book usually 1 or 2 weeks. The cost is dependent on the month so there are 4 price bands. So they could cross a price band ie have a different price for each week. I have used this forum in the past to get a couple of formulas to do most of the calculations, but as i don`t really understand the formulas when changes are required its a no go area for me other than the yearly price increase, I just change the figure (�s) behind the �s sign. All my changes are linked to dates and ...

Strange Email failure error
Can anyone help? Using Outlook 2002 and POP3 mail. I've always been able to send emails to my wife's work email address until this week, when I get this very strange failure notice. "Connected to 213.2.49.230 but greeting failed. Remote host said: 421 reppsrv01.repp.co.uk is not accepting new connections. Please try later I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long." Does anyone know what the hell this means? thanks -- Google is your Friend Email address deliberately false to avoid spam: gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk www.gbpcomputin...

Formula for same numbers in Excel
Hi. I have 2 columns in Excel (C10:C200 and D10:D150) filled by numbers. How can I find how many numbers in column D (and if it is possible which) included also in the column C. I would like to apply a formula and not any shorting method. Thank you. In E10 =COUNTIF(C$10:C$200,D10) fill down to E200. HTH. Best wishes Harald "nikos" <nikos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E87A6EC1-B8B3-4A0E-B87D-52CE6BAD91DC@microsoft.com... > Hi. > > I have 2 columns in Excel (C10:C200 and D10:D150) filled by numbers. How > can > I find how many numb...

Write a formula for a penalty for status of TRUE?
Need to write a formula in column H for a penalty of $50 for the customer that has a fixed penalty status of TRUE and $) for all others Do you mean something like =IF(A2=TRUE,50,0) HTH Bob "Esperanza" <Esperanza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A621E32-9875-4C61-BFFE-C380ED4E7CA9@microsoft.com... > Need to write a formula in column H for a penalty of $50 for the customer > that has a fixed penalty status of TRUE and $) for all others Assuming "$)" means "$0", try: =if(a1="TRUE",50,0) Adjust the ...

Very Strange
Hi I have a Word 2007 document. In this I am using 3 different heading styles. I want to use the feature 'Select Text with Similar Formatting' but it is not working. I have 5 headings that are all Title Case, size 10, Times New Roman, Left aligned and Bold there is exactly the same formatting applied to all 5 headings - I even checked the paragraph spacing - all headings are 0pt before and 12pt after. I checked show and hide - everything I repeat everything is the same - can you tell me why oh why will this feature only select 3 of my headings and not the 5???? ...

Fantasy Football Datbase or Formula
i'm trying to create a Fantasy Football Datbase or Formula in excel ca anyone HELP ...

help with formula please
I want to change how this works, I messed around a little but no joy. In cells C6,D6,E6 I have words date, month, year, In cells G6,H6,I6 I have words date, month, year, In cells C7,D7,E7 Date is entered dd/mm/yy, In cells G7,H7,I7 Date is entered dd/mm/yy The idea is a start date and a finish date, It is based on renting a property and will be either one week or two weeks If the dates equal one week only then I wish cell M7 to print �150 If the dates equal 2 weeks then cell M8 to equal �100 Thus giving a combined total of �250 for two weeks rental. (which is later added tog...

Displaying Formulas #2
I have a workbook with 3 worksheets. On all three worksheets, when any formula is entered, the result is the formula. For example, in cell A1 I enter "=B1", the result should be the contents of B1. But what is displayed is "=B1". If I add a 4th sheet and enter the above formula, it works correctly. It is just something in the spreadsheet info that is preventing the formula from working correctly. Hi John the cell is porbably formated as text. Goto 'Format - cell' and change the format to 'General'. Reenter your formula and it should work Frank J...

Formula for Capital Letters
I am working on a Validation List In cell D13, I want user to key in only letters A, B, C, D, or E and all should be in CAPITAL LETTERS. I use the formula below in =(EXACT(D13,UPPER(D13))) I got the Capital Letter part, but other letters can still be keyed in other than A-E. Please advise me, thank you. One way: =AND(CODE(D13)>=65, CODE(D13)<=69) In article <442a7d90$1_1@news.tm.net.my>, "Zainuddin Zakaria" <salza@tm.net.my> wrote: > I am working on a Validation List > > In cell D13, I want user to key in only letters A, B, C, D, or E and ...

why this strange result with vlookup
hi i have this formula in a cell =VLOOKUP(A3,'LookUp Data'!A2:O740,2,FALSE) but any time i pick a code from my list items in column A it gives #NA but as soon as i change to a different code it gives the name. any help why My best guess would be a data type mismatch. Looking up text in a column of numbers. When you change the value the type gets converted and the result is returned. Hard to say though based on yoru description. The ohter thig to look for might be blank characters padded at the end of the input. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Amin" wrot...

How to "clone" or "duplicate" cells & their formulas...
Copy-Paste-Special lets you do some useful things in Excel. But there's no quick & easy way to "clone" a cell and make an exact duplicate of it. Often I do this either because a given cell is a good starting point for a different calculation. The workarounds work, but, like workarounds, they kinda stink. For example, you can edit the formula, put a quote in front of it & turn it into a string, then copy it to wherever you need it, and then finally edit it (and the original) back to formula. Or, you can use absolute references in the formula and then copy the formula....

DestroyWindow ASSERT problem....strange, strange!
Hi I have derived a dialog-class in a DLL (shared MFC) I can construct an object of this class in my app, and when overloading DoModal() and adding an AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState( )); call, I can see the CMyDialog dialog. But here is the issue, I have a timer set for a certain time, it posts a message and the dialog has to be killed - so I use CDialog::OnCancel. Then DoModal calls DestroyWindow() - Here a copy of the m_hWnd is made in hWndOrig. #ifdef _DEBUG hWndOrig = m_hWnd; #endif Then m_hWnd gets set to Null by ::DestroyWndow (which calls OnNcDestroy). But later in Dest...

Why won't Toolbars and the formula bar show up or stay in my workbooks?

Strange behavior #3
Hello. I use Outlook 2003 with a internal pop/smtp server (Merak). Using Oulook 2003 (it's the case for all users in the company), when we send mails to internal addresses, in the recipient mailbox our address doesn't appear, we are considered as ghost users! But, if on the same PC we use another email client (Outlook express for example), the mail arrives with my address as sender! Does anyone feel a ghostbuster? Thanks by advance. ...

strange Icon
I'm running Office 2007, and always back up my files to a flash drive which I can then open in my laptop. The "Icons" always look normal until today When I backed up an Excel file. The new Icon on the flash drive has a big exclamation mark (!) in the center of it!! I have reviewed the file and can't find anything wrong with it -- have been doing this for years and have never seen this before. Will someone please tell me what this means!! The icon in my "documents and settings", where the file was saved originally is normal. big john This is a cross post wi...

Help with basic If Then Else formula
I am an experience computer user but probably only barely past basic when it comes to doing formulas and such in programs like excel. I am trying to create an IF THEN ELSE (I think) formula for a fantasy football worksheet. Here is the situation. There will be four winners, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place. And there will also be an added reward for completing the season with the most points. I have it look something like this. Playoff Finish Playoff Teams Most Points Winner P1 x (c1) 2nd P4 (...

Formula Transpose
In Excel2000, I have the following data in row 1 ( Cities )and formulas (starting in row 2 that reference the cities) in : A B C 1 NY LA SF 2 +A1 3 +B1 4 +C1 Is there an easy way make a formula in A2 that I can copy down.I have many rows of this type of data. Thanks Select A1:C1 and copy Select A2 Edit>Pastespecial and click Transpose -- HTH Bob Phillips "snax500" <gottschalk@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:1122042541.329545.193440@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > In Excel2000, I have the...