Stopping free text entry in validation cell

Hi,

I have an xls that I have set up with validation lists in some cells. I need
to stop users from ignoring the options in the list and just typing whatever
the want in the cell.

Anyone help? I am sure it is easy, but can't see how to do it.

Thnx,

Smf
0
smf1 (3)

If you are using a list then that should be enough unless they copy and
paste into the validation cell

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"smf" <smf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an xls that I have set up with validation lists in some cells. I
need
> to stop users from ignoring the options in the list and just typing
whatever
> the want in the cell.
>
> Anyone help? I am sure it is easy, but can't see how to do it.
>
> Thnx,
>
> Smf

0
terre081 (3244)
12/15/2005 6:21:19 PM
Hmm, sorry not using a list as such, it is something I picked up from here.
It is:

=IF(E32="",RegionList,INDEX(RegionColumn,MATCH(E32,CustColumn,0)))

in the validation source field.

Not really sure what that is called - it picks up the data from another
sheet that I have set up. As it is not a 'list' as such you are allowed to
enter free text in the cell.

Thnx,

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> If you are using a list then that should be enough unless they copy and
> paste into the validation cell
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "smf" <smf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an xls that I have set up with validation lists in some cells. I
> need
> > to stop users from ignoring the options in the list and just typing
> whatever
> > the want in the cell.
> >
> > Anyone help? I am sure it is easy, but can't see how to do it.
> >
> > Thnx,
> >
> > Smf

0
smf1 (3)

text to column in Access
I need to split data in the form of: 24N15E12 into 24 N 15 E 12 where the spaces delimit columns, but it could also be: 24N3W2 into 24 N 3 W 2 I was trying to use the text to columns in Excel, but that's not quite it, I was hoping I could write a query or script that goes something like: select characters until the 1st letter (N) > copy letter and any preceding numbers > make new column > select until next letter (E or W) > copy 2nd letter and any preceding numbers > make additional new column > finally, make a new column out of remaining numbers ...

How do I change the direction of the cell when I press enter
Tools > Options > Edit > Move selection after Enter > Direction -- JBeaucaire ------------------------------------------------------------------------ JBeaucaire's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=73 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=48066 ...

drop down cell / combobox in Pocket Excel
I have an excel spreadsheet used to gather survey data. In the desktop version many of the possible responses are in drop down selection boxes. Upon moving to Pocket Excel this functionality disappears. Is there a way to recover it. PDA environment is a dell PDA running WinCE Pocket Excel does not support drop-down selection boxes. As a replacement, try my program SpreadCE, available from: http://www.byedesign.freeserve.co.uk/ You will need to turn off the Excel -> Pocket Excel conversion in ActiveSync. "JimH" <HamJim@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:053d01c38f80...

outlook clean free/busy script?
I have an exchange 2003 environment with about 50 conference room resources. I am using this program to manage my resources: http://www.swinc.com/products/ERM/ Users are using all versions of Outlook. Occasionally, the free/busy info for some of the resources gets corrupt. When inviting them as a resource, they report busy for times they aren't and free for times they aren't. I log in as an account that has rights to the resource, configure a outlook profile for that resource, and start outlook with the /cleanfreebusy switch. It resolves the issue almost immediately. Is there an...

improve text formating features in text fields
The word editing facilities in the notes sections are very very limited. E.g. no bullit list option, only very basic copy/past functionality, you can only add one attachment per note.etc.etc. Is it possible to imprve this? I would also like to have the option to change the sequence of the notes in the way they are shown on the screen. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link ...

update a date cell only when worksheet is edited
Hi. is there a function that updates the date cell automatically only when the worksheet is edited or something to that effect. thank you This might help http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html Regards Rowan Joe Black wrote: > Hi. is there a function that updates the date cell automatically only when > the worksheet is edited or something to that effect. thank you ...

stops responding

Help wit text in formula
I have a IF statement Ex. if(D6=HE),sum(f6,g4)) and I get an error on HE what am I doing wrong. help with the correct formula. Thanks Hi Glen You should enclose the text in ""'s, eg IF(D6="HE",....... "Glen" wrote: > I have a IF statement Ex. if(D6=HE),sum(f6,g4)) and I get an error on HE what > am I doing wrong. help with the correct formula. Thanks Tried that and still get the same error that some is wrong with "he" "Kassie" wrote: > Hi Glen > > You should enclose the text in ""'s, eg IF(D6="HE&...

Auto Text in Outlook 2007
Hi, I use Auto text in my emails for the long words that i am constantly writing. I can seem to find this function in Outlook 2007. Or any of the 2007 products. I have seen "Quick Parts" which is fantastic but not exactly what i need, any suggestions... Thanks Kama <Kama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I use Auto text in my emails for the long words that i am constantly > writing. I can seem to find this function in Outlook 2007. Or any of > the 2007 products. I have seen "Quick Parts" which is fantastic but > not exactly what i need, any sugg...

blue stop screen 0x0000007E

blocking specific text in Word
Hello- I am creating a document for a client. There will be certain areas that will be locked and certain areas where my client will need to input information. They wanted to know if there is a way that when their team types in their information that they can block out specific words so they wouldn't be able to type them in. For example, they have a long list of products and only want the client to be able to input certain product words but block out other ones. Is there anyway to do this? Thanks! I don't know of any way to block specific words, but they could us...

recipient policy stopped working

How do I merge 3 lines of text to show in one row?
I am doing a family history excel document. One row should have approx. 3 lines of info, however, I can only get one row of info to show. When I dclick that row the info shows but when I print or do a print preview only one line of info shows. I have merged the cells in that row. It sounds like you need to select Wrap Text from the Alignment tab of the Format Cells dialog and/or increase the height of the row to accommodate the numbers of rows of text in the cell. -- Ian -- "pita29" <pita29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3D24CC3-7B38-4461-9B29-6...

list in data validation
in a cell I have Data validation with validation criteria to Allow List. Now my list is a long list of 3 alphabet codes such as ACE AET AMN ARC ARM ASL ATG ATS AUG AWI BBC BEL BRG CBS CDA CEC CHT COP CPT CSM CWT CWT DBA DTK when I do a normal filter I can go from one code starting with say letter "A" to another code starting with "D" by simply pressing "D" on the keyboard. This does not happen in this list. Is there some way I can make it happen. A couple of ways...1 is a kludge, 1 uses a different type of drop down called a ...

text from one column into multiple columns
Hi, How can I take text entered like this: Mike Smith Toyota 123 Main St Anytown, TX 12345 phone 713 222 1212 fax 713 222 2121 ....and move it to where every address element (name, street, city, etc.) is in its own column? Text to Columns obviously won't work, and I've had no luck trying to make a macro to do it. Thanks, Jeff Hi do you always have the same amount of rows per record? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Jeff Brown wrote: > Hi, > How can I take text entered like this: > Mike Smith Toyota > 123 Main St > Anytown, TX 12345 > phone 713 222 12...

Free Software search and download = www.GEGEREKA.com
Project of the year: Incredible unique search machine like nothing on earth. MP3,MPEG,AVI,DIVX,DLL,PHP,EXE,ISO, ... and much more Millions files for everyone. Music, movies, soft and other media. http://www.GEGEREKA.com : THE LORD OF DOWNLOADS. ...

Stop all macros
I have a button on a form, which should do different things depending on 1. The data contained within the current record; 2. Whether the current record is a 'new record'; 3. Whether the current record is the first record in the form. On click, an embedded macro is initiated. Each step in the embedded macro has a condition and a corresponding 'RunMacro' action. All the conditions are mutually exclusive, and each sub-macro has a final step of 'StopAllMacros'. So the embedded macro should trigger one, and only one sub-macro. However, it appears that what is act...

Stopping the scroll bar
Hi all, this is my first time. I don't know if this is the right place for this problem but here I go. I have created a template of an invoice the size of an A4 and would like to stop the scroll bar moving both horizantally and vertically in normal view just as if it was in print view. Is that possible through VBA and if yes what is the code that I would need to achieve such task. Thanks in advance --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Not too sure what you are after but you can remove the scrollbars with <Tools - Options> and then in the View tab, at the bottom,...

Pivot Table
I have a list in a file name abc.xls. I have defined the list with a name say XYZ. I have another file Summary.xls with a pivot table that I'm using to give me a summary of that list. The 'XYZ' which is the defined name of the actual list in abc.xls file works when both the files are open. When I open the Summary.xls file, first message says "Reference is not valid" and second message says "Cannot find "abc.xls file". If I first open the abc.xls file and then the summary.xls, then it works and not viceversa. Please update. Thx. As answered in microsof...

Unable to update free/busy data
A user received the following error message when using the calendar feature: "unable to update free/busy data. Operation failed." According to microsoft knowledge base there is a fix they have been testing. Does anyone know if this fix costs anything or if there is another workaround this error message." ...

Stopping a Campaign Temporarily
Hi, My client has executed the campaign in Jan 1st 2006 and the end date is Dec 31st 2006. But he wants to stop the campaign temporarily from 15th July 2006 and again start it from 1st Aug 2006. So what is that I need to do for this thing, i have never come across this kind of situation before. Thanks in advance. Regards, Shabbir. ...

Conditional cell values
Does anyone know if it is possible to make the input conditions of cell dependent on the value/formula of/in another cell WITHOUT usin excel? something like the example: if (cell_a = pre_defined_value_a OR some_condition/formula_is_true/false) then (cell_b pre_defined_value_b OR some_condition/formula) otherwise (user_can_enter_a_value OR user_can_choose_from_drop_down_list) Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...