Stop a file from automatically opening in Excel 2000

How do you stop a file from automatically opening in Excel
2000?  This file does not exist and there is nothing in
the XLStart folder.
0
anonymous (74718)

Tools>options>general and uncheck ignore other applications

--

For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup.

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do you stop a file from automatically opening in Excel
> 2000?  This file does not exist and there is nothing in
> the XLStart folder.

0
terre081 (3244)
5/31/2004 4:51:18 PM
If you've entered a path under Tools, Options, General, "At startup, open
files in" then any files there will open when Excel starts.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do you stop a file from automatically opening in Excel
> 2000?  This file does not exist and there is nothing in
> the XLStart folder.

0
jrrech (1933)
5/31/2004 9:12:11 PM
Hi Jim,

I thought of that too first but the OP also said
"This file does not exist and there is nothing in
 the XLStart folder." and I couldn't really
associate that with the "At startup etc."

--

"Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you've entered a path under Tools, Options, General, "At startup, open
> files in" then any files there will open when Excel starts.
>
> --
> Jim Rech
> Excel MVP
> "Brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do you stop a file from automatically opening in Excel
> > 2000?  This file does not exist and there is nothing in
> > the XLStart folder.

0
terre081 (3244)
6/1/2004 12:55:02 AM
>>"This file does not exist and there is nothing in the XLStart folder."

Yes, I saw that line but a file that does not exist opening nevertheless
does not compute so I discounted it.  Also, XLSTART and the Alternate
startup folder to separate things so I thought it was worth a shot.

On re-reading this I wonder if perhaps the OP really just wanted Excel to
open with no empty workbook?  If so, Brenda, then change your Excel shortcut
to "Excel.exe /e".

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
| Hi Jim,
|
| I thought of that too first but the OP also said
| "This file does not exist and there is nothing in
| the XLStart folder." and I couldn't really
| associate that with the "At startup etc."
|
| --
|

| For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup.
|
| Regards,
|
| Peo Sjoblom
|
| "Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > If you've entered a path under Tools, Options, General, "At startup,
open
| > files in" then any files there will open when Excel starts.
| >
| > --
| > Jim Rech
| > Excel MVP
| > "Brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > How do you stop a file from automatically opening in Excel
| > > 2000?  This file does not exist and there is nothing in
| > > the XLStart folder.

0
jrrech (1933)

Cannot open attachments
I'm running Office 97 and when I try to open an excel attachment in Outlook I get the error message in Excel saying "The system cannot find the file specified" I ahve gone to the options and 'Ignore other applications' is ticked, I have ran the excel.exe /unregserver and /regserver command and reticked 'Ignore other applications', but still the same problem. Any ideas would be grateful. All I can suggest is you try saving the attachments first- it could b xl can't "see" the outlook file. If you want more help you might want to try the outlo...

Opening JPG attachments
Lately I have been having problems opening attachments with jpg images. I have checked and double-checked my file associations and everything appears correct. When I attempt to open a jpg attachment, that box appears asking me if I want to open the attachment or save it to my hard disk. I don't remember that happening in the past. The jpg attachment would always open up in whatever photo program I had it defaulted to. Any suggestions? Thanks ...

How do you remove the outside border on a chart in Excel 2007?
I have created several charts and an outside border appears on the page. I want to remove that border. ...

Regarding Reading XML Files in Visual C++6.0 using XMLDOMMethod.
Hi, While reading a 4.2 MB XML File in Visual C++ 6.0 using XMLDOM method, it is taking lot of time. But the same XML File when reading in Visual C# using Visual Studio 2005 is taking lesser time. How this Visual C++ 6.0 reading delay in XML can be avoided. ==========Suresh ...

new to excel...
Hi all, I am a programmer but have not used excel in a long time... I am considering myself a new user, and I just exported a couple of sql server tables into excel spreadsheets that I need to compile into a report. The data is basically a product of a survey from which I need to do summaries and charts. The first question is : Is there a way to summarize using conditionals? That is, while the summary is being done, to have counters for different values? The nex is to what is the easiest way to produce a frequency chart from value results in a column. Thanks, and have a wonderful day. ...

Deleting Newsgroups "all at once" in exchange 2000 HOW TO?
Deleting Newsgroups "all at once" in exchange 2000 HOW TO? How do i do this? So i want to quit with the newsserver and delete al the newsgroups all at once from the server... one by one takes me to long? how ? Please send the answer to my email adres info@erikreemst.nl Hi , I found the following link that talk s about the same , hope it helps. For a breif info see the link below , for more details read the link: How to Delete Newsgroups =========================== http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/support/howtogde. mspx#XSLTsection127121120120 (Read...

Excel Files on the Web
Hi, I'm looking at setting up all our excel reporting on my company intranet. We have numerous excel based reports that we currently have on our server that we email out to users. However, we have a diverse user group who reside in many different locations. I'm just looking at any basic advice or software on how this can be achieved. Thanks. ...

csv file
How can I convert all the fields in CSV file to contain double quotation mark at each field? Thanks. Eric, You can use the Text Write Program at www.smokeylake.com. It has an option to put quote marks around all fields. Did you really shoot the sherriff? Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com " -00Eric Clapton" <a@b.com> wrote in message news:emBJfH13FHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > How can I convert all the fields in CSV file to contain double quotation > mark at each field? Thanks. > ...

Can anyone reproduce my Chart error? Is this an Excel BUG?
Try plotting two lines in a XY-chart: Each line should consist of 2 (X,Y) points. The X values of both lines should be set 0 and 5. The Y values should be calculated from other cells as: Y=S1*X+K1 and Y=S2*X+K2. Where S1 and S2 are the slopes and K1 and K2 are the interceptions. Set S1=1, S2=2, K1=0.001 and K2=0.001. Plot the lines in a XY-Chart. The next step is important: Set the X-Axes scaled from 0 to 0.1 and the Y-axes scaled from 0 to 0.1. The BUG: Now try changing S1 to S1=4. It is clear that something is wrong.The lines should have different slope but they have the same!! Go ba...

IE keep saying "Opening page..." for ActiveX with async property
I tried posting this question to microsoft.public.vc.mfcole, but apparently that is an area only suitable for getting answers to simplistic questions. I've not gotten one response for questions I've posted there. I'm hoping there is some knowledgeable, sharing guru in this area that can help... I have a problem that is related to having an asynchronous property in a an ActiveX control that is used on a web page. If you build the MFC ActiveX Control App Wizard project and put it on a page, no problem--IE will load up and the "Opening page..." message wil...

can't open email attachment in earthlink with office 2007 trial ve
New to pc's. I'm a mac-er. Bought a backup pc. downloaded the free 60 day office 2007 trial for Vista. I can open MS word but can't open a MS word document that comes as an attachment in earthlink. It's a bit of an emergency and of course, Gateway says call Microsoft who says they dont offer support for the free trial and to find it here. I've looked and don't see the answer. Thank you, pc'ers. Mhughu Sorry, but this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'd be best off reposting yo...

Median in Excel 2007 pivot-tables
HI, I am working on pivot table for data analysis, where I need to show the median. While working on this I found that "Median" is not supported in pivot tables. Is there any way I can use median function in pivot tables? Best Regards, Venkataramana AFAIK, you can't alter pivot tables, but you can certainly copy/paste special (perhaps a new sheet), and then do whatever you want to it (perhaps in an adjacent column). -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "Venkataramana" wrote: ...

Graphs in Other Files do not Update
Hi, I have a main file with graph (AP.xls) and several sub files with graphs that are linked to the main AP.xls file. The columns of the main file are in months and I often have to add new columns for a new month. I find that if I add new columns using copy => Insert copied cells (the column is inserted to the left of the column being copied), the graph within the AP.xls files is updated with the new column/month. HOWEVER, when i open the other sub files, they aren't updated. HOWEVER, if the sub files are opened together with the main AP.xls file, and I insert the new column, t...

Where is the .ost file ? Outlook 2003
I want to use the inbox repair tool. I did find the scanost and scanpst files in the "1033" folder on my HDD. I wanted to use the scanpst file to scan .ost as you can scan either file, but when I searched for the location --- ending in microsoft\outlook ---- there wa no .ost file. I also scanned my HDD for .ost could not find that extension. And I do run in cached mode. I did use the scanost, but also wanted to use the scanpst tool drill to the location of the .ost file, change the file extension and run. Thanks, Bob Did you check this directory? C:\Doc...

Excel Tool Bar Gone
My "alpha" excel tool bar is gone (e.g., File, Edit, Data, Help). The object tool bars are still there, but I can't figure out how the "alpha" tool bar left or, more importantly, how to get it back. Any ideas? Right click on a toolbar, and choose Customize from the pop up menu. In the dialog that displays, ensure that "Worksheet Menu Bar" is checked. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "txhokie1" <txhokie1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14EE5353-8723-...

Automatically add calendar events?
Using the powershell, is there a way to add calendar events to specific mailboxes? Our vacation time request system is a home grown web-based application. We'd like to configure it so that once the vacation time has been approved, the requesters Outlook calendar would then automatically be populated with "out of office" entries for the days off they requested. Thanks in advance! I think you might have posted this to the wrong group - this is for Excel. Pete On Mar 11, 7:50=A0pm, "jim" <j...@nospam.com> wrote: > Using the powershell, is there a way ...

Mapping a CSV file to an Xml Schema
Hi all, I am getting a CSV file like this from our client: "C1","2","12344","Mr","John","Chan","05/07/1976"......... I need to validate **each filed value** against a set of rules ,for instance for "05/07/1976" ,I need to make sure that it's in the right format ,It's not later than today and lots of other rules ,Is there somebody who can help me how to that?Can I map it to some sort of xml schema or something? Thanks for your help. Ali-R "Ali-R" <AliR@microsft.com> wrote in messa...

stops responding

suppress decimal point combine print word and excel
When I use word to combine print (office 2002). some excel numberic value is long than I expect, I want to suppress decimal point only two digital . for example 20.22233222424 trans to 20.22 how can I do ? scwu@dfjh.tpc.edu.tw Hi in Word you can apply a format to imported fields or round your data in the Excel file with ROUND -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany thomas wrote: > When I use word to combine print (office 2002). > some excel numberic value is long than I expect, I want to suppress > decimal point only two digital . > for example 20.22233222424 trans to 20....

how to save sent items automatically in a particular folder
"sent items" <sent items@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:59D107D0-2F67-421D-814C-22176C6EE5A6@microsoft.com... >Nothing PLEASE write your question in the body of the post and NOT just the subject Have a look here: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm look at Rules and Alerts sent items <sent items@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: <nothing> See Help>Rules and Alerts -- Brian Tillman ...

Pivot Table - wont refresh
I've not experienced this problem in Excel 2000, but after upgrading to Excel 2003, there's an odd problem. Has anyone experience something similar - User error or bug? The problem: 1. Create pivot table with pivot table 'pages'. 2. The page selection list includes a listing that is not in the raw data. Refreshing the pivot table wont reset. It is possible to ascertain from the list order, which data item is being incorrectly shown. 3. In the raw data, replace the name of the incorrectly displayed data item with something else (eg 'ABC') 4. refresh the pivot tab...

Incorrect date in line chart in Excel.
I'm having difficulty with a line chart. I've got two ranges of numbers of two types of calls (from 1972 through 2004) that goes up from 50 to 7700. My chart's Y axis has automatically decided to show from 0 to 16,000. On the chart itself, my data placement starts at about 6,000 (for both 24 “F” calls and 649 “M” calls in the year 1972) and goes up to a point above 14,000 (for a figure that should only be just above 7000). I've tried to change the scale of my Y axis, but when I am able to so (2 out of 5 times) my data then goes off the chart. So I've looked at m...

blue stop screen 0x0000007E

QuickBooks export to Excel
Suddenly, my QuickBooks program no longer allows me to export to Excel. Worked fine a week ago. I can log onto QB from every other pc in the office, and export to Excel works. Any ideas? Since you are exporting from QB I would start at that end. What trouble-shooting have you done? What message do you get when you try an export from QB? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 06:41:02 -0700, SecurityGuy <SecurityGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Suddenly, my QuickBooks program no longer allows me to export to Excel. >Worked fine a week ago. I...