starting a cell with a /

Is it possible to do this?

I want one of my columns to contain a directory name, which in unix
starts with a forward slash.

I can put a space in front of it, but I'd rather not.

Thanks in advance,
0
none229 (2)

Hi

try
'/
the apostrophe won't display or print

Cheers
JulieD

"G. Mule" <none@nev.dull> wrote in message
> Is it possible to do this?
>
> I want one of my columns to contain a directory name, which in unix
> starts with a forward slash.
>
> I can put a space in front of it, but I'd rather not.
>
> Thanks in advance,

0
JulieD1 (2295)
7/29/2004 4:36:21 PM
glad to assist :)

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:36:21 +0800, "JulieD"
> <JulieD@hctsReMoVeThIs.net.au> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >try
> >'/
> >the apostrophe won't display or print
> >

> And best of all, it doesn't save it in the tab-delimited file that I'm
> creating from this spreadsheet.
>
> Thanks!
>
> >Cheers
> >JulieD
> >
> >"G. Mule" <none@nev.dull> wrote in message
> >> Is it possible to do this?
> >>
> >> I want one of my columns to contain a directory name, which in unix
> >> starts with a forward slash.
> >>
> >> I can put a space in front of it, but I'd rather not.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,

0
JulieD1 (2295)
7/29/2004 4:50:27 PM
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:36:21 +0800, "JulieD"
<JulieD@hctsReMoVeThIs.net.au> wrote:

>Hi
>
>try
>'/
>the apostrophe won't display or print

And best of all, it doesn't save it in the tab-delimited file that I'm
creating from this spreadsheet.

Thanks!

>Cheers
>JulieD
>
>"G. Mule" <none@nev.dull> wrote in message
>> Is it possible to do this?
>>
>> I want one of my columns to contain a directory name, which in unix
>> starts with a forward slash.
>>
>> I can put a space in front of it, but I'd rather not.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,

0
none229 (2)
7/29/2004 4:51:24 PM
Alternative.

Tools>Options>Transition.  Clear the / from the "menu or help key" and you can
enter the / directly.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:51:24 -0700, G. Mule <none@nev.dull> wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:36:21 +0800, "JulieD"
><JulieD@hctsReMoVeThIs.net.au> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>try
>>'/
>>the apostrophe won't display or print
>>

>And best of all, it doesn't save it in the tab-delimited file that I'm
>creating from this spreadsheet.
>
>Thanks!
>
>>Cheers
>>JulieD
>>
>>"G. Mule" <none@nev.dull> wrote in message
>>> Is it possible to do this?
>>>
>>> I want one of my columns to contain a directory name, which in unix
>>> starts with a forward slash.
>>>
>>> I can put a space in front of it, but I'd rather not.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,

0
Gord

Starting up on start-up help!

How can I type within a cell like it is a word document?
Hi, Is there a way to type text within a cell where I can choose the position of the text by clicking within the cell like you can within a word document? I'd like to be able to easily type in something like this: YOU: ME: No I can not do that! (happy) Yes you can! And be able to select the placement of my text WITHOUT having to hold down the cursor to push it forward. Thanks! N...

Need advice to start off a project
Hello! I have never really used Excel much but I have had an idea which could make some of the work I do a lot easier. I know Excel is powerful but I don't know the best way to approach it so can anyone out there help me? I make visits to places and record what kind of visit it was on a spreadsheet with the values in each cell being the date. At the bottom there is a summary box which shows, on each date, how many visits I made of each type. At the moment this is done manually but I am sure it can be done automatically only how? On a different sheet I would then like to have a summary of...

Can an excel cell automatically change fill colors based on values
I'm developing a customer satisfaction index. My question is: Can the fill color of a cell automatically change to a pre-determined color based on the cells value. Example: If the cells value shows an average of 3.5 or greater the cell fill color would be green. Thanks for your help. I look forward to your response. Hi John yes, if you have three or less conditions use Format / Conditional Formatting. For more than three you can use VBA. Please feel free to post back with the conditions and required results if you would like more assistance. Regards JulieD "John Clark...

Cannot start Outlook 2002
My computer is usualy connected to an MS Exchange server at work. However I'd like to use Outlook at home with another e-mail account. When I try to start Outlook I get an error message : Cannot connect to exchange server. So I click work offline. Then, get another error message: Cannot start Outlook. Could not open information store. The the program quits. Anyone know a work around? Thanks. Create a new profile for your home account. Then set Outlook to prompt for profile. Select your home profile and Outlook will not try to connect to Exchange. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook...

some unknown Cell styles are shown in cell styles
some of my files of office 2003 which i am opening in office 2007 with same format of .xls are showing some unknown Cell styles in cell styles tab. How to remove all this unknown styles ...

Formula
I hope I can explain this clearly. I need advise on how to write a formula that will: 1) look thru a string of cells in a column for a match to a number specified in another cell 2)then return the person name located in the cell next to the match Sounds simple except ther will be multiple matches to the number and each match can have a different name. I need to show all the names that match, seperated by a comma, in this one cell. The VLOOKUP function should do this. If the value to be matched is in A1 and the list of data is in B1:C100, then use =VLOOKUP(A1,B1:C100,2,FAL...

Exchange Services Do not Start After a Restart #2
I have a SBS 2003 Running and for some reason some of my Exchange Service do not start after a restart. System Attendand tries to start shuts down unexpectedly. I can go to services right after logging in and start the services and they start with no problem. Right before the error that service did not start, I get this warning: "A service process other than the one launched by the Service Control Manager connected when starting the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service. The Service Control Manager launched process 2448 and process 3688 connected instead. Note that if this se...

Macro or Lookup? Not sure where to start.
I have created two worksheets: 1) Auction Items Item# Table# Location# ItemDescription WinBid are the headers of the data. 2) Bidders Bidder# FirstName LastName I would like to be able to create a macro or something that will allow me to enter the item#, bidder# and winning bid price and have a sheet filled with. ie. Item# 2 (Handcrafted Table) Bidder# 12 (John Doe) Winning Bid $250 Can excel pull from two sheets and created another sheet with all the final details? I am a little new to excel (version 2000) it is the only tool/application available to us at this time. If anyone can poi...

Outlook starting problem
"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. A dialog box is open. Close it and try again." ...

merge cell data
merge three cells "change 04/02/07 to 040207" <change040207to040207@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEE9D8A5-22FF-47DC-9E10-E9705EC8E714@microsoft.com... > merge three cells Depending what the cells contain, you could use Concatenate.... =A1&B1&C1 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 18 May 2007 04:59:01 -0700, change 04/02/07 to 040207 <change040207to040207@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >merge three cells ...

Running CHKDSK at start up
Is there a way to run chkdsk f/r on all five drives on one PC at start up? PC runs Windows XP Pro SP3. This way all drives would be checked and errors fixed, if necessary, in one go, at start up on this machine. We intend to do this on this heavily used PC from time to time - we do not need the desired chkdsk functionality to kick in at every boot! Regards and TIA. Avatar -------- "Avatar" <Avatar@re.birth> wrote in message news:hrb4n2$53i$1@news.eternal-september.org... > Is there a way to run chkdsk f/r on all five drives on one PC at start up? ...

How do I add consecutive numbers but start over at a break in the.
add consecutive numbers but start over at a break in them. I'm trying to calculate consecutive days of attendance. ...

Starting a new paragraph within a cell
How do you create a line break within a cell? For example, if wanting to list 2 or more items it looks better if each one is printed under the other as a list. Or in a comment column when needing to start a new paragraph, again within the cell. Hi. You can press Alt + Enter to create a line break within a cell. Kath firman wrote: > How do you create a line break within a cell? For example, if wanting to list > 2 or more items it looks better if each one is printed under the other as a > list. Or in a comment column when needing to start a new paragraph, again > within th...

How to go to specified values of a cell in a highlighted area?
Can sombody please help me? I want to know how to have excel go to cells in a column (or highlighted area) that contain ONLY the value that I specify. Say, If I have a column full of random numbers, and I want to delete all cells that contain the value 0, how can I do that without having to delete it one by one? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Marilyn, How to do it depends on how often you have to do it. If it is a once only job, - sort the data on t...

Can't Start Any Program
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel It has been two weeks since I can open an Office Program. Please HEEELP! This is my word error report: Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0 Error Signature: Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS Date/Time: 2009-09-09 19:04:02 -0400 Application Name: Microsoft Word Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word Application Signature: MSWD Application Version: 12.2.0.090605 Crashed Module Name: CoreFoundation Crashed Module Version: unknown Crashed Module Offset: 0x00075354 Blame Module Name: CoreFoundation Blame Module Version: unk...

Inserting combo box into a specific range/cell using vba?
morning all, is it possible for me to insert a combo box into a specfic range/cell using vba? thanks richard This will insert a ComboBox from the forms tool bar. Inserting the combobox into B1:C1 use A1:A9 as the input range F1 as the linked cell. Sub InsertComboBox() With Range("B1:C1") Set Comb = ActiveSheet.DropDowns.Add(.Left, .Top, .Width, .Height) End With With Comb ..ListFillRange = "$A$1:$A$9" ..LinkedCell = "$F$1" End With End Sub beautiful! thx "CurlyDave" <davesexcel@gmail.com> wrote in message news:46c533d9-49cc-4a13-84ba-3fa...

format cells in column
Hi. Need a little help please. I have a column named 'Names,' In that column, the names appear as last, first. Is it possible to remove the comma from every cell in that column? Thank you. Hi Brian Try using Edit / Replace (ALT E E) Find what: , Replace With: can put nothing or put a space in to separate the names HTH "Brian L" wrote: > Hi. Need a little help please. I have a column named 'Names,' In that column, > the names appear as last, first. Is it possible to remove the comma from > every cell in that column? Thank you. ...

How do I limit the number of characters in a cell?
When try to limit the number of characters allowed in cell by going through the data/validation menu, it still allows more than the number of characters than I specified. I don't get it :( ...

Quick SUMIF() query
Using Excel 2007 okay, so I'm wanting to SUMIF a range of data in a row if that data exceeds the value the cell at the end of the range. So say I have a range from A1:A10 containg numbers and I want to sum them if those values are less than the value in A11. the formula I tried is as follows: =SUMIF(A1:A10,>A11,A1:A10) and it doesn't like it (and putting the >A11 in quotes obviously doesn't make any sense either). Needing to copy this down 63000 rows means I can't just take the value in cell A11. (NB I'll probably need to take averages using either AVERAGEIF or CO...

CD does not start
After installing XP on a new disk everything appeared normal. I was able to install a few applications from their cds. Then I attempted to install an application from a downloaded file, but it did not work. So I installed MS frame works and windows installer. Then I was able to install the application from the downloaded file. When I attempted to install another application from its cd (with autorun), nothing happened, namely it fail to start. If I force the setup.exe from Explorer, the error message shows up: "the application configuration is incorrect". Thinking for...

reference a cell AND its format in a new cell
Seems like there would be a simple way to reference a cell and any formatting it has. For example, A1=5 and the 5 is underlined and in red. The entry in A2 is =A1 and I want A2 to show not only the 5 but I also want it to preserve and show the same formatting that was applied to A1. Thanks in advance for the help. Formulas don't do this kind of thing. You could copy|Paste???? TiChNi wrote: > > Seems like there would be a simple way to reference a cell and any > formatting it has. For example, A1=5 and the 5 is underlined and in > red. The entry in A2 is =A1 and I want ...

Hiding Formula in cells
Hello everyone, I used to know this, but ..... old age... There is a way to hide formulae in cells, but the sheet needed to be protected I believe. Anyone knows how this was done? Thanks Hi Thrava, Format | Cells | Select Protection tab | Check "Hidden" Then protect the worksheet. --- Regards, Norman "thrava" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15de01c4e884$17eea760$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hello everyone, > > I used to know this, but ..... old age... > > There is a way to hide formulae in cells, but the sheet > nee...

Money 2007 tries to update on each start
On each start up, Money 2007 advises that in order to run properly an update to Money 2007 is necessary. When I click OK it downloads files and again I click to start the upgrade. After a few minutes the update completes and a dialog box advises that I should restart Money and if it will not open properly I should restart my computer. I do so and all seems to be OK, but on starting money the update dialog box is back. I checked the Money folder and the update log shows that the update completed. So how do I stop the annoying update dialog box from displaying on each start? "GWL&qu...

Cell ID now R1C1, not Cell A1- how do I change back?
I have been using Excel for years and have a basic understanding. I' VERY used to identifying cells with a letter and number. But someon sent me a spreadsheet that identifies both columns (which used to b letters) with numbers, as well as the rows! It's driving me nuts. can't find the answer anywhere. How do I change it back? When tryin to check my work, I hate counting to see how many rows over and column up for a cell location. Thanks in advance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Tools>Options>General and uncheck R1C1 Style reference ** Posted ...