SS#'s lose lose formatting in .csv

Hi,

I have a user who is entering a list of ss numbers. She
has to have them in this format:

First off, we can't get the leading 0 to stay, it just
disappears. I have tried formatting the column as text, as
numbers, as custom #########, and like '983474744.   No
matter what we do, after saving and opening it again, the
leading 0's are gone and some number turn in exponential
notations. Can someone please help?? This should be an
easy fix, but it seems the formatting I put on this does
not hold!!   thanks in advance.....Bill
0
anonymous (74717)

Select the column

Either click:

Format > Cells > Special > Social Security Number > OK

or

Format > Cells > Custom > Type: 000000000 > OK

hth
Max
Please reply in newsgroup

Use xdemechanik
<dot>yahoo<dot>com for email
"Bill" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a user who is entering a list of ss numbers. She
> has to have them in this format:
>
> 024574882
> 712894748
>
> First off, we can't get the leading 0 to stay, it just
> disappears. I have tried formatting the column as text, as
> numbers, as custom #########, and like '983474744.   No
> matter what we do, after saving and opening it again, the
> leading 0's are gone and some number turn in exponential
> notations. Can someone please help?? This should be an
> easy fix, but it seems the formatting I put on this does
> not hold!!   thanks in advance.....Bill

0
demechanik (4694)
11/10/2003 4:43:30 PM
If you look at your .csv file in notepad, I bet it looks ok.

But reimporting it into excel will get rid of the leading 0's.

If you change the extension to .txt and then File|Open, you'll see the
data|import wizard and you can specify that that field is text (and all the
numbers will be kept).

(And if you widen that column, do your numbers formatted in scientific notation
revert to something you like?)

(Or you could just import them into excel and format the column like Max wrote.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

can you input time (hh:mm:ss) without having to input the colon i.
hi - I've got lots of numbers to input - all of them are times. Does anyone know hoe I can input the times as hh:mm:ss without having to input the colon (:) inbetween the numbers everytime. Thanks! See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Lexicon" <Lexicon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AB3C126B-4F73-44B2-BB26-FCE29024BD27@microsoft.com... > hi - I've got lots of numbers to input - all of them are times. Does anyone > know hoe I can input the times as hh:mm:s...

Error: $customObject | format-table
I see this problem all over but have tried every proposed solution but nothing provided works for me. Bottom line, I am creating a custom object via .csv import but when trying to format-(to anything), I get the error shown below the script. Sorry if this is a dead-horse. BTW...using v2 on W2K8R2. Everything works except the last line. If the "ft" is not there, the results are listed in "format-list" by default...but I want a table format. (Script below is word-wrapped of course". ###Beginning of script param([SWITCH]$help, [STRING]$ouDN, [STRING]...

office format palette
does anyone know how to fix the strange disappearance of the format=20 palatte on office for mac? it opens entirely off the screen and i'm=20 unable to click on it to move it to an area where it is visible. how = did it=20 get there in the first place? strange! thanks, eilie In article <077101c3af7e$7d3ff730$3101280a@phx.gbl>, "eilie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > does anyone know how to fix the strange disappearance of the format > palatte on office for mac? it opens entirely off the screen and i'm > unable to click on it to mov...

Outlook 2003 loses connection to Exchange 2003
We are experiencing delays with outlook 2003 connecting to exchange 2003. I have received numerous conplains from my clients taking 2-10 minutes for their outlook to re-connect to exchange expecially when switching between views. There has been times some users conplained it took up to 25 minutes with the "retrieving message from exchange" popup runing to just retrieve mssages. My testing have ruled out all network related issues and seem to narrow it down to outlook 2003. We are not using cache mode. Has anyone seen this problem and have any solution? Thanks ...

Text Box Conditional Formatting
I'm would like to change the background color on a few Text Boxes when a certain condition is met. I am using Conditional Formatting which is kinda working. It seems that I cannot change the background color on a text box if it has a control source. I am only getting conditional formatting to work if the text box is unbound and sent to back. Is that the way it should be or am I doing something wrong? I'm in Access 2000. I've just used this code to change the label colour if a box is ticked Private Sub txtwithdrawn_AfterUpdate() > If Me.txtwithdrawn =True Then > Me.txt...

How do I format a picture fill in my pie chart?
I've put a picture into a 3-D pie chart in Excel by clicking on the wedge I want, going to fill effects, and inserting a picture. However, I don't want the picture to show on the vertical sides of the chart - I want that just to be white. There's a menu in the picture fill effects tab that has an Apply to: menu and check boxes next to Sides, Front and End, but I'm not allowed to use them. Is there any way to take the picture off the sides of a 3-D pie chart while leaving it visible on top? Thanks. ...

Master List Losing Record Due to Update from Links
I have a master document that is linked to 7 other excel sheets. Now the other excel sheets are modified by different users and the master document is for generating reports. But I found out that whenever new records are added in the attached excel sheets, I lose some data from the Master sheet. Please any help would be highly appreciated. Kenneth, Sounds like the "post" command that you have is overwriting data on the master. How are you posting data from the 7 others onto the master? Macro? Without knowing it's hard to tell what's really going on. "Kenne...

Blocking spam sent in picture format
Hello world, I recently installed Exchange SP2, and IMF V2 is working very well. The xml file to block certain keyword is great. The next challange i'm facing is alot of the junk mails which simply has an image in the body of the emails are getting pass the filter. I can't block those becase the spammer are copying paragraph from books, wep pages. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to block those spams? Thanks in advance. Ramy On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 07:17:03 -0700, ITDUDE27 <ITDUDE27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >Hello world, > >I recently install...

ss
ssss "�����" <jome_candy@yahoo.com.cn> wrote in message news:eyccI6C4KHA.1716@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > ssss > "$B%f�9!V%h%_(B" <jome_candy@yahoo.com.cn> wrote in message news:eyccI6C4KHA.1716@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > ssss > ...

Lose columns when copying to Word
When copying several columns (10-12) of data to Word, the last one or two columns gets dropped when I paste. I use the paste special/picture into the Word document as this best meets my needs. This only happens sometimes, and I can't figure out why. Anybody have any ideas as to what might be causing this? Thanks. ...

conditional formatting? #2
hi guys, i have a spreedsheet that i am using for setting up schedules. i don't want to book someone in a certain workgroup when they are booked in for another at the same time. basically i want to format (?) a cell so that its value (name) does not equal any value (name) in a table (just a group of 10 cells, 2x5, in the same sheet). what does work is using conditional formatting and stating that if the cell equals another cell reference then it comes up red - thus indicating to me that they are booked in twice. this is fine but i want to have 10 conditions like this (1...

How To Raise Prices Without Losing Sales
The secrets of making customers HAPPY to pay HIGHER prices. Raising your price will have a HUGE impact on your bottom line. 12 "invisible" ways to raise prices. Do you offer coupons? Rebates? Discount promotions? "Tweak" what you offer - so you can price higher. "Packaging" changes that increase value to customers. How changing your ads can let you raise prices! How to conclude sales negotiations -- with fatter profits. Profit-raising opportunities provided by your competitors. No time-wasting mumbo-jumbo theories! http://sales.cpa-site.com/more.htm ...

How can I format an SSN to display only the last four digits?
I'm using Excel 2002, and I'm trying to figure out how I can format a cell to only display the last four digits of an entered number. I thought I'd done it before, but I have no idea how. Help? never seen that happen with cell formatting or without a workshee function -- icestationzbr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- icestationzbra's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=458 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26398 ...

how do I export all my contacts at one time in vcf format?
I'm trying to get all my contacts into another program that only accepts vcards. While I know that I can save individual contacts as vcf, how do I save all my contacts at one time into a vcf file? Using Outlook 2007 You will need a 3rd party utility - several available by searching google One possible option can be found here (not related to us - provided purely FYI): http://vcard4outlook.4team.biz/ Karl ___________________________________________________________ Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group ContactGenie - Importer/DataPorter/Exporter/Toolkit/Duplicate Contact M...

copying a worksheet tab with a chart, without losing chart formatt
If I copy an Excel 2007 worksheet tab with a chart, the copied sheet loses some of the formatting and / or chart series information. How can I resolve this? Ta ...

date formatting #6
I am trying to get a date to be formatted within a formula with text an numbers. The date keeps coming out numerical. Can I stop this, and ca I get it to give me what day of the week it is? for example: =SUM(AA21+AA23) both cells represent dates I would like AA23 to be formatted so it will be 01/13/04 tues Can this be done? Thanks,Lan -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "sunroyal >" <<sunroyal.zzibs@excelforum-nos...

Charting Items in H:MM:SS format and/or converting H:MM:SS to all
I want to create a chart using a time format. (it was to do with how long it takes different people to do the same function). I can't find a way to do that. So I thought I'd beat the system and just convert it all to all seconds. I can't find a way to do that either. Ideas? 1. To keep it in time format, make sure you enter the times into the cells in H:MM:SS format (or H:MM). If you enter M:SS, Excel's going to interpret it as H:MM. You'll have a column with names and the next column with times. Put a label above the Time column ("Time"), but leave th...

Moving groups of objects without losing the property
I am trying to move some messages of a sequence diagram along the vertical plane, since the connection of the message with the object is lost, the property of the message is also lost. Does anyone know how to move an group of messages without losing the associated properties. ...

Accounting Category Display does not show the correct format/outpu
My apologies if this is a known bug or I am missing something... On a worksheet in a spreadsheet, I have some cells already having numeric values in. When I try and format to Accounting Category, they remain as eg 4.4, 0.9 left justified, rather than 4.40 and 0.90 right justified. I have inserted another column to no avail. Is there some global action on the active worksheet that is stopping me changing the format? When I look at the format cells, it does say that the cells are Accounting and 2 decimal places In fact whatever I change it to, the cells remain the same value/output d...

Formatting #12
I copied some text (multiple lines) into a cell and I can see all of the text when I am in the cell, but once I click out of the cell, the text "hides" under the next column. I have tried every kind of formatting change that I can think of, but that text will not show, wrap, or justify correctly. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, any suggestions? Maybe setting the wordwrap format|cells|alignment tab|check wrap text You may have to increase the rowheight to see all your text. (and alt-enters will force new lines within the cell (you can break it where you want).) Cherie ...

Losing the Pointer when trying to close Outlook
We are running Outlook 2003 on Windows XP Professional. When closing Outllook 2003 by clicking on the X on the upper right-hand corner, the X is grayed out. It is an intermitten problem. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks. Diane Walker wrote: > We are running Outlook 2003 on Windows XP Professional. When closing > Outllook 2003 by clicking on the X on the upper right-hand corner, the X is > grayed out. It is an intermitten problem. Do you have any suggestions? > Thanks. > Sorry, but couldn't resist. I was driving during the winter. Had just finished shoveling, an...

Default number format
Is there a way to change the default NUMBER format for new workbooks? I found the default FONT, but not default NUMBER format. Dave French David Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish. File>Save As Type: scroll down to Excel Template(*.XLT) and select. Name your workbook "BOOK"(no quotes). Excel will add the .XLT to save as BOOK.XLT. Store this workbook in the XLSTART folder usually located at........ C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART This will be the default workbook for File>New>Workbook. You can also open a new wo...

All Distribution Lists in everyones mailbox lose reference to cont
All of the distribution lists say unresolved entry in OWA, and attempt to repair in outlook. That the contact may have moved. Is there a way to scan the exchange server and fix the DL relationships to the respective contacts? ...

conditional formatting #value!
Hi Is it possible to create a conditional formatting condition that can detect the condition of #VALUE! ? That is NOT the text string but the "error condition". What I am trying to highlight is that certain calculated values have not been correctly calculated on the sheet and need further investigation. Thanks Clive Hi Clive, Use the 'Formula Is' option on the conditional formating dialog and enter the following, assuming the cells is A1. =ERROR.TYPE(A1)=3 You can also use the Go To dialog (CTRL+G), Special... to locate cells with Errors. Cheers Andy Clive Long...

Keep losing Outlook.pst File
I am running Outlook XP with all current service packs & updates installed on XP Pro PC which all works fine, except that I seem to lose my outlook.pst file every few months for no apparent reason. I have configured all autoarchiving to NO ARCHIVING so I don't think this is my problem. When I search PC for OUTLOOK.PST it ca't be found. Can anyone shed some light on how to fix or stop this happening & where the file is going. JohnT wrote: > I am running Outlook XP with all current service packs & > updates installed on XP Pro PC which all works fine, > excep...