Spreadsheet Disappears when opening a new sheet

When attempting to open a spreadsheet I find at certain times that th
sheet cannot be viewed unless I choose the Full Screen option.  Also
when I open multiple sheets the previously opened sheets seem t
disappear.  It as if the new sheet overlaps the current sheet that ha
been minimized.

The previously opened sheets are still there and opened, but in orde
to view them I must 'close' the sheets I justed opened becaus
minimizing doesn't seem to work.  When I 'minimize' the newly opene
sheets there is no indication that the old sheet is still there (eve
though it is).  Like I mentioned before it's as if the tab of old shee
which I have minimized has been overlapped with the tab of the ne
sheet.

This problem is making it very difficult to work or access more tha
one spreadsheet at a time.  Any help you can provide on this matte
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Not sure if you have a problem or just don't like the way Excel works
:)

I cycle through my open Excel workbooks using Ctrl-Tab.  They are al
maximized and I seem to get along fine.  Also, any open workbook shoul
be on your task bar.

Thanks for the reply.

I will try your suggestion.  The problem I'm having is very strange
I've been working with Excel a long time and never encountered it.

Let me try to explain a bit better as to what happens.

I open an excel file, but I see a blank screen even though I know th
file opened.  I go to full screen and there it is, I go back to norma
view and it's not there.

Also, let's say it opened fine and I can see it in normal view.  When
minimize it and open another file, the new file I opened is the onl
one visible in my excel task bar.  Same thing happens if I just open
new file with minimizing the old one...it's not in the excel task ba
anymore.  When you open the new file you can see it, for a spli
second, overlap the old file I had open on the taskbar.

Strange isn't it

Very strange indeed.  Do you have macros enabled?  It could be that i
you open some workbook, some malicious things are happening.  Does i
always happen after a certain file?

Sorry to be so simplistic on my first post, but I've seen some prett
new folks post and didn't know your skill level.

Thanks again for the speedy reply.  I have used the 'hold shift' optio
while starting Excel to disable macros on startup, but this seemed t
have little effect.

I doubt the spreadsheets I'm using have macros since they are prett
basic (do not have an visual basic objects in them).

It does seem to be one particular file that is screwing everything up.
The control tab function does work (thanks for reminding me about tha
shortcut).

It's funny, it's as if the minimized file is outside the view on th
screen because I opened 4 files and 3 were showing just fine in exce
task bar, but when I used the control tab function I could access al
4.  Also, I minimized all the sheets and used the control tab functio
to see what would happen when it reached the one that is not visible.
It highlights the visible sheets and then disappears, when you hit i
again it highlights the first visible one again.  I guess it i
highlighting the invisible one also since it disappears the forth tim
you hit control tab.

Even though I think it's a particular file, I have access this fil
several times before without this happening.

I think the sheet is somewhere on excel taskbar, you just cannot se
it.

Very weird.

Again, I appreciate the help

I'm not sure if I follow, but if you click on Window on the worksheet menubar,
do you see the workbooks you expect to be open?

If you see both workbooks, how about
window|Arrange|tiled
and resize by hand.

Sometimes worksheets can be just off the visible screen--a difference I usually
blame on laptop users with funny video settings.

Don't forget to save your workbook the way you want it (if this worked).

"DocShock <" wrote:

> Thanks again for the speedy reply.  I have used the 'hold shift' option
> while starting Excel to disable macros on startup, but this seemed to
> have little effect.
>
> I doubt the spreadsheets I'm using have macros since they are pretty
> basic (do not have an visual basic objects in them).
>
> It does seem to be one particular file that is screwing everything up.
> The control tab function does work (thanks for reminding me about that
> shortcut).
>
> It's funny, it's as if the minimized file is outside the view on the
> screen because I opened 4 files and 3 were showing just fine in excel
> task bar, but when I used the control tab function I could access all
> 4.  Also, I minimized all the sheets and used the control tab function
> to see what would happen when it reached the one that is not visible.
> It highlights the visible sheets and then disappears, when you hit it
> again it highlights the first visible one again.  I guess it is
> highlighting the invisible one also since it disappears the forth time
> you hit control tab.
>
> Even though I think it's a particular file, I have access this file
> several times before without this happening.
>
> I think the sheet is somewhere on excel taskbar, you just cannot see
> it.
>
> Very weird.
>
> Again, I appreciate the help.
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
4/13/2004 11:49:41 PM
Had the same issue.  Not sure what caused it, but here is a work around that worked for me
1. open the bad spread sheet
2. click new to open a blank spread sheet
3. hit control-tab to move over to the bad spread sheet
4. right click on excel on the taskbar and click minimize
5. right click on excel on the taskbar and click maximize.  Your missing sheet should appear
6. copy the contents of the bad sheet into a new sheet
7. save the new sheet and use it

You may have to fool around with minimizing/restoring/maximizing it to get it to appear.  Make sure you have a blank sheet open before you try to make it appear or it will never appear.
0
anonymous (74722)

edit a comment while protect sheet is on the cell is unprotected
i want other useres to b able to enter /edit a comment in an unprotected cell when protect sheet is on When protecting the sheet enable "Edit Objects" in the allow users to list. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 10:20:02 -0800, Rubber 4 u <Rubber4u@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i want other useres to b able to enter /edit a comment in an unprotected cell >when protect sheet is on ...

How do I copy page setup from one worksheet & paste into new shee.
I have set up a template in one Excel worksheet and want to be able to paste it into new worksheets. My problem is that I the have to adjust the page setup in each new worksheet. Is there a way I can copy the page setup into the new worksheet? Hi if this sheet is the first in your workbook try: - select this sheet and the other sheet(s). Hold down the CTRL key to group the sheets - goto the page setup dialog and simply hit OK -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Rasc0" <Rasc0@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:7E2EB66D-90F8-49F6-9043-62CBB9CCE602...

power spreadsheet users wanted for beta tests
The makers of Personal Audio Link, a cellphone_to_VoIP application, are offering six months free Vonage telephone service to beta clients for a new "remote cellphone to PC" sofware. They are looking for power spreadsheet users to sample the software, in exchange for the free Vonage service and comments to the website's user forum re: likes and dislikes, suggestins, etc. http://www.adondo.net/Personal-Audio-Link.htm It allows users to send and receive e-mail by voice, via cell phone, interact w/ & parse records in their Excel spreadsheets by cellphone, from a cellphone, g...

Auto numbering of spreadsheets
I have created an elec application form for use on a telephony section. Each time a user enters the form when a customer rings, I want the form to be numbered automatically, so that each form has a reference number. There is the possibilty that more than one user will open the form at any one time - will they still have seperate IDs? Can this be done? Any help appreciated... Thank you, -- Rob, Teesside, UK "abfabrob" <abfabrob@yahoo.co.uk.NO_SPAM> wrote in message news:DED8584A-3418-4068-8A4D-BC10CBC396C9@microsoft.com... >I have created an elec application form for...

Too long time to open My Computer folder
It takes some 3 minutes to open My Computer folder. The searching torchlight animation is shown all this time. The OS is Windows XP x64 Pro, laptop with Turion TL-56 processor. I cannot figure out the reason for this. The other tasks and applications run quite fast. ...

wHY WON'T MOST DOWNLOADED .XLS FILES OPEN IN VERSION 5.0 ?
I am still using Excel Version 5.0. (Ha-Ha) When I try to open a .XLS file from a Website, I get an error message reading something like: "not a valid ..xls file" Is this because 5.0 is so old, or is there another issue here? How can I deal with this? Thank you. When xl97 was released, the format of the .xls files changed. xl97 (and above) can read those old file versions, but that old version can't read the newer files. Time to visit eBay (xl2k should be available/cheap)???? Al the Elder wrote: > > I am still using Excel Version 5.0. (Ha-Ha) When I try to op...

Disappearing Attachments
All of the sudden Outlook is not letting me receive attachments. I get the error message OE removed access to the following unsafe attachmnets.... I know these attachments are safe. Any ideas on why this is happening this is due to the latest patch which u might have apply using Windows Update. Simply do a mail forwarding (no need to enter a recipient), u will find all the attachments there. >-----Original Message----- >All of the sudden Outlook is not letting me receive attachments. I get the error message > >OE removed access to the following unsafe attachmnets.... ...

Error restoring GP to new server
I installed a new server and installed SQL 2000 and greatplains. I copied the database backups and tried restoring the old DBs to the new server. I am getting the following error when trying to access the companies: A get/change first operation on table 'ASI_MSTR_Explorer_Favorites' failed accessing SQL data Any help would be greatly appreciated. BW Did you install all of the products on the new server? "Bruce Wayne" wrote: > I installed a new server and installed SQL 2000 and greatplains. I copied > the database backups and tried restoring the old DBs ...

new mail not going to the top
Using windows explorer - vista - new mail goes sny place within the older mail. -- lois "lois" <lois@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5CA74F79-31FE-4B2C-BC7F-DDB4F1FB750A@microsoft.com... > Using windows explorer - vista - new mail goes sny place within the older > mail. > -- > lois You can sort incoming mail in several ways, as single messages or group them by conversation. You can also sort it by each individual column, Subject, From, To, Receive etc simply by clicking on the title of the column heading name, once to sort ...

Setting up Word to automatically open in Standard mode, zoom=page margins
I've tried to find ways to handle this through the normal.dot file and can't find it... Word wants to open in layout mode and 200% zoom, forcing me to manually select mode and zoom. Any way to get Word to do what I want instead of what it wants? Thanks for your time. ===== Edward Lipsett Fukuoka, Japan Hi Edward: Word will open each document in the view and zoom it as last saved in. The onyl way to have a particular view happen every time is to create an AutoOpen() macro that specifies the view you want. Turn on your Macro Recorder and record yourself setting the view and zo...

creating spreadsheet with colunms for names adresses & zipcodes
How do I create a spreadsheet with seperate colunms for names, addresses & zipcodes? I want to use this with streets & trips so I can map several adresses at one time. I don't understand the question, if you want to create a spreadsheet you need to type in headers for each needed column, then put the names and addresses in their respective column? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "neilabu" <neilabu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D747DCB4-6EC8-4886-8109-3B72C67046E4@microsoft.com... > How do I create a spreadsheet with seperate colunms for names,...

Searching for data and inserting new rows
Hi I have a spreadsheet from one of our clothing suppliers, which I am going to import into our database for ordering. The format is: Part No. / Description / Price / Size The size is given as a range (i.e M-XL) for each item of clothing What I want to do is analyse the size range and extract what sizes are available, then insert new rows for each of these sizes So, M-XL becomes: Part No/ Description / Price / M Part No / Description / Price / L Part No / Description / Price / XL I've got over 800 individual lines to do, so any help on automating this task would be helpful!! Thanks ...

Maximum spreadsheet sort limit
Morning all, Can someone tell me if Excel 2000 has a maximum sort limit in terms of number of rows? The reason I ask is that the spreadsheet we are currently using is 17000 or so rows and when it is sorted there is still a large number of rows that appear to be unsorted. Thanks in advance for any assistance Paul Paul, I just did a simple test and loaded 60,000+ rows and sorted them.Looks perfect to me. There must be some other factor affecting it. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Paul Townsend" <PaulTownsend@discussions.microsoft.c...

New to Outlook #9
Some E-mail gives me an error stating error with previewer. MS Office Outlook message and item previewer. How do I correct this problem, and be able to view my mail? Danny <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Some E-mail gives me an error stating error with previewer. MS Office > Outlook message and item previewer. How do I correct this problem, > and be able to view my mail? Using Outlook 2007? Always state your Outlook version. What distinguishes the mail that does not give you the error from that which does? Do you have attachments? If so, what type of documen...

How do I get year to date earnings on a payroll spreadsheet(what'.
I am trying to create a payroll spreadsheet. I want to get the formula for year to date. I would rather not use a 52 column sheet with totals. How can I add the change each week without using a large sheet? If I can offer an opinion: regarding payroll, keep as much information as you can. Payroll is sacred- people literally live by it, and they are VERY concerned that proper records are kept. A Fortune 500 company is judged by its stock price; small and even medium sized companies are judged by whether or not they met payroll. My suggestion is to allow the spreadsheet to be as large as i...

Identify closed/finalized records the month they were opened Acces
Hello I have a query, qryClosedRecords, where I need to report if the records finalized/closed the same month they opened. So if it opened #10/05/2009 06:05# and finalized/closed #10/25/2009 21:59# I need to mark it as being finalized/closed the month it was open. Field for Date Opened = qryClosedRecords.open_time Field for Date closed = qryClosedRecords.finalized_time And if it opened #08/03/2009 21:25# and finalized/closed #9/23/2009 12:45# I don't want to count it because it didn't finalize/close the month it was opened. I need to do this in a query becau...

Excel shows only one sheet in taskbar
Hi When I open an excel worksheet it displays in the taskbar but when I open subsequent sheets they are not displayed in the taskbar.It looks as if only one document is open. This is very annoying as I am unable to close a certain worksheet from the taskbar. Thanks On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 08:55:47 +0200, "Leon" <leon.la@virgin.net> - in a blinding flash of brilliance - wrote: >Hi >When I open an excel worksheet it displays in the taskbar but when I open >subsequent sheets they are not displayed in the taskbar.It looks as if only >one document is open. This is very ...

How to Export "Empty Tables" +queries+forms+macros for new data base ?
OK, we have our Access multiple table data base designed... sorta. The test data base was populated with fake data. How do we export "empty tables" along with all the queries, forms, macro's, code, etc... so we have the data base structure with no data? If we can get here we can then import the correct beginning data into the main table and start using the data base. thanks for any help. Mel Take a look at the TransferDatabase method: one of the parameters is StructureOnly. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "...

opening SDI from dialog?
Hi, I have problem with opening SDI window from dialog based application (MFC). What I did I added doc/view files to project but have no idea how to call this to open window. I assume that it's safe and possible. In regular SDI application the call is made by this code: CSingleDocTemplate* pDocTemplate; pDocTemplate = new CSingleDocTemplate( IDR_MAINFRAME, RUNTIME_CLASS(CDocViewTmpDoc), RUNTIME_CLASS(CMainFrame), // main SDI frame window RUNTIME_CLASS(CDocViewTmpView)); CWinApp mApp; mApp.AddDocTemplate(pDocTemplate); mApp.m_pMainWnd->ShowWindow(SW_SHOW); mApp.m_pMa...

Add new record to master and subform at the same time.
Using Access 2003 SP2. I have a master form and linked subform. For procedural reasons related to another form, I need to ensure that a new record is added to the subform when a new record is created in the master form. Obviously, I'm having an issue. Setup: The forms are locked down. The user must click an custom Add button to add a new record in the master form. I'm trying to fit the additional code into this routine. The user can also click another Add button to manually add a record into the subform, but I also need to do this automatically. What is the best way to accomplish...

New Website Comparing POS Integration Solutions
Hey guys, We recently launched a new Website (http:// poswebstoreintegrations.com) that compares various POS Webstore integration and eCommerce solutions. We hope that the site can provide new insight into these solutions. In our first post, we compared Nitrosell with Kosmos Central. Please provide any feedback on our comparison. If you want to provide some additional comparisons between the two, or with a new solution, please feel free to do so. Thanks! POS Webstore Integrations Staff On Jul 8, 4:29=A0pm, POS Webstore Integrations <poswebstoreintegrati...@gmail.com> wrote: > He...

excel opens but the workbook doesnt
when i open an excel file, excel opens but doesnt display the file- have to drop and drag file in from elsewhere; tried re-installing excel, then windows but hasnt made difference; any thoughts? Hi uran! Most likely fix for this problem is from within Excel: Tools > Options > General Uncheck "Ignore other Applications" OK Close Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel in the Registry using the following routine. Close Excel On the Windows Taskbar Start > Run Type the following exactly including the space between exe and / excel.exe ...

Spreadsheet Formatting
I am having trouble with shared workbooks and their formatting. Th many users who access these workbook and enter data all work i different offices in differenct cities. The files are stored on shared drive so that everyone can access and work on their assigne files. The problem we are having is that after spending a long time formattin the worksheets to look and print the way we would like them, each time new user opens a workbook, the formatting has all changed. (Headers an Footers disappear, isn't set to landscape anymore, etc.) Why is this happening? Is there a way to keep the...

Weekly Time Sheet Consolidate
Good morning, I am having a problem with time sheet reporting. We have a weekly timesheet which hourly employees complete every week. Most have been saving EACH timesheet. That is 52 timesheet tabs. What I am trying to accomplish is this: Use the time sheet, and have the TOTALS of each column transfer to a single worksheet. Example of columns in weekly timesheet: DAte Day of Week Reg OT Sick Vac Total Hours Lunch Time Used The date column is filled with date beginning on a Sunday, ending Saturday. There are formulas to calculate the total hours. ...

Opening email messages
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop When I double click on the message, it does not open. I have to right click on the message and click on open message to open my emails. I have already gone into preferences and clicked on double click to open. <br><br>What am I doing wrong? On 1/16/10 3:58 PM, in article 59bb114f.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "Betsy_Allen@officeformac.com" <Betsy_Allen@officeformac.com> wrote: > When I double click on the message, it does not open. I have to right click &...