Splitting cells in Excel 2007

Hello Microsoft,

I've spent about an hour on various Internet sites and discussing this in
forums. Many seem to know it's not possible, but nobody has told me why it's
not possible.

The question has been asked as far back as 1999, from what I've been seeing.

How does one split a single cell either vertically or horizontally?

I don't mean the data within the cell, but the cell itself. Many "solutions"
seem to use techniques of adding new rows or columns and doing some creative
merges to all the cells affected.

The spreadsheet I want to change has 15 columns; A - O.
Row 1 is the title of the spreadsheet.
Row 2 - 8 contain various data in all cells.
Row 9 is a blank line.
Row 10 is a total line for columns J-K and M-N.

I want to split cells horizontally in J2-8 and M2-8 so that I can take the
data in cells K2-8 and N2-8 to the top portion of the split cells. So cell J2
would be split horizontally; in the top portion is the data in cell J2 and in
the bottom portion would be K2. And so on for the other cells.

I can get this exact feature to work in Word 2007, using a table. I can
split a cell into x number of rows or columns or both.

My Excel 2007 example above pertains to a small spreadsheet, but what if I
have a spreadsheet with hundreds of rows and columns? Manually splitting
cells would be a maintenance nightmare.

I trust those I've talked with today and that's why I'm here with you. Can
you please consider making this change possible in Excel 2007 and 2010 (if
not already done in the latter)?

Thanks

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=40824109-377d-41e6-a2bc-4654fa5af5dd&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can't split cells.  By its nature, a spreadsheet consists of rows and
columns, and a cell is the intersection of a column and a row.  [Look at the
reference of a cell to remind you of that.]
You can insert a row, or insert a column, (or you can insert a cell in such
a way that the content of the cells to the right or below will get moved
along or down), but there is no way that a cell can exist without being part
of a row and part of a column.
Word is different because it's a different application.  It's a word
processor, not a spreadsheet.
--
David Biddulph

"Gil" <Gil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Microsoft,
>
> I've spent about an hour on various Internet sites and discussing this in
> forums. Many seem to know it's not possible, but nobody has told me why
> it's
> not possible.
>
> The question has been asked as far back as 1999, from what I've been
> seeing.
>
> How does one split a single cell either vertically or horizontally?
>
> I don't mean the data within the cell, but the cell itself. Many
> "solutions"
> seem to use techniques of adding new rows or columns and doing some
> creative
> merges to all the cells affected.
>
> The spreadsheet I want to change has 15 columns; A - O.
> Row 1 is the title of the spreadsheet.
> Row 2 - 8 contain various data in all cells.
> Row 9 is a blank line.
> Row 10 is a total line for columns J-K and M-N.
>
> I want to split cells horizontally in J2-8 and M2-8 so that I can take the
> data in cells K2-8 and N2-8 to the top portion of the split cells. So cell
> J2
> would be split horizontally; in the top portion is the data in cell J2 and
> in
> the bottom portion would be K2. And so on for the other cells.
>
> I can get this exact feature to work in Word 2007, using a table. I can
> split a cell into x number of rows or columns or both.
>
> My Excel 2007 example above pertains to a small spreadsheet, but what if I
> have a spreadsheet with hundreds of rows and columns? Manually splitting
> cells would be a maintenance nightmare.
>
> I trust those I've talked with today and that's why I'm here with you. Can
> you please consider making this change possible in Excel 2007 and 2010 (if
> not already done in the latter)?
>
> Thanks
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=40824109-377d-41e6-a2bc-4654fa5af5dd&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc

0
David
12/22/2009 3:42:16 AM
If you merge cells J2 and K2, does that do what you want?

Regards,
Fred

"Gil" <Gil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Microsoft,
>
> I've spent about an hour on various Internet sites and discussing this in
> forums. Many seem to know it's not possible, but nobody has told me why
> it's
> not possible.
>
> The question has been asked as far back as 1999, from what I've been
> seeing.
>
> How does one split a single cell either vertically or horizontally?
>
> I don't mean the data within the cell, but the cell itself. Many
> "solutions"
> seem to use techniques of adding new rows or columns and doing some
> creative
> merges to all the cells affected.
>
> The spreadsheet I want to change has 15 columns; A - O.
> Row 1 is the title of the spreadsheet.
> Row 2 - 8 contain various data in all cells.
> Row 9 is a blank line.
> Row 10 is a total line for columns J-K and M-N.
>
> I want to split cells horizontally in J2-8 and M2-8 so that I can take the
> data in cells K2-8 and N2-8 to the top portion of the split cells. So cell
> J2
> would be split horizontally; in the top portion is the data in cell J2 and
> in
> the bottom portion would be K2. And so on for the other cells.
>
> I can get this exact feature to work in Word 2007, using a table. I can
> split a cell into x number of rows or columns or both.
>
> My Excel 2007 example above pertains to a small spreadsheet, but what if I
> have a spreadsheet with hundreds of rows and columns? Manually splitting
> cells would be a maintenance nightmare.
>
> I trust those I've talked with today and that's why I'm here with you. Can
> you please consider making this change possible in Excel 2007 and 2010 (if
> not already done in the latter)?
>
> Thanks
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=40824109-377d-41e6-a2bc-4654fa5af5dd&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc

0
Fred

Does Microsoft Excel work with XP
We had Excel installed in our computor and have recently installed XP, now we cannot open the Excell files that we had/have. Can anyone suggest away around this please. Would we have to reinstall Excel Hi normally this should work without a problem. What error message do you get exactly? "pjandseinthemed" wrote: > We had Excel installed in our computor and have recently installed XP, now we > cannot open the Excell files that we had/have. > Can anyone suggest away around this please. Would we have to reinstall Excel ...

Excel 2007: Sort by Cell Color
Hi, I have Excel 2007 with a fairly new computer and 2gb of RAM. When I try to sort a spreadsheet by cell color, the program locks up and I have to quit. There are 46000 records in the sheet - I understand this is a big ask for the computer but with 2gb of RAM it should be able to do it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make this work better? Thanks. I hadn't tried sorting by color (cell fill color) before (new XL2007 feature) so I created a 46000 row by 3 column 'database' with two fill colors in the first column. It sorted in less than 5 seconds on a les...

Split tasks a splitting headache
Inherited another Project IMS. I am noticing right off that the previous scheduler has been starting tasks without their FS preds completing. Yeah, it does show up as a spit bar in the gantt chart. But, does anyone know a way to filter out just task that started before predecessor completion? I'm dealing with several thousand lines. Thanks. -- trailerpup ------------------------------------------------------------------------ trailerpup's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/116596.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1290853.htm ...

Pivot tables Excel 2007
After making a connection to a cube, and the Pivot table boxes show up in Excel - all my Dimensions show up UN-collapsed - and there seems to be no easy way to collapse them all at once. Does anyone know how to collapse them at start up or collapse all ? Does anyone have a solution to this? When you have a cube with 30 dimensions and all the attributes are expanded - it's scroll hell trying to find things. Is there any way to make all the dimensions all be collapsed? "Joe" <hortoristic@gmail.dot.com> wrote in message news:0A03019E-4540-407D-8588-0FC0D238957F@mi...

How to randomly split a whole dataset into two sub-dataset?
Hi, At your possible convenience, might anyone please kindly answer my question? Thank you very much. How to "RANDOMLY" split the whole data set (n=2000) into two sub dataset (n=1000; n=1000) in SPSS or Excel? Thank you very much. Please take care Caroline zencaroline <zencaroline@gmail.com> writes: > How to "RANDOMLY" split the whole data set (n=2000) into two sub > dataset (n=1000; n=1000) in SPSS or Excel? Create a new variable whose value is randomly distributed. Sort the data on this variable. Take the first 1000 cases ...

how to copy cells data in every 7th row?
Hi, I have a column of data from A2 to A65000 and I am only interested in every 7th data point (e.g. A2, A9, A16....). Is there a way to get those selected points and store them in the next column (B) consecutviely (b1, b2, b3, b4, ...)? Thanks, Jeff Jeff, Sub Get7() Dim outrng As Range Dim i As Long Set outrng = Range("b1") Lastrow=cells(rows.count,1).end(xlup).row For i = 2 To lastrow Step 7 outrng = Cells(i, 1) Set outrng = outrng.Offset(1, 0) Next i End Sub HTH "Jeff" wrote: > Hi, > I have a column of data from A2 to A65000 and I am only interes...

2 excel programs
Hi, I have Excel 2003 and lately installed Excel 2007. When clicking on an Excel file it opens it using Excel 2007. I need the files to be oppened in Excel 2003 when double clicking the file. How can this be done. I'd try reregistering xl2003: Close excel (all versions) windows start button|Run type your path to excel2003: "C:\whatevergoeshere\excel.exe" /unregserver and hit enter then "C:\whatevergoeshere\excel.exe" /regserver and hit enter. The last version installed or registered should be the default program. Khalil Handal wrote: > > Hi, > I have ...

Unwanted replicated split screen
I know I could re-install excell but before I do, is there anyone here who can help me disable a setting that I have no idea how it came about. I can only describe it as 2 identical execl grids on the same worksheet. Accompanying image will show you. Help. Thanks. +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: excel_display_duplication.GIF | |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3855 | +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ -- BoyLeroy -----------------------------------...

Excel files #2

Disassociate Windows Live from Money 2007
I want to use Money 2007 without signing in Windows Live. Desktop works fine without signing in Windows Live. The subject never comes up. Laptop wants me to sign in before I can access Money. OS Windows Vista Home Premium Thank you for your help. In microsoft.public.money, Btfsplk wrote: >I want to use Money 2007 without signing in Windows Live. Desktop works fine >without signing in Windows Live. The subject never comes up. Laptop wants me >to sign in before I can access Money. OS Windows Vista Home Premium >Thank you for your help. See the section in http://support.micro...

how to change theme in outlook 2007
I run outlook 2007 over a remote desktop session that uses 256 color for maximum speed. How do I change the color scheme of outlook 2007 to turn off those blue colored gradient strips, to a boring pure color (since the gradient renders poorly in 256 colors). All I could find under editor options was a choice of blue/silver/black, which didn't change it. AFAIK, you can't change it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists...

PDF icon in calculated cells
I have a calculated column and a PDF icon has appeared. If I delete the contents of the cells, the PDF icon remains. How can I delete the PDF icon? Right click on the icon and select cut from the popup menu. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Texas Bald Eagle" <Texas Bald Eagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BEBE1E3D-762B-43DE-8A60-99A86F8A8A20@microsoft.com... > I have a calculated column and a PDF icon has appeared. If I delete the > contents of the cells, the PDF icon remains. How can I delete the PDF icon? ...

Can't find my Front End Folder after database split
I just split my database base to allow for ease of use for multiple users. Ererything, it seemed, went smoothly until i try to find the fron-end folder. It is nowhere to be found. Should it be label ****_fe.mbd like the back end? Please help. Thaanks. It will be called that, unless you typed something else in the save as dialog. I thought it ended up in the same folder as the backend after splitting. Easiest way is to go back to the original and split it again, this time take note of where you save it before you press the button. Jeanette Cunningham "Joe" <Joe@discussi...

Cross-referencing capability in Excel
Is there any way to cross-reference a section of an Excel worksheet so that you can jump to that section merely by clicking on the pertinent link? I know MSWORD has this type of cross-referencing capability, and I use it extensively. Thanks, Ramesh Generic Usenet Account wrote: > Is there any way to cross-reference a section of an Excel worksheet so > that you can jump to that section merely by clicking on the pertinent > link? I know MSWORD has this type of cross-referencing capability, and > I use it extensively. > > Thanks, > Ramesh Check out Hyperlinks. They can...

Creating Labels using an Excel Spreadsheet
I would like to create mailing labels using Excel and import the data into a word template. Before I start building the spreadsheet I would also like to know the format to use for the columns: first name, last name or last name and first name in one column. Thank you for your assistance. Elyse, have a look here for info on mail merge http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 97 & 2000 ...

Count Cells in a particular row w/ text
Hi, Is there a way I can total up all the cells in a range which have any text in them what so ever? Hi, =Counta(A1:A100), will count cells that are not blank if this helps please click yes, thanks "wotanthewanderer@gmail.com" wrote: > Hi, > > Is there a way I can total up all the cells in a range which have any > text in them what so ever? > Try this: =COUNTIF(A1:A10,"*") That counts TEXT only, ignores numbers. =COUNTA(A1:A10) That will count all non-empty cells regardless of data type. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP <wotanthewanderer@gmail.c...

How do i stop the task pane appearing when i start publisher 2007
I am trying to start publisher 2007 in 100% view and without the task pane at the side appearing. Can anyone help me please ? I use Publisher 2000 and have the startup as you would like. This may be the same or similar in 2007. Tools Options Uncheck "Use catalog at startup." OK -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "1Dynamo" <1Dynamo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:843E1573-11D0-4293-8883-3BEEE0626E26@microsoft.com... >I am trying to start publisher 2007 in 100% view and without the task pane >at > the side appearing. Can anyo...

Why is my text hidden behind other cells?
I changed my text to be 90 degrees. When I type, the text only shows in that box. I cannot make it appear OVER the other cells. I need to learn how to 'bring it to front'... if that makes sense. HELP! I don't think you can. The only ways to show all the text would be to either increase the height to the row or merge some cells together. -- Ian -- "dANA" <dANA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:694DF522-46B4-4D66-A1F9-08469E5A7C50@microsoft.com... >I changed my text to be 90 degrees. When I type, the text only shows in >that > box....

Conditional appearance of checkbox in Excel
Hello... I want to have an ActiveX checkbox appear in a cell when text is entered in an adjacent cell. It's a check-list, and I want the checkbox to appear only when a list item has been entered. I assume this has to be accomplished with a macro, but I can't figure out how. Any help is much appreciated. ...

cells
Ok im trying to grab names from one cell to transfer to another cell on a different sheet but when I do the = and click on the cell that I want the information to come from it just places a 0 in that cell and no text. I changed the cell to make sure the properties are in text format but that didn't work, when I start a completly new worksheet it works! Ok anyone know what im talking about ;-0 Nick ...

Excel calculating very slowly in Excel 2004 for Mac
My girlfriend is running Microsoft Excel version 2004 on her ibook G4. her computer specs are 800 mhz G4, 368mb ram, 30gb hd, 32mb video ram etc.. Her business math class uses excel to run calculations for lists o 3000+ entires. They use gateways in class. the gateways are old running p3 mobiles lower than 1 ghz, with standard 256 ram. Th calculations they run are simple division. when the laptops at schoo calculate the forumla and fill down all 3000+ entries it does it almos instantly, but on her mac, it says calculting on the progress bar an takes almost a minute. any thoughts on why? ...

Cannot send email in Outlook 2007
Messages are received but cannot send - they stay in Outbox. Have checked all the account setup information and all appears to be ok - did the test and it connects to the incoming server but not the outgoing server - using Starband as my email address but am not using Starband as my current ISP - my virus software is AVG and it is not scanning outgoing email - I have sent an email to Starband support advising them of my current IP address in case it is a Starband problem, but since I receive email that doesn't seem to make too much sense - any suggestions would be appreciat...

Display Data On Split Form
Not sure how to ask this but here goes. In AC 2007 I have a split form that I want to display a value that will show regardless of the row I select in the datasheet. This is the number of vacation days one will have through-out the year and of course it changes as vacations days get used up. Any help will be appreciated, James "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message news:6A4DFFD9-3302-4A10-B51A-153373D266FD@microsoft.com... > Not sure how to ask this but here goes. > In AC 2007 I have a split form that I want to display a value > that will show regardl...

Split data into new sheets
I have a (very) long list, sorted by account code. I would like to write a macro that splits the list into separate sheets in the workbook, with a separate sheet for each account code. Ideally, I would also like to rename each sheet to show which account code the sheet contains. I have no idea, though, where to start. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Hi bernard How many different accounts are in the list (more or less than 250)??? below some code that I use to split files by account numbers where the user has to select a cell within the column that contains the account number... Hope thi...

How can I separate items from one cell into two?
-- bootsy here's two ideas 1) use data / text to columns 2) use a formula such as =LEFT(A1,3) or =RIGHT(A1,4) if you'ld like more assistance please post back with additional details and type out two or three examples of your data. Cheers JulieD "Bootsy" <Bootsy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14CF8AC7-AF0E-47E3-8B04-E3C95A9ADEF5@microsoft.com... > > -- > bootsy Peo Sjoblom wrote: <NOTHING>! http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html -- Interim Systems and Management Accounting Gordo...