Splitting 1 cell w/2 words into 2 separate cells

Hey everyone!

I have a listing of fantasy football players listed as (Firstname Lastname)
in one cell. How can I split them up, so the first name is in one cell, and
the last name in another? I need this so I can then sort by last name.

Thank you!

Gary

0
garyh7114 (1)

Gary,

Select the column, then use Data - Text to columns.  Specify a space as the
delimiter.  Ensure that the next column is currently empty first.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"Gary Hopkins" <garyh@somewhereoutthere.com> wrote in message
> Hey everyone!
>
> I have a listing of fantasy football players listed as (Firstname
Lastname)
> in one cell. How can I split them up, so the first name is in one cell,
and
> the last name in another? I need this so I can then sort by last name.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Gary

0
nothanks4548 (968)
9/2/2004 2:15:05 PM
Select the range with the names
Use Data|Text to Columns

best wishes

--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Gary Hopkins" <garyh@somewhereoutthere.com> wrote in message
> Hey everyone!
>
> I have a listing of fantasy football players listed as (Firstname
> Lastname)
> in one cell. How can I split them up, so the first name is in one cell,
> and
> the last name in another? I need this so I can then sort by last name.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Gary

0
bliengme5824 (3040)

Line-Column Charts #2
I am trying to chart 1 column and 2 line data series in one chart with two different axis. I figured out how to define which axis the data series references but I have forgotten how to define which data is to be displayed in a column or line format. Thanks can you riht click the axis concerned and click format and font and chang the color of the axis figures to that of the color of the chart. is this what you want. -- remove $$$ from email addresss to send email Mark G <MarkG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F89C608D-FEAE-44DF-9A15-528CE0EE2247@microsoft.com....

Posting cell content on desktop
Is it possible to get the contents of a cell and have it posted (visible) to your desktop? I don't need the whole sheet, just the contents of a single cell. Not quite sure what you mean by posted (Visible) to you desktop? The following code, pasted into the workbook with the data in, when run will post the contents of cell A1 on sheet1 to a text file on the desktop called 'text'. (Obviously you will have to change the path) Sub rangeToText() Open "C:\Documents and Settings\Nick Hodge\Desktop\text.txt" For Output As #1 Print #1, ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1&...

SUM rows in column if cell in different column is empty
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that has many rows of data. I'm trying to get a total for a column ("G") in a cell ("A2") but only on rows where the cell in another column ("J") for that row is empty.I tried SUMIF and couldn't get it to work. Can this be done with some kind of formula? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, gg =SUMIF(I:I,"",G:G) -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) <nospam@iamtheonewho.com> wrote in message news:1173743011.019953.66950@v33g2000cwv.googlegroup...

error C2719 with VC7.1
Hi everyone, VC6 compiles fine, but 7.1 flags an error. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\include\vector(507): error C2719: '_Val': formal parameter with __declspec(align('16')) won't be aligned This appears to be related to my usage of std::vector in my classes. Also, I have this at the top of one of my classes's header #define MYD3DXMATRIX D3DXMATRIXA16 My usage of D3DXMATRIXA16 is not related to std::vector I never declare a vector<D3DXMATRIXA16> my_matrices; or anything like that. For those who don't know, D3DXMATRIXA16 is mean...

Moving CRM 1.x databases to new server
Hi all Can anyone point me to some good information on how to move CRM databases from one SQL 2000 server to another? I've been asked to do a feasibility assessment. Thanks Tony Afraid with 1.x it is not that easy. First, refer to the Implementation Guide and look at the Disaster Recovery section. It has the basic steps for "recovering" SQL to a new server. This is the same basic approach you need to follow. Make sure everything is working before droping the old DB's though as you may need to go back. Also, make sure you have good backups f everything (including yo...

Excel 2007: Sort by Cell Color
Hi, I have Excel 2007 with a fairly new computer and 2gb of RAM. When I try to sort a spreadsheet by cell color, the program locks up and I have to quit. There are 46000 records in the sheet - I understand this is a big ask for the computer but with 2gb of RAM it should be able to do it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make this work better? Thanks. I hadn't tried sorting by color (cell fill color) before (new XL2007 feature) so I created a 46000 row by 3 column 'database' with two fill colors in the first column. It sorted in less than 5 seconds on a les...

Split tasks a splitting headache
Inherited another Project IMS. I am noticing right off that the previous scheduler has been starting tasks without their FS preds completing. Yeah, it does show up as a spit bar in the gantt chart. But, does anyone know a way to filter out just task that started before predecessor completion? I'm dealing with several thousand lines. Thanks. -- trailerpup ------------------------------------------------------------------------ trailerpup's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/116596.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1290853.htm ...

How to randomly split a whole dataset into two sub-dataset?
Hi, At your possible convenience, might anyone please kindly answer my question? Thank you very much. How to "RANDOMLY" split the whole data set (n=2000) into two sub dataset (n=1000; n=1000) in SPSS or Excel? Thank you very much. Please take care Caroline zencaroline <zencaroline@gmail.com> writes: > How to "RANDOMLY" split the whole data set (n=2000) into two sub > dataset (n=1000; n=1000) in SPSS or Excel? Create a new variable whose value is randomly distributed. Sort the data on this variable. Take the first 1000 cases ...

RMS 2.0 #2
Hi Folks Does anybody know what will be new with version 2.0? Allot of press about Vista but nothing about RMS 2.0! Curious customer!!!!! Danny This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_06DA_01C71CC9.77D76EC0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Danny, They just released updated brochures to resellers last week and I expect = them to be public near the end of December for either a mid January = release or heard Friday, maybe February (because of Vista on Jan 30) --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point Sof...

Sent time 1 hr off
OS: XP PRO SP1 Office 2003 My system time is correct and set to use Auto Daylight Savings Time. In Outlook, the rec'd time corresponds to the actual sent time. (I'm testing sending mail to myself say what time it is)But the time stamp in the SENT MAIL folder is always one hour later even tho the Calendar Options are set correctly and also using Daylight Savings Time. This happens each time I start the computer. The temporary fix is to go into Calendar Options, I don't have to actually change anything, just going there and duplicating the time settings seem to do it. I ca...

Disabling 1-2-5-10 Minute security
Hello, I 'd like to know if some knows how to disable the "allow permission" to run for 1-2-5-10 minutes from outlook. I have an application the sends messages through outlook but it's becoming an issue. Thanks You may find this page useful: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, Outlook-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Peretz Stern" <peretzstern@verizon.net> wrote in ...

cells
Ok im trying to grab names from one cell to transfer to another cell on a different sheet but when I do the = and click on the cell that I want the information to come from it just places a 0 in that cell and no text. I changed the cell to make sure the properties are in text format but that didn't work, when I start a completly new worksheet it works! Ok anyone know what im talking about ;-0 Nick ...

Why is my text hidden behind other cells?
I changed my text to be 90 degrees. When I type, the text only shows in that box. I cannot make it appear OVER the other cells. I need to learn how to 'bring it to front'... if that makes sense. HELP! I don't think you can. The only ways to show all the text would be to either increase the height to the row or merge some cells together. -- Ian -- "dANA" <dANA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:694DF522-46B4-4D66-A1F9-08469E5A7C50@microsoft.com... >I changed my text to be 90 degrees. When I type, the text only shows in >that > box....

how do i change hours and minutes into a decimal number? #2
i am trying to turn total flight hrs into a decimal number( ie: 2045hrs 10mins into 2045.10). can anyone help me with a formula which may help in this? time is given HH:MM but i need it turned to HH.M. Hi, The decimal time for 2045h 10m is obtained by multiplying the time by 24 and formatting as general or a number but this will give an answer of 2045.167 and not 2045.1 because .1 of and hour is 6 minutes not 10. Mike "Mills00" wrote: > i am trying to turn total flight hrs into a decimal number( ie: 2045hrs > 10mins into 2045.10). can anyone help me with a formula w...

Display Data On Split Form
Not sure how to ask this but here goes. In AC 2007 I have a split form that I want to display a value that will show regardless of the row I select in the datasheet. This is the number of vacation days one will have through-out the year and of course it changes as vacations days get used up. Any help will be appreciated, James "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message news:6A4DFFD9-3302-4A10-B51A-153373D266FD@microsoft.com... > Not sure how to ask this but here goes. > In AC 2007 I have a split form that I want to display a value > that will show regardl...

Excel files #2

PDF icon in calculated cells
I have a calculated column and a PDF icon has appeared. If I delete the contents of the cells, the PDF icon remains. How can I delete the PDF icon? Right click on the icon and select cut from the popup menu. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Texas Bald Eagle" <Texas Bald Eagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BEBE1E3D-762B-43DE-8A60-99A86F8A8A20@microsoft.com... > I have a calculated column and a PDF icon has appeared. If I delete the > contents of the cells, the PDF icon remains. How can I delete the PDF icon? ...

unique with 2 columns

how to copy cells data in every 7th row?
Hi, I have a column of data from A2 to A65000 and I am only interested in every 7th data point (e.g. A2, A9, A16....). Is there a way to get those selected points and store them in the next column (B) consecutviely (b1, b2, b3, b4, ...)? Thanks, Jeff Jeff, Sub Get7() Dim outrng As Range Dim i As Long Set outrng = Range("b1") Lastrow=cells(rows.count,1).end(xlup).row For i = 2 To lastrow Step 7 outrng = Cells(i, 1) Set outrng = outrng.Offset(1, 0) Next i End Sub HTH "Jeff" wrote: > Hi, > I have a column of data from A2 to A65000 and I am only interes...

2 excel programs
Hi, I have Excel 2003 and lately installed Excel 2007. When clicking on an Excel file it opens it using Excel 2007. I need the files to be oppened in Excel 2003 when double clicking the file. How can this be done. I'd try reregistering xl2003: Close excel (all versions) windows start button|Run type your path to excel2003: "C:\whatevergoeshere\excel.exe" /unregserver and hit enter then "C:\whatevergoeshere\excel.exe" /regserver and hit enter. The last version installed or registered should be the default program. Khalil Handal wrote: > > Hi, > I have ...

Unwanted replicated split screen
I know I could re-install excell but before I do, is there anyone here who can help me disable a setting that I have no idea how it came about. I can only describe it as 2 identical execl grids on the same worksheet. Accompanying image will show you. Help. Thanks. +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: excel_display_duplication.GIF | |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3855 | +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ -- BoyLeroy -----------------------------------...

Count Cells in a particular row w/ text
Hi, Is there a way I can total up all the cells in a range which have any text in them what so ever? Hi, =Counta(A1:A100), will count cells that are not blank if this helps please click yes, thanks "wotanthewanderer@gmail.com" wrote: > Hi, > > Is there a way I can total up all the cells in a range which have any > text in them what so ever? > Try this: =COUNTIF(A1:A10,"*") That counts TEXT only, ignores numbers. =COUNTA(A1:A10) That will count all non-empty cells regardless of data type. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP <wotanthewanderer@gmail.c...

Can't find my Front End Folder after database split
I just split my database base to allow for ease of use for multiple users. Ererything, it seemed, went smoothly until i try to find the fron-end folder. It is nowhere to be found. Should it be label ****_fe.mbd like the back end? Please help. Thaanks. It will be called that, unless you typed something else in the save as dialog. I thought it ended up in the same folder as the backend after splitting. Easiest way is to go back to the original and split it again, this time take note of where you save it before you press the button. Jeanette Cunningham "Joe" <Joe@discussi...

Pasting fractions from Word; changing into dates
I am trying to paste a row of fractions in a Word table into an Excel worksheet. The column is formatted as Fraction. But every Paste and Paste Special I try puts these in and converts them to dates! Is there any way around having to type these in by hand? Ed You can make it work if you put a 0 in front of each fraction in your Word document and then copy and paste that into your fraction formatted cells, e.g. to copy and paste 1/2 3/4 you would enter them in Word as 0 1/2 0 3/4 A Jones "Ed" wrote: > I am trying to paste a row of fractions in a Word table into...

Split data into new sheets
I have a (very) long list, sorted by account code. I would like to write a macro that splits the list into separate sheets in the workbook, with a separate sheet for each account code. Ideally, I would also like to rename each sheet to show which account code the sheet contains. I have no idea, though, where to start. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Hi bernard How many different accounts are in the list (more or less than 250)??? below some code that I use to split files by account numbers where the user has to select a cell within the column that contains the account number... Hope thi...