Special Characters on Labels

What are some ways to insert special characters (card suit symbols, cent
sign, arrows, etc.) on form labels?

--
Bill @ UAMS

Try formating the label with the Wingdings font (or other similar symbol
font) and entering the appropriate character.
See Character Map in Windows for keys.

Nick

"BillCPA" <Bill @ UAMS> wrote in message
> What are some ways to insert special characters (card suit symbols, cent
> sign, arrows, etc.) on form labels?
>
> --
> Bill @ UAMS

0
nick2029 (26)
5/10/2005 2:54:11 PM
Hi Bill,
More specifically, I think you want
the Symbol  font  char 167 - 170 for card suite,
the cent symbol is probably Char 162 in your normal font,
the arrow symbols are in  Wingdings and Wingdings 3.
   http://wwww.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/fonts.htm
---
HTH,

"Nick" <nick@NoSpam.co.uk> wrote in message news:OUrlVCXVFHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Try formating the label with the Wingdings font (or other similar symbol
> font) and entering the appropriate character.
> See Character Map in Windows for keys.
>
> Nick
>
> "BillCPA" <Bill @ UAMS> wrote in message
> > What are some ways to insert special characters (card suit symbols, cent
> > sign, arrows, etc.) on form labels?
> >
> > --
> > Bill @ UAMS

0
dmcritchie (2586)
5/10/2005 7:06:19 PM
My problem is I want to combine some normal characters with some special
(Wingding/Symbol) characters.  If you are playing with a cell, you can use
'Start' and 'Length' to set various characters with varying characteristics.
But I can't find a way to set the first few characters in a
Label.Caption/Label.Font to normal, and then set a couple of characters to
Symbol or Wingding.

--
Bill @ UAMS

"David McRitchie" wrote:

> Hi Bill,
> More specifically, I think you want
> the Symbol  font  char 167 - 170 for card suite,
> the cent symbol is probably Char 162 in your normal font,
> the arrow symbols are in  Wingdings and Wingdings 3.
>    http://wwww.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/fonts.htm
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "Nick" <nick@NoSpam.co.uk> wrote in message news:OUrlVCXVFHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Try formating the label with the Wingdings font (or other similar symbol
> > font) and entering the appropriate character.
> > See Character Map in Windows for keys.
> >
> > Nick
> >
> > "BillCPA" <Bill @ UAMS> wrote in message
> > > What are some ways to insert special characters (card suit symbols, cent
> > > sign, arrows, etc.) on form labels?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bill @ UAMS

Usually this is done by selection on the formula bar.

But you can record a macro while changing such things on the
formula bar and see the changes in a macro.

Sub Macro8()
    ActiveCell.Formula = "abc def ghi jkl a"
    With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=1, Length:=3).Font
        .ColorIndex = 3
    End With
    With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=9, Length:=3).Font
        .ColorIndex = 34
    End With
    With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=17, Length:=1).Font
        .Name = "Wingdings 3"
    End With
End Sub

--
---
HTH,

"BillCPA" <Bill @ UAMS> wrote in message news:BE234D2E-75B4-43FF-81FD-C26FFA4D3413@microsoft.com...
> My problem is I want to combine some normal characters with some special
> (Wingding/Symbol) characters.  If you are playing with a cell, you can use
> 'Start' and 'Length' to set various characters with varying characteristics.
> But I can't find a way to set the first few characters in a
> Label.Caption/Label.Font to normal, and then set a couple of characters to
> Symbol or Wingding.
>
> --
> Bill @ UAMS
>

> "David McRitchie" wrote:
>
> > Hi Bill,
> > More specifically, I think you want
> > the Symbol  font  char 167 - 170 for card suite,
> > the cent symbol is probably Char 162 in your normal font,
> > the arrow symbols are in  Wingdings and Wingdings 3.
> >    http://wwww.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/fonts.htm
> > ---
> > HTH,
> > David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
> > My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
> > Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm
> >
> > "Nick" <nick@NoSpam.co.uk> wrote in message news:OUrlVCXVFHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > Try formating the label with the Wingdings font (or other similar symbol
> > > font) and entering the appropriate character.
> > > See Character Map in Windows for keys.
> > >
> > > Nick
> > >
> > > "BillCPA" <Bill @ UAMS> wrote in message

0
dmcritchie (2586)
5/11/2005 3:55:59 PM
Sorry to be a pain here, but I understand how to do it in a cell.  It is
writing code to do it on a form label that has me befuddled.

--
Bill @ UAMS

"David McRitchie" wrote:

> Usually this is done by selection on the formula bar.
>
> But you can record a macro while changing such things on the
> formula bar and see the changes in a macro.
>
> Sub Macro8()
>     ActiveCell.Formula = "abc def ghi jkl a"
>     With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=1, Length:=3).Font
>         .ColorIndex = 3
>     End With
>     With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=9, Length:=3).Font
>         .ColorIndex = 34
>     End With
>     With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=17, Length:=1).Font
>         .Name = "Wingdings 3"
>     End With
> End Sub
>

> --
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "BillCPA" <Bill @ UAMS> wrote in message news:BE234D2E-75B4-43FF-81FD-C26FFA4D3413@microsoft.com...
> > My problem is I want to combine some normal characters with some special
> > (Wingding/Symbol) characters.  If you are playing with a cell, you can use
> > 'Start' and 'Length' to set various characters with varying characteristics.
> > But I can't find a way to set the first few characters in a
> > Label.Caption/Label.Font to normal, and then set a couple of characters to
> > Symbol or Wingding.
> >
> > --
> > Bill @ UAMS
> >

> > "David McRitchie" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Bill,
> > > More specifically, I think you want
> > > the Symbol  font  char 167 - 170 for card suite,
> > > the cent symbol is probably Char 162 in your normal font,
> > > the arrow symbols are in  Wingdings and Wingdings 3.
> > >    http://wwww.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/fonts.htm
> > > ---
> > > HTH,
> > > David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
> > > My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
> > > Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm

I didn't see anything that would allow me to do character by character
formatting for a label on a userform.

How about another option--put pictures on the form.  If you only have a few
different captions to support, you could add the text to few cells, format it
the way you like and save them as pictures.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> I didn't see anything that would allow me to do character by character
> formatting for a label on a userform.
>
> How about another option--put pictures on the form.  If you only have a few
> different captions to support, you could add the text to few cells, format it
> the way you like and save them as pictures.
>

> BillCPA wrote:
> >
> > Sorry to be a pain here, but I understand how to do it in a cell.  It is
> > writing code to do it on a form label that has me befuddled.
> >
> > --
> > Bill @ UAMS
> >
> > "David McRitchie" wrote:
> >
> > > Usually this is done by selection on the formula bar.
> > >
> > > But you can record a macro while changing such things on the
> > > formula bar and see the changes in a macro.
> > >
> > > Sub Macro8()
> > >     ActiveCell.Formula = "abc def ghi jkl a"
> > >     With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=1, Length:=3).Font
> > >         .ColorIndex = 3
> > >     End With
> > >     With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=9, Length:=3).Font
> > >         .ColorIndex = 34
> > >     End With
> > >     With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=17, Length:=1).Font
> > >         .Name = "Wingdings 3"
> > >     End With
> > > End Sub
> > >

> > > --
> > > ---
> > > HTH,
> > > David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
> > > My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
> > > Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

How add a Label in the subjet of the mails send to a Group? .Help
I�m trying to put a Label in the subject of the mails send to a specific group. like yahoogroups. When a send a mail to the Financial Department, i want that in the subject appears a Label Like [Fianacials] or somthing similar. How can i do this performance??? Thanks. ...

limit no of characters in cell
How can I limit the number of charaters (including spaces) in a cell to 48? Additionally, I'm not sure if this is possible, say it applied to cell A1, once 48 characters are reached, it will then automatically drop down to the cell below to A2 and do the same again. thanks -- rocket0612 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rocket0612's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19492 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375572 Try validation from the Data menu, and select text length...

Is there a way of have more than 255 characters in Excel 2000+ Footer
Hi guys I am trying to export report from my program to excel, but in my reports I have footers that have more than 255 characters. Does anybody knows how to have more than 255 characters in the footer in Excel. Thanks ! Harry ...

how to enforce a character set
Hello all... We have an Exchange 2003 and along with it we have the GFI Mail Essential program.Since I'm in Greece in the disclaimer we have a greek text. When someone sends a mail using only english characters at the receiving end the encoding used it's us-ascii ror something like that with a result the Greek part of the disclaimer to be filled with question marks. This happens allthough I have enforced through Internet Message Format to use Greek encoding. My question is why is that happening ? I mean shouldn't Exchange apply the character set that I have selected for my domain ...

Special Characters
Is there a quick way to convert all special characters to XML format for example '&' to &amp; or '+' sign to ? ? MAF wrote: > Is there a quick way to convert all special characters to XML format for > example '&' to &amp; or '+' sign to ? ? '&' needs to be escaped as &amp; but the '+' sign does not need to be escaped in XML. How you do it depends on the .NET APIs you use, if you use an XmlTextWriter to create XML then the WriteString method for instance does the escaping for you. If you use the DOM th...

OWA
Hello, Messages with cyrillic text via OWA to a destination outside the domain are received with question marks instead of the cyrillic text. We are running Exchange 2003 Enterprise on W2K3 with ISA 2004 as proxy. Under Exchange 2000, we did not have this problem, but after migrating to 2003, the problem started. Are there language settings that need to be configured on the Exchange server or ISA server? Thanks useregionalcharset http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830827/en-us "landoa" <landoa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46760711-053D-46DA-821A-F...

Changing the width of private characters
Hello! I've created a few private characters with the Private Character Editor (eudcedit.exe). Now the problem is that all characters, even if they are only a few pixels wide, have been assigned maximum width by Windows. Is it possible to change that? Thimo ...

Control character manipulation
Hello In a C++ program, I would like to change the string "ty^Hypescript ^H ^H^H ^H^H ^H^H ^H^H ^H^H ^H^H ^H^ ^H^H ^H^H ^H^H ^H^G^G^G^G^Gty^Hypescript ^H ^H^H ^H^H ^H^H ^H^M" into the string "typescript" The letters like '^H', '^H^H', and '^G' represents some of the ANSI control characters such as backspace. (the characters are shown on VI editor. So, I think it's possible to process control characters within a code, like a VT100 virtual terminal does.( In deed, I am not sure whether the process is done in a terminal, shell or whatever. I...

Exporting Labels
Using the Label Wizard in RMS Version 2.0 there is a Export icon in the Print Preview Screen but it is greyed out and cannot be used. How can this be enabled to export to file or other Software package? print to a pdf writer like Acrobat or CutePDF. "Sid" wrote: > Using the Label Wizard in RMS Version 2.0 there is a Export icon in the Print > Preview Screen but it is greyed out and cannot be used. How can this be > enabled to export to file or other Software package? Thanks Matt I suppose if that is a 'get around' i could do that but it doesn't really ...

Can't Copy and Paste or Paste Special between Excel Workbooks
We have a number of Excel users in our office who cannot copy and paste between Excel workbooks. They can copy and paste between worksheets. When you highlight the section to copy and then go to the new workbook both the paste and paste special are "grayed out". This is true whether you right-click the mouse, go to the edit menu, or use control keys. This occurs with any data type and the most simple workbooks. I have seen some suggestions here but none have worked for this particular problem. I have reset the menus and renamed the .xlb files and neither helps. You can open t...

Vertical Axis Labels
Why do the labels in the vertical axis go in reverse order. The label in cell A2 is at the bottom of the chart and the label is cell A25 is at the top. Thanks, Hi, Assuming the chart is a Bar chart. Because the first category is plotted closest to the horizontal axis. In order to change the order Format the Vertical axis setting both, Categories in Reverse Order Value (Y) axis crosses at maximum category Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "William Wolfe" <bwolfe@caprock.com> wrote in message news:O2Ax...

labels
I can't figure out how to select specific addresses from my address book in WORKS for a mailing of just a few of the total list. I have works suite installed in a compac computer with windows xp.Any clues? Thanks. Go here: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.works.win -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://dgl.microsoft.com/ http://mvps.org/msauer/ "Perdita X. Dream" <perditax@lancrecoven.dw> wrote in message news:bigosl$cs2$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk... > julie wrote: > > I can't figure out how to select specific addresses from > > my address book in WOR...

How to hide a text field label when the field is null? Access2003
In MS Access 2003 report, how to hide the label attached to a text field when the text field is blank? Example: Field Name = [MiddleName]; the label for [MiddleName] is [MidNameLbl]. If no middle name, I do not want the label to appear. Thanks The no-code method is to change the label to a text box and set its properties: Control Source: ="Mid. Name: " + [MiddleName] Can Grow: No Can Shrink: Yes If MiddleName is null, the text box will disappear. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Pearl" wrote: > In MS Access 2003 report, how to...

Specialized ComboBox
Hi. I'm trying to create a combo box, dropdown style, which will enter the text in the edit field to the list box upon hitting enter key, and allow deletion of items from the list box. I'm affraid i have no clue as to how to do this - i thought about deriving from CComboBox and adding handler to keydown. but no idea as to how to exactly. Help will be much appreciated. Ori, You first need to find out if the user has swapped left & right mouse buttons (GetSystemMetrics(SM_SWAPBUTTON)). Then if the user has swapped mouse buttons you need to hook WM_LBUTTONUP, if the user has...

Labels Vendors
I want to change the default Label Vendor to Avery U S Letter. How do I do that? I've never used a Microsoft label or any of the others. I just use Avery. Why do I have to keep changing to Avery U S Letter???? My experience is that the vendor of the last used label is the one that appears when I click on the Options button in the Labels tab of the Envelopes and Labels dialog. At least when I just did that, Avery US Letter appeared as the selected Vendor in the Label Options dialog because the label that was active on the Labels tab was an Avery US Letter label. -- H...

Character counter
Hello, I have created a User form to allow users to enter data onto a report. To ensure that data entered does not exceed the space available I have limited the number of characters that can be entered, I want to put a box on the form that will show the user how many characters that they have available and I would like it to update as they type so they know how much space they have available. eg. 100 characters available to start, as they type this would decrease accordingly, so if they typed "Hello" the box would show 95 available. How can I do this? Thanks in advance...

Printing return address labels
I am not able to print return address labels. I am using Microsoft suite 2003, Microsoft task. It has a program for printing the labels. My printer(Lexmark X125) goes through all the motions of printing the labels but does not lay down any ink. The printer works properly in all other respects. They told me it sounded like a software problem and that I should contact you. This is the firs time I've tried to print return address labels and I may have input somthing wrong, but cannot discover what it is. Can you suggest something to me. The printer sounds like it is printing...

escaping special characters with DataSet.WriteXml?
Howdy, Is there a way to explicitly escape special characters (particularly & (&amp;) and ' (&apos;)) when writing a data set with the WriteXml method? I know this is supposed to happen automatically (according to MS), but in my case, it doesn't. I'm pulling data from MS-SQL with c#, filling data tables with SqlDataAdapter and a query, adding tables to a DataSet, then WriteXml to a file. Special characters aren't getting escaped. Yes, I've confirmed this by viewing the text directly, not viewing the file through IE, which will convert entities back to chara...

NDR messages generated for contacts wich not-standard characters
Hi, We have an Access database with customer information and this information is imported in AD/Exchange via "contacts" (vbs script). Now, as we live in belgium, there are lots of names containing characters like "ç" and "é" (french characters). When we try to send a mail to these recipients, we get an NDR message stating the following: François Devienne on 14/04/2006 9:44 The message could not be delivered because the recipient's destination email system is unknown or invalid. Please check the address and try again, or con...

inserting specific points on a graph and label them?
Hi, i have excel 03 and have creating a xy scatter graph of frequency response and i need to mark 2 specific points on the graph and label them. Does anyone know how to do this? On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, cj_69 <cj69@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >Hi, i have excel 03 and have creating a xy scatter graph of frequency >response and i need to mark 2 specific points on the graph and label them. >Does anyone know how to do this? Create the following table in a convenient part of your spreadsheet: x1 y1 Comment1 x2 y2 Comment2...

Specials
We are having a special on item X for the month of December. With a the purchase of X comes a free A, B, and C. Now all these are compelety different items. Is there a way to set this up? I only see buy one get one free, buy x amount and get x% discount. Unfortunately i dont think RMS can deal with these kind of promotions - i have these sort running all the time, you can use the mix and match, but it makes the last item scanned the free one rather than the cheapest one, this is workable as long as the till staff know that the main item must be scanned first and then the items which a...

Special character in text column
I have a column defined as text field in MS Access 2003. I want to insert a string with prefixed of hex02, followed by Carriage Return, followed by Line Feed and ended with hex03. How do I do that manually? eg. (hex02 character)....This is a test.....(Carriage Return, Line Feed, hex03) Thanks Hex(2) & "....This is a test...." & vbCrLf & Hex(3) -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Alan T" <alanNOSPAMpltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:u1gDZXnUIHA.4280@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >...

2006 Special Offers
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C59420.040B7050 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable For a while I was getting notice to participate in the special offers (I = downloaded 06). I would always opt in but it would give me a server = error message. Now that notice has not come back in a few weeks. = Anyone have an ideas what is going on? adam ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C59420.040B7050 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable &l...

Printing Labels using Publisher
How do I print a single label vs. a sheet of labels in Publisher? Seriously, it's easier to do that in Word. I've been known to design it in Publisher and then copy and paste it into Word so that I can continue using a partial sheet of labels. (It always needs a little tweaking in Word but not too much.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "LS" <LS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3255D946-835A-4DF0-9448-EFEE7715722B@microsoft.com... > How do I print a single label ...

Stripping Extra Characters?
I have spreadsheet VBA that does the following in another spreadsheet: * User selects CSV * Files is transferred to an array (1 column), before parsing * Files is imported, parsed and formatted on tab 1 * Array is searched for user-defined strings, keeping rows * Array is then imported, parsed and formatted on tab 2 * Pivot table is created and formatted on tab 3 from tab 2 * Tab 2 worksheet is rearranged on tab 4, column by column, e.g. the originating spreadsheet tells it which columns should go in which order The last stage is the problem area. The order of columns is defined by the ma...