sorts not sorting

OK- Thanks to everyones help I now i have a list i can work with... but
there are a few problems.... the zips are all 5 digit and now i have to
sort them... the problem is, THEY WONT SORT CORRECTLY!!!!!!! The
numbers are not in order... some are but a lot are not... is there
anyway to fix this???? i need to sort them by zip code but cant seem to
get them to do it correctly.. any ideas???

You are going to be far better off sticking to one thread, as otherwise you are going to
fragment all the replies.  You have the answer to this in your other post.

--
Regards
                   Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL2K & XLXP

  Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference

"billrebels4" <billrebels4.vtbco@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> OK- Thanks to everyones help I now i have a list i can work with... but
> there are a few problems.... the zips are all 5 digit and now i have to
> sort them... the problem is, THEY WONT SORT CORRECTLY!!!!!!! The
> numbers are not in order... some are but a lot are not... is there
> anyway to fix this???? i need to sort them by zip code but cant seem to
> get them to do it correctly.. any ideas???

ken.wright (2489)
10/24/2003 5:44:06 PM
Hi "billrebels4" <billrebels4.vtbco@excelforum-nospam.com>,
It's hard to tell what is outstanding and not, suggest you look at
my page  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#fixuszip5
I just updated that section for the worksheet solutions part.

You are or should be aware that numbers sort before text, so keep
that in mind as to why you need a particular solution.
---
HTH,

dmcritchie (2585)

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

How to sort account list?

Sorting

Row names will not move with sort

sorts not sorting

import- number- sort?

sorting macro #3

Sorting checking register

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...

sorting issue
Hi, When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one column empty cells above the sort display first. How can this be prevented. I know when there is data in any of the other column but not on the column being sorted this will happen. Any thoughts? Pat Are you sure the cells are really empty? They don't contain spaces or even formulas that evaluate to "". (Even formulas converted to values that returned "")? Pat wrote: > > Hi, > > When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one > column em...

Sort not sorting all rows
I'm using Excel 2000. have created a document, uploaded it to google docs and spreadsheets, exported it as a doc, converted it to a spreadsheet (excel) and uploaded it again to google docs. It's not a complicated file - no calculations or anything, just a simple log to enable us to collaborate on change requests and website faults. New requests are assigned a number incrementally one higher than the previous. So we need to sort on the Log number column to see what the last logged number was. However, it sorts most of the spreadsheet and leaves the same 5 rows unsorted at the...

Sort and exclude certain words
Hi ... I work in a public library and frequently export lists of books from our online catalog to Excel, so that I can manipulate the data in various ways. My problem in sorting in Excel is this: Our library catalog excludes words like "The" "A" or "An" at the beginning of a title when sorting. Excel, however, does not. Is there any way I can sort on a field in Excel and have it ignore certain words at the beginning of a string? Thanks! -- jds217 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jds217's Profile: http://www.exc...

Sort date by day and not year
Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year. Ex: Would like to sort like list below: 3/02/1997 3/15/2002 3/21/1996 Not like this: 3/21/1996 3/02/1997 3/15/2002 Please help and thank you for your help. Kathy Hi one way: - add an additional helper column (lets ay B) - insert the following formula in B1 (if column A stores your list): =MONTH(A1) - copy this formula for all rows - sort with this helper column -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Kathy wrote: > Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year. > > Ex: > Would like to sort like list below: >...

Not sorting as expected
I have a database some 10 columns wide and 1200 rows deep. When I sort by one particular column it sorts BLANKS before text meaning that the data appears at the bottom of the database although still in alphabetical order. I have the formatting set to GENERAL for the whole column and do want the blank cells. None of the other columns do this. I am totally perplexed as I thought Excel sorted blanks nearer the end of it's priority. I have tried formatting the column to TEXT and even NUMBER also but it still makes the data appear at the bottom of the table. This doesn't make any se...

sort without the sort button
Hi all. I have a table of strings that I have concatenated from several dro down lists. I now need to sort this data into a single column alphabetically and list all unique entries along with a percentage. I think I can do the listing unique entries etc. if I can just sort ou the problem I am having with sorting a column alphabetically. The problem is that I want to be able to use cell formulas to do th sorting as I want the sheet 'idiot proof'. The only user intervention want is for them to initially select the data they use from the dro down lists. I can do this using macro'...

Sorting...
I am trying to sort a csv list. The first column is a date & the 2nd is time. Can I merge these 2 together, so I can get date & time together, allowing me to sort based on that? If they're really dates and times, you could just use a helper cell and then use a formula like: =a1+b1 You can give it a nice format showing date and time if you like. But why not just sort the list using the date as the primary key and the time as a secondary key? Mike wrote: > > I am trying to sort a csv list. > The first column is a date & the 2nd is time. > Can I merge these 2 ...

Ranking
I previously revived a formula (Thanks Max) to Sort and Rank my Stores by the Strongest Store to the Lowest Store. It did exactly what it was supposed to do with my sample layout I made with just Four stores and scores. But when I added all 14 stores to the list (each store as a rank like 2.45 or 3.56 or 11.75) it will not sort them properly. I am using =IF(ISNA(RANK(Q7,Q7:Q20,1)),"",INDEX(O7:O20,RANK(Q7,Q7:Q20,1))) for the ranking system. It works when the stores Ranks are SINGLE digit numbers, but when they go into the tenths or hundredths the formula can't ...

Sort range changes during sort
After highlighting the columns and rows I want sorted, I select data and sort. At this point the sort range changes to include the entire row from A to IV of each row I selected. I've searched the options screen and help menu, but don't know why this is happening. Thanks in Advance. This is a complete guess--I couldn't duplicate what happened to you in xl2003. Do you have merged cells in that range? If yes, maybe that's the problem. coffedrinker2003 wrote: > > After highlighting the columns and rows I want sorted, I select data and > sort. At this point the so...

sort equal groups of data
hi, i need a help in this, plz i got this list, id like to check the common fields (in 2 and 3 columns) like this, p.ex (so later, i could delete them, and keep and analize the other groups of data) LG-0060-0703 MT 6 LG-0060-0703 CX 6 LG-0060-0703 MT 1 LG-0060-1003 MT 6 LG-0060-1003 CX 6 LG-0060-1003 MT 1 LG-0060-1203 MT 6 LG-0060-1203 CX 6 LG-0060-1203 MT 1 LG-0060-2003 MT 6 LG-0060-2003 CX 6 LG-0060-2003 MT 1 LG-0060-3003 MT 6 LG-0060-3003 CX 6 LG-0060-3003 MT 1 LG-0060-4003 MT 6 LG-0060-4003 CX 6 LG-0060-4003 MT 1 LG-0100018 UN 1 i appreciate your help thanks Not certain what...

How do I sort for the maximum values in each year in excel?
How do I sort data so I can see (sort?) the maximum value for each year in excel. I have 365 values per year and 78 years worth of data. I got excel to sort each year from greatest value to smallest, but now I want to sort it so each years max value is shown first, then the next years max value, etc. You would need extra help columns with formulas or using a filter if you apply auto filter and select the year from the year column and then copying the result somewhere else, then do the sorting base on the value descending. There is now way the built in sort can handle it in one fell swoop ...

Entourage contact sorting
Entourage 2008 for mac. =A0I am trying to sort my contacts by category and then by last name...any thoughts? On 2010-01-22 20:39:09 -0800, shar-shar said: > Entourage 2008 for mac. �I am trying to sort my contacts by category > and then by last name...any thoughts? Unfortunately, Entourage does not allow sorting by one field and sorting within that grouping by a second field. Just one field at a time. -- Allen Watson MVP for Office (Entourage, Word) http://homepage.mac.com/allen_a_watson/ HELP for Entourage: http://entourage.mvps.org On 1/22/10 8:39 PM, in article...

Sorting in Excel
I have a lot of data with three different groups represented by three different numbers. Is there any way to sort them by groups instead of going through by hand counting one by one? Thanks for all your help. Give us an example of the data (Don't attach any files though), showing us what you have and what you want. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ----...

ascending sort definition [sorting alphabetically]
Does ascending sort mean A-Z? Yes. Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP 1998 - 2010 Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com [email on web site] On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 17:44:02 -0800, GaryBlade <GaryBlade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does ascending sort mean A-Z? Yes. See http://www.exceltip.com/st/How_Excel_Sorts_Lists/246.html for more information. "GaryBlade" wrote: > Does ascending sort mean A-Z? ...