Sorting from a list with data on different cells

Hi,
How can sort alphabetically a list of data present on different cells.
Ex: A6 = Scott
     A10 = John
     A14 = Abrahim
I am creating a call log list. with clientname, Date and messages fields.
There can be one client name, multiple dates and messages rtelated to each
date.
Ex:
Scott           6.6.05    Test msg
                  6.7.05     called again
John            1.1.05     adfasfda

Now I want to sort by the client name.

Now I want this list to be sorted without breaking the cloumns next to it.
Can this be done?
Also how can I make the message field automatically expand if more lines of
space is needed. With my current design I am merging two rows for eacg msg,
But its unpredictable how long the message can be?

Thanks
Thanks
0
Kiran1 (81)

Kiran: Start by creating a "database". Put the name in EVERY cell, not just
the first cells. Then you can use autofilter and subtotals features to see
summaries of the information.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Kiran" <Kiran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> How can sort alphabetically a list of data present on different cells.
> Ex: A6 = Scott
>      A10 = John
>      A14 = Abrahim
> I am creating a call log list. with clientname, Date and messages fields.
> There can be one client name, multiple dates and messages rtelated to each
> date.
> Ex:
> Scott           6.6.05    Test msg
>                   6.7.05     called again
> John            1.1.05     adfasfda
>
> Now I want to sort by the client name.
>
> Now I want this list to be sorted without breaking the cloumns next to it.
> Can this be done?
> Also how can I make the message field automatically expand if more lines
of
> space is needed. With my current design I am merging two rows for eacg
msg,
> But its unpredictable how long the message can be?
>
> Thanks
> Thanks

0
ng1 (1444)
6/22/2005 10:44:50 PM
Hi Kiran,
To permanently add the missing data into the cells see
for a worksheet solution see
    Replicate values into blank cells   (#fill_empty)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm#fill_empty
for a maro solution see immedately below that the Fill_empty
macro.  Since you will be sorting you can leave out the boldface

If these techniques are new to you, you should practice on test
data or on a copy of the worksheet as test data.
---
HTH,

"Anne Troy" <ng@officearticles.com> wrote in message news:7b05a$42b9e95e$97c5108d$22240@allthenewsgroups.com...
> Kiran: Start by creating a "database". Put the name in EVERY cell, not just
> the first cells. Then you can use autofilter and subtotals features to see
> summaries of the information.
> *******************
> ~Anne Troy
>
> www.OfficeArticles.com
> www.MyExpertsOnline.com
>

> "Kiran" <Kiran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > How can sort alphabetically a list of data present on different cells.
> > Ex: A6 = Scott
> >      A10 = John
> >      A14 = Abrahim
> > I am creating a call log list. with clientname, Date and messages fields.
> > There can be one client name, multiple dates and messages rtelated to each
> > date.
> > Ex:
> > Scott           6.6.05    Test msg
> >                   6.7.05     called again
> > John            1.1.05     adfasfda
> >
> > Now I want to sort by the client name.
> >
> > Now I want this list to be sorted without breaking the cloumns next to it.
> > Can this be done?
> > Also how can I make the message field automatically expand if more lines
> of
> > space is needed. With my current design I am merging two rows for eacg
> msg,
> > But its unpredictable how long the message can be?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Thanks

0
dmcritchie (2586)

"An unexpected error has occurred" when sending from distribution lists
I have set up a new computer, installed Outlook 2002 on it and migrated my files to it from the previous computer. Now whenever I attempt to send an email addressed via one of my distribution lists, I get an error message (An unexpected error has occurred). I also see two Contacts folders in the Add Address List in the Tools/options in the address book. I did change the location of the Outlook pst files, did I confuse something or ? Any ideas? Nothing in the Knowledge base helped Thanks. ...

Sorting

How to sort account list?

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

Row names will not move with sort

Trendline partial data
I am trying to add a trendline to a process variable on a line-chart and use it to predict when remedial action is required. When the data parameter is reset, the trendline automatically takes in this new set of figures and attaches it to the previous, giving a totally skewed analysis. Is there any way that I can select only some of the data to trend? Then as the reset data grows, only to select the new series from the process? Thanks Hi David, Jon Peltier has a site that mentioned about dynamic charts which I find useful and you might want to check this out. http://peltier...

sorts not sorting

Aligning data with varying decimal places
I have a column of cells in which the data include various numbers of decimal places. Is there a way to align the data vertically so that the decimals line up, without adding trailing zeroes? one way: Format/Cells/Number/Custom 0.??? In article <DD9B0C05-0A1D-4A5A-99F4-BB8030D9F7F2@microsoft.com>, edpaul <edpaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a column of cells in which the data include various numbers of decimal > places. Is there a way to align the data vertically so that the decimals > line up, without adding trailing zeroes? ...

import- number- sort?

Representing Dual Data in a Stacked Bar Chart
Here is my data: Location Flowers Trees Year 1 Year 2 Year 1 Year 2 Texas 55 63 36 14 Florida 67 75 24 21 NJ 32 27 52 10 Colorado 35 41 35 9 California 84 126 78 39 I want a stacked bar chart that shows Flowers & Trees for Year 1 next to another stacked bar for Year 2, grouped by location shown along the X axis. Please help, all I could come up with is a Stacked bar for Year 1, overlayed by 2 separate line graphs for Flowers/Yr2 and Trees/Yr2. -- VB On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, VB <VB@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want...

Cell.Find
Can anyone suggest an alterantive to Cell.Find or help me with the correct code please. Error message is: Active method of Range class failed The Cell.Find is run in spreadheet X Cells.Find(What:=SCN, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlValues, _ LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _ MatchCase:=False).Activate SCN is a value in spreadsheet Y I have tried being specific with Workbooks("Y").Cell.find etc etc but get error: Object doesn't support this property or method Need to lookup a value in spreadsheet Y and retieve a value in the cell next to the ...

sorting macro #3

how2: show contact name and phone fields in task list
It would be useful if I could display contact name and phone number fields in my task list. In Simple View I've used Field Chooser to insert these columns into the table .. but alas! the fields are blank. Can I do what I want to do and .. how? thanks Any folder view shows only the data in that folder, even though Outlook lets you think otherwise by allowing you to add fields from different types of items in the folder. You may be able to accomplish what you want, however, with a little custom VBA code. For an example, see http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=566 -- Su...

Auto-entering data from another sheet
Hello all, Hopefully someone can help me. I am wanting to automatically enter data from one sheet into the next by a text prompt. For example: On sheet 2 I will have 3 static columns that will have data entered in the format: text / text / number respectively. On sheet one I want to be able to enter the text from the first column on sheet two and have excel automatically fill in 2 other cells with the data from cell B and C from sheet 2. For example: Sheet 2 contains hello / how / 123 in row 1 and column A,B,C. I enter: hello (on sheet 1 cell A) and in cell B and C I automatically get...

Sorting checking register

Getting Data out of MS CRM
What is the best way to get all the data out of MS CRM in order to migrate it to another CRM system? Woud the Data Migration tool work for this? I've never used it. If you want all the data, and all the customisations, the best option is to use SQL backup and restore, and the CRM redeployment tool against the restored database. Using the Data Migration tool will be hard work for this, and has some noticeable limitations, such as it can't be used for custom entities "mscrmuser" wrote: > What is the best way to get all the data out of MS CRM in order to > migrate...

Compressing Data in Sheet
Hi, I have a sheet with several pieces of data arranged like so: Column 1 Column 2 a.dll ! 0x000001234 56 a.dll ! 0x000001234 64 a.dll ! 0x000001234 72 b.dll ! 0x012345689 89 c.dll ! 0x012345890 100 How do I compress the repeated sets of say a.dll into one row with all values pertaining to a.dll in column 2 summed up so to read something like: a.dll ! 0x0000001234 182 b.dll ! 0x012345689 89 etc ??? Thanks If the data is sorted by column A, you could add headers (in row 1) and then use Data|subtotals...

Manager can update membership list check box
Hi, I'm working with W2K3 and E2K3. Is there a way to setup 'Active Directory Users and Computers' on a workstation so that the check box for 'Manager can update membership list check box' (Distribution Group, Managed by tab) appears? So far I can only make that work by remoting into an Exchange server, but that won't work for administrators, we need them to do this from their desktops. Thanks, Mindy Mindy: ADUC is probably overkill for just managing distribution group memberships. Can the manager just manage them through Outlook by selecting the properti...

Supplier List and Sales Report
I am trying to build a report that lists all items for a given supplier, and then lists sales quantities (including zeros for items not sold) within a given timeframe. My attempts so far have allowed be to list all items for a supplier with sales for all time, but the minute I put a timeframe for the sales in place I lose items that have not been sold from the list. Does anyone know where I can find such a report or have any suggestions that would allow me to complete it? Thanks, Holly What report did you base it off of? Detailed Sales with a filter on the Supplier field will giv...

Cannot set the LOCALE IDENTIFIER of the data source
In order to use the "translations" feature of Sql Server Analysis Services 2008 we need to set the locale identifier of the OLEDB connection string. However, it doesn't seem to be possible in Excel 2007. Here are the steps to reproduce the problem. 1- Open Excel 2007 2- Data > From other sources > From Analysis Services 3- Select a server and a database (it doesn't matter which), click next, click finish 4- Click properties, clear the "retrieve data and errors in the Office display language" checkbox, go to the definition tab, add "Locale Identifie...

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...

Want use results of Drop down list to look up a value
I am using Excel 2002 and I have a multisheet workbook and on the first sheet I have created a series of 6 drop down lists pulling from predefined named ranges. I also have limited subsequent choices based on what is selected in the other lists. The end result is the user will be selecting parameters that identify a product and now I am stuck with an easy way to look up the associated part number based on the parameters they selected. Essentially, once they have chosen the parameters in the list, I would like to create a macro that uses those values to locate the associated part...

How does excel determine the range of a list?
Hey, I'm working with worksheets that have more than one list on them. I need to define the range of the list and I only know one cell of the list. How does excel determine the range of a list if you select one cell and set the autofilter or sort data? I'm doing this in VBA and was trying to find something like FilterDatabase to define the range but these list are not filtered or named. Hi If first cell is A1 and your list your list has no empty rows in the column before end of the list, you can use this: Set FilterRange=range("A1",Range("A1").End(xl...