sorting error on non-merged cells

Excel 2002, WinXp Home

My spreadsheet has columns for Number, Date, Text, etc.
When I select a column to sort, Excel expands the
selection to include all cells (as it should).  When I try
to sort I get the error message about merged cells having
to be the same size.  I looked at KB291063 but that
doesn't help.  The cels are NOT merged so why do they have
to be the same size?  What size is the error refering to
(# of characters, absolute value, ?)?  How do I un-merge
non-merged cells so I can sort?

Firstly I would never rely on Excel to expand a selection to include the data I
want.  I would always make sure I had selected it to start with, as that way
there is no ambiguity, and hopefully no surprises.

Re your problem though, try selecting the whole raea you wish to sort, and then
doing Format / Cells / Alignment and see if there is a greyed out tick in the
'Merge Cells' option.  if so then this means that you do have at least one
merged cell in there.  Just tick and then untick this option and hit OK.  Having
done this though, before you do anything else, take a quick look at the data and
make sure you didn't just blow something away by doing that.

--
Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"Millard Cohen" <MillardCohen@msn.com> wrote in message
> Excel 2002, WinXp Home
>
> My spreadsheet has columns for Number, Date, Text, etc.
> When I select a column to sort, Excel expands the
> selection to include all cells (as it should).  When I try
> to sort I get the error message about merged cells having
> to be the same size.  I looked at KB291063 but that
> doesn't help.  The cels are NOT merged so why do they have
> to be the same size?  What size is the error refering to
> (# of characters, absolute value, ?)?  How do I un-merge
> non-merged cells so I can sort?

---

ken.wright (2489)
2/14/2004 11:16:52 PM
"Merge Cells" was NOT greyed out.  I manually selected the
area to be sorted and had two different results.  When I
did the entire spreadsheet the sort worked as expected.
When I selected two adjacent columns (DatePd and $) the
sort wold not sort on DatePd (yes, the cells are formatted
for Date as 03/14/01).  The $ sort worked ok.  Right now
my work around is to select the two columns, copy to
clipboard, copy into Word as a Table and sort.  Thanks for
your help.
I suspect that is your problem.  Date is actually being stored as text
rather than dates, so you don't get the results you expect.  You need to
convert these cells to Date values rather than text and then the sort should
work (it is actually working now, but giving you a text sort).

Select the Date column

Format the cells using a date format.  (as a test, use one different from
how they appear now.  If they don't change, then you definitely have text
rather than dates).

Now do Edit=>Replace
Find What:   \
Replace with:  \

Assumes your dates contain \

this should cause the cells to be reevaluated and stored as Dates

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Millard" <MillardCohen@msn.com> wrote in message
> "Merge Cells" was NOT greyed out.  I manually selected the
> area to be sorted and had two different results.  When I
> did the entire spreadsheet the sort worked as expected.
> When I selected two adjacent columns (DatePd and $) the
> sort wold not sort on DatePd (yes, the cells are formatted
> for Date as 03/14/01).  The $ sort worked ok.  Right now
> my work around is to select the two columns, copy to
> clipboard, copy into Word as a Table and sort.  Thanks for
> your help.

0
twogilvy (1078)
2/15/2004 6:26:46 PM
Another way to turn text dates into real dates would be to select the dates,
do data>text>to columns and click finish.

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Tom Ogilvy" <twogilvy@msn.com> wrote in message
> I suspect that is your problem.  Date is actually being stored as text
> rather than dates, so you don't get the results you expect.  You need to
> convert these cells to Date values rather than text and then the sort
should
> work (it is actually working now, but giving you a text sort).
>
> Select the Date column
>
> Format the cells using a date format.  (as a test, use one different from
> how they appear now.  If they don't change, then you definitely have text
> rather than dates).
>
> Now do Edit=>Replace
> Find What:   \
> Replace with:  \
>
> Assumes your dates contain \
>
> this should cause the cells to be reevaluated and stored as Dates
>
> --
> Regards,
> Tom Ogilvy
>
> "Millard" <MillardCohen@msn.com> wrote in message
> > "Merge Cells" was NOT greyed out.  I manually selected the
> > area to be sorted and had two different results.  When I
> > did the entire spreadsheet the sort worked as expected.
> > When I selected two adjacent columns (DatePd and $) the
> > sort wold not sort on DatePd (yes, the cells are formatted
> > for Date as 03/14/01).  The $ sort worked ok.  Right now
> > my work around is to select the two columns, copy to
> > clipboard, copy into Word as a Table and sort.  Thanks for
> > your help.

0
terre081 (3244)

How to sort account list?

How to Merge Date from 3 columns to 1
I have a spreadsheet where the date is spread over 3 columns I,J & K and I wish to merge them to Column B in the format dd-mmm-yyyy as shown below. B I J K 02-Feb-2003 02 Feb 2003 27-Mar-1999 27 Mar 1999 01-Apr-1978 Apr 1978 01-Jan-1998 1998 14-Jun-2002 14 Jun 2002 Where there is a blank for the day in 'Column I' I need it to copy as 01 and where there is a blank for the month in 'Column J' I need it to copy as Jan. Where all 3 column...

Error when sending/receiving
Hi, I have just set up Exchange 2003 on a test network at work. Everything seems to work ok, except when you do a "Send/Recieve" in either Outlook Client (2003) or with OWA. I get a "Permissions Denied" error. Mail is still sent, and received fine however... Checking the log files shows this message: 14:15:53 Synchronizer Version 11.0.5604 14:15:53 Synchronizing Mailbox 'Martin Paton' 14:15:53 Done <error> 14:15:53 Microsoft Exchange offline address book 14:15:53 0X8004010F Doing a search on this error reveals little about how to correct the problem, ...

Sorting

"An unexpected error has occurred" when sending from distribution lists
I have set up a new computer, installed Outlook 2002 on it and migrated my files to it from the previous computer. Now whenever I attempt to send an email addressed via one of my distribution lists, I get an error message (An unexpected error has occurred). I also see two Contacts folders in the Add Address List in the Tools/options in the address book. I did change the location of the Outlook pst files, did I confuse something or ? Any ideas? Nothing in the Knowledge base helped Thanks. ...

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

Row names will not move with sort

sorts not sorting

Exchange System Manager Error #3
I just installed a new certificate on my Enterprise exchange server. I had been using a Small business server as a front end server and recently ran the transition pack to convert to a full Windows 2003 server. I am no longer using the exchange that was on the small business server and have disabled all of the services until I get a chance to remove it. When I try to access public folders from Exchange System Manager, I get the following error: the SSL certificate server name is incorrect ID no: c103b404 Exchange System Manager I am not sure what is causing this. All of the public ...

Error converting 2003 to 2007
I have been trying everything to convert a MS-ACCESS 2003 file to 2007. Everytime I try I get the error Could not use 'C:\DB.mdb'; file already in use. I have tried re-booting. I found this article that I thought would help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/289681 This says it is caused by user rights on the folder. This can't be the problem. I have full access. I would appreciate any help. -- Dave It may be a misleading message telling you that you are trying to use the same filename as the original file. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP h...

Error: Method 'OpenTextFile' of object 'IFileSystem' failed.
I am epxeriencing the same issue now. Only diffeence is mine is 'Method OpenTextFile of Object Ifilesystem failed'. I am sitting late nights to trouble shoot this. Any help is appreciated. I have a VBA macro on MS Excel that should open and read from a Text file. This is the code Dim fs, Tempfile Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set TempFile = fs.OpenTextFile(strInputFile, 1, False) Do While TempFile.AtEndOfLine <> True ' Process Loop I found that it throws error in the OpenTextFile mothod above.. It works for all of ...

Determine cells that drive conditional formatting?
Example: Cells A1:A4 have conditional formatting set up that states if they are equal to cell A10 they will be highlighted yellow. Is there a way to quickly see what cells drive conditional formatting? In other words, we can use Edit -> Go To Special to see which cells have conditional formatting applied; however, this doesn't show us that A10 is involved. Since there isn't a formula directly involved, we can't trace precedents/dependents. Can we only know that A10 is involved in the formatting of A1:A4 by selecting those cells and going into the conditional format...

GP upgrade to sp4 error
When upgrading to sp4, the working companies upgraded fine. The only problem is with the TWO company. It gives an invalid column name 'ACTNUMBR_4' erro while running stores procedures. It appears the script SE_Get_Acc_Detail_Hist is creating an error when it tries to load. We use the sample company for testing so it can be removed if needed, but would like to keep. Can't find anything anywhere on this error. Any help would be appreciated. Hi Charles, As alternative to troubleshooting, you can always re-initialise TWO by running GP Utilitiies and select to 'Re-a...

MobileSync error
When syncing my iPhone within iTunes, I get an error that says "MobileSync has stopped working" and I am required to close out of the program. Songs seem to sync fine, but my contacts from MSFT Outlook do not come across. I've un- and re-installed Outlook, as well as iTunes to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks! ...

fix cell references
I often have to fix and then unfix cell references using the $ sign to fix and then find and replace to unfix. Is there a menu option to fix column / fix row / fix reference (and unfix). If there is I cant find it. Hi AK not AFAIK, however F4 is the shortcut key for this and takes you through a cycle of A1 - column & row relative $A$1 - column & row absolute A$1 - column relative & row absolute $A1 - column absolute & row relative would using a mixed absolute / relative reference solve your problem? Cheers JulieD "AK" <AK@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

How do I print onto a non-standard size notecard?
I am trying to print onto a notecard (about 5.2" X 7.2"). I've put the dimension in the page set up and specified 'Main tray' for papersource, but when I try to print the error message says that either the wrong type of size paper has been selected. Some printers don't handle custom styles well. In such cases your best bet is to select the next-larger built-in paper size and make up the difference with margins. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "bessylou" <bessyl...

import- number- sort?

Compact and Repair Error
I am tyring to compact and repair a database. After a start the process a new db shows up in the source folder, usually db1. No problem there. When the db is done, the size of the 'compacted' db is the same. db1 still exists and it is actually the compacted db. So when it is all said and done, I have two db's, db1 and the original. db1 is the compacted version of the original. Any thoughts on how to fix the process so the db1 replaces the original db? Thanks! PJ On Mar 4, 3:12=A0pm, PJFry <PJ...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am tyring to compact and re...

XP error
Hi; I have using OUTLOOK XP with good success on my WIN ME system for many weeks. All of a sudden it refuses to send and receive mail and disconnects with error 0x80040154. I can have access via webmail and I am using explorer 5.5. But this a pain ! My ISP was no real help. My ME system has 'forgotten' or misplaced things before but I had no luck so far in reregistering a .dll file if that is required. Any suggestions how I can get OUTLOOK XP back ? Regards, Michael Skal. ...

text in cell shows up as ####

sorting macro #3

Cell.Find
Can anyone suggest an alterantive to Cell.Find or help me with the correct code please. Error message is: Active method of Range class failed The Cell.Find is run in spreadheet X Cells.Find(What:=SCN, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlValues, _ LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _ MatchCase:=False).Activate SCN is a value in spreadsheet Y I have tried being specific with Workbooks("Y").Cell.find etc etc but get error: Object doesn't support this property or method Need to lookup a value in spreadsheet Y and retieve a value in the cell next to the ...

Reports Access Demied Error
I get an Acces denied when trying to access to reports or some CRM Setup features even when I log as the administrator However when I go tho the reports site directly through WEB interface, I can Access them what am I missing? For the momment I have not configured SSL for authentication to the SQL server and both servers are in the same domain the SQl server Services are handled by the user network Thanks for any support ------=_NextPart_0001_5376655D Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit <ITgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I get an Acces denied when ...

To Do Bar Error Messages
When I open Outlook I get two "error messages". One says "There was a problem reading one or more of your reminders. Some reminders may not appear." The second appears in the To Do bar where my tasks should be. The field is blank except for "The operation failed. An object could not be found." I have run diagnostics and tried doing a repair from the install disk. Any other ideas? First start Outlook with the cleanreminders switch; Start-> Run; outlook.exe /cleanreminders (note the space in the command) This should take care of the remind...