sorting by text

I have a list of domain names. from .com .net .org etc etc.
they are scattered throughout the the list and i want to organize them.
any help on this.?

ryan

---

You might do Data > Text to columns on the list and seggregate the elements
of the "names" into separate columns.  Then it would be a simple matter to
group them by .com, .net, etc.........with multi-key sorts.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"rneedham >" <<rneedham.105m1r@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a list of domain names. from .com .net .org etc etc.
> they are scattered throughout the the list and i want to organize them.
> any help on this.?
>
> ryan
>

> ---

croberts (1377)
1/17/2004 2:30:48 AM
how do i seggregate the elements of the names. I found "text to columns
and ive created my own customized sort but i don't know what else t
do

When you use text to columns,
choose delimited,
next,
choose other,
add the period,
next,
finish.

You now have 2 columns, with the dot domains in the second column.
Multi-Sort, first on the domains, then on the first column.

Now, in the third column (column C, assuming A,B, and C were used), enter
this formula:

=A1&"."&B1

And drag down to copy.

You can now delete column A and B if you wish.
--

HTH,

RD

"rneedham >" <<rneedham.105oon@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
how do i seggregate the elements of the names. I found "text to columns"
and ive created my own customized sort but i don't know what else to
do.

---

ragdyer1 (4060)
1/17/2004 4:16:42 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. it worked out

---

You could do a   Data > text to columns, with the dot as the delimiter and
separate the names into parts and then it would be easy to sort on any
columns.........then you could concatenate the names back together again if
you wish at the end.........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"rneedham >" <<rneedham.105m1r@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a list of domain names. from .com .net .org etc etc.
> they are scattered throughout the the list and i want to organize them.
> any help on this.?
>
> ryan
>

> ---

croberts (1377)
1/21/2004 11:36:02 AM
You could do a   Data > text to columns, with the dot as the delimiter and
separate the names into parts and then it would be easy to sort on any
columns.........then you could concatenate the names back together again if
you wish at the end.........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"rneedham >" <<rneedham.105m1r@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a list of domain names. from .com .net .org etc etc.
> they are scattered throughout the the list and i want to organize them.
> any help on this.?
>
> ryan
>

> ---

croberts (1377)
1/21/2004 10:33:39 PM
You could do a   Data > text to columns, with the dot as the delimiter and
separate the names into parts and then it would be easy to sort on any
columns.........then you could concatenate the names back together again if
you wish at the end.........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"rneedham >" <<rneedham.105m1r@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a list of domain names. from .com .net .org etc etc.
> they are scattered throughout the the list and i want to organize them.
> any help on this.?
>
> ryan
>

> ---

croberts (1377)

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

How to sort account list?

Sorting

Row names will not move with sort

Text to Number conversion
Hi all, Need some help. One of my main data for my job, is in Excel format. The problem lies with the cell format. All number being stored as text. I need to do error checking and then keep pressing C on the keyboard ( for converting to number ) . It took between 30 to 45 minutes pressing time before it finally completed. Is there any way to remove this "Pressing Job" as it really irritates me. I don't blame you ...... Following from Excel Help:- 1.. Select a blank cell that you know has the General number format.=20 2.. In the cell, type 1, and then press ENTER.=20 ...

sorts not sorting

import- number- sort?

sorting macro #3

text in cell shows up as ####

overlap text boxes
I am using Publisher 2002, but an officemate only has 2000, so that is the format in which I am saving. I would like to be able to "overlap" two text boxes, so that the positioning of one slightly overlapping the other does not make the text in either move. I keep looking at the options under "Format Text Box," and none of them seems to do this. Do you have any suggestions? Select the text boxes, set the wrap to none... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "sorrywm" <sorrywm@discussions.m...

Sorting checking register

Logical Test: Text Against Number 01-05-10

Rotate text?
Office(publisher) 2K. Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? L. Not if it's part of the sentence rather than being a separate text box. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "L." <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> wrote in message news:%23TBzesS9FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Office(publisher) 2K. > > Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? > > L. > > Thanks for the info. L. "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:U46dnd7PfZ5CTBHenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@suscom....

Plain text warning/ VS2005
Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc. I comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this? What can I do with my Access database to avoid this? VC 6.0 never gave this error... tia b If you are on any kind of network that anyone can look at, you are wide open for attack. Example, a University network; potentially, ever student can be running a packet sniffer and see your password. Anything that passes acros the Internet outside your local intranet is also vuln...

Text in Cell as Formula #2

Export univ dist group members to Excel or text file
Hello....my company recently migrated from Exch 5.5 to Exch 2003 (we are now in native mode), and Windows 2003 AD. In 5.5, you used to be able to copy members of a distribution list, and put into text file or Excel. I can not seem to figure out how to do this with AD and Exchange 2003. Does anyone know if this can be done? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!! All of the distribution list (mail-enabled groups now) and other recipient information is stored in the Active Directory. Manipulating the Active Directory is not quite as simple as manipulating the old Exchange dir...

changing colour of static text
hello, Can anybody tell me how can we change the colour of static text control?please help hanks in advance "sayu" <sayu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92F44387-BD51-4593-8669-FF863BF7F1FE@microsoft.com... > hello, > Can anybody tell me how can we change the colour of static text > control?please help Try handling the WM_CTLCOLOR/CTLCOLOR_STATIC notification in the parent or the reflected (=WM_CTLCOLOR) notification in a derived CStatic subclass used as a control member variable. -- Jeff Partch [VC++ MVP] On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 01:31:...

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...

sorting issue
Hi, When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one column empty cells above the sort display first. How can this be prevented. I know when there is data in any of the other column but not on the column being sorted this will happen. Any thoughts? Pat Are you sure the cells are really empty? They don't contain spaces or even formulas that evaluate to "". (Even formulas converted to values that returned "")? Pat wrote: > > Hi, > > When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one > column em...

Foreign text -- why does this happen
Hi, all I've got a question regarding foreign text in Outlook. I write to people in Japan and China and hence sometimes write in these languages. I have used Systran and other translation packages, but when I copy and paste the text into the mail window, it shows up as garbage. If I paste it back into the translator, it shows as it should. If I use Babelfish or Systran from the web and then copy and paste the text that it gives me there (which is mostly the same), the text works and displays in Outlook as it should. Does anyone know why this is the case? I've tried forcing the font to ...

Foreground text color
Hi friends, Is there an algo to determine the foreground text color from the background color??? THanks Hi Chandra, this is a very uncommon question and something i have never heard before. The foreground color is a totally different thing compared to the background color. Foreground is foreground and background is background! Both are different colors and only can be determined differently,... Regards Kerem -- ----------------------- Beste Gr�sse / Best regards / Votre bien devoue Kerem G�mr�kc� Microsoft Live Space: http://kerem-g.spaces.live.com/ Latest Open-Source Projects: http:/...

Sort not sorting all rows
I'm using Excel 2000. have created a document, uploaded it to google docs and spreadsheets, exported it as a doc, converted it to a spreadsheet (excel) and uploaded it again to google docs. It's not a complicated file - no calculations or anything, just a simple log to enable us to collaborate on change requests and website faults. New requests are assigned a number incrementally one higher than the previous. So we need to sort on the Log number column to see what the last logged number was. However, it sorts most of the spreadsheet and leaves the same 5 rows unsorted at the...

Sort date by day and not year
Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year. Ex: Would like to sort like list below: 3/02/1997 3/15/2002 3/21/1996 Not like this: 3/21/1996 3/02/1997 3/15/2002 Please help and thank you for your help. Kathy Hi one way: - add an additional helper column (lets ay B) - insert the following formula in B1 (if column A stores your list): =MONTH(A1) - copy this formula for all rows - sort with this helper column -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Kathy wrote: > Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year. > > Ex: > Would like to sort like list below: >...