Sorting by Date (With a Twist)

A coworker gave me a list of data. One of the columns of this data was a
date field formated custom in mm/dd/yyyy format.  The problem was that
when my coworker sorted the date field it was sorting by the day.

No problem I thought, so I created a new column typed in =year(e2)
which was the cell of the first date.  To my suprise the data came back
as 1905.  The date in E2 was 5/16/2003. If I did =month(e2), I got
January (in mmmm) format.

What gives?

--
B. Baumgartner
B. Baumgartner's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23107

If you take your first date (5/26/2003) and simply format it as a number, do
you see 37757?
--
Gary's Student

"B. Baumgartner" wrote:

> A coworker gave me a list of data. One of the columns of this data was a
> date field formated custom in mm/dd/yyyy format.  The problem was that
> when my coworker sorted the date field it was sorting by the day.
>
> No problem I thought, so I created a new column typed in =year(e2)
> which was the cell of the first date.  To my suprise the data came back
> as 1905.  The date in E2 was 5/16/2003. If I did =month(e2), I got
> January (in mmmm) format.
>
> What gives?
>

> --
> B. Baumgartner
> B. Baumgartner's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23107
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=393150

0
GarysStudent (1572)
8/5/2005 12:17:01 AM
No, actually.  No formatting works on the cell. I just created a ne
column and entered =floor(e2,1) and then formatted the cell as yyyy an
sorted on the new cell.  It worked.

I don't know why excel wouldn't let me change the formatting on tha
cell...... It didn't give me an error

--
B. Baumgartne
B. Baumgartner's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2310
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39315

How to Merge Date from 3 columns to 1
I have a spreadsheet where the date is spread over 3 columns I,J & K and I wish to merge them to Column B in the format dd-mmm-yyyy as shown below. B I J K 02-Feb-2003 02 Feb 2003 27-Mar-1999 27 Mar 1999 01-Apr-1978 Apr 1978 01-Jan-1998 1998 14-Jun-2002 14 Jun 2002 Where there is a blank for the day in 'Column I' I need it to copy as 01 and where there is a blank for the month in 'Column J' I need it to copy as Jan. Where all 3 column...

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

How to sort account list?

Sorting

Row names will not move with sort

formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily
formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily =NOW() or =TODAY() -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel, 10 Years Pearson Software Consulting www.cpearson.com (email on the web site) "Vishal" <Vishal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1065C8D9-220E-4071-AEEC-B3ECE6593D1D@microsoft.com... > formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily ...

Microsoft Query criteria syntax for date() or today()
Essentially, I need MS Query syntax for a calculation based on today's date. I'm using Microsoft Query from inside Excel to extract data from an ODBC database. I want to download everything with a date of, say, in the last 60 days. I can't find any documentation for Microsoft Query and its Help doesn't seem to address this. I've tried Excel and Access systax such as >Date()- 60 and =Today()-60. I've tried copying in the SQL text created by Access. I don't know how to say "Today" or "Now" or "Date". Any help out there? ...

sorts not sorting

Highlight date nearest to TODAY()
Hi I have dates in a column in this format : 16/01/2010 16/02/2010 16/03/2010 16/04/2010 16/05/2010 16/06/2010 I'm trying to set the conditional formatting so that the nearest date to today is in bold. Can someone help with this? Grateful for any advice. Best Wishes Define nearest. If these were your dates: 15/3/2010 17/3/2010 And today was 16/3/2010 Which is the nearest date? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Colin Hayes" <Colin@chayes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:iw0DNgAaMDoLFwgB@chayes.demon.co.uk... >...

import- number- sort?

date formula #2
Hi i am trying for a way to work out how i can formulate the date, ie. if today is 17 November 2003, i want to import data from date 1 Novemeber 2003 how would i do this and what formulae would i use? any idea ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com =today()-1 GB "jaggosai" <jaggosai.x32sz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:jaggosai.x32sz@excelforum-nospam.com... > > Hi i am trying for a way to work out how i can formulate the dat...

sorting macro #3

Excel date problems
Our company uses a report writer/formatter that creates Excel spreadsheets and then sends them as email attachments to specified users. The data being formatted is coming from a file shipped to the report software from an I5 environment. The data coming in is in the format mmddyyyy but some of the cells in the SS are being converted to ddmmyyyy. When this problem occurs it only happens for months 10, 11, and 12. These dates are being used in calculations so this is a big problem. We are using Excel 2003. Any ideas? ...

date formatting a cell
When I use the date formatting in a cell i.e. m/d/yy and enter my numbers i.e 2604, I get 2/16/07. Can you help me Hi you have to enter the date with delimiters. so you have to enter 2/6/04 If you want Excel to automatic convert numbers you have to use VBA. Have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm for an example event procedure Frank vos wrote: > When I use the date formatting in a cell i.e. m/d/yy and enter my > numbers i.e 2604, I get 2/16/07. Can you help me Hi that is the way Excel handles date inputs. As Excel stores dates internally as numbers it does ...

Sorting checking register

sum if and between dates
Hi all I am trying to sum information based on the following conditions Cell E3 = Sum if = *Account A* and between *>= 20/6/05 and <=24/6/05* The Answer would be 279 A B C D E 1 19/06/2005 Account A 125 20/06/2005 2 20/06/2005 Account A 150 24/06/2005 3 21/06/2005 Account B 156 Account A 4 22/06/2005 Account B 135 5 23/06/2005 Account C 142 6 24/06/2005 Account A 129 7 25/06/2005 Account C 200 8 26/06/2005 Account A 300 -- mathewheys ---------------------------------------------------...

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...

sorting issue
Hi, When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one column empty cells above the sort display first. How can this be prevented. I know when there is data in any of the other column but not on the column being sorted this will happen. Any thoughts? Pat Are you sure the cells are really empty? They don't contain spaces or even formulas that evaluate to "". (Even formulas converted to values that returned "")? Pat wrote: > > Hi, > > When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one > column em...

Enhancement for capitalizing dates
Why not allow the user to display months and weekdays in all uppercase (caps) by typing the format abbreviations in uppercase (caps)? For example, MMM or MMMM or DDD or DDDD in any date format would display the text months and weekdays in uppercase. This straight-forward convention is used in other programs and, in fact, is even used for displaying a.m./p.m. (lowercase) or A.M./P.M. (uppercase) in Excel by capitalizing the format abbreviations for time. This seems like a no brainer . . . Blue Max wrote: > Why not allow the user to display months and weekdays in all uppercase >...

Aged Trial Balance as on a particular Date
Hi, When I print the Aged Trial Balance report in purchase module as on a particular date, it does not filter the transactions, instead it shows up transactions beyond the filtered date. Both the document date and posting date of the transactions getting displayed are after the filtered date. For example, I give 31-12-2008 as the date in the "Pint / Age as of: Enter Date" option. The report output shows up transactions with Document Date and Posting Date after 31-12-2008. Can anyone tell me what could be the reason? Thanks & Regards, Perumal Perumal, You need to us...

Sort not sorting all rows
I'm using Excel 2000. have created a document, uploaded it to google docs and spreadsheets, exported it as a doc, converted it to a spreadsheet (excel) and uploaded it again to google docs. It's not a complicated file - no calculations or anything, just a simple log to enable us to collaborate on change requests and website faults. New requests are assigned a number incrementally one higher than the previous. So we need to sort on the Log number column to see what the last logged number was. However, it sorts most of the spreadsheet and leaves the same 5 rows unsorted at the...

Group Dates in Pivot Table
I have a checkbook register worksheet setup as a list manager. Everytime I create a new entry, the worksheet will automatically inser the next row below followed by the subtotal line. From this worksheet, I created a PivotTable worksheet in the sam workbook. The problem comes where it forces me to choose betwee grouping the dates and being able to refresh the table with update info in the checkbook register. Ex. I created the PivotTable at row 81 of the checkbook register. Whe I add entries below row 81, the pivot table will not update tha information. If I make entries to row 85, th...

Sort date by day and not year
Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year. Ex: Would like to sort like list below: 3/02/1997 3/15/2002 3/21/1996 Not like this: 3/21/1996 3/02/1997 3/15/2002 Please help and thank you for your help. Kathy Hi one way: - add an additional helper column (lets ay B) - insert the following formula in B1 (if column A stores your list): =MONTH(A1) - copy this formula for all rows - sort with this helper column -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Kathy wrote: > Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year. > > Ex: > Would like to sort like list below: >...