sorting an alphanumeric list - please someone help!

I posted this yesterday and got no responses.  Is there someone who could
help me?
 would like to sort some text which is formatted in column one as:
1'
100
1000'
2
2'
and so on.  Any number that does not have an "'" at the end should come
before any number that does and all the 1s, 2s, 3s, etc. should be grouped
together.  Is this possible?  The result would look like:
1000'
2
2'

Boy, would I appreciate some help
0
Joanne (18)

Joanne,

If your values start in cell A1, enter this formula in cell B1:

=VALUE(LEFT(A1,1)) +
IF(ISERROR(VALUE(A1)),VALUE(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1))+50000,VALUE(A1))/100000

and copy down to match your data in column A.  Then select columns A and B,
and sort based on column B.

Note: if your values can be higher than 50,000  you will need to change the
50,000 and 100,000 in the formula to a higher value, like 500,000 and
1,000,000

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Joanne" <Joanne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I posted this yesterday and got no responses.  Is there someone who could
> help me?
>  would like to sort some text which is formatted in column one as:
> 1'
> 100
> 1000'
> 2
> 2'
> and so on.  Any number that does not have an "'" at the end should come
> before any number that does and all the 1s, 2s, 3s, etc. should be grouped
> together.  Is this possible?  The result would look like:
> 1
> 100
> 1000'
> 2
> 2'
>
> Boy, would I appreciate some help

0
Bernie

Sorting

How to sort account list?

"An unexpected error has occurred" when sending from distribution lists
I have set up a new computer, installed Outlook 2002 on it and migrated my files to it from the previous computer. Now whenever I attempt to send an email addressed via one of my distribution lists, I get an error message (An unexpected error has occurred). I also see two Contacts folders in the Add Address List in the Tools/options in the address book. I did change the location of the Outlook pst files, did I confuse something or ? Any ideas? Nothing in the Knowledge base helped Thanks. ...

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

HELP: Add textbox to a frame at run time
Hi All, How can I add text boxes on the form at run time based on what user inputs in a textbox? For eg: I have a textbox "Total Students" , so Once I input a number in that textbox, I want to have that many textboxes on the form during run time. If I input 4 I want four textboxes to be displayed on the form. Thanks in advance ...

Row names will not move with sort

CDatabase help needed
Hi anyone know when and why CDatabase throwing an exception " Database already exists" " Driver's SQLSETCONNECTION Attr Failed" this comes when i tried to call CDatabase.OpenEx(myConnecString,NoOdbcdialog). There is nuthing wrong with ma connect string. help needed - Jibesh Hi, If you could supply details of your connection string and all relevant code we may be able to help. - Tim "jibesh" <jibesh.vp@m2comsys.com> wrote in message news:%233lKw%231QEHA.132@TK2MSF...

sorts not sorting

import- number- sort?

Help #20
Hi, I have a worksheet with 3 columns: "month, Item type, quantity" : month Item Type quantity Jan. 1 2 2 1 3 1 Feb. 1 2 2 2 1 3 I want to rearrange this according to "Item Type" verses "month" in a new worksheet where it sums the quantity of each type (as follows): Item Type Jan. ...

sorting macro #3

help with setting up which team plays who
Hello, i have 14 teams and i'm trying to get excel to list them all t play each other once at 6 games per week trying to get excel to figure this out for me a1= team1 b1=team2 c1=team3 d1=team4 all the way down to team n=team 14 how would you get excel to do this the simplest way -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

how2: show contact name and phone fields in task list
It would be useful if I could display contact name and phone number fields in my task list. In Simple View I've used Field Chooser to insert these columns into the table .. but alas! the fields are blank. Can I do what I want to do and .. how? thanks Any folder view shows only the data in that folder, even though Outlook lets you think otherwise by allowing you to add fields from different types of items in the folder. You may be able to accomplish what you want, however, with a little custom VBA code. For an example, see http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=566 -- Su...

Sorting checking register

Manager can update membership list check box
Hi, I'm working with W2K3 and E2K3. Is there a way to setup 'Active Directory Users and Computers' on a workstation so that the check box for 'Manager can update membership list check box' (Distribution Group, Managed by tab) appears? So far I can only make that work by remoting into an Exchange server, but that won't work for administrators, we need them to do this from their desktops. Thanks, Mindy Mindy: ADUC is probably overkill for just managing distribution group memberships. Can the manager just manage them through Outlook by selecting the properti...

Supplier List and Sales Report
I am trying to build a report that lists all items for a given supplier, and then lists sales quantities (including zeros for items not sold) within a given timeframe. My attempts so far have allowed be to list all items for a supplier with sales for all time, but the minute I put a timeframe for the sales in place I lose items that have not been sold from the list. Does anyone know where I can find such a report or have any suggestions that would allow me to complete it? Thanks, Holly What report did you base it off of? Detailed Sales with a filter on the Supplier field will giv...

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...

How does excel determine the range of a list?
Hey, I'm working with worksheets that have more than one list on them. I need to define the range of the list and I only know one cell of the list. How does excel determine the range of a list if you select one cell and set the autofilter or sort data? I'm doing this in VBA and was trying to find something like FilterDatabase to define the range but these list are not filtered or named. Hi If first cell is A1 and your list your list has no empty rows in the column before end of the list, you can use this: Set FilterRange=range("A1",Range("A1").End(xl...

Help
I recently restored my files from my laptop to my desktop pc and when I go to enter a transaction in the register it gives me a message that says "this transaction cannot be entered". How do I fix this? I am using Money 2002 and have never experienced any problems before. Take a look at the FAQ at http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#S7Q5 "Kerry Shaha" <kmshaha@comcast.net> wrote in message news:05c201c35645$623b9530$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I recently restored my files from my laptop to my desktop > pc and when I go to enter a transaction in the register > it ...

Want use results of Drop down list to look up a value
I am using Excel 2002 and I have a multisheet workbook and on the first sheet I have created a series of 6 drop down lists pulling from predefined named ranges. I also have limited subsequent choices based on what is selected in the other lists. The end result is the user will be selecting parameters that identify a product and now I am stuck with an easy way to look up the associated part number based on the parameters they selected. Essentially, once they have chosen the parameters in the list, I would like to create a macro that uses those values to locate the associated part...

sorting issue
Hi, When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one column empty cells above the sort display first. How can this be prevented. I know when there is data in any of the other column but not on the column being sorted this will happen. Any thoughts? Pat Are you sure the cells are really empty? They don't contain spaces or even formulas that evaluate to "". (Even formulas converted to values that returned "")? Pat wrote: > > Hi, > > When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one > column em...

Formula/calculation help for medical charting
Hi, I am trying to develop an anesthesia record chart for the vet clinic I work at. I have A8 through A15 labeled for time, temperature, heart rate, etc. The other columns (B8-B15, C8-C15, etc) I have set aside for later entries in the above categories as we take values every 5 min. or so. What I would like to do is have a formula that would show numerical values in red if they are above or below the normal value range (in black). For instance, a dog's normal temperature can range from 99.5 degrees F to 102.5 degrees F. If it is 98 degrees or 103 degrees I want these values to s...

Marketing List and Views
I spend time creating a marketing list and setting my criteria and the columns I want displayed, however when I go back into market lists, it loses the columns that I've selected during the query process -- Larry De Palma, CTP Executive Vice President EFC Systems, Inc. Did you try publishing the Marketing List entity? "Larry De Palma" wrote: > I spend time creating a marketing list and setting my criteria and the > columns I want displayed, however when I go back into market lists, it loses > the columns that I've selected during the query process > >...