sort without the sort button

Hi all.

I have a table of strings that I have concatenated from several dro
down lists. I now need to sort this data into a single column
alphabetically and list all unique entries along with a percentage.

I think I can do the listing unique entries etc. if I can just sort ou
the problem I am having with sorting a column alphabetically.

The problem is that I want to be able to use cell formulas to do th
sorting as I want the sheet 'idiot proof'. The only user intervention
want is for them to initially select the data they use from the dro
down lists.

I can do this using macro's I know but I also want to avoid them.

Are there any formulas I can use to sort data?

Thanks

Simon

I think not.......but you can record a macro and assign it to a pushbutton
or drawing object and it's pretty idiot-proof for the end-user.......all
they do is push the button and all the sorting is done the way you want it
by macro......

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"simonmarsh" <simonmarsh.xz9ty@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Hi all.
>
> I have a table of strings that I have concatenated from several drop
> down lists. I now need to sort this data into a single column,
> alphabetically and list all unique entries along with a percentage.
>
> I think I can do the listing unique entries etc. if I can just sort out
> the problem I am having with sorting a column alphabetically.
>
> The problem is that I want to be able to use cell formulas to do the
> sorting as I want the sheet 'idiot proof'. The only user intervention I
> want is for them to initially select the data they use from the drop
> down lists.
>
> I can do this using macro's I know but I also want to avoid them.
>
> Are there any formulas I can use to sort data?
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon M

> ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to
creating financial statements

0
croberts (1377)

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

How to sort account list?

Sorting

handler for toolbar button
in Visual Studion 2003, I added a new toolbar button to the IDR_MAINFRAME toolbar, and I need to add a handler for it in the CFormView derived class that handles my view, how do you go about it? RPG wrote: > in Visual Studion 2003, I added a new toolbar button to the > IDR_MAINFRAME toolbar, and I need to add a handler for it in > the CFormView derived class that handles my view, how do you go about it? There is no facility to add a handler from a toolbar button. Toolbar buttons should only reflect what is available in a menu, this way you don't require your client to rea...

change treeview item, without activity in tree
Hi Using the following code I defined that when Im loading the Announcements into the program it marks the some of them with various icons in the TreeView. This was fairly easy, because when I pasted a new element into the tree (hTemp = GetTreeCtrl().InsertItem(pDoc- >m_pAnnouncements[ann].m_cAnnouncementName, SecondParentItem, TVI_LAST);), I got the tree element back into the hTemp variable, and I could easily change the picture. My question would be that how could I go through the Announcements and modify their icons, but without clicking anywhere in the tree. Thanks for any help in for...

Stop spilling to next cell without Word Wrap
I'm trying to stop the text I type into a cell from spilling over into the next cell without using Word Wrap. Searching through past messages I found that someone suggested putting ="" in the next cell to the right to make it look empty. I was wondering if there was a way that would make it so I didn't have to remember to type something in the next cell over. tj You could use event code to enter the space into the adjacent cell. Example code.......... Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) 'when entering data in any cell in Col A On Error GoTo en...

sorts not sorting

I want to format a number cell without the decimal and without ro.
I need to format the number cell so that it will still show the numbers after the decimal, but not show the decimal point at all. It must also display leading zeros, which is not a problem. I just need a way to strip the decimal from the number. If if needs to stay a number with the same value, I don't think you can do it. If you can change the value Just multiple the number by ten to the number of decimal places. If it can be text set up a new column and use =substitute(a1,".',"") "LAM" wrote: > I need to format the number cell so that it will sti...

Row names will not move with sort

Office 2003 collapse without any message
Before I turn mad, does anyone know what do do with a situation like this? I have one user, xp sp3, office 2003, with only local profil (important!) and a terminalserver-profile. Suddently she experianced that when she started typing in word, office just disappeared. Gone - word, Outlook - no message, nothing left. Just closed. I have noticed though, that if she uses word when Outlook has not been started, it works fine, so that's my work-around. But we can not go on like this. I started reading and tested all possible solutions I could find. Nothing worked. I have d...

How to delete a user from AD without CRM troubles?
Hello! Can you state the recomended procedure in CRM before a user is deleted from the AD (eg. when someone leaves the company) so that there will be no troubles in CRM? Is there a way to retrieve the license of a user that was deleted from AD before been disabled in CRM? -- SiEBEN Innovative Solutions http://www.sieben.gr ������� ������ 28, 141 21, �. ��������, ����� ���: +30 2 10 2724433 Fax: +30 2 10 2724439 Hi, here is a procedure: 1. Remove CRM license of the user 2. Disable the user in CRM 3. Delete the user from the AD. Erik "SiEBEN Innovative Solutions" <newsgrou...

import- number- sort?

sorting macro #3

Sorting checking register

Increment Number Without Using Autonumber
Hi Folks - I have a db that tracks felony charges against defendants. I have a main defendant form with a charges subform. On the subform, I have 2 fields: Count and Statute. Count is a number from 1 to 999. Statute is a drop-down that references the master statute table. Currently, the user will enter the count manually. However, I would like to automate this process if possible. One problem with the manual approach is if Count 3 of 10 Counts is deleted. This forces the user to re-number the Counts. Not sure how to handle this. Any ideas? Note: For each charge, there can be multiple v...

How do I merge two columns without losing data?
If I want to split a column in two, I know I can use the Text to Column feature. How can I go from two columns to one without losing data in the merge? One way =CONCATENATE(A1,B1) Ian --- "Caseybay" <Caseybay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D860F83-00D5-446D-AAA5-BE938DF3C1BF@microsoft.com... > If I want to split a column in two, I know I can use the Text to Column > feature. How can I go from two columns to one without losing data in the > merge? =a1&b1 or =a1&" "&b1 (use a helper column of formulas.) Caseybay wrote...

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...

sorting issue
Hi, When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one column empty cells above the sort display first. How can this be prevented. I know when there is data in any of the other column but not on the column being sorted this will happen. Any thoughts? Pat Are you sure the cells are really empty? They don't contain spaces or even formulas that evaluate to "". (Even formulas converted to values that returned "")? Pat wrote: > > Hi, > > When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one > column em...

Sort not sorting all rows
I'm using Excel 2000. have created a document, uploaded it to google docs and spreadsheets, exported it as a doc, converted it to a spreadsheet (excel) and uploaded it again to google docs. It's not a complicated file - no calculations or anything, just a simple log to enable us to collaborate on change requests and website faults. New requests are assigned a number incrementally one higher than the previous. So we need to sort on the Log number column to see what the last logged number was. However, it sorts most of the spreadsheet and leaves the same 5 rows unsorted at the...

Sort date by day and not year
Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year. Ex: Would like to sort like list below: 3/02/1997 3/15/2002 3/21/1996 Not like this: 3/21/1996 3/02/1997 3/15/2002 Please help and thank you for your help. Kathy Hi one way: - add an additional helper column (lets ay B) - insert the following formula in B1 (if column A stores your list): =MONTH(A1) - copy this formula for all rows - sort with this helper column -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Kathy wrote: > Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year. > > Ex: > Would like to sort like list below: >...

Success with online banking
After multiple attempts I've been able to resume online banking in 2005 as I had been in 2004 without causing duplicate accounts. I do have both individual and joint accounts downloading for myself and my wife into the same money file. I'll try to understand and replicate what I did. It did involve merging duplicated accounts, but there were not duplicates of duplicates. ...

Sort and exclude certain words
Hi ... I work in a public library and frequently export lists of books from our online catalog to Excel, so that I can manipulate the data in various ways. My problem in sorting in Excel is this: Our library catalog excludes words like "The" "A" or "An" at the beginning of a title when sorting. Excel, however, does not. Is there any way I can sort on a field in Excel and have it ignore certain words at the beginning of a string? Thanks! -- jds217 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jds217's Profile: http://www.exc...

Not sorting as expected
I have a database some 10 columns wide and 1200 rows deep. When I sort by one particular column it sorts BLANKS before text meaning that the data appears at the bottom of the database although still in alphabetical order. I have the formatting set to GENERAL for the whole column and do want the blank cells. None of the other columns do this. I am totally perplexed as I thought Excel sorted blanks nearer the end of it's priority. I have tried formatting the column to TEXT and even NUMBER also but it still makes the data appear at the bottom of the table. This doesn't make any se...