Sort Names with several formats...HELP!

I have a big name list in one column...most of the names are in the "first
last" format but several are "first middle last" or "first & first last". I
need to sort by first last...don't need the spouse first name or middle name
or & sign...any suggestions! Thanks
0
KL23 (1)

Hi
you need a separate column with only the last name in it. See the
following site for extracting the last name:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"KL23" <KL23@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I have a big name list in one column...most of the names are in the
"first
> last" format but several are "first middle last" or "first & first
last". I
> need to sort by first last...don't need the spouse first name or
middle name
> or & sign...any suggestions! Thanks

0
frank.kabel (11126)

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

Outlook 2002 Contact Phone Number Field Formatting
Why don't phone numbers entered in the phone number contact fields on Outlook 2002 automatically format to include the paren's and hyphens? If this is suppose to happen, what is the setting to make it happen? They do here and always have. What are you seeing? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer mike <michael.kelner@fmr.com> asked: | Why don't phone numbers entered in the phone number | contact fields on Outlook 2002 automatically format to | include th...

Sorting

How to sort account list?

HELP: Add textbox to a frame at run time
Hi All, How can I add text boxes on the form at run time based on what user inputs in a textbox? For eg: I have a textbox "Total Students" , so Once I input a number in that textbox, I want to have that many textboxes on the form during run time. If I input 4 I want four textboxes to be displayed on the form. Thanks in advance ...

Formula to return the name of a tab?
We have a spreadsheet set up that pulls the minimum value from several different tabs. We are looking for a formula or a way to display, in the next column, which tab that minimum value came from. Does anyone have any ideas? You might check the Help files for information on the SHEETNAME function. Ed "Amanda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54F7CB4F-A621-4DB0-9963-56F0406EE8F1@microsoft.com... > We have a spreadsheet set up that pulls the minimum value from several different tabs. We are looking for a formula or a way to display, in the next...

Row names will not move with sort

Determine cells that drive conditional formatting?
Example: Cells A1:A4 have conditional formatting set up that states if they are equal to cell A10 they will be highlighted yellow. Is there a way to quickly see what cells drive conditional formatting? In other words, we can use Edit -> Go To Special to see which cells have conditional formatting applied; however, this doesn't show us that A10 is involved. Since there isn't a formula directly involved, we can't trace precedents/dependents. Can we only know that A10 is involved in the formatting of A1:A4 by selecting those cells and going into the conditional format...

Creating A Chart that counts repitition (don't know name)
So, I feel like a moron not knowing this. But I must have had a brain freeze for the last week. I have a tableset of about 300 rows in Excel 2007 with one column being a name and the other being a year. I want to create a graph of the years. IE Y Axis = number of times a certain year appears in the tableset column and the x axis being the years between (year k and year m). Sounds like a histogram. First you need to compile the data, then make a chart of the compiled data. Here's how: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ConsolidateData.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microso...

How can I make the reference link match the new formatting of its
My issue is that if the source data formatting is changed, the change in the formatting isn't reflected in the referebce link on the destination worksheet. For example: I have a link in cell A1 in Tab1 pointing to A1 in Tab2 which starts by being a dollar amount ($1,000). If I change A1 in Tab 2 to a percent and change it's formatting to (.50%), the link in Tab 1 stays formatted as a dollar amount ($0.50). How can I make the reference link match the new formatting of its source? I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you, -- Suzanne Marie Formulas can't cha...

CDatabase help needed
Hi anyone know when and why CDatabase throwing an exception " Database already exists" " Driver's SQLSETCONNECTION Attr Failed" this comes when i tried to call CDatabase.OpenEx(myConnecString,NoOdbcdialog). There is nuthing wrong with ma connect string. help needed - Jibesh Hi, If you could supply details of your connection string and all relevant code we may be able to help. - Tim "jibesh" <jibesh.vp@m2comsys.com> wrote in message news:%233lKw%231QEHA.132@TK2MSF...

sorts not sorting

import- number- sort?

sorting macro #3

vba formating
My problem is: I make some formatings in run time mode like : Worksheets(2).Range(Cells(intColuna, 1), Cells(intColuna, 2)).Interior.Color = RGB(200, 200, 200) Worksheets(2).Range(Cells(intColuna, 1), Cells (intColuna, 2)).Font.Bold = True and so on .... the problem is,the clearcontents command doesnt release or clear the settings made previous in the sheet, and cause of this, when i recall my sheet with another range, some cells appear bold or with some other color, when they should apear this time clear of every format what so ever. Sorry for any english mistakes, and i ...

Sorting checking register

how2: show contact name and phone fields in task list
It would be useful if I could display contact name and phone number fields in my task list. In Simple View I've used Field Chooser to insert these columns into the table .. but alas! the fields are blank. Can I do what I want to do and .. how? thanks Any folder view shows only the data in that folder, even though Outlook lets you think otherwise by allowing you to add fields from different types of items in the folder. You may be able to accomplish what you want, however, with a little custom VBA code. For an example, see http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=566 -- Su...

help with setting up which team plays who
Hello, i have 14 teams and i'm trying to get excel to list them all t play each other once at 6 games per week trying to get excel to figure this out for me a1= team1 b1=team2 c1=team3 d1=team4 all the way down to team n=team 14 how would you get excel to do this the simplest way -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Method Naming
Hello, This might be a strange question but I am creating a few repositories and I am looking how should I name my methods. I have been looking in C# and I came up with the following: public interface IAlbumRepository { void Add(Album album); IQueryable<Album> FindAll(); Album FindById(Int32 id); void Remove(Int32 id); void Save(); void Update(Album album); } // IAlbumRepository What do you think? Previously I had "Create", "Delete", etc. But I think this is maybe closer to what is usually done. Not? Thanks, Mi...

Is there a universal file savings format?
I am upgrading to Win 7. Therefore I am looking for the "best" word processing program, such as MS Word 2002 (which I am currently using), or MS Word 2007, or Open Office. Word 2002 is very fast and works fine. It saves files as .doc . I played with Word 2007 and found it very bewildering and totally different from Word 2002 (More eye candy). It saves files as docx. I have not tried Open Office but I understand it saves files in a different format yet: .sxw Why did MS break with the ancient .doc suffix and why did they invent ..docx, which is not readable by an...

Formatting #17
Hi, In a column I want all the numbers to end with 000. The figures are coming from other files and are sometimes with one, two or three 0:s How can I format the cells so that the numbers always come with 000 in the end? Thanks in advance Prixton, it's not clear what you mean here. If you mean you want to round the number to the nearest 1000 eg 12345 to appear a 12000 then assuming your number is in A1, in B1 enter =INT(A1/1000)*1000 If what you mean is that you want 3 decimal places in each case (eg 12.345) then format the cell as Number and select 3 decimal places. Ian "...

protecting format
I have just figured out how to protect the format of cells so that when a date is input it always goes to the same format and font etc, and the format cannot be changed by anyone. However, when a date cell is copied from another excel file to my protected cell it does not revert to my desired format. How can I ensure that whenever anything is pasted into the cell that the format will automatically revert to my desired format? (ie without having to paste special) - (maybe some VB code will do this???) Thank You! One way around this is to just change the number format each time a cell ch...

Entities with Multiple Entries - or Campaigns?
I hope someone out there will be kind enough to help me with this dilemma. Sorry this is lengthy but hopefully the description will make it easier to offer assistance. :-) We do a number of "marketing events" to which we invite clients and prospects. I've been reading a number of posts and thought I would be brilliant and create a new entity called "Marketing Events." In my dream I thought I would be able to create a list of events on one screen, then within contacts I would be able to select an event that a person had attended. Again, in my dream, I had th...