Sort fails on one column

I've been working with a spreadsheet, using different sorts on it. But
suddenly one of the columns became a no-op for sorting, whether I sort on
that column alone or do a multi-column sort. The only thing I did of interest
was to define a pulldown list (for a different column) in a column over at
the right, which is outside of the sort range. To be specific, I highlight
columns A-J to sort, and J is the one that doesn't work. Columns L-M are used
to define pulldowns, but not for column J. Any ideas?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

christophercbrewster

I got this to work but don't understand it. I moved my pulldown definition to
another sheet, and the sheet with the problem then sorted correctly. I moved
the pulldown definition back to where it had been, and the sorting was still
correct. So it had something to do with the pulldown definition, but I don't
know what.

christophercbrewster wrote:
>I've been working with a spreadsheet, using different sorts on it. But
>suddenly one of the columns became a no-op for sorting, whether I sort on
>that column alone or do a multi-column sort. The only thing I did of interest
>was to define a pulldown list (for a different column) in a column over at
>the right, which is outside of the sort range. To be specific, I highlight
>columns A-J to sort, and J is the one that doesn't work. Columns L-M are used
>to define pulldowns, but not for column J. Any ideas?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

christophercbrewster
5/24/2010 4:03:09 PM
Help! The sort is broken again, even with all pulldown definitions removed.
Anyone know what can prevent a sort from happening?

christophercbrewster wrote:
>I've been working with a spreadsheet, using different sorts on it. But
>suddenly one of the columns became a no-op for sorting, whether I sort on
>that column alone or do a multi-column sort. The only thing I did of interest
>was to define a pulldown list (for a different column) in a column over at
>the right, which is outside of the sort range. To be specific, I highlight
>columns A-J to sort, and J is the one that doesn't work. Columns L-M are used
>to define pulldowns, but not for column J. Any ideas?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

christophercbrewster

Comparing and extracting from two columns
Hi all, I have two columns of data. Column A is a list of approx. 20,000 ZIP codes, column B is a selected list of approx. 1600 ZIP codes. How can I compare the two and remove all of the entries in A except those that match B. I would also like to have A sorted so that the identical entries line up with B. There may be entries in B that are not in A, so I would like A to contain a blank cell where the match would be. I used =IF(VLOOKUP(B1,A:A,1,FALSE),"MATCH","") to highlight the matching ZIP codes in A, but that does not remove the unwanted ZIP codes or sort them...

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

Unhiding Column A
I am using Excel 2003 SP2 and I have a spreadsheet with column A missing. I have followed all the Help Menu advice. I can navigate to column A and hit Format Column Unhide or Format Column Width, but to no avail. It is either hidden or set to zero width, but in any case, it will NOT show up. I have searched all the group postings, been to Microsoft.com help (yea, right) and done everything I can think of. Even installed a macro I found to unhide columns by macro. Any help would be most appreciated. John13 try selecting the cells button to the left of the column headers and on top o...

How to Merge Date from 3 columns to 1
I have a spreadsheet where the date is spread over 3 columns I,J & K and I wish to merge them to Column B in the format dd-mmm-yyyy as shown below. B I J K 02-Feb-2003 02 Feb 2003 27-Mar-1999 27 Mar 1999 01-Apr-1978 Apr 1978 01-Jan-1998 1998 14-Jun-2002 14 Jun 2002 Where there is a blank for the day in 'Column I' I need it to copy as 01 and where there is a blank for the month in 'Column J' I need it to copy as Jan. Where all 3 column...

The one source for SEO Services
After using 10 different seo companies over the last 2 years for all my sites the only one that got me the conversion rates like I wanted was http://www.atomicsearchengineoptimization.com Atomic SEO. Really, I thought their prices were outstanding, by that I mean expensive but after two months of service, it was worth every dollar. Here is their pricing, http://www.atomicsearchengineoptimization.com/Monthy_plan_rates-seo-services.html How do you think their rates compare? ...

Sorting

How to sort account list?

Row names will not move with sort

The Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine Service failed to start
Hello Folks, I have an issue here; The Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine Service failed to start due to the following error, "The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement this service." I am unable to start the Exchange Routing Engine Service and it fails. I tried to add IMAP4Svc, RESvc & POP3Svc which were missing to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\InetInfo\Parameters\DispatchEntries with NO GO. Some background: IIS components SMTP & NNTP were removed some how and I had to install that again and since then i am s...

sorts not sorting

Error: Method 'OpenTextFile' of object 'IFileSystem' failed.
I am epxeriencing the same issue now. Only diffeence is mine is 'Method OpenTextFile of Object Ifilesystem failed'. I am sitting late nights to trouble shoot this. Any help is appreciated. I have a VBA macro on MS Excel that should open and read from a Text file. This is the code Dim fs, Tempfile Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set TempFile = fs.OpenTextFile(strInputFile, 1, False) Do While TempFile.AtEndOfLine <> True ' Process Loop I found that it throws error in the OpenTextFile mothod above.. It works for all of ...

import- number- sort?

video on One Note
The picture is kind of psychedelic... while all other applications and tv work fine on my pc... Do I need a special codec? ...

Easiest way of handling multiple checks with one deposit
I am fairly new to Microsoft Money (using 2007), but it is working out very well for me. The only thing I am currently trying to figure out is the best/easiest way to handle things when I make a deposit with two or more checks at once. I am having Money sync with my bank, and any deposit (regardless of the number of checks) is treated as a single entry. I have seen a few references to using some sort of secondary account, but it seems like a fairly round-about way to handle it. Are there any alternatives methods known? Thank you for any information. In microsoft.public.money, Matt wr...

sorting macro #3

Sorting checking register

Outlook 2003 Can't Open Item MS OFFICE FAILED
Yikes, I'm having a real problem. I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 Home Edition Office 2003 with Service Pack 2 (only have Outlook and Word installed) Toshiba Notebook M15-S405 Satellite Pro 1.4 ghz with 512 mgs ram I woke up one morning and saw that I had a stop error window open on my computer explaining that Windows had encountered some kind of driver error and that windows had to restart. Windows offered that I review my system for serious errors. That is a very sad thing to wake up to. So I ran a chkdsk and defragged and a virus check. No problems there. I checked my ...

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...

Column Heading #3
My column headings are displayed as numeric. For instance, cell A-1 is now R-1C1. Any ideas on how to correct? Happy holidays. "Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:007c01c3c8ab$a9f5ffe0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > My column headings are displayed as numeric. For > instance, cell A-1 is now R-1C1. Any ideas on how to > correct? > > Happy holidays. Tools > Options > General tab Uncheck "R1C1 reference style". ...

The Operation Failed, Outlook 2003
I am trying to use Outlook 2003 (windows XP) with Gmail POP, and when I close outlook and then change my mind & try to re-open it, it gives me a box that says "The Operation Failed". This account had originally been used for an exchange (default) server, then the gmail one, then Exchange was removed and the Gmail one was made the default. This problem occurs when I close outlook, and once the screen has cleared, if I re-launch outlook, I'll get the message box (the only option is OK). I then have to click to launch outlook again and it appears to work fine. I'v...

Is it possible to host one domain in two servers?
Hello all, I'm currently working on adding a new server in a new branch location. Right now I have SBS 2003 and it's working fine. The people in the branch will just VPN in to retreive their emails. As that branch grows, there's a need for a faster email. I'm planning to add a new Exchange server on that branch machine. Is there a way to separate mailboxes to two different servers under one domain? For example: person1@domain.com will go to server1.domain.com and person2@domain.com will go to server2.domain.com. Thanks, Jerry Generally speaking, yes, Exchange definitely al...

[ANN] Share one account with multiple users and/or computers
PROBLEM: * You are in a situation where two or more people check the same account but have problems knowing who has acted on the message(s) or see a flagged message for your attention. This is further complicated by platform and email application (e.g. Outlook, Entourage and Apple mail). * You are the only user but access your account from multiple computers. Continue reading for the solution along with info on IMAP and POP accounts as well as IMAP providers: Share one account with multiple users and/or computers (The Entourage Help Blog) <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2009/01/share...

sorting issue
Hi, When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one column empty cells above the sort display first. How can this be prevented. I know when there is data in any of the other column but not on the column being sorted this will happen. Any thoughts? Pat Are you sure the cells are really empty? They don't contain spaces or even formulas that evaluate to "". (Even formulas converted to values that returned "")? Pat wrote: > > Hi, > > When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one > column em...