Sort data in Excel

I am having some tag numbers and it is entered in random. I want to sort this
according to the group which starts  alphabetically. How can this be done? I
know that filter is one way but it doest work the way i want. Eg. I am having
tags pg-1, , pg-5, pg-2, he-1, xza-2, pza-3, fia-1 etc. I want to sort it
such a way that all the tag starts with p should come together and h should
come together .... and so on ..
how can this be done .
thanks in advance
0
SGPillai (7)

Can you use an extra column and sort by that, eg. if the tags are in column

=LEFT(A2,1)

This will parse the first letter into a new column and you can use this as
the first sort and then the original one as the second source

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"S.G.Pillai" <SGPillai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having some tag numbers and it is entered in random. I want to sort
>this
> according to the group which starts  alphabetically. How can this be done?
> know that filter is one way but it doest work the way i want. Eg. I am
> having
> tags pg-1, , pg-5, pg-2, he-1, xza-2, pza-3, fia-1 etc. I want to sort it
> such a way that all the tag starts with p should come together and h
> should
> come together .... and so on ..
> how can this be done .
> thanks in advance

Can you explain it much more clearly because i am not a frequent user of
excel and have no much deep knowledge of it.
Where should i put this ?(=left(a2,1)) in column b? or ???

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

> Can you use an extra column and sort by that, eg. if the tags are in column
>
> =LEFT(A2,1)
>
> This will parse the first letter into a new column and you can use this as
> the first sort and then the original one as the second source
>
> --
> HTH
> Nick Hodge
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Southampton, England
> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS
>

> "S.G.Pillai" <SGPillai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having some tag numbers and it is entered in random. I want to sort
> >this
> > according to the group which starts  alphabetically. How can this be done?
> > know that filter is one way but it doest work the way i want. Eg. I am
> > having
> > tags pg-1, , pg-5, pg-2, he-1, xza-2, pza-3, fia-1 etc. I want to sort it
> > such a way that all the tag starts with p should come together and h
> > should
> > come together .... and so on ..
> > how can this be done .
> > thanks in advance

0
SGPillai (7)
10/6/2005 8:56:03 AM
Hi s.g,

simply try this
..data>sort>'call ref' (than accending /dsiending)

anirudh

"S.G.Pillai" wrote:

> I am having some tag numbers and it is entered in random. I want to sort this
> according to the group which starts  alphabetically. How can this be done? I
> know that filter is one way but it doest work the way i want. Eg. I am having
> tags pg-1, , pg-5, pg-2, he-1, xza-2, pza-3, fia-1 etc. I want to sort it
> such a way that all the tag starts with p should come together and h should
> come together .... and so on ..
> how can this be done .
> thanks in advance
0
Anirudh1 (8)
10/6/2005 10:26:16 AM
Is this doest solve, because if sorted i cant get them in such  a way to
assign a macro to get those tags which come in particular groups because
either it will sort in alphabetical order or reverse. Any thing else pls to
try with ??????????

"Anirudh" wrote:

> Hi s.g,
>
> simply try this
> .data>sort>'call ref' (than accending /dsiending)
>
> anirudh
>
> "S.G.Pillai" wrote:
>
> > I am having some tag numbers and it is entered in random. I want to sort this
> > according to the group which starts  alphabetically. How can this be done? I
> > know that filter is one way but it doest work the way i want. Eg. I am having
> > tags pg-1, , pg-5, pg-2, he-1, xza-2, pza-3, fia-1 etc. I want to sort it
> > such a way that all the tag starts with p should come together and h should
> > come together .... and so on ..
> > how can this be done .
> > thanks in advance
0
SGPillai (7)
10/6/2005 1:11:07 PM
I don't quite understand your delima.  I took this...
pg-5
pg-2
xe-1
xza-2
pza-3
fia-1
pg-1

sorted it and got this...
fia-1
pg-1
pg-2
pg-5
pza-3
xe-1
xza-2

All of the p's are together, all of the x's are together, etc.

"S.G.Pillai" wrote:

> I am having some tag numbers and it is entered in random. I want to sort this
> according to the group which starts  alphabetically. How can this be done? I
> know that filter is one way but it doest work the way i want. Eg. I am having
> tags pg-1, , pg-5, pg-2, he-1, xza-2, pza-3, fia-1 etc. I want to sort it
> such a way that all the tag starts with p should come together and h should
> come together .... and so on ..
> how can this be done .
> thanks in advance
0
JR1 (208)

copying data
Getting errors when copying data from workbook to workbook. Shutdown and restart allows without errors. ...

Cannot open Excel attachments
Hello, I have a user that cannot open Excel attachments from inside Outlook. He gets a security message and is given an option to save the attachments or cancel. He can open all other attachments without this warning appearing. I checked his registry and he has .xls files in the exception that is posted on the MS KB. He has Excel 2002 and Outlook 2002. His e-mail comes through an Exchange server. I do not have special security settings in place for this user. I cannot find anything else on Google or MS. Please help. Thank you. Aaron Aaron hu kiteb: > Hello, I have a user that cannot op...

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

Sorting

How to sort account list?

Row names will not move with sort

Trendline partial data
I am trying to add a trendline to a process variable on a line-chart and use it to predict when remedial action is required. When the data parameter is reset, the trendline automatically takes in this new set of figures and attaches it to the previous, giving a totally skewed analysis. Is there any way that I can select only some of the data to trend? Then as the reset data grows, only to select the new series from the process? Thanks Hi David, Jon Peltier has a site that mentioned about dynamic charts which I find useful and you might want to check this out. http://peltier...

looking for Excel VBA work
I am looking for Excel VBA work... I have been working with excel and vba for the past 3 years. I am very involved in it. I love helping people. Although I do require some money for my work, I do not charge as high as most programmer's do. If you need some help or some work done, please contact me at conspiringfate@earthlink.net Mike -- conspiringfate ------------------------------------------------------------------------ conspiringfate's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31745 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?...

Aligning data with varying decimal places
I have a column of cells in which the data include various numbers of decimal places. Is there a way to align the data vertically so that the decimals line up, without adding trailing zeroes? one way: Format/Cells/Number/Custom 0.??? In article <DD9B0C05-0A1D-4A5A-99F4-BB8030D9F7F2@microsoft.com>, edpaul <edpaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a column of cells in which the data include various numbers of decimal > places. Is there a way to align the data vertically so that the decimals > line up, without adding trailing zeroes? ...

sorts not sorting

Representing Dual Data in a Stacked Bar Chart
Here is my data: Location Flowers Trees Year 1 Year 2 Year 1 Year 2 Texas 55 63 36 14 Florida 67 75 24 21 NJ 32 27 52 10 Colorado 35 41 35 9 California 84 126 78 39 I want a stacked bar chart that shows Flowers & Trees for Year 1 next to another stacked bar for Year 2, grouped by location shown along the X axis. Please help, all I could come up with is a Stacked bar for Year 1, overlayed by 2 separate line graphs for Flowers/Yr2 and Trees/Yr2. -- VB On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, VB <VB@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want...

import- number- sort?

Receiving excel files
Whenever I receive an Excel file through email and try to open it, I receive the error message 'file format is not valid'. These are all .xls files. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem ??? Doug What versions of XL? (if you have versions before 97 and you are sent 97 or above, the file formats are different) -- HTH Nick Hodge Southampton, England nick_hodge@btinternet.com "Doug" <dwire90@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:01ae01c3903a$31837eb0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Whenever I receive an Excel file through email and try to > open it, I receive the...

macro in excel to copy from excel to word
i have a database in excel...which i would like to take more advantag of. I also have some forms in Word that I was hoping to be able to get the to be automatically completed using the excel database. Initially thought this would be quite simple.... just record the macr then modify it to suit. This using simple copy from excel and paste into word document, o pasting into form..field..values. I have done a little before with excel macros - to a level of 'usin excel programming for dummies' book. But really do not know where t start now. Have seen this: "Dim appWD As Word.Appl...

Data and Color calculations
I need to find a way to get total for a particular name. I work in a vineyard and we want to track how many of each vine we have. we have our rows and blocks of vines in a spread sheet. I now have to sort by name then count how many of each vine we have. I also assign the vines a color based on when they will be harvested. Can excel do the above type of calculation based on sum or total of a particular color Thanks so much for any help Ron redwards(at)ap.net Hi Ron, Try something like this modified to suit your ranges. Does not count Conditional Formatting colors. Dave McRitchie has a...

difference between Excel 2000 and Excel XP, and Excel 2002
I would like to know what the differences are between Excel 2000 and Excel XP, and Excel 2002 Go to John Walkenbach's site www.j-wal.com Lots of info there. -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Eleanor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD9A6D01-EA2F-4031-B6C6-99E2E2DD0EE3@microsoft.com... > I would like to know what the differences are between Excel 2000 and Excel XP, and Excel 2002 This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C3F6CA.F29BA860 Content-Type: multipart/alt...

I am trying to project out a line graph based on data
Hi, I have made a line chart based on some data for a fiften year period. I would like to plot out the future points for a thirty year period based on this data. Does anyone know how to do this? To perform a line projection, first click on the series the you would like to forecast. Go to Chart -> Add Trendline. The "options" tab will allow you to project the trend forward. You will probably want to use the "linear" option. It can also provide an equation which would allow you to manually calculate a future projection as opposed to using the trendline. -- Jo...

Pivot Table
Hi! What is the maximum rows allowed in a data range when using a pivot table? I have a pivot table that uses a data range. When I have only 4581 records in the data range, the pivot table updates with no problems. But, when entering more than 4581, the pivot table won't update and gives me an error. Am I hitting the max on data rows within my data range or is there a work-around. Thanks!! dmotika The following MSKB articles outline PivotTable limitations for different versions of Excel: XL2000: Limits of PivotTables in Microsoft Excel 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/de...

sorting macro #3

Sorting checking register

Auto-entering data from another sheet
Hello all, Hopefully someone can help me. I am wanting to automatically enter data from one sheet into the next by a text prompt. For example: On sheet 2 I will have 3 static columns that will have data entered in the format: text / text / number respectively. On sheet one I want to be able to enter the text from the first column on sheet two and have excel automatically fill in 2 other cells with the data from cell B and C from sheet 2. For example: Sheet 2 contains hello / how / 123 in row 1 and column A,B,C. I enter: hello (on sheet 1 cell A) and in cell B and C I automatically get...

Excel should allow macro on a shared workbook.
We are using excel tables all the time at my company. There are more than 20 people working on the same excel file which has thousands of columns so we use autofilter or some other macros. Shared workbook will help us alot because we will be able to change the file at the same time which is very time saving. Is there any way that macros are allowed at shared workbooks? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not ...

Save Excel 2002 to be read by MacIntosh Excel 2004?
Is it possible for the MacIntosh Excel 2004 to read an Excel XP 2002 spreadsheet? How should XP spreadsheet be saved? HELP, please!! MacXL98/01/v.X/2004 files are the exact same format as WinXL97/00/02/03 files. Save the file as an XL workbook and transfer it to the Mac. In article <0D5EBD4E-E12F-4E2D-AC2C-F45E556284E9@microsoft.com>, "cagedbirdflies" <cagedbirdflies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is it possible for the MacIntosh Excel 2004 to read an Excel XP 2002 > spreadsheet? How should XP spreadsheet be saved? HELP, please!! "JE McGimpse...