Sort column containing different data types

Can anyone help, I have a column with project codes in the following format

123
146/5
102/3

Is there any way to sort the column by the numeric values to the left of the
character symbol only, so that it reads:

102/3		and not		   123	  result with normal sort
123				      102/3
146/5				      1246
1246				      1344
1344				     146/5

Is there any  way round this other than separating the code into separate
columns ??

0
pavlosbat (1)

p,

My Excel add-in Special Sort will sort by the first group (or last group)
of numbers in the cell entry.  It sorted your numbers as follows...
102/3
123
146/5

The add-in has over twenty different sort methods not easily accomplished
in Excel, including sorting by color, date, reverse, length, random, prefix, suffix.
It has an option to include cell borders with the sorted data.
Works and looks somewhat like the normal Excel sort utility.
Comes with a Word.doc install/use file.
It is - free - just email me and request it.
Remove XXX from my email address.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA
jim.coneXXX@rcn.comXXX

"pavlosbat" <pavlosbat@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message
Can anyone help, I have a column with project codes in the following format

123
146/5
102/3

Is there any way to sort the column by the numeric values to the left of the
character symbol only, so that it reads:
102/3 and not    123   result with normal sort
123       102/3
146/5       1246
1246       1344
1344      146/5
Is there any  way round this other than separating the code into separate
columns ??

0
jim.coneXXX (771)

Sorting

How to Merge Date from 3 columns to 1
I have a spreadsheet where the date is spread over 3 columns I,J & K and I wish to merge them to Column B in the format dd-mmm-yyyy as shown below. B I J K 02-Feb-2003 02 Feb 2003 27-Mar-1999 27 Mar 1999 01-Apr-1978 Apr 1978 01-Jan-1998 1998 14-Jun-2002 14 Jun 2002 Where there is a blank for the day in 'Column I' I need it to copy as 01 and where there is a blank for the month in 'Column J' I need it to copy as Jan. Where all 3 column...

How to sort account list?

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

Unhiding Column A
I am using Excel 2003 SP2 and I have a spreadsheet with column A missing. I have followed all the Help Menu advice. I can navigate to column A and hit Format Column Unhide or Format Column Width, but to no avail. It is either hidden or set to zero width, but in any case, it will NOT show up. I have searched all the group postings, been to Microsoft.com help (yea, right) and done everything I can think of. Even installed a macro I found to unhide columns by macro. Any help would be most appreciated. John13 try selecting the cells button to the left of the column headers and on top o...

Comparing and extracting from two columns
Hi all, I have two columns of data. Column A is a list of approx. 20,000 ZIP codes, column B is a selected list of approx. 1600 ZIP codes. How can I compare the two and remove all of the entries in A except those that match B. I would also like to have A sorted so that the identical entries line up with B. There may be entries in B that are not in A, so I would like A to contain a blank cell where the match would be. I used =IF(VLOOKUP(B1,A:A,1,FALSE),"MATCH","") to highlight the matching ZIP codes in A, but that does not remove the unwanted ZIP codes or sort them...

How do I transfer data from Notepad to Excel?
I transferred a file from a database that will only save reports in Notepad. I then, cut and paste the data into Excel. However all of the info is merged into one cell. How can I format this data, so that it will be a simple worksheet with more than one cell? i.e. Name, SSN, Home address should all be in different cells Erika, Have you tried importing the file through the Data | Import External Data | Import Data... function? This function will allow you to import the data and separate the fields into different cells. Henry Falk "erika" wrote: > I transferred a file fr...

Row/Column labels not displayed.
Hi I'm using Excel 2002 A spreadsheet I've been given to use only displays the row/column labels upto 73/X respectively. I've never seen this before. Any ideas how I can set this up? TIA Dave F. Further to my previous mail, the movement of the selected cell by using the cursor or clickin/dragging "Dave F." <df@bh.cv.fg> wrote in message news:OzcDG$60EHA.3364@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi > I'm using Excel 2002 > > A spreadsheet I've been given to use only displays the row/column labels > upto 73/X respectively. > > I've never s...

Can I convert a column into a row?
Excel Question. I simply want to convert a column of figures [each in different cells] into a row with a similar number of cells. Must be simple, but can't seem to find how to do it. Thanks for any replies, guys!! Select the cells in the column you want to paste in the row. copy (control C). Select the same number of cells in a row, click Edit > Paste Special. Select transpose. Click ok. - Mangesh "Lenworth" <Lenworth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBEBCC94-3B52-46D1-934C-224E3C234E6B@microsoft.com... > Excel Question. I simply want to convert ...

COUNT function 2 Columns
I have two columns of data, CATEGORY and NUMBER, and want to be able to COUNT the number instances where CATEGORY = X and NUMBER = Y. I know how to use the COUNT function on each column, but I don't know how to use it on two columns. Thanks! James, how about something like this =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A25="test")*(B2:B25=24)) -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 2003 ** remove news from my email address to reply by ema...

How to prevent ole container hwnd receive certain messages? #2
I used CSubclassWnd of Paul DiLascia to subclass(in fact use SetWindowLong to replace WindowProc) hwnd returned from IOleWindow::GetWindow. In the WindowProc I prevent it by LRESULT CShellEmbedding::WindowProc(UINT msg, WPARAM wp, LPARAM lp) { if (msg == WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGING) return 0; return CSubclassWnd::WindowProc(msg, wp, lp); // Important!! } but spy++ still tell me that hwnd of ole get the send WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGING message and return. So Is it right way to eat message in win32 or ole container hwnd does special things? "Su Wei" <suwei@sina_com> wrote in message new...

Row names will not move with sort

Trendline partial data
I am trying to add a trendline to a process variable on a line-chart and use it to predict when remedial action is required. When the data parameter is reset, the trendline automatically takes in this new set of figures and attaches it to the previous, giving a totally skewed analysis. Is there any way that I can select only some of the data to trend? Then as the reset data grows, only to select the new series from the process? Thanks Hi David, Jon Peltier has a site that mentioned about dynamic charts which I find useful and you might want to check this out. http://peltier...

Money Plus Deluxe 2008 Can't Change Account Type
I set up a 401k account as an asset account, instead of a retirement account in an earlier version of Money. I did it that way because that version made it hard to manage if listed properly. I can't figure out how to change it to a retirement account in Money Plus Deluxe 2008. It isn't an option under Change Account Settings. However, if I look at my checking account under Change Account Settings, there is an option to change it to a retirement account. Why can't I change an asset account to a retirement account? -- Jeannine ...

sorts not sorting

Aligning data with varying decimal places
I have a column of cells in which the data include various numbers of decimal places. Is there a way to align the data vertically so that the decimals line up, without adding trailing zeroes? one way: Format/Cells/Number/Custom 0.??? In article <DD9B0C05-0A1D-4A5A-99F4-BB8030D9F7F2@microsoft.com>, edpaul <edpaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a column of cells in which the data include various numbers of decimal > places. Is there a way to align the data vertically so that the decimals > line up, without adding trailing zeroes? ...

import- number- sort?

Representing Dual Data in a Stacked Bar Chart
Here is my data: Location Flowers Trees Year 1 Year 2 Year 1 Year 2 Texas 55 63 36 14 Florida 67 75 24 21 NJ 32 27 52 10 Colorado 35 41 35 9 California 84 126 78 39 I want a stacked bar chart that shows Flowers & Trees for Year 1 next to another stacked bar for Year 2, grouped by location shown along the X axis. Please help, all I could come up with is a Stacked bar for Year 1, overlayed by 2 separate line graphs for Flowers/Yr2 and Trees/Yr2. -- VB On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, VB <VB@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want...

sorting macro #3

Contacts on Delgate computer are different than Mine
So I have a delegate that is an Editor to my mailbox. She takes care of all my contacts. However the contacts that she has for my mailbox on her outlook do not match what is in my mailbox - contacts on my pc? How are they different? Maybe she's not seeing some that you've marked as private? -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=54 "DMobley232" <dmobley232@gmail.com> wrote in message news:3abd1c74-3744-4b88-8ae0-fc...

Auto-entering data from another sheet
Hello all, Hopefully someone can help me. I am wanting to automatically enter data from one sheet into the next by a text prompt. For example: On sheet 2 I will have 3 static columns that will have data entered in the format: text / text / number respectively. On sheet one I want to be able to enter the text from the first column on sheet two and have excel automatically fill in 2 other cells with the data from cell B and C from sheet 2. For example: Sheet 2 contains hello / how / 123 in row 1 and column A,B,C. I enter: hello (on sheet 1 cell A) and in cell B and C I automatically get...

Sorting checking register

Getting Data out of MS CRM
What is the best way to get all the data out of MS CRM in order to migrate it to another CRM system? Woud the Data Migration tool work for this? I've never used it. If you want all the data, and all the customisations, the best option is to use SQL backup and restore, and the CRM redeployment tool against the restored database. Using the Data Migration tool will be hard work for this, and has some noticeable limitations, such as it can't be used for custom entities "mscrmuser" wrote: > What is the best way to get all the data out of MS CRM in order to > migrate...