Sort cells with same text descending

hi,

Need some help with a spreadsheet which has the following setup

aaa     111
bbb     223
ccc     345
ddd     564
ddd     123

Now what i need to do is have the highest similar text cells
descending.
i.e
ddd    123
ddd    564
aaa    111
bbb    223
ccc    345

I would like the individual rows to be shifted in this order also, not
just column A and B.
Any guidance in the right direction would help!
Thanks,
T-DHM =)

--
T-DHM
T-DHM's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30136

I do not know whether I do understand your problem correctly, but would it
solve your problem when sorting column A ascending and column B descending....
--
Jeroen van Nieuwkerk

"T-DHM" wrote:

> hi,
>
> Need some help with a spreadsheet which has the following setup
>
> aaa     111
> bbb     223
> ccc     345
> ddd     564
> ddd     123
>
> Now what i need to do is have the highest similar text cells
> descending.
> i.e
> ddd    123
> ddd    564
> aaa    111
> bbb    223
> ccc    345
>
> I would like the individual rows to be shifted in this order also, not
> just column A and B.
> Any guidance in the right direction would help!
> Thanks,
> T-DHM =)
>

> --
> T-DHM
> T-DHM's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30136
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498767

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

Sorting

How to sort account list?

Row names will not move with sort

Determine cells that drive conditional formatting?
Example: Cells A1:A4 have conditional formatting set up that states if they are equal to cell A10 they will be highlighted yellow. Is there a way to quickly see what cells drive conditional formatting? In other words, we can use Edit -> Go To Special to see which cells have conditional formatting applied; however, this doesn't show us that A10 is involved. Since there isn't a formula directly involved, we can't trace precedents/dependents. Can we only know that A10 is involved in the formatting of A1:A4 by selecting those cells and going into the conditional format...

sorts not sorting

fix cell references
I often have to fix and then unfix cell references using the $ sign to fix and then find and replace to unfix. Is there a menu option to fix column / fix row / fix reference (and unfix). If there is I cant find it. Hi AK not AFAIK, however F4 is the shortcut key for this and takes you through a cycle of A1 - column & row relative $A$1 - column & row absolute A$1 - column relative & row absolute $A1 - column absolute & row relative would using a mixed absolute / relative reference solve your problem? Cheers JulieD "AK" <AK@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

import- number- sort?

Swap Cells
Is there an easy way to select two cells and swap them? Thanks, W Wolfe Depends on your definition of easy. Temporarily, click and drag the first cell to an empty cell. Click and drag the 2nd cell to the 1st cell. Click and drag the temporary cell to the 2nd cell. Depending on how far apart the cells are, it may be easier to use cut+paste rather than click-and-drag. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Multi-disciplinary business expertise + Technology skills = Optimal solution to your business problem Recipient Microsoft MVP award 2000-2005 In article <#WTIBH...

text in cell shows up as ####

Cell.Find
Can anyone suggest an alterantive to Cell.Find or help me with the correct code please. Error message is: Active method of Range class failed The Cell.Find is run in spreadheet X Cells.Find(What:=SCN, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlValues, _ LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _ MatchCase:=False).Activate SCN is a value in spreadsheet Y I have tried being specific with Workbooks("Y").Cell.find etc etc but get error: Object doesn't support this property or method Need to lookup a value in spreadsheet Y and retieve a value in the cell next to the ...

sorting macro #3

New Line in Cell
Appol's in advance if this is really obvious. I have been given a spreadsheet and its looks as though somehow the person has been able to do carriage returns that create a new line in the same cell. For me it simply jumps to the next cell. Anyone know how to do the new line in cell please? Ta. Bill. Hold down the Alt key and press Enter at the same time. Hope this helps. Pete On Jan 30, 9:05=A0am, "Bill" <b...@bill.com> wrote: > Appol's in advance if this is really obvious. > > I have been given a spreadsheet and its looks as though somehow the perso...

A validation of all cells in a row
I am trying to validate all cells in a row so the user can not go to the next row with out having an entry in each cell in the row. If a cell is left blank, I would like an error message to appear and the user returned to the row that wasn't fully entered. We are doing this on a worksheet. thanks If it's possible at all, it would require a VBA macro. And it would certainly not be very reliable. Perhaps a better approach is to do all of your data validation when the file is closed. But even that isn't very reliable. John Walkenbach For Excel tips, macros, & downloads.....

date formatting a cell
When I use the date formatting in a cell i.e. m/d/yy and enter my numbers i.e 2604, I get 2/16/07. Can you help me Hi you have to enter the date with delimiters. so you have to enter 2/6/04 If you want Excel to automatic convert numbers you have to use VBA. Have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm for an example event procedure Frank vos wrote: > When I use the date formatting in a cell i.e. m/d/yy and enter my > numbers i.e 2604, I get 2/16/07. Can you help me Hi that is the way Excel handles date inputs. As Excel stores dates internally as numbers it does ...

Sorting checking register

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...

Foreign text -- why does this happen
Hi, all I've got a question regarding foreign text in Outlook. I write to people in Japan and China and hence sometimes write in these languages. I have used Systran and other translation packages, but when I copy and paste the text into the mail window, it shows up as garbage. If I paste it back into the translator, it shows as it should. If I use Babelfish or Systran from the web and then copy and paste the text that it gives me there (which is mostly the same), the text works and displays in Outlook as it should. Does anyone know why this is the case? I've tried forcing the font to ...

Merging Two Cells and Keeping the Values
I have two one cell that I am using Cell A. I am typing giftcard numbers in the cells as 6003860012345678. The giftcard = 16 digits. I need it to default and place 3 zero's at the beginning of each of the giftcard numbers like "0006003860012345678". The giftcard should equal 19 digits with the 34 zeros out in front. I tried merging them. Is there a way to do this? Sincerely, Raymond Have you tried using a custom format on the cell with nineteen zeros? "Raymond" wrote: > I have two one cell that I am using Cell A. I am typing giftcard numbers in >...

sorting issue
Hi, When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one column empty cells above the sort display first. How can this be prevented. I know when there is data in any of the other column but not on the column being sorted this will happen. Any thoughts? Pat Are you sure the cells are really empty? They don't contain spaces or even formulas that evaluate to "". (Even formulas converted to values that returned "")? Pat wrote: > > Hi, > > When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one > column em...

Cell Protection #10
I have a worksheet with five columns that contain IF formulas (Group A) linked back to other columns in the same worksheet (Group B). I need to protect the formulas in those five columns (Group A), so that they cannot be deleted/changed. I have followed the correct procedures to lock the specific cells and password-protect the worksheet. One of the columns in “unlocked” Group B contains links to two other files. The users need the ability to change the links to other file sources. When the columns in Group A are locked and protected, the user cannot change the file links. Is there...

how to high light cells
have columns from A1 to A300 TO CP1 TO CP300 if I click on a particulr cell on any row is it possible to high light that whole row if there is a way please tell me how!!! hi try this and see if it's what you want.. this is worksheet code. right click the sheet and click view code. paste the below macro into the code window. only works on the sheet that you paste the code into. Selecting outside the range A1:CP300 will not highlight cells(rows). you can adjust the range to suit. Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Dim r As Range Dim ac As Range...

Sort not sorting all rows
I'm using Excel 2000. have created a document, uploaded it to google docs and spreadsheets, exported it as a doc, converted it to a spreadsheet (excel) and uploaded it again to google docs. It's not a complicated file - no calculations or anything, just a simple log to enable us to collaborate on change requests and website faults. New requests are assigned a number incrementally one higher than the previous. So we need to sort on the Log number column to see what the last logged number was. However, it sorts most of the spreadsheet and leaves the same 5 rows unsorted at the...