sort by subtotal values

When I use the insert subtotals, I would like to sort by
those subtotals.  It is not sorting them properly.  What
do I need to do first before I tell it to sort.

Thanks so much
0
anonymous (74719)

If you have one level of subtotals, you can collapse the table, so only
the subtotals are visible. Then, select a cell in the column that you
want to sort, and click the A-Z or Z-A button on the toolbar.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

How to sort account list?

Sorting

Row names will not move with sort

sorts not sorting

Call value from table not form
I am probably overlooking something stupid here but, I need to pull a value from a table when a form is not open? Dim InternalEmail As String InternalEmail = Forms!frmCommitteeEmail!DMEmail this gives an error if the form frmCommitteeEmail is not already open. I am pretty sure that is the problem because if I add code to first open the form it works fine. Any help here will be appreciated. Thanks in advance Dave wrote: > I am probably overlooking something stupid here but, I need to pull a > value from a table when a form is not open? > > Dim InternalEmail As String > I...

import- number- sort?

Chart Axis Value
I am using a line chart, where the chart results are driven by a validation list. So when I choose a specific product, up come sales, forecast and ajusted forecast for the product. Seeing that we are not living in a perfect world, the acuals differs quite by a huge amount depending on the product. What I want to achieve is to set the Major Axis (Y Axis) value to 20 % or a fifth of the total value, as I want only 5 gridlines in my charts. I have linked my Chart Title a to a cell (Validation Cell, so chart title = product name), but I cant seem to ink the Y axis major value to a cell. Is thi...

sorting macro #3

line chart displays wrong values
Yesterday my chart wizard went crazy A simple chart, I've done them thousands of times Now when I select 2 series and try to plot a 2 line chart the first series plots fine and the second plots as the sum of the two series. I tried shutting down, restarting, typing the data manually into a new sheet, sending the data to a colleague -- the result is the same HELP! -- koche005 It sounds like you created a stacked line chart. To change it: Select the chart Choose Chart>Chart Type Select the Line chart type Select the Line chart sub-type (at the top left) Click OK koche005 wrote: &...

Sorting checking register

Passing a value from subform or main form to subform query
I am using MS ACCESS 2003 I have a main form and a subform that pulls up an existing case for the user to update the information already entered. The subform is designed and opens up in form view not in datasheet view. The subform knows which case to pull in based on the case number on the main form The textboxes on the main form are bound fields from a query. The user enters an ID which is how the main form query knows which record to pull and it works. The textboxes on the subform are bound with data from a different query (so I have a query for each form) The que...

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...

Merging Two Cells and Keeping the Values
I have two one cell that I am using Cell A. I am typing giftcard numbers in the cells as 6003860012345678. The giftcard = 16 digits. I need it to default and place 3 zero's at the beginning of each of the giftcard numbers like "0006003860012345678". The giftcard should equal 19 digits with the 34 zeros out in front. I tried merging them. Is there a way to do this? Sincerely, Raymond Have you tried using a custom format on the cell with nineteen zeros? "Raymond" wrote: > I have two one cell that I am using Cell A. I am typing giftcard numbers in >...

sorting issue
Hi, When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one column empty cells above the sort display first. How can this be prevented. I know when there is data in any of the other column but not on the column being sorted this will happen. Any thoughts? Pat Are you sure the cells are really empty? They don't contain spaces or even formulas that evaluate to "". (Even formulas converted to values that returned "")? Pat wrote: > > Hi, > > When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one > column em...

Sort not sorting all rows
I'm using Excel 2000. have created a document, uploaded it to google docs and spreadsheets, exported it as a doc, converted it to a spreadsheet (excel) and uploaded it again to google docs. It's not a complicated file - no calculations or anything, just a simple log to enable us to collaborate on change requests and website faults. New requests are assigned a number incrementally one higher than the previous. So we need to sort on the Log number column to see what the last logged number was. However, it sorts most of the spreadsheet and leaves the same 5 rows unsorted at the...

Extracting pixel values from a picture control (continued)
Does anyone see what the problem is with this code, and if my process makes any sense? // Local vars int nImageSizeX = 640; int nImageSizeY = 480; char cFilename[256] = {"C:/Test1.bmp"}; // Load the image HBITMAP hBitmap = NULL; hBitmap = (HBITMAP) LoadImage(NULL, cFilename, IMAGE_BITMAP, 0, 0, LR_LOADFROMFILE | LR_CREATEDIBSECTION | LR_DEFAULTSIZE); if (NULL == hBitmap) { exit(1); } // Set the bitmap to the picture control // m_picSource1 is a CStatic variable of the picture control on my dialog m_picDestination.SetBitmap(hBitmap); HDC hdc = (HD...

Sort date by day and not year
Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year. Ex: Would like to sort like list below: 3/02/1997 3/15/2002 3/21/1996 Not like this: 3/21/1996 3/02/1997 3/15/2002 Please help and thank you for your help. Kathy Hi one way: - add an additional helper column (lets ay B) - insert the following formula in B1 (if column A stores your list): =MONTH(A1) - copy this formula for all rows - sort with this helper column -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Kathy wrote: > Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year. > > Ex: > Would like to sort like list below: >...

Column charts
Is there a way of formatting a column by the value - eg green for >= 98%, red for <98%? Jon Peltier tell all at http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Bernster" <Bernster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D972C0D-4B24-4F18-B6D1-251D4C357D8D@microsoft.com... > Is there a way of formatting a column by the value - eg green for >= 98%, > red > for <98%? Hi, There are two possible questions here - 1. Can you f...

Sort and exclude certain words
Hi ... I work in a public library and frequently export lists of books from our online catalog to Excel, so that I can manipulate the data in various ways. My problem in sorting in Excel is this: Our library catalog excludes words like "The" "A" or "An" at the beginning of a title when sorting. Excel, however, does not. Is there any way I can sort on a field in Excel and have it ignore certain words at the beginning of a string? Thanks! -- jds217 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jds217's Profile: http://www.exc...

Not sorting as expected
I have a database some 10 columns wide and 1200 rows deep. When I sort by one particular column it sorts BLANKS before text meaning that the data appears at the bottom of the database although still in alphabetical order. I have the formatting set to GENERAL for the whole column and do want the blank cells. None of the other columns do this. I am totally perplexed as I thought Excel sorted blanks nearer the end of it's priority. I have tried formatting the column to TEXT and even NUMBER also but it still makes the data appear at the bottom of the table. This doesn't make any se...

sort without the sort button
Hi all. I have a table of strings that I have concatenated from several dro down lists. I now need to sort this data into a single column alphabetically and list all unique entries along with a percentage. I think I can do the listing unique entries etc. if I can just sort ou the problem I am having with sorting a column alphabetically. The problem is that I want to be able to use cell formulas to do th sorting as I want the sheet 'idiot proof'. The only user intervention want is for them to initially select the data they use from the dro down lists. I can do this using macro'...

Automatically Put a Value in a specific cell.
Here is what I have: Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If Not Application.Intersect(Range("S7:S37"), Target) Is Nothing Then Worksheets("Daily Log of Students Seen").Range("S38").Value = ActiveCell.Value End If End Sub But, this causes Cell S38 to equal the cell in the target range that is entered. I actually want something else to happen. Once I intercept a cell in the target range and change it, I want Cell S38 to take the value of the changed cell once I exit it. -- Thanks Shawn If you want S38 of the dail...