Size of Excel file keeps getting bigger

I have a fairly small Excel file (~300K), that I update
frequently. Mostly I am just replacing some text data, on
which a lot of calculations are done. The text is being
copied from a web page, so there is some HTML formatting
and graphics data associated that make it about 30K in size

The text being replaced is the same size as the new text,
but when I close the file the size of the file goes up 30K
or so. I can't figure out why it keeps increasing. The
data is actually replaced, in that the cells have been
overwritten.

Any ideas? Is it keeping the old data around somehow, even
though it doesn't show it? Are the old graphics being
stored somewhere and not being overwritten?

Thanks for any ideas.
0
anonymous (74719)

Sometimes you can extend the used range by accident.

If you hit ctrl-End, do you go where you would think the bottom right cell
should be--or is it further to the right and down more?

If yes, then Debra Dalgleish has some techniques for resetting this lastusedcell
at:

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Your assistance much appreciated, didn't know the "ctrl-
end" trick.

- Pete

0
anonymous (74719)

Page Size Sheet Size Not The Same
Hi - I'm having trouble with printing in Publisher 2007. I have a 5.5x8.5 page size and I want to print that size paper. I've tried to set the sheet to custom size in the printer setup, but Publisher still want a 5.5x8.5 Publisher size printing on a full 8.5x11 sheet. I don't get it. I never had this problem with the Publisher 2003 or anyother MS product including the other Office 2007 programs. Can anyone help clue me in? Even if I create a document as 5.5x8.5 size it will publish a 8.5x11 .pdf file. Please Help! Jerry The new Publisher page setup is not user friendly. ...

Mission Impossible
I've been given the project of comparing a current Excel Spreadsheet against a historical Spreadsheet. They both have the same Employee ID.( Or new ones added on the Current File ) My task is ( should I chose to accept - Mission Impossible ) Is to determine the following: * How many new records are added on the Current File * Identify any changes that occur on the either file This could possibly involves creating something called a - Changed File. I've used a program called ExelDiff, but it failed miserably , when the inform...

File level backup of transaction logs
I run a full backup of server drives before doing an Exchange online backup. The transaction log directory is selected but none of the logs are backed up. It appears that there is no attempt to back up the files. I do not use an open file agent but I would have thought that all but the most recent logs would not be in use anyway. This isn't causing any problems as the online backup commits and flushes successfully but was just wondering why this is happening?? On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:41:02 -0800, "Pete Kelly" <PeteKelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I run a f...

Does anyone have an SRS analysis tool in Excel?
I am looking for a free-ware shock response spectrum Excel application? If you have a suggestion, could you please respond? Thanks, Bill Waring ...

Screen Size
Dear All, I don't know if anyone can help but when I compose a message, the view of the message is huge! The font looks as though it's size 20 and it's driving me absoultely mad...... However, the emails in my sent / deleted files are normal size. Does anyone know why the view is so huge on my composing view and how I can get it back to normal? I've tried everything to no avail..... Many thanks! Sarah Grange, you wrote on Tue, 7 Oct 2008 02:05:00 -0700: > I don't know if anyone can help but when I compose a message, the view of > the message is huge! ...

Converting files for Excel
How do I convert *.wdb and *.mdb files and bring into excel? I have files from other people that made lists in access. In Excel there is no listing for these files. Any help? Open the access file and highlight the table you want to export t excel. go to File/Export In the Save type as: box click on the drop down and pick microsof excel In the save in: box click on the drop down and pick what excel file th table will be imported to and highlight. Click Save Hope this helps you. Larr -- keithl81 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- keithl816's ...

I just got a new system with Money 2003 preloaded and when attempting to open my backup file(on a floppy) from an earlier version of money all I get is a message that asks if I want to back up to floppy. If I click on "dont back up" all I get is the message "money is not properly installed. Please try set up again" Any idea what I might be doing wrong/not doing??? Help thanks Is it possible that you can reload Money from any disks supplied to you with the system? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-...

VC6++ and Excel
I write a program that can create a Excel file,But I don't know if it can be used in a PC whitout Excel installed If its possiable,what objects must be installed with may program,and should i register it to Windows registery? hi, I assume that you have used Excel's automation objects to create the xls file. If that is the case, then you cannot run your program if excel is not installed. I don't know what are the DLLs that are required to do it seperately. hth gangadhar cheng wrote: > I write a program that can create a Excel file,But I don't know if it can be used i...

Error
Any help appreciated I suspect this has something to do with either permissions and/or excel setting but ... HTML (or CSV) file is saved to network share Attempt to open this file using Excel ( 2000 or XP ) and get information (i) error message "The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding." If file is saved to local drive, there is no problem opening this file from within Excel How can we open this file direct from Excel? ...

Integration Manager
I am trying to create an integration from an Excel file. I was able to use the ODBC options that will use the Excel file. I saw in another thread where I have to name the range? So I named the whole worksheet as a range but the Query BUulder says too many fields. So I named the range of data, and now nothing shows up to select in the query builder. I cannot find any help with this in the manuals. thanks Here are the steps I follow: 1.. Create the Excel file. Highlight the columns on the worksheet and give them a name in the Name Box (the box right above cell A1). This name will be ...

Mailbox size
Hi, for some time i noticde that my live mail doesn't receive new messages unless i delete some old messages. i would leik to know if ther eis a maximum mailbox size in Live Mail. thank you. The mail box capacity is controlled by your isp. Check your account in the web interface to ensure you have not maxed out = your isp limit for your account If your account in WLM and a prior email client is/was configured to = never delete from the server, you may have over an extended=20 period of time reached your limit -- ....winston ms-mvp mail "Mirogzy" wrote...

speed up mailbox size increases
we have an AD structure with a NLB EXCH 2003 FE and a clustered 2003 BE. We have a developed application that manages mailboxes, assigns the mailbox quota, and manages the email addresses. If a user asks for a larger mailbox quota, we change it within the application, and the application immediately changes it in AD. Unfortunately it seems like quite a lengthy process between when AD knows about the change and the Exchange server starts to act on the new quota amount. Is there a way I can tweak either AD or Exchange so that the changes occur on a more regular basis. Typically it tak...

Inventory using excel
I am using an excel spredsheet to keep inventory of parts, I have: A-item B-min level C-items used D-items recvd E-items on hand 1 2 abc 5 1 0 4 3 def 1 0 1 2 I am using formula : E2=B2-C2+D2 However while this work for first time, when i try and input new used item i have to manually add new used to exiting used to get right total for items on hand. I will be typing new data in c2 or d2 as used or recvd and would like e2 to keep udated totals...

Outlook Identity Files Changing PCs
How do you copy the old PCs identity files to the new one? Just copying doesn't work at all. If you're really talking about Outlook (which doesn't use "identities"), then look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm If you're talking about Outlook Express, which is not supported in this forum, you can find the help you need at this OE website: http://insideOE.tomsterdam.com -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- pleas...

Excel 2003 Trashes Imported Dates
My local date in Windows/Reional & Language options is DD/MM/YYYY So how come Excel 2003 trashes dates imported from MYOB Accounting for the 1st to the 12th of each month, and treats my MYOB DD/MM/YYYY dates as if they were MM/DD/YYYY ?? Can someone get the folks (clowns ?) at MS to FIX this problem A.S.A.P. please ?? Is there a work-around / script to fix this ? Am getting thoroughly sick of having to manually fix the dates in ledger reports exported to Excel 2003. (This problem doesn't occur in Excel 2000) kyeoward@hotmail.com Alice Springs NT Australia 27/04/2005 On Wed, 2...

How do I increase font size in the reading pane in Outlook 2007?
Previous versions had a command button to cycle through font sizes tiny > small > normal > big > tiny > ... The nearest I can get in Outlook 2007 is to open the received email in edit mode and then select all and then choose a font size via a font dialog. Silicon.Com sends a weekly newsletter out in HTML using a very small font, which I need to enlarge for comfortable reading. Surely I've missed a very simple command button, but searching local and on-line help for "increase font size" etc. brings no help. ...

Where to ask- running Excel from .NET?
Hi all, I have been over at the MSDN forums and someone pointed me here. I am trying to create an instance of Excel from within .NET so I can populate it with some data and save it. All works fine. However, after I tell excel to quit (which it appears to do), if I go into task manager, I can see it is still running. And if I do the process again, I get 2 copies of Excel in task manager. This is with Excel 2007 and Win XP. I have tried a bunch of things, none of which have worked. One possibility is that I work in at a defense contractor and it might be that they ha...

Splitting a file
I have a large file I need to split into multiple documents. After searching online I found some code which will split a document into single pages. However I need to ONLY split where there is a manual page break (creating variable length documents), not at every page. If anyone can help this absolute beginner by pointing me to directions for splitting at page breaks I would greatly appreciate it. Ideally I would also like to create the new file names based on the first line of each new document. After splitting there will be about 200 documents that I can rename manually if ...

How can I display a cell range in a text box in excel?
I want to display the contents of a cell range in a text box. I know how to put contents from one cell in a text box but I need to put the contents of 24 cells in my text box. Or how can I change the length and height of cells below other cells without changing the other cells length and height. Is there a way to put a line to freeze panes to change the length and height of cells below the line? Would the '&' work for this problem. eg if A1 = "Pat" and B1 = "Hughes" then the formula A1&B1 would return PatHughes, formula A1&" "&...

Move Hotmail PST file
Hi there, On my quest to free some space on my C:\ drive I came with the idea to move my gigs sized hotmail psf file away to my d: drive. Digging around I found that moving the hotmail pst file is not supported on outlook 2007, not at least using the data file mgmt options as on earlier versions. But hey, dispite not being supported, yet, I found a simply way to do it: 1. Close your outlook; 2. Move the pst file (on vista at: C:\Users\?????\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook) to wherever you want; 3. Go back to the original pst file location and create a hardling using mklink, eg: mkl...

Opening files at Excel startup
I have set Excel to go to a directory file containing a mix of excel and quatro pro files, and folders with excel and quatro pro files in them. Suddenly, every time I startup excel, it attempts to open all of the "loose" excel and quatro pro files in the directory. This forces me to have to wade through a list of error messages regarding incompatible formats, etc. This started after I attempted to translate a quatro pro file into excel and was asked to insert my Office XP CD as I was attempting to use a feature that was not yet on my machine. Ever since, I have had this problem. ...

Email an Excel file (automatically) or scheduled
I need to be able to send an automated email everyday to one address, with an Excel file as an attachment. I do not want to have to rely on Outlook, it's installed on our computers, however we use Lotus Notes (with an intranet) to send email. Are there any tools that can do this? JO Hi wojo Try the CDO option http://www.rondebruin.nl/cdo.htm Use Ontime to run the macro http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "wojo" <wojo36@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1121001336.696767.260810@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com.....

Backup file size
I run a script to backup my databases. The critical lines of code are: OSQL -U sa -P password -S ServerName -Q "BACKUP DATABASE StoreOps TO DISK = 'C:\RMS Backup\DailyBackup1.bck' WITH FORMAT, STATS And a second line just like the first for database HQ and filename DailyHQBackup.bck The files generated are 107MB (Store Ops) and 196MB (HQ). Recently I executed a 'no going back' query so I manually backed up my database. I don't normally check the file size when I do this sort ofthing, but last night my backup media (DVD-RW) ran out of space... The HQ Admin-ge...

Excel file very large in size?
I have made excel workbook with 10 sheets. It is simple and has one sheet with graph, and also 4 pictures of size 300Kb. Why excel file is over 3100 Kb in size, or this is ok? Thanks in advance Marc Excel is noted for over-estimating the actual used range on a sheet. See Debra Dalgleish's site for info and instructions for resetting. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:37:45 +0200, "Marc" <marc5@hotmail.com> wrote: >I have made excel workbook with 10 sheets. It is simple and has one sheet >with gra...

What file type can publisher open and edit?
Hello Everyone, I'm using MS Publisher 2007 and would like to know what other type of files it can use and edit other than *.pub files? If it can only use *.pub files, how can a person convert a *.PDF file to a *.Pub file? what other file types can be converted to a *.Pub file? Thanks to all who reply, Ismael By the way I'm using MS Publisher 2007 (12.0.6527.5000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6529.5000) "Ismael" wrote: > Hello Everyone, > > I'm using MS Publisher 2007 and would like to know what other type of files > it can use and edit other ...