Simple? Reference Question

Can I reference a value in a spreadsheet that is not open?

I have 2 spreadsheets, 1 for the totals- and 1 for the values.  I want the
total spreadsheet to update when the value spreadsheet is updated.  Do I need
a macro to open the spreadsheet, grab the values and pull them into the total
spreadsheet, and close the values?

Thanks,
Jesse
0
J (145)

No need for a macro- just open both files at once.  Let's call them
Source.xls and Target.xls: Target is the file your working on, and
Source is the one that holds the data to be referenced.  With both
files open, start the formula in Target.xls, and then when you need to
reference the data in Source.xls, just click on the cell in Source.xls.
 The formula will look a little unusual, just fyi.

The next time you open Target.xls (after you reference the cell in
Source.xls), you'll get a message asking if you want to update those
values.

If I can suggest, read up on this topic in Help- there are a number of
pitfalls involved if you rename files, for instance.

0
CycleZen (674)

what is the difference between pointer and reference
Hello, I did use pointers and references in my code frequently as I am sure a lot of you doing everyday. Today I was thinking: what is the difference between them? Which one is more acceptable? For example look at the following code: class class1 { int m_adata; public: int afunction(int anotherdata) { m_adata=anotherdata; } } void function1( class1 &aclass) { aclass.afunction(2); } void function2(class1 *aclass) { aclass->afunction(2); } main() { class1 aclass; function1(aclass); function2(&aclass);...

Two critical questions.
Hi, I have two questions for RMS. 1. As you guys know, to use EDC feature, Bank information needs to be set up correctly in Administrator program. One question that I have is where this EDC information is stored. When I looked at the RMS database, I couldn't find any table that has EDC information. Am I missing some table?....I would like to know where this EDC information is stored for later retrival... 2. In QSRules, there is VitalClass. It seems that VitalClass should be used for credit card tranaction. There is Authorize method, however, when I invoke this method for credit ca...

Simple graph
I have a chart with zip codes and a population rate. ZIP RATE 80001 2.34 80002 1.23 80003 1.23 I want to make a chart that has the rate on the x axis and the number of times that rate occurs on the y axis. | | | * | | * |_________________________________ | | 1.23 2.34 Thank you. I will assume the ZIP and RATE stuff is in A1:B200 (labels in row 1) Label in G1 to read RATE (but leave it empty for now), label in H2 to read COUNT Make a list of rates in G2:G20 (say) In H2 =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$200,G2) Copy down the row Select H1:G20 and make a...

Mell Install Question
We have MELL Installed on a Web Server. It is working fine and we have several modules up and running and will be adding more and more.. When we first installed eLearning, we said 'NO' to the SQL Server peice of the install. Now we'de like to have it log to SQL Server but am not sure how to go about doing this. reun the install? uninstall and reinstall?? I know there must be a way to implement SQL Server without having to reinstall the whole thing !!!! Can anyone help? ...

Mass Relative to Absolute Reference Change
Is there an easy way to do a mass change to a group of 500 cells tha currently have relative references (i.e. =Sheet1!A1) making the absolute references (i.e. =Sheet1!A2) without going into each cel individually? Thanks, Joh -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi! You've lost me. The absolute reference corresponding to Sheet1!A would, in my book, be Sheet1!$A$1. Is this what you want or are you, as your post suggests, wanting t move them down a row? If the former, judicious use of find (e.g. !A and replace with !$A an similar devices) can work wonders. Al -- Message po...

Exchange question #2
I have just taken over a medium size office, running Exchange 6.5 on Small Business Server 2003, clients run Outlook 2003. My immediate problem is I have two users who cannot send email to several specific addresses outside the company. Everyone else can send to these addresses. When these two people send email to the outside addresses, they immediately get an email back stating that the address doesn't exist or something to that effect. It appears to be bounced right back from the server. Does anyone have an idea here? Thanks in advance. Can you post the NDR? -- Bharat Sune...

Drop down. *EASY* question!
BlankHiya everyone :) I was just wondering if anybody could explain something reeeeally easy for me? In Excel, I would like a two drop-down features in my columns of my spreadsheet. The first one (columnE) with the options 'yes' or 'no'. The second one (columnD) with a list of names, eg. Anthony Peter Mark Jonathan Thankyou for ANY help you can give me! -- @---}-- Laura..... :) Liverpool, England "Do you know where you're going to?" Data>Validation, choose a type of list, and then just type the values comma separated. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from...

Experts Question
Hi. I'm writing a multi tool application, something like outlook. I have an MDI application of course. Inside the MDI the user may choose any of few Mini tools (something like calendar,contacts,mail, tasks etc). A mini tool may be an MDI - e.g. one of my mini tool is a resources editor, which means that the user may first choose the "Resource Editor" mini tool, and open/create many windows to edit. Another mini tool will be "Scripts Editor", which the user may choose to open many scripts views. My problem is how to implement the switching between mini tools, I wanna pu...

Hyperlink via indirect cell reference

Simple help with implementing Outlook-like GUI
Hi All. I am an experienced unix programmer who sometimes has to do something in the windows world, and always has newbie-questions. Basically I want to write an application program that looks like outlook in that it has nice icons down the left hand side that choose the content of the main area in the right hand side. So I started the MFC App wizard, and got me a SDI program with a CLeftFrame (CTreeView) and a CMainFrame (CFrameWnd). Then I prepared the following snippet of code to draw the buttons: // Create a pushbutton CBitmapButton* pmyButton; pmyButton = new CB...

Simple Simple Simple
Just started Excel (again) and need to make an easy speadsheet fo calculating square inches. Column A: Height Column B: Legnth Column C: Total Tags per 16 x 24 Column D: Cost per tag Figures I know: each sheet cost me $9.98. each sheet is 16 x 24 inches What I want to do is enter the Height, enter the Length and have th total (sum) be entered into columns C and D. I can't believe I forgot how to enter formulas. Any help will b appreciated. Thank you, Crai -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Craig, One Way, might be better ways but this'll work: List the colou...

How do I refer to a non-empty row range in Excel
How do I refer a row range, say C1:Cx where x is the last non-empty row in the C column, but x may change from time to time. Thanks. Please reply to sariowan@ucsd.edu. Henry Take a look here: http://cpearson.com/excel/named.htm#Dynamic In article <363838CE-A952-4E4F-9D92-842CE327CAE6@microsoft.com>, Henry San Diego <Henry San Diego@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I refer a row range, say C1:Cx where x is the last non-empty row in > the C column, but x may change from time to time. ...

xml/rid question
I am using Visual Studio 2003/C# I created a new xml schema/xsd file (Project Create new item->Dataset) I then added Elements to the schema using the designer From the toolbox I then created an instance of my dataset. I then dropped a grid (Infragistics UltraWebGrid) onto my form, and bound the grid to my dataset. At runtime, I configure the columns of the grid, get some records from the Employee database (SQL Server2k), and add some rows to the grid. The user then enters some data into various cells of the grid. I am now ready to update the database with the contents of the grid. What ...

Reference cell formats + content

Install question
Hello, can I have SQL Server 2008 Express with advanced services with SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Evaluation installed on the same machine ? Thank you Gilles On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 07:49:10 -0700 (PDT), Gilles Koffmann <gilles.koffmann@gmail.com> wrote: >Hello, > >can I have SQL Server 2008 Express with advanced services >with SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Evaluation installed on the same >machine ? > >Thank you >Gilles Hi Giles You should be able to do this, have you tried and failed? John ...

Simple hack to get $500 to your home at http://uknews.tk Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side below search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque.please dont tell to anyone. ...

Simple Query Wizard hangs
I am using Access 2003 When I initiate the "Simple Query Wizard", I am presented with the first screen - "What fields do you want in your query" When I click on the pulldown list to select a table, I get the following message: "The expression On Get Focus you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: the text you entered isn't an item in the list * the expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure]. * There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro&q...

Xch2k (SB edition) LOG and IFS question
Dear, Even I did the full backup with the Exchange server, the LOG and IFS extension file still in the MDBDATA folder. How to purch? Thanks!! -david I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding the IFS extension file. Please explain. As far as your full backup, how did you perform the backup? It must be done using an exchange-aware backup program (such as NTbackup run from a computer with minimum the Exchange management tools installed). It must also be a full *online* backup, with all Exchange services running and all databases mounted. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP M...

Excel 2007 formula, multiple reference range
Help. I am collating data from 6 facilities. I have one worksheet with 7 pages. The first is a summary of all data. The other 6 have individual data for each facility. On the summary page, I need a total number, pulled from all 6 facilities. On the facility detail pages, I have summed the occurrences in that facility. Now, I need a formula that will let me get a grand total. For example: pg 1 B5 needs to have the total from: pg2 K5:K100 if J5:J100 = pg1A5 plus pg3 K5:K100 if J5:J100 = pg1A5 plus pg4 K5:K100 if J5:J100 = pg1A5 plus pg5 SAA plus pg 6 SAA plus pg 7 SAA The reason w...

Several Outlook Questions
I have Outlook 2003 with Service Pack 3 installed on my desktop and laptop. First, I would like to syncronize my contacts and all my mail folders: Inbox, Sent, etc. on both computers so that I would have that information on both computers. Second, I would like to store all of my Outlook data--contacts, folders, etc on my drive C: so that when I reconfigure my computer I don't have to backup and restore this data which is such a hassle. Can I do this and how? 1) http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.asp 2) By default the outlook data file is on your C: (Windows drive) Backup, wha...

I Need a Simple Sales Software
Hello, I am looking for software to keep track of my prospects, customers, and the notes of the sales process. I spend about one hour a day on sales and marketing, so I prefer a simple and inexpensive software. Maximizer, Outlook, Act, and Goldmine seem made for the full-time professional salesperson. Please let me know if what I am looking for exists. Best Regards, T.I. ...

circular error w/o cell reference
I am getting a very annoying circular error msg but the cell reference is not showing up at the bottom of the screen. I have tried both enabling and disabling the Iteration function but it does not make a difference. I do see "table" references in the bottom for just a second like "table 3" which then become "Ready" - is that a clue to help me find the infringing cell? Many thanks! Maybe Stephen Bullen's utility will help find that circular reference. http://www.oaltd.co.uk/Excel/Default.htm Look for FindCirc.zip Remote Todd wrote: > > I am ...

How can i change Series references?
Sub Macro8() ' ' Macro8 Macro ' Macro does not change Series references TitleName = "Stripper Well Survey - " Windows("StripperWellsMod.xls").Activate Sheets("Charts").Select Range("A1").Select SheetColumn = 1 ChartNum = 1 ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate Sheets("#of wells").Select RowLoc = LTrim(Str$(43 + ChartNum)) NameLoc = "B" + RowLoc 'eg: B44 Range(NameLoc).Select 'state name, eg: ALABAMA CTitle = TitleName + ActiveCell.Value Sheets(...

Make it more simple or intuitive to do simple things
I appreciate the fact that applications are becoming more versatile and able to do things that we hardly thought possible in the past but I feel that in this added complexity you are losing sight of the need to do simple things easily without resorting to trial and error or consulting "help" which often anyhow doesn't lead one straight to the solution! An example is how to produce a chart with a series of months i.e Jan Feb Mar etc appearing on the X axis. This is no doubt something that resulted naturally in the first versions of Excel charts or in a competitor's ea...

Curious Database Query Question
When creating a "New Database Query" from another Excel workbook, when you get to the "Select Workbook" dialog, there is a small checkbox labelled "Read Only". According to the help file, it has this to say: "To prohibit updates to this file, select the Read Only check box." I don't understand why this is an issue. In my understanding, database query is a one-way transfer of data from the external source to your excel workbook...if you edit the data in your workbook, that *doesn't* change the data back in the external source...right? Am I wr...