Show file location in title bar? - 85268

Is there a way to make Excel or Word show the location of a file in the title
bar. Right now, it just shows the name of the file. I was thinking in 2003,
it showed the file location, or perhaps there was an option to show it? I
can't find the same thing in 2007 and it would be extremely helpful to have
it! I use template files with the same name (for easy searching) but save in
different client folders, which is why I want it to display the full path.
Otherwise, I wouldn't care.

Thanks!!

Add "Document Location" to the QAT. You'll find it in the "Commands not
in the ribbon"

SirMatthew wrote:
> Is there a way to make Excel or Word show the location of a file in the title
> bar. Right now, it just shows the name of the file. I was thinking in 2003,
> it showed the file location, or perhaps there was an option to show it? I
> can't find the same thing in 2007 and it would be extremely helpful to have
> it! I use template files with the same name (for easy searching) but save in
> different client folders, which is why I want it to display the full path.
> Otherwise, I wouldn't care.
>
> Thanks!!

0
Bob
12/10/2009 8:45:00 PM
I hoped I was wrong.

I find out I was for 2007..............can't find anything like that in 2003
and earlier however.

Thanks Bob

Gord

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:45:00 -0600, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Add "Document Location" to the QAT. You'll find it in the "Commands not
>in the ribbon"
>
>SirMatthew wrote:
>> Is there a way to make Excel or Word show the location of a file in the title
>> bar. Right now, it just shows the name of the file. I was thinking in 2003,
>> it showed the file location, or perhaps there was an option to show it? I
>> can't find the same thing in 2007 and it would be extremely helpful to have
>> it! I use template files with the same name (for easy searching) but save in
>> different client folders, which is why I want it to display the full path.
>> Otherwise, I wouldn't care.
>>
>> Thanks!!

0
Gord
12/11/2009 5:16:40 PM
I don't have 2003 any more, but here is a thread that Bob Philips
answered in for earlier versions.
http://www.excelforum.com/excel-general/537427-full-path-name-in-title-bar.html

Gord Dibben wrote:

> I hoped I was wrong.
>
> I find out I was for 2007..............can't find anything like that in 2003
> and earlier however.
>
> Thanks Bob
>

> Gord
>
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:45:00 -0600, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Add "Document Location" to the QAT. You'll find it in the "Commands not
>>in the ribbon"
>>
>>SirMatthew wrote:
>>
>>>Is there a way to make Excel or Word show the location of a file in the title
>>>bar. Right now, it just shows the name of the file. I was thinking in 2003,
>>>it showed the file location, or perhaps there was an option to show it? I
>>>can't find the same thing in 2007 and it would be extremely helpful to have
>>>it! I use template files with the same name (for easy searching) but save in
>>>different client folders, which is why I want it to display the full path.
>>>Otherwise, I wouldn't care.
>>>
>>>Thanks!!

0
Bob
12/11/2009 6:26:28 PM
Bob P's method was to use VBA similar to what I posted.

Although his does it for all workbooks from Personal.xls

Gord

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 12:26:28 -0600, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I don't have 2003 any more, but here is a thread that Bob Philips
>answered in for earlier versions.
>http://www.excelforum.com/excel-general/537427-full-path-name-in-title-bar.html
>

>Gord Dibben wrote:
>
>> I hoped I was wrong.
>>
>> I find out I was for 2007..............can't find anything like that in 2003
>> and earlier however.
>>
>> Thanks Bob
>>

>> Gord
>>
>> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:45:00 -0600, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Add "Document Location" to the QAT. You'll find it in the "Commands not
>>>in the ribbon"

0
Gord
12/12/2009 12:30:03 AM
Yes, I figured if that "code" was out there, then 2003 didn't have that
"feature".

Gord Dibben wrote:

> Bob P's method was to use VBA similar to what I posted.
>
> Although his does it for all workbooks from Personal.xls
>

> Gord
>
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 12:26:28 -0600, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I don't have 2003 any more, but here is a thread that Bob Philips
>>answered in for earlier versions.
>>http://www.excelforum.com/excel-general/537427-full-path-name-in-title-bar.html
>>

>>Gord Dibben wrote:
>>

>>>I hoped I was wrong.
>>>
>>>I find out I was for 2007..............can't find anything like that in 2003
>>>and earlier however.
>>>
>>>Thanks Bob
>>>

>>>Gord

0
Bob

restore calendar from pst file
I unfortunately backed up the Calendar folder as a .pst file and now when I try to import it back to Calendar I cannot - error message is that it is incorrect format. It needs to be a .ics file - what can I do to restore the data to my Outlook Calendar? ...

Outlook shows offline during dial up
Having a problem with outlook 2002. Over the WAN everything works fine. Dial up and connect to the network (VPN) internet work fine. Outlook will sync up however, a red x shows up in the bottom right hand corner. Outlook shows offline, I can send and receive but must hit send and receive. I have reloaded the computer from scratch and still have the same problem. Could it be a Excange setting? Any Ideas? Thanks for the help, If you hit File | Connect to Exchange Server what happens? -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize ...

Problems with Printing Titles
Hi Everybody I have problem with printing titles(file<print preview<pag setup<sheet) It's just inactive when i click on it :confused: I would appreciate if anybody can help me Thanx in advanc -- Fukill ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Fukilla's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1535 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26979 Hi any chance you have grouped some sheets (e.g. is the text [grouped} shown in the caption of your Excel application) -- Regards Fran...

How to recover data from OL2003 OST file when Exchange Server is no longer available
Hello After Exchange Server (in Windows Small Business Server 2003) is no longer available, I still have an OST file (created in OL 2003), just under 2 GB in size. Can one recover the data from this OST file? Thanks, David Yes, you can get the data out of it. Do you still have the exchange profile or very recently deleted it? if so, it's a matter of moving the stuff to a pst. If not, you need a tool - see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ansi-to-unicode.asp and http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.asp for tools that you can use. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] O...

After installing SP2 for office 2007 can't open some excel files
I upgrade from office 2003 to 2007 and had no problem all files would open some needing to be converted but everything was great. Once i installed SP2 excel files that user's download from a site don't open anymore. They open fine for user that are still on SP1. There was a similiar issue with publisher and a fix was created. Is there going to be a hotfix for Excel also? Has anyone else seen this issue? ...

analytical accounting lookups should only show valid codes
When entering AA transaction distributions, the code lookup window should only show valid code combinations. It's not intuitive for the user to have to select a code and get an error message to discover which codes are valid. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the mess...

Files for printing
I am putting together a booklet which is going to be printed at a commercial printers. The printer doesn't know Publisher but said it will be fine if I save it to a pdf and save all images to cmyk format. My question is, do I need to save all the jpg's etc. to cmyk format and put them back in - or can I simply save the file in the print options to 'output composite cmyk'? This is a regular 40 page booket that I am getting printed so I want to make my life as easy as possible! Many thanks Sorry - forgot to mention - using Publisher 2003 "ChrisB" <chis@w...

Format of linked graphics file
I have designed a report to link to graphics files. Somewhere along the line I read that .wmf or .emf files are best suited to the purpose. I think that was in Access Help, but I can't find it now. Anyhow, is there a reason for choosing one graphics file format over another for this purpose? The files are images of handwritten signatures, which means the resolution requirements are not as high as they would be for something like photos, in case that matters in selecting the format. ...

Information Stores show dismounted yet mail is still flowing...
Background: Windows AD Mixed moded. Exchange 2003 installed on to a 2 node Microsoft cluster. 1 Front End server...connecting to the primary cluster node. Windows 2003 Standard on, FE Windows 2003 Enterprise Server on BEs (<---cluster) no service packs on either. Exchange has SP1 installed on both nodes and the FE. There are still Exchange 5.5 servers in the environment although they are not being used. The Issue: .....the information stores and public folders all show that they are dismounted...yet email is still flowing into and out of the server without any issues. I just...

Show Window
I am currently developing a MFC SDI application. I want to integrate a tray icon with it. When the application is minimized it hides by ShowWindow(SW_HIDE) and then when double clicked on tray icon shown by ShowWindow(SW_SHOWNORMAL). But the problem is if some other application is activated after my application is minimized, ShowWindow shows it but it's behind some screen. I have tried with SetFocus didn't work. Please help me to solve this problem. Thank you. Varuna Try BringWindowToTop. ---- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com In addition to Ajay's idea you can also use SetFor...

Storing e-mail while the Exchange Server is moved to a new location
Hi everyone. We will be moving our office to a new location in a few weeks. We have one Exchange Server behind the firewall and two anti-spam servers at the perimeter. The anti-spam servers have registered MX records and the Exchange Server does not. Mail is received externally by the anti-spam servers and forwarded internally to the Exchange Server. Our anti-spam servers and Exchange Server will all be moved at the same time so for a while we will not be able to receive e-mail. There are a few companies out there that have store and forward SMTP servers that can capture e-mail while o...

backing up email folders and files
I am not using exchange but I would like to backup my users email folders. Currently we are using outlook and outlookexpress I was just wondering what the best way to do this is. I was thinking of running a script to copy the .dbx or .pst files but that could take a while. Is it possible to do this once a user has logged of say at 12:00am? or any other better way Are the machines left on at night for this? You can create a scheduled task then with the script below. The script even checks whether or not Outlook is closed and if not closes it; http://www.howto-outlook.com/downloads/Backup%...

reminder still shows up
when I run Outlook.exe /cleanreminders it simply opens Outlook, I am running Vista "Toppro" <Toppro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AE8DBF7-6BE3-454A-82F9-5A040566026C@microsoft.com... > when I run Outlook.exe /cleanreminders it simply opens Outlook, I am > running > Vista Outlook version? The Windows version isn't as important and that of Outlook. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Using ajax call to fetch multiple results from multiple queries and showing them 1 by 1 as the results comes.
Hello, I've 20 labels in a 2x10 table on a page. for each label, data comes by individual queries. (total 20 queries for the page.) and it takes about 30-40 seconds for the page to load, and it's not comfortable for the user to see blank page. I want that each cell will show loading.gif images. As and when data comes from query, the images should go visible=false, and the label should display the values one by one. How do I do this task using ajax? Some ASP.NET code example will be helpful for me, as I'm a kind of beginner. Thanks ...

How do I convert cab file to open an Family Budget Excel Template?
The file dowloads as a .cab file. When I try and open it, it's not in a recognized format. How can I download the correct format. Hardly an excel question From where do you download an excel template as a cab file? Try winzip, I believe they have an option to open some cab files Regards, Peo Sjoblom "sweetner32" wrote: > The file dowloads as a .cab file. When I try and open it, it's not in a > recognized > format. How can I download the correct format. ...

importing or opening .dbx files
some time ago, before installing xp on my computer, i backed up all of my mail history from outlook express onto a cd. i'm now trying to move the folders back into outlook. the files all have a .dbx extension but i haven't figured out how to get them into the appropriate folders in outlook. for instance, on the cd is the file: deleted items.dbx and i would like to get it into deleted items folder in outlook. thanks for looking I also want to know how to import and open .dbx files because I am switching computers. Thanks in advance! Try posting this in an Outlook Express ...

Import QIF file Money 2006
In the past I always imported OFX files from my bank. They have had problems with OFX and recommended downloading QIF (long format mm-dd-yyyy) files. this works fine, however the same transactions that I have already reconciled with Money keep getting imported. When I downloaded OFX only new transactions that were not reconciled with Money showed up to be accepted. Now (using a QIF file) all transactions are imported and I have to accept up to fifty transactions that were previously already marked cleared or reconciled after balancing the account. Is there a fix for this problem? ...

How to tell odbc datasource name for existing Excel file
I have an Excel file that connects to an Access database through an odbc connection on the user's machine. A new user is trying to run this file and I need to set up an odbc datasource on his machine. The problem is that I don't know what the excel file is expecting the name of the datasource to be. I get the standard "Data source name not found and no default driver specified" when I try to refresh the report data. Can I get the Excel file to tell me what the name of the datasource is? Thanks, Walter Walt, I have the same problem. Were you able to find a solu...

where is my personal micro file
I have a new computer. where is my personal micro file hiding in the old? I want to transfer to the new one. Thanks If you are talking about Excel and personal.xls, search for it using personal.xls Of course you must have created it in the first place, it's usually in the xlstart folder Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Tian" wrote: > I have a new computer. where is my personal micro file hiding in the old? I > want to transfer to the new one. Thanks Tian Most likely in the XLSTART folder. Do a search for XLSTART on old computer. There may(will) be more than one. Fin...

Results show as a minus. WHY?
I have an application that was developed by another developer using VB.net which reside in a SQL table. I need to use some of the data from this table, however the data shows as -0.5 or - 0.99 or -1.70 etc in my Access tables. How can I get those numbers to show as a percentage with only one decimal point to the left? Example: 3.6% or 31.4 %. Any help would be greatly appreciated. No matter what I do it shows that dang "-" at the beginning. You can use the Abs function to strip off the negative Abs([YourTable].[YourField]) And you can format that as percentage either using th...

Plublisher files cannot be read from CD
From my Sony VAIO and Windows XP a Publisher file that a burn to a CD cannot be read by the Sony or my older Micron with Office 2000. All other files on the CD can be read by both machines. Publisher files I burn on the old machine with Nero CD burn software works well on both machines. Do I need to make some adjustment before burning Publisher files on the Sony with XP? A lot of holes are in this post. Are you saying that you cannot copy the file off the CD onto the PC? Or are you saying that you can't open the file in Publisher off the CD? (don't know why you would do the la...

show comments when cell is highlighted Vs when cursor runs over? #2
How do you make the comments appear when the cell is highlighted opposed to when the mouse cursor runs over the cell? You can press Shift/F2, or Insert/Edit Comment. If you wanted to see it "automatically", when you select the cell, you'd need a macro, but I don't think this is what you're asking. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Don" wrote: > How do you make the comments appear when the cell is highlighted opposed to > when the mouse cursor runs over the cell? To at least Excel 2000, if you have the Tools, Options, Comment Indicator Only you will see the co...

OB10 invoice files
Is anyone using OB10 to send invoices to customers? They need a "structured data file" for the invoice files we send and they say what we are sending changes each time ( the structure) using the standard GP print to file - whether it be - tab delimited, comma delimited or text file . Any help will be appreciated PB Saving the standard GP Invoice report will not do what you want. Although I have never done it, I suppose it might be possible to achieve what you want be modifying the standard report. However, I'd much rather create an XML file by some other means - there...

Comments not showing
When a SharePoint workflow is edited and a comment is added. The comment does not display in the workflow status screen under workflow history. It shows as follows: Task assigned to Andre Wessels was completed by System Account. Comments: Instead of: Task assigned to Andre Wessels was completed by System Account. Comments: Please update to the new company logo. This happens for all standard SharePoint workflows (Approval, Collect Feedback). Any custom workflows does show the comment. The comment field is update in the task item. It just does not show. There is no error in t...