show comments when cell is highlighted Vs when cursor runs over? #2

How do you make the comments appear when the cell is highlighted opposed to
when the mouse cursor runs over the cell?
0
Don4849 (203)

You can press Shift/F2, or Insert/Edit Comment. If you wanted to see it
"automatically", when you select the cell, you'd need a macro, but I don't
think this is what you're asking.
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"Don" wrote:

> How do you make the comments appear when the cell is highlighted opposed to
> when the mouse cursor runs over the cell?
To at least  Excel 2000, if you have the Tools, Options, Comment Indicator Only
you will see the comment if you hover over the cell with the mouse.   You will not
see the comment if you arrow key into the cell to select the cell.

I think some of this behavior was changed in Excel 2003 so that you have
to select the cell.  .   In any case the difference
between having the comment show as you hover as opposed to having
to select the cell is not something you can override.

Along the lines of editing the comment to see it,   you can use a right click
(context menu) to edit the cell comment, which is probably easier since you
probably already would be using the mouse.
---
HTH,

"Bob Umlas, Excel MVP" <BobUmlasExcelMVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You can press Shift/F2, or Insert/Edit Comment. If you wanted to see it
> "automatically", when you select the cell, you'd need a macro, but I don't
> think this is what you're asking.
> Bob Umlas
> Excel MVP
>
> "Don" wrote:
>
> > How do you make the comments appear when the cell is highlighted opposed to
> > when the mouse cursor runs over the cell?

0
dmcritchie (2586)
4/30/2005 12:38:06 PM
Instead of a comment, you can use a data validation input message. There
are instructions in Excel's Help, and here:

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Converting money file #2
I have installed GnuCash. Can I use Microsoft Money data with it? Ask GnuCash? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For unofficial FAQs see http://money.mvps.org/ or http://umpmfaq.info/ I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "abc" <abc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B649AC52-FEDE-4B71-8E69-23299B71BB89@microsoft.com... >I have installed GnuCash. Can I use Microsoft Money data with it? GnuCash imports QIF. Money exports QIF. Assuming GnuCash does sane things with the iimports, that'd be better than nothi...

SOAP Server Application Faulted 80040217The specified object was not found.D:\crm\Build\3297\src\platform\include\OMCommon\entity.inl1542 Source: System.Web.Services #2
I get this exception when I execute this code to retreive a CRM contact. Any ideas as to what the proxy class is looking for that it cannot find. I do not have the directory structure the erro message calls for. Exception: SOAP Server Application Faulted 80040217The specified object was not found.D:\crm\Build\3297\src\platform\include\OMCommon\entity.inl1542 Source: System.Web.Services Code: // strServer should be set with the name of the platform Web server string strServer = "crm"; // virtualDirectory should be set with the name of the Microsoft CRM // virtual directory on the...

How to convert numbered cells into blank
Hi I would like to know how do i convert a blank cell to a 'completely' blank cell. The blank cell is generated under the IF logic (under the " "); but though we see in as a blank cell it is not completely blank. I need it to be completely blank so I can plot the graph as non continous, rather than registering as zero. Thanks for your help in advance. Maybe this: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=209 About 2/3 of the way down the page, look for Gaps in Chart Series; Blanks Chart as Zero -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful...

Macro to shade row of searched cell
OK I've looked all over for this but couldn't find it anywhere. I wan to make a macro that searches for a particular value (that would b contained in a cell but not necessarily the only value in the cell) an highlight the corresponding row and not just the cell. I have a macr that searches for a value and highlights the cell containing part o the entire value but I need the entire row shaded. Here's the cel macro. Sub Finder() On Error Resume Next Dim sh As Worksheet Dim rng As Range x = InputBox("Enter Search Term", "Search") Application.ScreenUpdating = F...

validation #2
I have a sheet in which i want to validate the values that are filled in: possible must be the numbers from 0 to 100 and the value "absent". How do i do this? One way .. Assume inputs would be made in col A, A1 down Select col A Click Data > Validation Select Custom under "Allow" Put as the "Formula:" =OR(AND(A1>=0,A1<=100),A1="absent") Click OK Test it out .. -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "Petrus" <fa273113@skynet.be> wrote in message news:43c0f4e7$0$29454$ba62...

Pay Slip #2
How do I expand the no of digits in the Pay Slip? I have input my pay and it calculates fine. However it only shows #######.#### instead of the actual numbers. I use Money 2004 In microsoft.public.money, PRS wrote: >How do I expand the no of digits in the Pay Slip? I have >input my pay and it calculates fine. However it only >shows #######.#### instead of the actual numbers. > >I use Money 2004 I have not tested this out, but in the Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, you could Customize your settings to perhaps 2 digits following the decimal. I unders...

adding rows #2
How do I add rows without changing cell location in the formula. For example: The data for the formula is always located in cell B4 and if I add a row on top of B4, I want the formula to remain with B4. Right now, if I add a row, the cell in the formula goes down one row. Hope for help If I understand, you're adding a row higher than B4. This shifts B4 down, but you want the "new" B4 to be the data for the formula. If this is the case you could try this: =formula(OFFSET(A1,3,1,1,1)) That is, as long as you don't add a new top row. ...

Linking cell in Excel to Folder in Outlook 2000
I have a contact list in Outlook that I wish to link to from Excel 2000 D:\MSOFFICE\OFFICE\OUTLOOK.EXE /select outlook:173 works perfectly from the RUN command. However, using the Hyperlink command in cell formatting does not. My wife runs a parking lot and needs to be able to click on a parking space, say 201 in Excel and have the clients contact information come up from Outlook. In this case the folder 173 contains all the information on a block of contacts 173 to 210. 173 is by default a .xnt file but Excel doesn't by default appear to be able to deal with one. Any ideas ? I obvio...

How do I determine row number of a cell containing a certain number?
I have a spreadsheet in which some of the entries in column A contain integers starting with 1 and increasing by 1 until a maximum value (never more than 50). In between, the A cells are blank, even though their rows contain data in the other columns. The number of rows between those with entries in column A is variable. For example, entries might be: A5=1, A9=2, A11=3, A17=4. So there are three blank rows between A5 and A9, one between A9 and A11, and five between A11 and A17. The problem is to determine the number of the row that has the highest number in column A. In my spreadsheet,...

Speech recognition #2
How do i use it ? I have istall it but idont know how to use You'll find information in Excel's Help, and on the Microsoft site. For example: XL2002: About Speech Recognition in Excel http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288979 How To Use Speech Recognition in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306901 Speech regonize wrote: > How do i use it ? I have istall it but idont know how to use > > -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Outlook Contacts list #2
When sending a new message and clicking on the "To" button, my contacts list opens, but there is nothing there anymore??? How do I fix this? That would depend on your Outlook version and what you did to break it just before "anymore." You haven't told us anything that would permit an answer. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:410099D7-22BD-40EC-8AC3-FAB3C4064CD4@microsoft.com... > When sending a new message and clicking on the "To" button, my contacts > list > opens, b...

Run macro after booting is over
Is it possible to run a macro when I turn on my PC? e.g. I want my list of duties to be undertaken today. This list is saved in an excel file. I have excel sheets by date. Hi, This is as much a Windows question as an Excel one but yes you can do that. Place a shortcut to the Excel file in the startup directory of your personal start menu and Excel will run that file on startup. Once running you can call macro using the workbook open event -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still suffic...

record still not updated until close the form or run report
I have a cmdStart button in frmWorkshop. When click, it opens another form frmSignIn On load event of frmSignIn, I make frmWorkshop visible = false Below is cmdSignIn on form frmSignIn. It seems the line Forms!frmWorkshop.[WS]=1 always in the memory instead of update the record. Me.Dirty=False does not help. I have to either close frmWorkshop, or run other report be fore the update to show up. Where did I do wrong? Private Sub cmdSignIn_Click() Dim rst As DAO.Recordset Set rst = Forms!frmWorkshop.RecordsetClone If Me.intEN <> "" Then rst.FindFirst &quo...

How to get Table Description Field Text to show on Forms? Hovering? Right-Click?
Can I get the fioeld description I enter in the Table Design View to show on Forms or Queries? When the mouse hovers over the field or field name?? When the user right clicks on the field or field name?? At the bottom of the screen when the mouse hovers? How? Thanks for any help. Mel Ken, I've done some programming but not much in Access. How do I (where do I click) to add a function to the "standard module" ??? And, am I correct in understanding that the first function would be called each time the db opened? And the 2nd function would be called each time the form op...

login errors #2
When trying to login I am getting this error: Login denied. An installation task of Analytical Accounting is running. Please try again later. Thus it will not allow me to login. Any suggestions? Try clearing any user stuck in SY00800 "sajlnp" wrote: > When trying to login I am getting this error: > > Login denied. An installation task of Analytical Accounting is running. > Please try again later. > > > Thus it will not allow me to login. > > Any suggestions? Hello Have you tried to run Dynamics Utilities? It seems that you have an unfinish...

Formula on Actual Vs Plan
Hi Friends! Could some help me on this formula? I need to complete a task say from 1-Jun-05 to 30-Jun-05 i.e 30 days, but however on a given day when I analyse the Project schedule (say today), I find out that on the 9th day i.e 9-Jun-05 on actual progress I have completed only 4% of the Job, Hence what should be my forecasted days to complete the job a 100% in actual, now putting it in a mathematical sense: 100% = 30days (Plan) 4% = 9days (Actual & when the plan is 30%) Hence 96% = ? (How may days in Forecast) I want the formula to be dynam...

Link cell to axis maximum and mininum
Hi I have a big number of charts that I would like to change the X-axis maximun and minimum values in an easy way. It would be perfect just to asign e.g. the maximum value to a worksheet cell. Is it possible in any other way to change the chart axis max and min value for more than one chart at a time Best Regard Peter Hi have a look at the following site for an add-in that will achieve this http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/autochart/index.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Peter wrote: > Hi, > > I have a big number of charts that I would like to change the...

Open workbook without running Workbook_Open Event
I'm using Excel 2007. How do I open a workbook (the workbook is a .xls 97-2003 format) WITHOUT running the Workbook_Open event? I tried holding down the SHIFT key while opening as this worked in previous versions of Excel, but the event still runs (unfortunately, there is an ActiveWorkbook.Close at the end of my code so I can't get in to modify it :( I'm sure there is a simple way to do this in 2007 but I do not know it. Thanks for the help. Hi Domenick I read more about this problem Works OK for me when I use Office Button>Open and hold the Shift key Chang...

Show two value ranges on one axis
How do you show two value ranges of the same data on one axis? (the axis range is separated by a zigzag/heartbeat style line). e.g. instead of showing 0-50, the axis could show 10-25 and 40-45. Any help appreciated! Take a look at Jon Peltier's Broken Y axis example. http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html "NOKIA" <NOKIA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2564B7F7-0693-4A7E-A5C8-9D3180B4EA6B@microsoft.com... > How do you show two value ranges of the same data on one axis? (the axis > range is separated by a zigzag/heartbeat style l...

Object Library Not Registered #2
When starting Excel XP, I now receive a Visual Basic dialog box that says, "Object Library Not Registered." Help suggests that I need to reregister the library. ???? Does that mean I should reinstall Office XP? After I click OK to close the dialog box, all seems to work just fine. I don't want to create a bigger problem than I have now which doesn't seem to be a problem, just an annoyance. Thanks. ...

Having Formatting Remain on "Called" cell using IF function
I'm using an IF function to call some other cells, but I want to have the various words color coded, eg ("Certified" is green, "Recertify" is yellow, and "Not Certified" is red). I have the IF function working correctly, but when it "calls" the cell to have it display the appropriate word, the color of each word is not brought along with it...only the text. Is there a way to be able to color code it so that the appropriate color appears? Thanks! -- Zaraf ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Zaraf's Profi...

Linking problem #2
Hi I am using Excel 2000 and am using a spreadsheet with many pages and a large number of cells linking to external workbooks. These links are no longer required. I have tried to change the source to delete it however nothing is working. Is there a way to delete the links in one go so that I do not get the auto-update request every time I open the file? Thanks Bill :confused: -- danison ------------------------------------------------------------------------ danison's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10098 View this thread: http://www.excelfo...

Send the Document, may differ some place due to cell contents...
I think subject wasn't so good that tell you what i wanted to do... I have a text that is about an a4 page in Word. I have an Database of about 150 firms. And two colums; Company name & Company Productivety. Company name Producktivety a 90 b 50 ... .. ... .. And so goes. And the text is like; -------------------------- .................................................. ............ .. ......... Company name: a Company productivety: 90 -...

Another Victim to Office SP-2
Like several of you I fell for it and installed Office SP-2 and in doing so lost the ability to access my Excel and Word Docs that were previously created. When I go to open Excel I get an Unable to Read File error. Likewise when I get a similiar error when trying to load word or a word document. Rundown of my case 1) Office XP Professiona 2) Tried to Reinstall/Repair ect with lots of headaches and liitle help 3) Tried to Unregister and then ReRegister Excel with no success(excel.exe /unregserver) &(excel.exe /regserver 4) Tried to ReRegister WinWord (winword.exe /r 5) Note I am using Nor...

macro to continue running if error
Hi, I have the following macro that is working fine. It is looking at a specified worksheet array and executing the macro "Filter" on each worksheets. However, in case one of the worksheet is not existing, I would like the macro to pass the non existing worksheet and continue running on the next available worksheet. I tried adding the following statement: "On Error Resume Next" at the beginning but it is passing everything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Sub UpdateAll() For Each sh In Worksheets(Array("1", "2", "3", ...