show comments when cell is highlighted Vs when cursor runs over? #2

How do you make the comments appear when the cell is highlighted opposed to
when the mouse cursor runs over the cell?
0
Don4849 (203)

You can press Shift/F2, or Insert/Edit Comment. If you wanted to see it
"automatically", when you select the cell, you'd need a macro, but I don't
think this is what you're asking.
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"Don" wrote:

> How do you make the comments appear when the cell is highlighted opposed to
> when the mouse cursor runs over the cell?
To at least  Excel 2000, if you have the Tools, Options, Comment Indicator Only
you will see the comment if you hover over the cell with the mouse.   You will not
see the comment if you arrow key into the cell to select the cell.

I think some of this behavior was changed in Excel 2003 so that you have
to select the cell.  .   In any case the difference
between having the comment show as you hover as opposed to having
to select the cell is not something you can override.

Along the lines of editing the comment to see it,   you can use a right click
(context menu) to edit the cell comment, which is probably easier since you
probably already would be using the mouse.
---
HTH,

"Bob Umlas, Excel MVP" <BobUmlasExcelMVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You can press Shift/F2, or Insert/Edit Comment. If you wanted to see it
> "automatically", when you select the cell, you'd need a macro, but I don't
> think this is what you're asking.
> Bob Umlas
> Excel MVP
>
> "Don" wrote:
>
> > How do you make the comments appear when the cell is highlighted opposed to
> > when the mouse cursor runs over the cell?

0
dmcritchie (2586)
4/30/2005 12:38:06 PM
Instead of a comment, you can use a data validation input message. There
are instructions in Excel's Help, and here:

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

analytical accounting lookups should only show valid codes
When entering AA transaction distributions, the code lookup window should only show valid code combinations. It's not intuitive for the user to have to select a code and get an error message to discover which codes are valid. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the mess...

What kind of 2.5" HD adapter do I need?
Hello, I decided to replace HD in my laptop. It is HP Pavilion DV2000. I need some kind of adapter to connect it to my desktop (my desktop have SATA and IDE drives) to clone the old HD to a new one. It says my disk is SATA Serial - but I see it is not regular SATA adapter. Here are pictures of my HD: http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test1.jpg http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test3.jpg http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test4.jpg Any idea what kind adapter do I need? Thanks, Zalek ZalekBloom@hotmail.com wrote:...

Outlook shows offline during dial up
Having a problem with outlook 2002. Over the WAN everything works fine. Dial up and connect to the network (VPN) internet work fine. Outlook will sync up however, a red x shows up in the bottom right hand corner. Outlook shows offline, I can send and receive but must hit send and receive. I have reloaded the computer from scratch and still have the same problem. Could it be a Excange setting? Any Ideas? Thanks for the help, If you hit File | Connect to Exchange Server what happens? -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize ...

Printing A5 booklets 2 up on A4
This problem only exists within the new Publisher 2007. Having tried many different combinations of Page Setup and Print Setup there does not appear to be a method of creating an A5 Booklet (folded center), printed 2 up on an A4 page or, 4 up on an A3 page. What was a simple task within every earlier version of Publisher appears to have been missed from the new 2007 version. PLEASE CORRECT THIS ASAP and get a patch out... Thank you ! Note: Printing to a HP 8550 printer with Duplex. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions wi...

reminder still shows up
when I run Outlook.exe /cleanreminders it simply opens Outlook, I am running Vista "Toppro" <Toppro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AE8DBF7-6BE3-454A-82F9-5A040566026C@microsoft.com... > when I run Outlook.exe /cleanreminders it simply opens Outlook, I am > running > Vista Outlook version? The Windows version isn't as important and that of Outlook. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Highlight 1 cell in Excel & move mouse-stays highlighted
I highlight one cell in Excel and then move mouse and the cells stay highlighted, and in the process it highlights other cells. Once I click on a cell there is no button that can stop this. Therefor I have to ctrl/alt/delete out of the program. Happens every time I go to a cell. Checked the mouse settings and everything appears normal and this only happens in Excel???? Any suggestions? You could try downloading and installing a new version of the mouse driver, if one is available from the manufacturer's web site. Or, try a different mouse and driver on the machine. David McRit...

Running command line command without the DOS window
Hi I am trying to loop through a recordset and issue a dos command to start a service. When I try to execute the code below, I get about 50 DOS windows opening at the same time, can anyone advise if I can execute these commands silently, and how can I capture the results? All help is greatly appreciated... Private Sub btnStartServices_Click() Dim rs As DAO.Recordset Dim strServer, strService, strCommand As String Dim strQry As String strQry = "qry01_StartServices" Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(strQry, dbOpenDynaset) If rs...

Add Comment To Custom Sub-Menu
Good Evening All, I have been playing with JWalk's super Custom Menu Maker download (menumakr). I was hoping that it may be possible to create a pop-up comment (ie explaination of the item), as the cursor moves over the item in the sub-menu. Any help with this (if possible) would be most welcome. Cheers, Mathew --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.720 / Virus Database: 476 - Release Date: 14/07/2004 Menu items do not display tool tips. But the menu item caption can be quite long so it can be somewhat e...

Show Window
I am currently developing a MFC SDI application. I want to integrate a tray icon with it. When the application is minimized it hides by ShowWindow(SW_HIDE) and then when double clicked on tray icon shown by ShowWindow(SW_SHOWNORMAL). But the problem is if some other application is activated after my application is minimized, ShowWindow shows it but it's behind some screen. I have tried with SetFocus didn't work. Please help me to solve this problem. Thank you. Varuna Try BringWindowToTop. ---- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com In addition to Ajay's idea you can also use SetFor...

Highlight specific name
I have a list of street names Is there a way that when I enter in a particular cell the street name (Main St.), all Main street on may list will be highlighted? Thank you for your help. Juran Dave, Thank you for your help. I did as your recommended, and on formating I ask to change the color and put the street name in bold. Bun unfortunately is not working. Rubem >-----Original Message----- >You could use Format|conditional formatting to highlight all the cells that >contain "main st." (not just highlight the characters "main st." themselves. > >If A...

Information Stores show dismounted yet mail is still flowing...
Background: Windows AD Mixed moded. Exchange 2003 installed on to a 2 node Microsoft cluster. 1 Front End server...connecting to the primary cluster node. Windows 2003 Standard on, FE Windows 2003 Enterprise Server on BEs (<---cluster) no service packs on either. Exchange has SP1 installed on both nodes and the FE. There are still Exchange 5.5 servers in the environment although they are not being used. The Issue: .....the information stores and public folders all show that they are dismounted...yet email is still flowing into and out of the server without any issues. I just...

multiple if/then on one cell
here is basically what i want to do. if a3=b3 than x if not than check to see if a3=b4 than y if not than check to see if a3=b5 than z i just don't know how to make excel understand. if there is a different command to use that would be cool too .. i just don't know it. thanks in advance. Try this: =IF(A3=B3,"x",IF(A3=B4,"y",IF(A3=B5,"z"))) "cheshire191" wrote: > here is basically what i want to do. > > if a3=b3 than x > if not than check to see if a3=b4 than y > if not than check to see if a3=b5 than z > > i just ...

Using ajax call to fetch multiple results from multiple queries and showing them 1 by 1 as the results comes.
Hello, I've 20 labels in a 2x10 table on a page. for each label, data comes by individual queries. (total 20 queries for the page.) and it takes about 30-40 seconds for the page to load, and it's not comfortable for the user to see blank page. I want that each cell will show loading.gif images. As and when data comes from query, the images should go visible=false, and the label should display the values one by one. How do I do this task using ajax? Some ASP.NET code example will be helpful for me, as I'm a kind of beginner. Thanks ...

Why Excel outlines cells that change?
Lately, Excel seems to outline cells that I change. The outline seems to remain until I cause the window to be update -- for example, scrolling the cells out of view, then into view, or minimizing, then maximizing the window. If this is an option that I can disable, please tell me how. FYI, I am using Excel 2002 (10.4302.4219) SP-2. Unfortunately, I am using an MS Win server that someone else controls. So I do not know what changed to cause this new outline behavior. Hi goto 'Tools - Track changes' and disbale this feature -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Help Me wrot...

Concatenating cell values to create sheet names
I would like to concatenate cell values to create a name that corresponds to a worksheet name and then use that in a formula. Does anyone know how to do this? You can use: =a1&a2 to concatenate a couple of cells. To refer to that in another formula, you'd need something like: =indirect("'" & a1&a2 &"'!A1") or if there's a chance your concatenated string refers to a non-existing worksheet and you want to avoid a #ref! error, you can check first: =IF(ISERROR(CELL("address",INDIRECT("'"&A1&A2&"&#...

Cell value in formula
Does anybody know if I can report a value in a cell to formula in a another cell. For exampel if the value in A1 is "Sheet2" and a formula in A2 is =LETARAD(B2;'((A1))'!A:B;2;FALSKT) Im not sure what 'Letarad' is called in english, Findrow? /Marcus Hi have a look at the INDIRECT function for this >-----Original Message----- >Does anybody know if I can report a value in a cell to formula in a another cell. > >For exampel if the value in A1 is "Sheet2" >and a formula in A2 is >=LETARAD(B2;'((A1))'!A:B;2;FALSKT) > >Im not su...

Results show as a minus. WHY?
I have an application that was developed by another developer using VB.net which reside in a SQL table. I need to use some of the data from this table, however the data shows as -0.5 or - 0.99 or -1.70 etc in my Access tables. How can I get those numbers to show as a percentage with only one decimal point to the left? Example: 3.6% or 31.4 %. Any help would be greatly appreciated. No matter what I do it shows that dang "-" at the beginning. You can use the Abs function to strip off the negative Abs([YourTable].[YourField]) And you can format that as percentage either using th...

I need to type numbers into an excel spreadsheet some of them begin with a zero some do not. How can I have excel show the 0 in the numbers that begin with 0. If I type 0236547 the number shows as 236547. I don't want all the numbers I type to begin with zero. I am using Excel 2003. Thanks very much for your help. Best regards, Dee use a custom format with how ever many digits you need, 000000 -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA60FC8A-C7CB-432A-B2B2-EEEBF86D2646@microsoft.com... >...

Arrow keys move work sheet and not from cell to cell???
I apparently have inadvertantly checked something so that when I use my arrow keys I do not move to the next cell. Rather the work sheet itself moves. I would deeply appreciate any help here. Thank you in advance for any direction Jerry Touch Scroll Lock -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200847 "JERRY" wrote: > I apparently have inadvertantly checked something so that when I use my > arrow keys I do not move to the next cell. Rather the work sheet itself > moves. I would deeply appreciate any help here. Thank you in advance for any > direction > Jerry >...

Substracting numbers in non contigous cells
Hi! I need a formula to substract numbers in non contigous cells THAT ARE IN ONE COLUMN and have the result in other cell, for example: ..=2E.....................A...................B R1..................................BLANKCELL R2..................................BLANKCELL R3..................................15 R4..................................BLANKCELL R5..................................BLANKCELL R6..................60.............75 R8..................................BLANKCELL R9..................................BLANKCELL R10................................BLANKCELL R11...............

Comments not showing
When a SharePoint workflow is edited and a comment is added. The comment does not display in the workflow status screen under workflow history. It shows as follows: Task assigned to Andre Wessels was completed by System Account. Comments: Instead of: Task assigned to Andre Wessels was completed by System Account. Comments: Please update to the new company logo. This happens for all standard SharePoint workflows (Approval, Collect Feedback). Any custom workflows does show the comment. The comment field is update in the task item. It just does not show. There is no error in t...

Report Server shows 'Service Unavailable'
Hi, before install, the SRS setup, send me a warning, some like "the Windows Sharepoint Services are install and not permit initialize a Reportserver component" i skip wiht the installation, so.. I can't run http://<localhost>/Reports and http://<localhost>ReportServer show a message "Service Unavailabe", but the ReportServer service is running How initialize that or what do i do? ------=_NextPart_0001_09E699C9 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit <Miguel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > before install, the SRS set...

show comments when cell is highlighted Vs when cursor runs over? #2
How do you make the comments appear when the cell is highlighted opposed to when the mouse cursor runs over the cell? You can press Shift/F2, or Insert/Edit Comment. If you wanted to see it "automatically", when you select the cell, you'd need a macro, but I don't think this is what you're asking. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Don" wrote: > How do you make the comments appear when the cell is highlighted opposed to > when the mouse cursor runs over the cell? To at least Excel 2000, if you have the Tools, Options, Comment Indicator Only you will see the co...

custom controls #2
Maybe not an MFC question, but ... I'm looking for info on building custom controls from the ground up - starting with a CWnd. There is a simplistic example on codeproject, but I'm looking for something a little more in-depth. For example, let's say I wanted to build a button control from scratch. Anybody seen any examples or text anywhere? I have Newcomer's fine Win32 text, other Windows books, I've searched msdn, etc. Some mention starting with CWnd as an option, but take the easy way out as far examples go. TIA "BobF" <rNfOrSePeAzMe@charter....