Shortcut for wrap text or vertical center in cell

Is there a keyboard shortcut for wrap text?  how about centering data
vertically in a cell?

Have you considered assigning a short macro to the KB combination of i.e.
<Ctrl>+<Shift>+W?

Dennis

"webbuzzard" wrote:

> Is there a keyboard shortcut for wrap text?  how about centering data
> vertically in a cell?
0
Dennis (299)
7/18/2005 4:37:34 PM
Buzz,

Looking in Help for formatting shorcuts yielded nothing.  You can roll your
own, using the underlines.  For wrap text, it's a bit long.  Alt-o, e, a,
Alt-w, Enter.  For vertical centering, Alt-o, e, a, Alt-V, c, Enter.

Or you could record a macro as you do this once (store it in personal
workbook if you want if available across all workbooks).  You have to remove
all the code not related to vertical centering, or whatever task is at hand,
as the recorder generates code for everthing in the dialog you were in.  Now
you can assign that to a keyboard shortcut, a toolbar button, or a menu
item.

I've recorded some for you:

Sub WrapText()
    With Selection
        .MergeCells = True
    End With
End Sub

Sub VerticalCenter()
    With Selection
        .VerticalAlignment = xlCenter
    End With
End Sub

Paste this into a module of personal.xls in the VBE (Alt-F11 to get to it).
Then assign them to a keyboard shortcut (Tools - Macro - Macros).
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"webbuzzard" <webbuzzard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a keyboard shortcut for wrap text?  how about centering data
> vertically in a cell?

0
someone798 (944)
7/18/2005 4:41:33 PM
Select columns and rows you want wrapped text the right click and choose
format cells.  Keep clicking wrap text until you get a dark checkmark.

If you rarely need to wrap text then select a cell that you want to wrap
text. Right click, format cells, wrap text.  Move to the next cell and do a
control y which is redo last action.

"webbuzzard" wrote:

> Is there a keyboard shortcut for wrap text?  how about centering data
> vertically in a cell?
0
Mike1154 (1216)
7/18/2005 5:36:03 PM
Mike,

Ctrl-y is redo last undo, not repeat last action.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

> Select columns and rows you want wrapped text the right click and choose
> format cells.  Keep clicking wrap text until you get a dark checkmark.
>
> If you rarely need to wrap text then select a cell that you want to wrap
> text. Right click, format cells, wrap text.  Move to the next cell and do
> control y which is redo last action.
>
> "webbuzzard" wrote:
>
>> Is there a keyboard shortcut for wrap text?  how about centering data
>> vertically in a cell?

0
someone798 (944)
7/18/2005 5:43:40 PM
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:43:40 -0400, "Earl Kiosterud" wrote:
>Ctrl-y is redo last undo, not repeat last action.

It functions as both.

If you format a column, and do not Undo it, pressing Ctrl-Y on another
column will repeat the format.

MP-
--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
 B.F. Skinner

So it does.  It tried to get it to do that, but didn't have the hang of it.
It appears if there's anything in the redo queue, Ctrl-y redoes that.  If
not, it repeats the last action.  I think! :)  Thanks.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Mangus Pyke" <manguspyke@REMOVE-TO-REPLYcomcast.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:43:40 -0400, "Earl Kiosterud" wrote:
>>Ctrl-y is redo last undo, not repeat last action.
>
> It functions as both.
>
> If you format a column, and do not Undo it, pressing Ctrl-Y on another
> column will repeat the format.
>
> MP-
> --
> "Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
> B.F. Skinner

0
someone798 (944)

How to squeeze out vertical space when controls have no value?
MSAccess 2003 My simple form has several fields arranged vertically in the detail section. Some of the fields may have null or zero-length string values. I have the Can Shrink property of each control set to "Yes". In the code for the Detail_Format event, I have the following type of logic, replicated for each control: Private Sub Detail_Format(Cancel As Integer, FormatCount As Integer) Me.Controls("Description").Visible = True If Me.Controls("Background").Text = "" Then Me.Controls("Background").Visible = False End If 'Same thin...

text as 0
I have cells formatted as 'text' in several worksheets linked to a text cell on a 'master' worksheet. When I enter text in the cell on the master worksheet, it is copied into the cells on the linked worksheets. However, when I delete the text in the cell on the master worksheet, I get a '0' in the cells on the linked worksheets - rather than a blank. How can I format the cells in the linked worksheets to just show a blank, rather than a '0'? Thanks, Rick You can use a custom format like General;-General; or you can change the link to =IF('Mas...

Can clip art be put behind text in Publisher?
I would like to lay text on top of a very light image of a dove. I can achieve this by first printing the dove clip art, and then feeding the paper through again and printing the text on top of the dove image. It looks great, but since I have to print 100, is very time consuming. Any ideas? Thank you Put the image on the background (master page) ctrl+m. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Mary P." <Mary P.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E2BC3F23-9298-4F14-9907-1E64DFCEFBC3@micro...

How to show where cell was copied from?
Previously excel would show where I copied a cell from, ='EBO 2005'!J37, but now it only shows the value of the, $3,433.04. Previously this was just a cut and paste, but something has been changed in excel. Hi Jim It sounds as though you did a Paste Special>Values as opposed to Paste (perhaps inadvertently). Copy and Paste functionality has not altered. -- Regards Roger Govier "Jim" <Jim @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B64910BC-3854-4E77-A410-3AC51B9BAE53@microsoft.com... > Previously excel would show where I copied a cell from, ='...

getting text to wrap around a picture
I am using Publisher XP in Windows XP. After creating a text box and typing in text, I insert a picture. The text doesn't wrap around the picture. Instead, there is a horizontal blank area on both sides of the picture. When I select "format picture" and "Layout" and see the various options (square, tight, through, top and bottom, and none) the only one that makes a difference is through. However, then the picture covers up part of the text. So it comes out looking like "top and bottom" or "through". I've used earlier versions of Publisher and hav...

shortcut keys
I wanted to know if their was a way through VBA to simulate using the shortcut keys I am trying to loop through several sheets and kick of essbase to retrieve my data and given i have 50 sheets i was wondering if i could write something in VBA that would simulate selecting the sheet and then kicking of essbase Thank youi You can use the sendkeys method however it's not always 100% reliable! dstiefe;717401 Wrote: > I wanted to know if their was a way through VBA to simulate using the shortcut keys I am trying to loop through several sheets and kick of ...

change color if text is = or not, to text in other column
I am taking practice tests. ColB contains text (the correct answers). ColC contains text (my practice answers). I want the cells in ColC to turn green if my answer is correct (matches the text in ColB) and turn red if it is incorrect (does not match the text in ColB). I can't figure out how to get it to apply Conditional Formating on the columns. It wants me to apply it to only a single cell. I've also tried copying and pasting special just the formatting. It turns the cells in ColC green if they match cell B2 (not the corresponding answer that is in the same row). Please ...

Change currency on all sheets based on one cell value
Hello, I need to change currency formatting based on one selected value. So, if the user changes Italy as their base country, I want the currency to change to €. If they choose the UK, I want the currency to change to £. I have a cell (Inputs!A1) which updates to 1 for euro country and 2 for the UK. The cells ranges that need to change are Inputs!L94-M94, Inputs!L96:M98 and Calculations!A1:D5. Is this doable? Many thinks in advance. -- Johanna On Feb 5, 10:24=A0am, Johanna Gronlund <JohannaGronl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > &g...

Importing Text with "s around it
I have about 14,000 lines of text I need to import into an Exce spreadsheet Each one is a number and each number as the "s around it example: "123456" I need to keep those, however at the moment, if I paste it into th Excel spreadsheet it takes them away.. makes it 123456 Is there a way that I can paste the values in there so that it keep the " marks? Thanks in advanc -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I don't know how to paste such strings into Excel without losing the "s But, you could easily add the "s back once the numbers are paste...

How do I turn off keyboard shortcuts in Office 2007?
I need to turn the short cuts off permanently. I keep deleting text amongst other things! As far as I know, there is no way to "globally" turn off keyboard shortcuts in Word. What you can do is remove the specific shortcuts that you don't want. For that purpose, use the Customize Keyboard dialog box (Office button | Word Options, Customize: Click the Customize button). However, instead of changing the keyboard shortcuts, I would recommend making use of Undo whenever you make a mistake. For example, if you delete something accidentally, click the Undo button on...

Dates shown as text
When I use the trim function on some dates that have been input as text, the leading spaces are gone. But Excel still treats the dates as though they were text However, if I hit the F2 key to enter the edit mode and then press Enter, it converts the information to dates. How do I convert thess quasi-text cells without manually editing each one? Is there a worksheet function that will do this? Thanks Try this: - copy any empty cell - select the problem cells - do Edit>Paste Special, click Add, then OK - do Format>Cells>Date HTH Anders Silv=E9n "Colleyville Alan" <...

I wrapped a two line cell. I sorted but the wrapped cell didn't g.
I am putting a list of names on excell. Some have to go on two lines in one cell. I wrapped that cell. But when I sort data from ascending to descending the wrapped cell does not go with that info. Any suggestions When I format a cell with Wrap Text, and sort the list, the formatting stays with the cell. Are the values typed in your list, or are they links to other cells? Mike's cells wrote: > I am putting a list of names on excell. Some have to go on two lines in one > cell. I wrapped that cell. But when I sort data from ascending to > descending the wrapped cell does...

Create Shortcut
Hi all, I use the CreateLink function of the msdn to create a shortcut of an application to the desktop. That works fine for exe-File but not for bat-Files. For bat-Files the shortcut will be created, but if I want to start it -> it will be executed in the desktop path and not in the path of the original batch file. Any suggestions? Regards, Matthias "Matthias" <ichwarteaufmail@yahoo.de> wrote in message news:1118914939.268367.271110@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi all, > > I use the CreateLink function of the msdn to create a shortcut of an > applicati...

Can't seem to anchor text to size w/the object when I make it smal
I have created an object using different objects including text. I can select all, copy it to another format, and size it down in one piece, but the text does not size down. Hplease! Select the text, format, autofit text, shrink text on overflow. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Gwenie" <Gwenie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D56CEC3-C9A4-47D5-83BC-ED2BDE412D7E@microsoft.com... >I have created an object using different objects including text. I can > select all, copy it to an...

What is simple text?
When creating a custom list that includes a column of accounting formated data, I get an error message that 'fields without simple text will be ignored'. The result is all other data except the accounting formatted data. Help!!!! I suppose it means without the currency symbol and thousands delimiters. On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:01:04 -0700, TexMas <TexMas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When creating a custom list that includes a column of accounting formated >data, I get an error message that 'fields without simple text will be >ignored'. The result is ...

shortcuts
How do I put a shortcut that leads to a document outside of Outlook (on my C: drive) onto my Outlook shortcuts bar? Position Outlook and Windows Explorer windows so you can see both. Go to the location where the file is. Right click on the file and drag to the Outlook shortcut bar. You'll get a prompt "Add to Outlook bar" or "Cancel". Click on Add to Outlook Bar. >-----Original Message----- >How do I put a shortcut that leads to a document outside of Outlook (on my C: drive) onto my Outlook shortcuts bar? >. > ...

How suppress chart points
I want to suppress chart points for a cumulative line graph of monthly telephone costs where the particular month's values have not yet been entered but there is a formula in the cell which currently returns null but will return the value once it is posted on the accountmaster sheet. Hi, Use NA(). The will cause the data marker to be omitted. Note the line will be interpolated between valid data points. Something like this, =IF( <test> , <value> , NA() ) Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "sarcastix" <sarcastix@di...

Text Box 05-21-10
I have the following event procedure on a text box: Private Sub txtNotesOnTransaction_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) Debug.Print "User: " & CurrentUser() & " " & Me!txtNotesOnTransaction End Sub It is suppose to stamp the user name in the text box but it does not work. Any suggestions? Thanks PJ - The debug.print will just display (in the immediate window of the code pane) the name and the Notes. If you want the notes saved with the name, do this: Me!txtNotesOnTransaction = "User: " & CurrentUser() & " " &a...

when deleting text hit backspace more than once delete paragraph?
I am working in publisher 2007, every time i make a mistake and go to correct the error, when pressing backspace key more than once, it automatically selects the entire paragraph and if i hit it one more time it erases the entrie paragraph? Why does it do this? is this a know problem with the beta2? I believe you should be able to press the backspace (delete) key as many times as you want to delete text, i dont want to use the mouse when typing to correct mistakes. This doesn't happen with my beta, could be a repair would help. I had an issue with the Document Imaging so I repaire...

Shortcut Key for delete?
Is there any keyboard shortcut for deleting a row? Instead of right click delete. -- KH_GS ------------------------------------------------------------------------ KH_GS's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32920 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=540175 Hi, You can select the row and hold down Ctrl and press - Regards, Bondi Thank you ! :cool: -- KH_GS ------------------------------------------------------------------------ KH_GS's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&useri...

searching for text on the Web
I would like to create a simple macro that would go to several/many web sites and search for a few strings of text, and if found, save that web site, or its URL. Here is a more specific example: Given a URL, like http://www.scooby.com/monthtext.cfm?id=2154, I would like to input 2 numbers, say 2154 and 2231, and also say, 3 strings of text, like "timely" "fat" "house". So the macro would go to each URL, http://www.scooby.com/monthtext.cfm?id=2154, http://www.scooby.com/monthtext.cfm?id=2155, http://www.scooby.com/monthtext.cfm?id=2156, etc. up to http://www.s...

Excel 2003
When I upgraded from Office 2000 to 2003, the Office Shortcut bar disappeared. How do I get it to load at bootup? -- PT ...

Outlook 2007: Text Box Entry for Categories?
My department is migrating from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007. I am piloting 2007 and am struggling with categories. We use many categories for our shared mailbox. Every incoming mail item is categorized using one or more categories. Because of the large number of categories and how often they change, most of us are used to just typing them into the text entry box. For instance, a mail item may be categorized as "parts, chrysler, z01112008," the z-number indicating a delivery date. That's what we type in the text box. Once categorized, management can then filter by category to s...

Shortcuts #2
I have a PC running Windows 98 and Excel 2000. When I am in Excel and use File - Open and opint to a file it opent it as is should. But If I create a shortcut to the file or use Windows explorer to navigate to the file then double click on it, Excel opens, but then gives me an error message saying that it can't find the file and that the path must be wrong. Why is this happening? The file is fine, since I can open it from within Excel. Hi try the following: goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this d...

Replace Text w/ VBA
Hello, I need help to designing a VBA macro that would replace in column K: the following text "30.11.2004" into text "11/30/2004". I need this macro to be as generic as possible since I may have other texts such as 30.09.2004, etc. Thanks, Hi, You might want to try Edit>Replace and replace a "." with a "/". Hope that helps. Jason "Jeff" wrote: > Hello, > > I need help to designing a VBA macro that would replace in column K: > the following text "30.11.2004" into text "11/30/2004". > I need th...