shared and read-only

I have several excel ss on a server that are shared.  When I open them from a
new computer with a pre-installed version of Office 2003, they will only open
as (read-only) (shared).  The previous machine did not have this problem.
Another machine on the same network has no problem opening the file as shared
without the read-only restriction.  I would appreciate any help possible on
this annoyance.

0
Susan (148)

Just a wild guess...

Are you sure that the user for the new pc has write access to that share?  Excel
will notice those permissions and respect them.

--

Dave Peterson
0

How do I stop graphs reading zero in Excel from cells with ""?
Hi. I am making a model in Excel which is takes data updates from an outside source and then processes the information to develop charts on the data. There are a lot of charts so I have developed the model to process the data automatically as the data comes (down the sheet). This processing means that there are formulas in place, waiting for the data to come in. I use a =if(a1="","",<operation>) notation to do it for me. If there is data then the if statement is false and the data can be processed; if the data hasn't arrived yet then instead of getting...

excel file copied to cd-r is read only
I copied an excel file to a cd-r data disc, but when loaded into another computer it is read only. I can work with the file here and create new there, do I need a different disc? kzas Hi! When you transfer the file by cd-r to another computer: copy the file from the cd onto the hard drive; inspect the new file (File>Properties > General tab in Excel or us Explorer); Uncheck the Attributes box which says Read only; Resave the file. Al -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com thanks, I'll give it a try later today and get back kzas "AlfD >" wrote: > ...

multiple (read-only) copies of one document?
we're on a small office network, with multiple people using publisher on their machines (some, winXP, some, win2000, ALL on publisher 2002) sometimes, two people need to access the same document at the same time. in word, or powerpoint, you can have a Read-Only copy of the same document open across a network. publisher doesnt seem to allow this. can anyone suggest a fix for this? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from matt <matt@genevaglobal.com>... > sometimes, two people need to access the same document at > the same time. in word...

Shared folders on a shared exchange 2003
I have a shared exchange 2003 where deferent company�s have there mails. But how do I make a shared public folder for each company? The public folders may not be visible for other then the people in the actual company. /C COZ <kofo@spamspamspam.org> wrote: >I have a shared exchange 2003 where deferent company�s have there mails. >But how do I make a shared public folder for each company? >The public folders may not be visible for other then the people in the >actual company. Make sure the "client permissions" you assign to the folder doesn't include the &...

Reading e-mail
I would like to click on my e-mail, view it and have it show un-read until I openit myself "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E5B1F87D-1B61-42EA-A6A8-22E499F9B388@microsoft.com... >I would like to click on my e-mail, view it and have it show un-read until >I > openit myself Don't use the Preview pane. If you view it in the Preview pane (which inappropriately named), you just read it! You might want to use AutoPreview mode instead. It shows the first few lines of each mail but as plain-text only. That way, you get a clue as ...

Excel file opened as read-only, if saved by another user
I have two users defined in my XP system. Let'c call them "A" (admin) and "B". If I save an excel file in the Shared Folder as user "A", then user B can only open it as Read-only. However, if user B saves it, then user A has no problem in open it as a read/write file. It hasn't always been like this, in the past I had no problems in updating this file regardless of how I logged in. Why does this happen? Is there a setting somewhere that needs to be updated? How can I correct it? Rgds, GeEf GeEf, Open the file, (either user) and look in the Share Fi...

Reading pane general question
I'm using Outlook 2007 (under Vista Home premium) and very recently I noticed that many (if not all) of the folders under my InBox, and I have a lot, were configured with the Reading Pane abled. I do not use that feature and the change surprised me. I could see how I might have accidentally clicked that option for one folder but not folders that I rarely use. I went back and manually disabled the Reading Pane from those folders (75+ folders, in various groups, grouped under the InBox). Any thoughts on how this could have happened? I'm more curious than annoyed. Any thoughts?...

Sharing Calendar, can you share contacts too?
We have an administrative secretary, who maintains 3 high level administrator's calendars... we use outlook 2003 with exchange 2003, she opens their shared calendars and edits them... Maybe I'm overlooking a really simple answer... but is there a way she could similarly edit their personal address books (they all use palm pilots and want their own individual contact lists).... Any ideas appreciated... Thanks! Sure, just need to delegate rights to those folders and she can "Open Other user's Folder" and choose Contacts. "Ken Montgomery" <KenMontg...

Shared Workbook Query
Hi, I have set up a shared workbook for 20+ users. I am aware that share workbooks in Excel (I have version 2002) have limited functionality an that you cannot for example merge cells. However, if there are merged cells in another worksheet and someon wants to copy across text (which includes merged cells) into the share workbook it removes the merged formatting. At present I have to take the share off the workbook and then cop across the data (which includes merged cells) then reshare the workboo so that the formatting is maintained. Is there any other way around this problem so that peo...

Sharing Outlook between profiles?
I am running a 2k server (no exchange server) and need the laptops that connect into the domain to be able to view and send emails when connected, and when disconnected. The laptops have just been reloaded after using Novell. The advantage of the novell client was that it used the same local profile for connecting into the domain, and when using the workstation only. With the 2k server however, it uses one profile for the domain, and one for the local workstation. This is where Outlook 2000 is falling over... Please help... ...

Cannot share calendar
Hi I'm trying to setup a user so that she can view someone else's calendar. I have been able to give her access to other peoples calendars, however i can't give her access to one particular user. even though other people can access that particular users calendar. I have given her all the relevent permissions needed to do so in exchange 2000 and at the target machine, but still an error msg of "you do not have sufficiant permisions to view this item" is given. Don't know what else to do....HELP Thank you Don't grant permissions in the Exchange server its...

Resource sharing error
MS Project 2007 question / assistance needed - I created a separate project file for shared resources, filled in names of resources (techs), hourly rates, etc., etc, then saved the file as (named) "resources". When I try to share those resources in my current project, (tools>resource sharing>Share resources) and select the "resources from" the resources file, each resource then shows up in BOTH project’s resource files. Now all resources are showing up in both projects? Delete unwanted rows from one project, and they're deleted in BOTH projects. What...

calender sharing
I recently upgraded to XP op sys and alongwith it to MS Office 2003. In MS Office 2000, I used to share my private Outlook folders (Calendar, Contacts etc.) with my assistant . With this upgrade to MS Office, I lost the sharing ability. If I right click on any of these components (Calendar, Contacts etc.) the "Sharing" feature is shaded (disabled). How do I share these private folders? If you are talking about NetFolders then this feature was dropped after Outlook 2000 check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm for some options "KAH" <anonymous@discussions.mic...

Sharing the Entourage calendar
Do you know how to share the calendar so my team can view it and my assistant can post items to it? I know there's a save for web function, and if that's the best way to do it, is there a way to automate it so that it saves and uploads to my website? On 7/6/04 11:03 pm, in article fc11fd4e.0406071403.192a07bf@posting.google.com, "Michel" <michel@neray.com> wrote: > Do you know how to share the calendar so my team can view it and my > assistant can post items to it? I know there's a save for web > function, and if that's the best way to do it, is there...

Cannot read file
We have some excel files with macros, pivot tables and more store on our 2000 server. Now Every now and then one file becomes unreadable. I try to open it and it goes through the steps of asking about macros and entering the password but after that is says that it cannot read the file. Now all of these files are based off the same template. I cannot find a common thread as to why this has only happened to a few of the files. Any help would be appreciated. [I have admin rights to the file] Sometimes bad things happen to excel files. And sometimes good people do bad things to excel fil...

Outlook duplicating read/deleted e-mails
My outlook is dulicating every e-mail since last Monday over and over again. What is going on? Any ideas? What version of Outlook do you have? What sort of mail account(s)? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "craig" <craig@salesreality.com> wrote in message news:a04201c35c43$2035b220$a001280a@phx.gbl... > My outlook is dulicating every e-mail since last Monday > over and over again. What is going on? > > Any ideas? ...

Connecting to a shared SSRS data source from BIDS
I'm just starting out using BIDS and creating reports in general. I've been using Report Builder and have no trouble accessing a shared SSRS data source by specifying the Report Server (http://<Server>/ReportServer) in the Options...Settings, from there I can view and use any predefined data source in a report. How do I specify in BIDS that I wish to use a preconfigured shared data source from SSRS, I can't see any obvious option. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks David David, Hopefully when you connect your report to a shared datasource in design t...

RemoteApp is the solution to share .pst files
RemoteApp in Server 2008 is the solution to share .pst files over in local network or the internet! At last, no need for Exchange. ss. Alas, still not supported for .psts on a network share. Use at your own = risk. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 "Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMsyndrome.me.uk> wrote in message = news:%23sexHtIuIHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... RemoteApp in Server 2008 is the solution to share .pst fi...

shared workbook
I have a shared workbook. Once in a while, I cannot uncheck the allow changes by more than one user at the same time. This option in the shared workbook under the tools menu is grayed out. Other times this option is available. Can someone please tell me why this option becomes unavailable. ...

Share your Sharing Wisdom
I hope someone can help me out here. In my Outlook I have tons of subordinate folders within Outlook Today and my Inbox. I literally have 104 to be exact. My question is how can I share all of these to another user so they can access EVERYTHING? I know how to give them permission and add my account to their Outlook view but how can I apply permissions to all of the folders instead of doing them one by one? Please help me if you can. I'm scared of the possibility of a daunting task the looms in my forecast. I sincerely appreciate any and all effort one provides in resolving...

Move message after reading?
It would be more helpful to have the rules move incoming messages after I read them from my inbox. "LLH" <LLH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D5F70CE2-7A37-45F6-B8E3-BC5F227BA067@microsoft.com... > It would be more helpful to have the rules move incoming messages after I > read them from my inbox. Depending on your (secret) version of Outlook, move messages by a rule BEFORE you read them, then use the Unread Messages search folder... ...

Read Notifications are 6days earlier than delivey notification
Dear Colleagues, What is the explanation for a read reciept of a message sent to many users apperas in the tracking tape ealier 6 days than the delivery reciept? the same Time zones on all the PCs all of them are on the same exchange and in the same active directory Site> Example: A message i sent 4 days ago and trying to check its tracking status from the tracking tape of the sent message shows: Tracking: Recipient Delivery Read Sameh Saleh Delivered: 07/03/2006 12:47 PM Read: 07/03/2006 1:39 PM Yehia Amin Delivered: 07/03/2006 12:45 PM Mohamed Daif Delivered: 07/03/2006 12:45 PM ...

hide/close/delete shared account
(bear with me. i'm new and although this is my second time trying to set up money, i've run into the same problem and have yet to find the answer in the forum.) i have four bank accounts and one is shared with a family member. i don't want this account to show up at all in money essentials. i tried "closing" it. i tried "hiding" it. i tried "deleting" it. but each time i go back to "categorize my transactions," transactions from that account are still there. The problem here is that Money is designed (and Money Essentials (MEss) even ...

Macro error when file is shared
I have a macro that works fine when the file is not shared, but when it is shared I get "Run-time error '1004': AdvancedFilter method of Range class failed". Can you not run macros in a shared file ? My macro is show below: Sub processdrg() ' ' processdrg Macro ' Macro recorded 8/24/2005 by EDreshfield ' ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+d ' Range("drgcode").AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, CopyToRange:=Range( _ "drg"), Unique:=True Application.Goto Reference:="drgextract" Range("drgextract"...

"Blind" read receipts in OL 2003
Is there a way to track if someone has read an email without a screen message informing them that a read receipt has been requested? Thanks No. Internet standards require that the recipient have a choice in whether a receipt is sent. How would you like it if a spammer could force Outlook to send a receipt against your will? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Hank" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0a8701c3dc3f$9b5ab7d0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is there ...