Shading rows

Hello -

I am a teacher in an alternative school where we must keep
up with the contact hours of each student.  I have been
doing this with Excel for 2 years but there is one thing
that really bugs me.  I shade every other row light gray
to make the easier to follow a given student across an
entire month.  This works fine until I have to add a new
student (I keep them in alpha order).  I can't copy, cut
and paste because that screws the shadings up so I have to
insert a row, etc. etc...

Bottom line - can I lock the shadings of a row so I can
copy and paster data only?

Thank you

Take a look here:

    http://cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm

In article <202401c38432$6ff2cc00$a101280a@phx.gbl>,
 "Larry Weaver" <lonewolf507@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello -
>
> I am a teacher in an alternative school where we must keep
> up with the contact hours of each student.  I have been
> doing this with Excel for 2 years but there is one thing
> that really bugs me.  I shade every other row light gray
> to make the easier to follow a given student across an
> entire month.  This works fine until I have to add a new
> student (I keep them in alpha order).  I can't copy, cut
> and paste because that screws the shadings up so I have to
> insert a row, etc. etc...
>
> Bottom line - can I lock the shadings of a row so I can
> copy and paster data only?
>
> Thank you
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/26/2003 1:55:08 PM
Larry

Select all cells. Go to Format/Conditional Formatting. Set it to 'Formula
is' and input:
=MOD(ROW()/2,1)=0

Andy.
"Larry Weaver" <lonewolf507@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello -
>
> I am a teacher in an alternative school where we must keep
> up with the contact hours of each student.  I have been
> doing this with Excel for 2 years but there is one thing
> that really bugs me.  I shade every other row light gray
> to make the easier to follow a given student across an
> entire month.  This works fine until I have to add a new
> student (I keep them in alpha order).  I can't copy, cut
> and paste because that screws the shadings up so I have to
> insert a row, etc. etc...
>
> Bottom line - can I lock the shadings of a row so I can
> copy and paster data only?
>
> Thank you

0
andy2763 (218)

left far column plus and minus signs that expand rows
Hi, I have a file outputted to excel that has in the far left column, left of the row numbers, a plus or minus sign that seems to group about 3 rows every so many rows. Is there a way I can clear all this grouping? What is it? Thanks! --Randy Starkey It's grouping, Randy! :) Could be one of two methods: Data-->Group and Outline-->Clear Outline Data-->Subtotals-->Remove All ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Randy Starkey" <randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> wrote in message news:11b4v312lukv113@c...

remove shading when printing
I have a form in excel that has the unlocked cells (the ones to be filled out) shaded so they stand out to the user. (FWIW, the form is an application for services) When this form prints, I would like it to print simply with no highlighted cells showing. I want the text the user entered to show, but the background to not show. Secondly, I have a combo box in the upper left corner of the form called "choose office". The user selects the office, and based on the updates, the Address and phone/fax fields are filled in on the bottom of the form. I do not want this combo box ...

Stop row breaks
I have several cells formatted with text wrapping. The last row on the page sometimes breaks, leaving half of the text on the bottom of the first page and the remainder at the top of the next. I need to keep the text together without manually adjusting the page breaks. Is there a way to keep the row from breaking across two pages? Thanks for your help! Emily I have never seen excel print half of a cell, even with text wrapping. If you want, you can email me an example of your problem and I could look at it. Mary >-----Original Message----- >I have several cells formatted wi...

moving rows
I have a large report in tab or csv format that creates 3 rows of data in Excel that I want to move to a single row. Cut and paste will take forever. What can I do? Hi what delimiter is used in the *.csv file and what is set in your Windows registry? Some workarounds: - use 'Data - Text to columns' to separate the data - rename the *.csv file to *.txt as then the textimport wizard is started and you can specify the delimiter -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "cdshon" <cdshon@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:2A52D215-D555-4587-A8C...

Hiding rows and columns in XL 07
How do I get the top column row, which contains only the column letters, and the row number, which is the narrow column to the left of Column A, to disappear when I print? thanks everyone for your help. -mlenard Click File > Page Setup > Sheet tab Uncheck "Row and Column headings" > OK (Its probably checked) Success? Hit the YES below -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:27,000 Files:200 Subscribers:70 xdemechanik --- "mlenard" wrote: > How do I get the top column row, which contains only the column letters, and > the row num...

Macro to reveal three hidden rows each time it's clicked
Hi guys , Is it possible to create a macro which will reveal the next three hidden rows in excel every time a user clicks it? I've got a lot of hidden rows but I only want the next three to be displayed each time a user clicks the same button to activate the macro. I'd also like the cursor to then be placed in the first cell of the next three rows. Can you help? Many thanks, Keith Right click sheet tab>view code>insert this. Then DOUBLE click to fire Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick _ (ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) For i = 1 To Cells(Rows.Count, 1).En...

updatable and changable row source
In my form that contain one text box (unbound) at the top and one list box in down, when I start the typing in the text box the row source of list box that is the query that depend on the text box (parameter) automatically updated and show the records in the list box. Best regards. Masoud wrote: >In my form that contain one text box (unbound) at the top and one list box in >down, when I start the typing in the text box the row source of list box that >is the query that depend on the text box (parameter) automatically updated >and show the records in the list box. Tha...

How to protect a cell or rows with MS excel 2000
Hello, Lets say for example I have a formula in row a1 and column a1 and some text in a1 and d1. What I would like to know how would I protected which I mean if I let others use my spreadsheet I want to not let people change any info in that individual cells. I read that I could use a 0 for unlock and a one to lock but I am not sure how to do this. Can someone show me the steps to make this work. Thanks for your help Jack, By default all cells in excel are protected or locked, select the cells you want to unlock and go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, the go to tools, prote...

Shades of Grey
I am trying to create a bar chart with black and shades of grey. The black prints as a medium grey and a light grey prints as white. Is this an Excel problem or a printer problem? I would say it was a printer problem - have you go the printer set to 'draft' as that makes black a light gray. Try changing it to an image setting and see if that changes the shades of gray -- John MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003 Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders) "Silver" wrote: > I am trying to create a ...

Splitting a single row into multiple copies
I have a very weird situation that I'm hoping some of you might have seen (and possibly resolved). We're migrating data from one system to another and the business rules have changed. System 1 allowed a user to create a record for an item with a quantity > 1. System 2 doesn't permit a quantity > 1 for certain items. Is there a way to create multiple rows in the source table (or an intermediate table) based on a list of item types which are not allowed to have a quantity > 1? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Joel ...

Insert a specific number of rows
What would be the correct syntax of inserting a specific number of rows below the active cell? For instance 4 or 5 rows? -- Thanx in advance, Best Regards, Faraz Hi Faraz, Try the following. Note that a space and underscore at the end of a line is a line break in an otherwise single line of code. Range(ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0), _ ActiveCell.Offset(5, 0)) _ .EntireRow.Insert -- Regards, OssieMac "Faraz A. Qureshi" wrote: > What would be the correct syntax of inserting a specific number of rows below > the active cell? For instance ...

calendar shading
Is there a way to shade the bars that appear on a printed calendar so it is more readable? The way my Outlook 2000 is printing currently it is difficult to read. Dave French I'm not sure which bars you're referring to, so I can't answer your question directly. But many people find that the built in print styles in Outlook don't meet their needs. You might want to take a look at some free Word templates that use your Outlook calendar data to create a calendar in Word, which you can then customize to your liking. I personally use My Outlook Calendar and am very pleased wit...

Autofit row height on a merged cell
If I select autofit row height on a single cell then wrap text no matter how much I type into the cell the row height automatically adjusts to fit, I have followed the same procedure on merged cells but the row height does not adjust accordingly it stays as a single standard row height. Is there any way around this so that the row height automatically adjust with the amount of text I type into a merged cell ??? Thanks Mike Wrap text works on merged cells. Autoheight does not. You can resize manually or via Macro. Jim Rech has written code for this. http://groups.google.com/groups?...

find row and delete
I need some help getting Excel to find a row based on a criteria in the cell and then deleting the row. For example, how could I get Excel to find any cell in column A that has "alpha" in the cell to delete the entire row? I have this from a previous post, which gets me almost there, but I need it to ignore the first 10 rows (ie-any "alpha" in the first ten rows stay). I tried to modify the range to Range("a10:a10000") but it didn't work. Public Sub test() line2: Range("a10").Activate On Error GoTo line1 Cells.Find(what:="alpha").Activa...

Summing Alternate Rows
We have spreadsheets with many rows and need to sum alternate rows. Is there a way to do this without entering a formula using the number of each row? -- KarenQ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ KarenQ's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19608 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395115 Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18),2)=1),$A$1:$A$18) That formula sums odd-row values in the range A1:A18. To sum even-row values the formula is: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18...

Multiple Background Shades in Graph
Hi, I'm trying to create graph with multiple background shades. i.e if i were trying to create a graph of the price of a stock, when the stock has had an upward trend the background would be a different color than that of when the stock has had a downward trend. Also if the colors of the background would only be on top of the stock plot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, ask72883 ...

Count displayed rows when using filters
Is there a set of worksheet functions analogous to the COUNTx functions, but that count only data dislayed when using AutoFilter Solutions involving SUBTOTALS, or specially coded value in various columns are not feasible due to the data sequence and dynamic requirements of the application Feasible solutions will include worksheet functions and formulae for use within the functions, as well as instructions on (or pointers to instructions on) how to create my own set of functions Does anybody know why this capability is so elusive in standard Excel Thanks in advanc Bobb Other than VBA, u...

Row Height-Auto Adjust to Content?
Hi everyone, Is it possible to set Excel Rows to automatically adjust to the content in any rows? I'm working on a significantly large excel sheet and prefer to print only one sheet of paper across; however I'm trying to squeeze a couple more columns in there that might overflow to the next sheet across. I'm thinking of shrinking the columns' width of some columns to compromise the space for couple columns that I'm adding. But as you know, some Addresses are short and some are long. I don't want to increase the height of all rows when I decrease th...

Formula to hide rows
Can I use a formula to hide rows without a value in specific columns? i.e. Hide all rows with no value in column B Hi not possible with formulas. This would require VBA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "D" <D@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:5BC90ABD-9428-4E3C-9AED-44186CFD5254@microsoft.com... > Can I use a formula to hide rows without a value in specific columns? > i.e. Hide all rows with no value in column B ...

Append multiple rows using DMax
Hello All, I think this can be done but I'm not sure. I want to be able to transfer multiple lifts to another table and assign them a new primary key at the same time, it's not working. I know I am missing something or maybe it really can't be done this way? I THINK it has to do with the queries that use transactions. Below is the code I am playing with but can't make it work. There are lot of lines not in use but I fgured I should post all of the left that I was playing with. Dim Msg, Style, Title, Response, MyString Dim NewMaterialID As Long ...

Adding the values on even rows/odd rows.
please refer to this post to prevent dupilcates http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322724 Huh? Dave. ...

Programming a button to add a row
I have a spreadsheet that will require the user to enter data in the cells (B6:J6). I would like to add a button that will add another line below row 6, containing the same formatting. I would like the sheet to have the ability to add up to 5 additional lines (Row 11). Thanks Jeff I'm actually going to try and use a user form to accomplish my task, no need to reply. Thank you "JeffK" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet that will require the user to enter data in the cells > (B6:J6). I would like to add a button that will add another line below row &g...

Question: Automatically Filling Cells by Identifying Row
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0024_01C49C21.24802C10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I've made a fax sheet in excel with a number of blocks to be filled. Company name, ph#, fax number, part #, etc. All this information is present on another sheet when I input my order. = The first column on that sheet is my Purchase Order Number (IE TT4153). The rest of the row contains the product description, Company name, ph#, fax number, part #, etc... Here is what I would like to be able...

how to shade a paragraph with bullets without gaps in the shade
I want to highlight paragraphs with colour and border. When the paragraph inlcudes a sentence and a bulleted list the shading has a gap. How can i get the shade to surround the whole paragraph? A single paragraph cannot include a bulleted list - at least not using the bullet and numbers facility. You would need to use Shift enter and mock up your list with bullet characters and tabs. You can then treat the resulting block as a single paragraph. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Gra...

Shading protected cells
Using Excel 2003 on Windows XP, I would like to see at a glance which cells are Locked and which are not, by automatically shading the background of just the Locked cells. How can I do that? If that's too hard, is there any other way I can quickly tell which cells are Locked, for example looking at a status line as I move the cursor over the cells? or any other way that's faster than opening Format/Cells/Protection on each cell one at a time? - Rich Rich, here is one way with a macro, Sub Highlight_Locked_Cells() 'will color all locked cells in the sheet Dim Cel As...