Shading Rows and/or Columns in an Excel Table

I created a financial table with interest rates on the first row an
time periods on the first column. For each combination of interest rat
and time period, I've computed a future value factor. What I'd like t
do is this - when I click on a certain interest rate, the column for i
will change to a different color, and when I click on a certain period
the row for it will change to the same color. It will then be easier t
locate the future value factor - one that lies in the intersection o
the highlighted row and column.  Thanks in advance for your help

--
Nerdzo
Nerdzoo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1542

You can download Chip Pearson Row-Liner add-in:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

first row and
>time periods on the first column. For each combination
of interest rate
>and time period, I've computed a future value factor.
What I'd like to
>do is this - when I click on a certain interest rate,
the column for it
>will change to a different color, and when I click on a
certain period,
>the row for it will change to the same color. It will
then be easier to
>locate the future value factor - one that lies in the
intersection of

---------------
>Nerdzoo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?
action=getinfo&userid=15429
>View this thread:
>
>.

0
jasonjmorin (551)

Autofiltering not working in certain columns
I have a spreadsheet with 15 columns and 130 rows. The autofilter drop list arrows work fine in some columns and in other columns they refuse to function. In the latter columns when youclick on a drop list arrow it just blinks, no list falls down. I have been unable to find any common reason why the autofilter list won' t appear in these columns. I am using Excel 2001 for Macintosh. Thank you for any help someone can provide. ...

Wrapping text in column
In Excell 2007, how do you set a column to wrap text? I tried it and even though it seems to allow me to do it when I select column and check wrap text from Format Cells, it doesn't work. It only works when I select one cell and select wrap text. This is a bit irritating as I have many cells in a column to do this to. Thanks, Tom I find that this happens when I paste from Word. If I have the fields set as Vertical/Top and Wrap Text - then I paste any data from Word, it goes to Vertical/Bottom and NOT wrap text. If I paste data from my Textpad program that spans multiple line...

left far column plus and minus signs that expand rows
Hi, I have a file outputted to excel that has in the far left column, left of the row numbers, a plus or minus sign that seems to group about 3 rows every so many rows. Is there a way I can clear all this grouping? What is it? Thanks! --Randy Starkey It's grouping, Randy! :) Could be one of two methods: Data-->Group and Outline-->Clear Outline Data-->Subtotals-->Remove All ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Randy Starkey" <randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> wrote in message news:11b4v312lukv113@c...

remove shading when printing
I have a form in excel that has the unlocked cells (the ones to be filled out) shaded so they stand out to the user. (FWIW, the form is an application for services) When this form prints, I would like it to print simply with no highlighted cells showing. I want the text the user entered to show, but the background to not show. Secondly, I have a combo box in the upper left corner of the form called "choose office". The user selects the office, and based on the updates, the Address and phone/fax fields are filled in on the bottom of the form. I do not want this combo box ...

moving rows
I have a large report in tab or csv format that creates 3 rows of data in Excel that I want to move to a single row. Cut and paste will take forever. What can I do? Hi what delimiter is used in the *.csv file and what is set in your Windows registry? Some workarounds: - use 'Data - Text to columns' to separate the data - rename the *.csv file to *.txt as then the textimport wizard is started and you can specify the delimiter -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "cdshon" <cdshon@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:2A52D215-D555-4587-A8C...

Excel 2007 Graphs
There seems to be issues with Excel 2007 and graphing, i.e. it is slow to the point of being useless. I notice that there is a hotfix for this problem (KB938538), but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to download this without incurring a �199 cost? Anyone else noticed this and fixed it?? Thanks Rob Poor chart performance has been noted by many. It is one of the items we hope SR1 will address. What makes you think there is a charge for the hotfix? You just phone MS's local office and tell them you want it. A link on the KB938538 page gets you the local number (it showed me the C...

Hiding rows and columns in XL 07
How do I get the top column row, which contains only the column letters, and the row number, which is the narrow column to the left of Column A, to disappear when I print? thanks everyone for your help. -mlenard Click File > Page Setup > Sheet tab Uncheck "Row and Column headings" > OK (Its probably checked) Success? Hit the YES below -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:27,000 Files:200 Subscribers:70 xdemechanik --- "mlenard" wrote: > How do I get the top column row, which contains only the column letters, and > the row num...

Pivot Table Problem #3
I have just found out that Pivot Tables keep a history of old data and includes them with the new ones in the list for that particular data field, and because I only want the new data - I have to manually go in the drop down list for that data field and uncheck the old data so that it won't appear in the table. Does anyone know how to stop the old data from appearing in the drop down list so that it only shows the new data as options? This would help me a lot. Thanks in advance =) There's information here on clearing old items in a pivot table: http://www.contextures.com/xlP...

Stop row breaks
I have several cells formatted with text wrapping. The last row on the page sometimes breaks, leaving half of the text on the bottom of the first page and the remainder at the top of the next. I need to keep the text together without manually adjusting the page breaks. Is there a way to keep the row from breaking across two pages? Thanks for your help! Emily I have never seen excel print half of a cell, even with text wrapping. If you want, you can email me an example of your problem and I could look at it. Mary >-----Original Message----- >I have several cells formatted wi...

Counting data in columns
ok ive struggled with this all morning and i cant do it i have 2 columns A and B A can contain any of the following RTB, In Progress, Live B contains a Date but can also be empty I want to count column B (dates) where Column A is equal to RTB but i have no idea how to do this Example of Spreadsheet A B RTB 01/01/2003 Live 01/02/2003 RTB 01/02/2003 RTB 01/12/2003 Live 02/12/2003 RTB RTB 01/01/2003 Live 01/10/2003 Total RTB count ...

Macro to reveal three hidden rows each time it's clicked
Hi guys , Is it possible to create a macro which will reveal the next three hidden rows in excel every time a user clicks it? I've got a lot of hidden rows but I only want the next three to be displayed each time a user clicks the same button to activate the macro. I'd also like the cursor to then be placed in the first cell of the next three rows. Can you help? Many thanks, Keith Right click sheet tab>view code>insert this. Then DOUBLE click to fire Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick _ (ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) For i = 1 To Cells(Rows.Count, 1).En...

Saving in Excel #3
I have a problem that just started last week. When I modify a cell with new text I cannot save the file until I click off the cell. I used to be able to click save without clicking off the box. Can someone tell me how to fix this? The save icon is still enabled for me when I'm editting a cell. (I use xl2003.) You could try resetting the standard toolbar: tools|customize|toolbars tab select the Standard toolbar click reset be aware that any customized changes you've made to that toolbar will have to be recreated. ====== If that doesn't help, how about a test: Close excel wi...

updatable and changable row source
In my form that contain one text box (unbound) at the top and one list box in down, when I start the typing in the text box the row source of list box that is the query that depend on the text box (parameter) automatically updated and show the records in the list box. Best regards. Masoud wrote: >In my form that contain one text box (unbound) at the top and one list box in >down, when I start the typing in the text box the row source of list box that >is the query that depend on the text box (parameter) automatically updated >and show the records in the list box. Tha...

How to protect a cell or rows with MS excel 2000
Hello, Lets say for example I have a formula in row a1 and column a1 and some text in a1 and d1. What I would like to know how would I protected which I mean if I let others use my spreadsheet I want to not let people change any info in that individual cells. I read that I could use a 0 for unlock and a one to lock but I am not sure how to do this. Can someone show me the steps to make this work. Thanks for your help Jack, By default all cells in excel are protected or locked, select the cells you want to unlock and go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, the go to tools, prote...

Errors in Excel 2007 Calculation
Hi, I'm having problems with Excel 2007 When I total up a number of cells, the value that is shown is 0. For instance, totalling G3+j3+N3, I get 0. The referenced cells have values greater than zero Note: There is a notification of circular reference in one of the cells. However, I never encountered such a problem with previous versions of excel (zero value) Rgds Mike Tan This result would occur if you had text in the cells rather than numbers. Text is typically left-justified, rather than right-justified. Is that what you see? Another way of checking is t...

Integration Manager ODBC Driver for Excel
I'm trying to whrite an integration so that we can create Great Planes General Journals in Excel and post them via integration manager. I am however unable to find a driver or this. The excel drivers offered in version 9.0 do not read excel files created in excel 2003. Does anyone know of a driver that will allow integration manager to read an excel file with multiple tabs? If so, where do I get it? Use named ranges - each named range will appear as a table in ODBC HS -- www.DynExtra.com A resource for the Microsoft Dynamics Community Featuring FAQs, File Exchange and more Current ...

Shades of Grey
I am trying to create a bar chart with black and shades of grey. The black prints as a medium grey and a light grey prints as white. Is this an Excel problem or a printer problem? I would say it was a printer problem - have you go the printer set to 'draft' as that makes black a light gray. Try changing it to an image setting and see if that changes the shades of gray -- John MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003 Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders) "Silver" wrote: > I am trying to create a ...

Reports: Excel?
Can great plains generate reports in Excel file format? Or do you have to save it as a CSV or Txt (Tab) file first and then open it in Excel? Generally if you are using the report writer in Great Plains you have to use CSV or Txt as you suggest. Look at Smartlist to see if you can get the same information there. "spraycan77" wrote > Can great plains generate reports in Excel file format? Or do you have > to save it as a CSV or Txt (Tab) file first and then open it in Excel? > > If you look at what they are doing around the product, you might get the idea that ...

Splitting a single row into multiple copies
I have a very weird situation that I'm hoping some of you might have seen (and possibly resolved). We're migrating data from one system to another and the business rules have changed. System 1 allowed a user to create a record for an item with a quantity > 1. System 2 doesn't permit a quantity > 1 for certain items. Is there a way to create multiple rows in the source table (or an intermediate table) based on a list of item types which are not allowed to have a quantity > 1? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Joel ...

How locate merged cells in Excel
I want to sort columns but some cells are merged. How do I locate the merged cells - or is there a way of unmerging all merged cells? Select all cells and hit the "merge" button, just like you were going to merge those cells. If there are any merged cells within your workbook it will unmerge them first. -- Regards, Dave "LESTEREDEN" wrote: > I want to sort columns but some cells are merged. How do I locate the merged > cells - or is there a way of unmerging all merged cells? ...

Saving Excel file sequentially
I have a "template" Excel workbook that, whenever I save it, it must be saved with a unique and sequential file name. How can I achieve this by means of macros or is there any other way of automating this function? You'll have to keep track of the last number used some how. If the template is used by lots of people, you could have a text file in the same folder that keeps track. If it's only used by you, maybe you could store that number in your windows registry. You may want to look at how J.E. McGimpsey does it: http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html He ...

Insert a specific number of rows
What would be the correct syntax of inserting a specific number of rows below the active cell? For instance 4 or 5 rows? -- Thanx in advance, Best Regards, Faraz Hi Faraz, Try the following. Note that a space and underscore at the end of a line is a line break in an otherwise single line of code. Range(ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0), _ ActiveCell.Offset(5, 0)) _ .EntireRow.Insert -- Regards, OssieMac "Faraz A. Qureshi" wrote: > What would be the correct syntax of inserting a specific number of rows below > the active cell? For instance ...

Select only columns with contents
Hi, i have a table with over 20 columns. I need a select statement what return only columns with contents I hope you understand it. My english isn't so good Thanks SQL-Server 2000 Holger Schr�ter (HolgerSchrter@discussions.microsoft.com) writes: > i have a table with over 20 columns. > I need a select statement what return only columns with contents > > I hope you understand it. My english isn't so good I'm afraid that that is not a request that makes much sense. A SELECT statement produces a fixed number of columns, and you cannot decide that som...

Creating a registration table list based on an existing table
Hi, I have an access database that contains transactional tables which I cannot alter. There is a table called invoice. This has ClientId, ClientName and ItemNumber. The ClientID is a ten digit number while the ClientName is a business name. There are no extra fields that I can use in it. I want to create a form that will enable the staff to keep track of registration. A registration is initiated when an invoice on a client is created with the itemnumber being College. Right now, people are keeping track of attendees using a spreadsheet but I want to create a table that contain...

calendar shading
Is there a way to shade the bars that appear on a printed calendar so it is more readable? The way my Outlook 2000 is printing currently it is difficult to read. Dave French I'm not sure which bars you're referring to, so I can't answer your question directly. But many people find that the built in print styles in Outlook don't meet their needs. You might want to take a look at some free Word templates that use your Outlook calendar data to create a calendar in Word, which you can then customize to your liking. I personally use My Outlook Calendar and am very pleased wit...