Separating data in a column

the spreadsheet i am working on has 1 column with 2 possible answers, i.e.
yes/no. what i need to do is separate the replies and then total the yes
replies in another cell and also total no replies in a different cell. How do
i do it?

The following COUNTIF function can be used
=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$21,"yes")
The sort or data filter command can be used to separate the replies.

"Gemgirl" wrote:

> the spreadsheet i am working on has 1 column with 2 possible answers, i.e.
> yes/no. what i need to do is separate the replies and then total the yes
> replies in another cell and also total no replies in a different cell. How do
> i do it?
Hi,
if you want to see only the yes you can filter the column, th have the total
by yes or no, enter in a cell Yes, let's say in C1 and in C2 enter No, then
in D1 assuming that the yes or no are in column B starting in B2 enter

=COUNTIF(B2:B5000,"Yes")

in D2 to count the No enter

=COUNTIF(B2:B5000,"No")

"Gemgirl" wrote:

> the spreadsheet i am working on has 1 column with 2 possible answers, i.e.
> yes/no. what i need to do is separate the replies and then total the yes
> replies in another cell and also total no replies in a different cell. How do
> i do it?

Totalling columns and repeating formulas in new entries
i'm working in excel 2003 i've tried searching this, but have come up with nothing. it seems s basic, i'm sure i must be calling it the wrong thing or something. in my worksheet (that's what a spreadsheet is called now, isn't it?) enter expenses in column "e" and revenues in column "i", with the ne gain or loss for that row (entry) showing up in column "j". i had n problem setting that up. the first problem i'm having is the formulas and formatting bein copied to the next entry. some of the new entries have no value i column "e&...

How to create a single line separated by commas from a matrix?
Hello, I've the following problem. I've a table made of several columns. Each colum represents a characteristic regarding to a subject (e.g. Name, Surname, Home Street, etc...). In the rows I put the different people. I need to export these info to a format compatible with other program - an email program-, which requires the information to be arranged in a different way. The program needs all these data to be ordered in a single row, with each characteristic between quotation marks, and separated by commas, following this pattern: "characteristic 1","characteristic ...

auto fill data from cells
i would like to be able to enter text data in cells in column b on 6 different worksheets and then have a seventh worksheet that will display all of the text data from the six different sheets on it. So, if i list 40 words in b5 thru b45(one word per cell) on all six sheets, i would like to see all 240 words on the seventh sheet(total "catch all" sheet) Any help would be greatly appreciatiated. thanks dude On the 7th sheet, in cell A1 ='Sheet1'!B5 fill the formula down to A40 On the 7th sheet, in cell B1 ='Sheet2'!B5 and again fill the formula down to B40 R...

Separate inboxes for separate accounts
How can I separate incoming e-mail from separate e-mail accounts into folders so I can tell where incoming mail came from? Using Outlook 2000. >-----Original Message----- >How can I separate incoming e-mail from separate e-mail >accounts into folders so I can tell where incoming mail >came from? Using Outlook 2000. >. > I'm a novice but I just ask that question and dl@spoofmail.com gave me the following advice: It is done with rules. 1st create your folders (sounds like you've done that.) Then select Tools / rules & alerts / New Rule... This brings up...

Checking if a cell is filled up with data
Hi! I would like to write a function that checks if a cell is empty or if it has any kind of data. The kind of datas (numbers or words or bocth) is irrelevant. The only thing that is important is whether or not the cell is empty. Has anyone an idea how I could write such a function? Thanks -- xpucto ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xpucto's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23748 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=374119 =IF(A1="","",A1) Enter this f...

Master image to use in separate sheets?
Hello All, Does anyone know if there is a way to tell Excel to use the same image/background for each sheet, instead of needing to import for each one? Or is there a way to set up a (similiar to Power Point/Master slide). Thanks in advance, drew If it's just for one workbook, I'd have a master worksheet in that workbook that I could just copy. If it's for lots of workbooks, I'd set up a workbook with one sheet that had that background the way I wanted it. Then save this workbook as a Template (let the folder default to excel's favorite). Tnen when you rightclick on...

Import data 04-19-04
I need import some documents(WORD, PDF...) into the "annotation" table. This is a one time running utility routine. I found that the API I need is in microsoft.crm.platform.proxy.dll. Anyone know what I should do next? Can I just copy the .dll to some place, and add the reference to VB.net application? I read on a document that I couldn't write the documents directly to SQL server table. Thanks. ...

Getting external data filters
I have successfully generated queeries to import data in my spreadsheets, but I don't know if I can or how to do something. My filtering data can change because it is personnel based, so I want to know if I can generate a queery that will allow the user to define the filters without having to redo the queery every time someone moves out of the respective work section or a new person joins. Basically, can I have a data entry area for them to list employees and have a queery reference this list to sort out the new data for only those people? Is there another way to do it? I am learning a...

Separating a comma separated list
Not having a great deal of experience with macros, I thought I might see if I could pick the brains of the group. I have to essentially break out a comma separated text string in a single cell into a vertical list, with a reference number thrown in for good measure. Example. Data I have: A B 1 NUMBER RESOURCE 2 101 Smith John,Jones Adam,Brown Philip,Greene Thomas 3 102 Smith John,Jackson Arthur Needs to look like: A B 1 NUMBER RESOURCE 2 101 Smith John 3 101 Jones Adam 4 101 Brown Philip 5 101 Gr...

$ large amount of Data.
Hi, I've been working on quite a large worksheet, and after about 5000 rows, I realized I forget to hit F4 and $$ the referenced cells. Is there a way to highlight a large area, and have it do the whole thing at once? Thanks, Confused Man Hi! Take a look at this: http://tinyurl.com/5pp4q Biff >-----Original Message----- >Hi, >I've been working on quite a large worksheet, and after about 5000 rows, I >realized I forget to hit F4 and $$ the referenced cells. Is there a way to >highlight a large area, and have it do the whole thing at once? > >Thanks, ...

unable to paste excel format data in mail body!!
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Email Client: Exchange Loosing all formatting when i try to copy & paste an excel data in email body....pls suggest a solution. Entourage does not support the creation of rich HTML messages. You can simply attach your spreadsheet to the email message as an attachment, or you can, while in Excel, click on File>Send To>Mail Recipient (as HTML). Note that this method only works if Entourage is set up as your default e-mail application. On 10/02/10 8:49, Dhillon@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 ...

Keeping data current
How are others making sure your account and contact information is up to date? John ...

Data Protection
Where are in the process of implementing CRM and have a number of concerns relating to Data Protection. Is there any data protection experts out there who could advice on any question we might have ? Thanks ...

Varying data on X axis
Hi all, I have a graph that includes a lot of data, it looks messy hard to see individual points. I would like to be able to vary the amount of data points shown at anyone time on the x axis. I have had a look at adding a scrollbar, but I can only get that to increase the number of points shown. I want to be able to set a limit to the number of points shown at any one time. So if I have 1000 data points I want to able to view points 1 - 100, then 2 - 101, 3 - 102 up to 901 - 1000. Hope I have explained myself properly, I appreciate any help I can get. -- coa01gsb -----------------------...

Separating strings in a field to separate fields
Hi, I have a field that consists of a string value that looks like Item1, Item2, Item3, each item is separated by commas. I want to separate that string value so that each item has its own field. Is there code that will easily do this? Thanks, Jaime On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 12:08:57 -0800 (PST), jseger22@yahoo.com wrote: >Hi, > >I have a field that consists of a string value that looks like Item1, >Item2, Item3, each item is separated by commas. I want to separate >that string value so that each item has its own field. Is there code >that will easily do this? > >Thank...

Data Series question #2
Hi, I have a line chart with 2 data series. One for actual balance and one for budgeted balance. The y-axis is $ amount, the x-axis is month. There are 12 points on the x-axis. (Jan to Dec). I have 12 data points for the budgeted balance. I'm using a dynamically named range for the # of data points for the actual balance series based on the current accounting month. (Jan shows 1 point, Feb shows 2 points etc.) I'm trying to add a 3rd series for Projected balance which would start where the actual balance stops. I have another dynamically names range as the data source. I have...

Archiving data
I already have an archived file from a few years ago. It it possible to create another archive that will just add to that original file? Or do I just have to create another one? Brian In microsoft.public.money, Brian wrote: >I already have an archived file from a few years ago. It >it possible to create another archive that will just add >to that original file? No. > Or do I just have to create >another one? No. You don't really have to do that either. You *could* do neither. >Subject: Archiving data >From: "Brian" anonymous@discussions.microso...

Launch Oulook Express Newsreader separately
Hi I use Outlook Express as my newsreader. My problem is that in order to access it, I need to first launch Outlook. Is there some way I can launch the newsreader portion of OE without launching Outlook? A command line switch or something I imagine. I'm using Outlook XP with OE 6 on Windows XP pro. Thanks I believe the command-line switch is /newsonly. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "aJax&...

Required field with deleted data
Hi, I have a one field continuous form that gets its data from a one-field table. The field is unique and required. The form also has a command “Close” button. I really have problems with the “On Event” order of things. If a person goes to a new record and starts to enter data and then deletes it by using the backspace or delete key and then leaves the record by 1) clicking on another record, 2) clicking on the “Close” button or 3) presses the “Enter” key. I get the Access error message because the field is required. If the new record is blank, I want to prevent the error message an...

Returning a value if data is in a large list
I think you use a IF function but I am not sure. I have two large lists of numbers. The lists are in columns A and C with columns B and D blank. In B, I want to insert an "X" if the number in column A next to it is somewhere in column C. I tried =IF(A2=C:C,"X","") and =IF(A2=C2;C1000,"X","") but they do not work. Is there a way I can do this? One way: =IF(COUNTIF(C:C,A1)>0,"x","") Another way: =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,C:C,0)),"x","") I like the second way. It'll be faster for larger lists ...

YAPTQ: Mixed data types in custom groups (Excel 2003)
Hello, I'm trying to get the following accomplished in Excel 2003: I have a column in a table that keeps track of how late a form was turned in. It can have an integer (for the number of days it was late) or one of several text strings ("On time," "Cannot determine," "Outside report dates.") I need to be able to generate the totals for: On time or within 7 days late, 8-15 days, More than 15 days Cannot determine Outside report dates It seems like it should be a straightforward procedure, where one can specify a range of numbers, or a list of values, but I ...

?-Change data series range as data is entered?
I have a chart which shows a prediction curve and an actual curve. The prediction curve runs out until the end of a project. The actual curve is populated as data is entered. I will be generating a number of these charts from a datatable. I would like to plot the prediction curve for the duration of the project (easy). I would then like to plot the actual curve with only the existing data and not have the line drop to the x-axis at the end. Can I put a formula in the data series "x values" field? I hope that my description makes sense..... Thanks, Carl -- isofuncurves ---...

Count cells in a column that contain dates
Column J contains dates in some cells, and text in others. I need to count the number of cells in this one column that contains dates. How can I do this? If the only cells that are in that column that are numeric (like dates), you can use: =count(a:a) (Dates are just numbers formatted nicely in excel.) Cachod1 wrote: > > Column J contains dates in some cells, and text in others. I need to count > the number of cells in this one column that contains dates. How can I do > this? -- Dave Peterson ...

Creating Invoice with filtered data
I have a template that is uses three sheets of data to calculate costs and then the fourth sheet is the invoice. I would like the invoice to automatically enter the line item costs for which there is a charge. For example, there are four item charges that are standard for every invoice but these come after the primary charges. The list of primary charges may consist of one line item or ten. I have been using a basic formula IF(ISTEXT(Quote!$B4),Quote!$B4,"") but then I have to manually enter all of the standard charges. I would like to enter a formula that will see that there ar...

Column Heading Query
I am using Outlook 2003. I have created an extra folder to move sent items into. There is no 'To' column displayed. I have been able to create a 'To' column. But, the 'To' address of each entry is not displayed in this column. How do I achieve this objective? TIA "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:h9bkks$kfh$1@lust.ihug.co.nz... >I am using Outlook 2003. > I have created an extra folder to move sent items into. > There is no 'To' column displayed. > I have been able to create a 'To' column. > But,...