selection criteria

Hi

I have two rows of data (header and data row) and I am trying to select only data matching the following criteria

If the data cell is empty, do not include cell or corresponding header cell in selection

Example

header1   header2   header
data1                        data

selection should return {A1, A2, C1, C2

I know I can select blank cells by using "Edit", "Go To" ,"special" and then "blanks", but what I am looking for is the inverse of that selection with additional cells discluded based on any value in the cell directly below it. My explanation might not make much sense but I hope the above example is enough to illustrate my problem

Any help much appreciate
/Greg
0
anonymous (74722)

I assume you're looking for a way to do this manually.  I don't see anyway
that is more efficient than doing a Ctrl-click.  It's easy enough to select
the row 2 cells with Goto Special and Constants (or Formulas if that's what
they are).  But I don't think there is any good way to extend those selected
cells up one row.  There is a bad (slow) way by tabbing to each selected
cell and pressing Shift-Up).

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

0
jrrech (1933)
11/19/2003 1:07:24 PM
Thank you for your reply

It's quite tedious to do the selections manually as the row extends through heaps and heaps of cells. I was hoping for a way to do the selection through a function in excel but I doubt there is one as it's a conditional selection based on values and relationships between cells. Perhaps there's a third party product you could do this with

Once agai

heading1    heading2   heading
data1            data2

The selection should be heading1 and data1, heading2 and data2

Cheer
/Greg
0
anonymous (74722)
11/19/2003 10:56:04 PM
I don't know if you're familiar with macros, Greg, but they are extremely
powerful and can greatly extend and enhance Excel's built-in capabilities.
Here's a macro that I think does what you want.  Open the VBE (Alt-F11),
insert a module, and paste this code into it:

Sub GregsSelect()
    Dim Cell As Range
    Dim NewRg As Range
    For Each Cell In Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
        If Cell.Offset(1).Value <> "" Then
            If NewRg Is Nothing Then
                Set NewRg = Cell.Resize(2)
            Else
                Set NewRg = Union(NewRg, Cell.Resize(2))
            End If
        End If
    Next
    If Not NewRg Is Nothing Then NewRg.Select
End Sub

Then you can close the VBE.  Select all of the first row of your two row
data range.  Press Alt-F8 to open the macros dialog and run this macro.
This assumes that the first row consists of constants (not formulas), by the
way.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

0
jrrech (1933)

Run report on multi selected records.

Can't select objects in Excel 2007

Sumif with two criteria #2
I need to add column c if column a and column b both meet my criteria. example A B C 1 X Y 3 2 S Y 1 3 X Y 2 4 X F 3 5 F Y 3 X AND Y 5 On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:06:29 -0800, "danperez@joannstores.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to add column c if column a and column b both meet >my criteria. > >example > A B C >1 X Y 3 >2 S Y 1 >3 X Y 2 >4 X F 3 >5 F ...

Select contact then hangs

Option Buttons to Pass Criteria to Query
Hello, I have a form that has some unbound controls that pass criteria to a query that displays in the lower half of the form. One of the fields I have criteria for is a yes/no field called invalidEmail. The values are yes if the email is invalid; no if the email is valid. In the query, I want the user to be able to display (1) only records with invalid emails or (2) only records with valid emails or (3) all records. I tried a form checkbox where in the query, the criterion is forms.fm__.checkbox, but that will only give me displays 1 and 2. So, I tried 3 option buttons, but b...

Selecting rows from various sheets

select text in Calendar

Link select with a blast

Counting number of records based on criteria
Hello, (Try again to get the question in the google-groups. Perhaps not pushed on the send button). For counting records as expression in a report in ms.access I'm using =count(*) which shows all records. Now I also want to know how many of them has registered a specific data in a specific field. I'm trying to use =count([Field1]="999") to count how many of the selection reported has registered data 999. This option isn't work. Can somebody give me the correct solution. thanks, Johan The 999 needs to go in the criteria for the query driving the...

Select Case in a Change Event

counting cells with two criteria
Ive got a spreadsheet that I need to find the number of cells in column G that fit between two different criteria. The criteria are two numbers that may change in cell a2 and a3. So that if i change a2 or a3 i will get a new number in the cell with this formula. I dont need the numbers summed. Just the number of times the numbers fit. Thanks in advance. Chad Try the following formula =SUMPRODUCT(--(G1:G100>=A2),--(G1:G100<=A3)) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "USChad" <USChad@discussions.mi...

Select Records based another table...

Multi-Select List Box Does Not Retain Selected Items
I created an Outlook Form in 2003. But when I select items in the list box they do not remain select when I select another control on the form. Any suggestions? Did you bind the list box to a keywords field? -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "kaykay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:276dd01c4638d$bd5af590$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I created an Outlook Form in 2003. But when I select > items i...

VBA
I am very new to VBA and access and have a question regarding a SELECT statement. I am going to run a select (recordset - so I can loop through and process each record) but on my SELECT I want to make sure I return at least 20 rows, otherwise I am going to change my WHERE clause to include more rows. Is there an easy way to do this or do I need to just do an inital SELECT COUNT(*) and then decide which WHERE clause to use?? Do you have an example I can look at? Thank you in advance! AJ On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:14:00 -0800, AJ <AJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: I would not first ...

Drop down list quicker selection
We are using Excel 2003 We created a drop down list using the Data\Validation process, which works fine. When the arrow within a cell is clicked on to show the drop down list, how can you quickly select one of the many names in the list just by typing the first character of a name within the list. At the moment, we have to scroll up and down the list to select a particular name, which in itself isn't a problem, but slows down the process of finding the right name. Can the names within the list be alphabetically grouped when inputting the first character from the keyboard, and spee...

Change Form/Report Query Based on User Selection
I have a form and report based on a query. I need to change the query based on what the user selects on a form. Using VBA in MS Access 2002, can I change a single field in an existing query from GROUP BY to LAST? This process would be initiated by a click event on a form. Thanks in advance for any help. I would say only if you are willing to construct the entire query string in VBA and then apply that string as the source of the report. John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009 The Hilltop Institute University of Maryland Baltimore County Wayne wrote: > I have a form ...

Selected fields to update
I need to have the ability, in OL'07, when I try to copy in a contact and am told there is a duplicate, to be able to select which fields I want updated and which not. Is that possible built-in or add-in? -- Boris You may find this of interest - ContactGenie DataPorter 2.0 - specifically handles updating of pre-existing contacts allowing you to define which fields you want to import/update from your input data file (custom forms/fields supported). Features: http://www.contactgenie.com/cg20features.htm Download" http://www.contactgenie.com/cg20dlorder.htm Karl _...

How do I find the currently selected Scenario?
Hi, Maybe this is a simple thing, but I don't seem to be able to track it down. I have an Excel sheet with a couple of Scenarios defined. I am trying to implement some VBA functions where I need to know which Scenario is currently selected. Does anyone know how I determine the active Scenario from VBA? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Best regards. hi, (?) > Maybe this is a simple thing, but I don't seem to be able to track it down. > I have an Excel sheet with a couple of Scenarios defined. > I am trying to implement some VBA functi...

Moving information to another sheet with multip-le criteria
Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. I am still trying to learn excel and am struggling. I have an order form for supplies that is updated monthly for various facilities. I want to store the information from each order onto separate sheets, according to facility and month. The order form is set up like this: Facilty Name Date of Order Product ID Product Name Quanity Wanted Unit Price Total I want the Quantity Wanted, Unit Price, and Total transferred to a worksheet for the corresponding facility. Each facility sheet has a list of the products. I wa...

Criteria for select query.
I have Access2003. I need a criteria expression to select certain data from a query QryLedgerTxns. When the ledger is reconciled with the bank statement, that statement date is manually entered into a QryLedgerTxns field called "DateStatement". The "DateStatement" field matches a ledger transaction field called "Withdrawal" My aim is to add up all the sums in the "Withdrawal" field *not* reconciled with the bank statement. The "Withdrawal" field is currency. The "DateStatement" field is Date/time. Therefo...

set a variable to value in a select statement
I know how to do this: SET @total = (SELECT SUM(Salary) FROM Employee) But is it possible to do soemthing like this without 2 separate SET statements?: SET @total, @tipstotal = (SELECT SUM(Salary), SUM(Tips) FROM Employee) If so, how? SELECT @total = SUM(Salary), @tipstotal = SUM(Tips) FROM Employee Tom "Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in message news:utAHRun$KHA.5536@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I know how to do this: > > SET @total = (SELECT SUM(Salary) FROM Employee) > > But is it possible to do soemthing like this with...

I would like to be able to make a search of contacts that have certain parameters set for: - the contact - the account Is there a way to create such questions? Mattias On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:38:02 -0700, Kyhlan <Kyhlan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to be able to make a search of contacts that have certain >parameters set for: >- the contact >- the account Out of the box MS CRM can not do this. Are there other add-ons that could make this possible? Mattias "Steve Withers" wrote: > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:38:02 -0700, Kyhlan > <Ky...