Select Specific Data From Cells For A Chart

I have a spreadsheet that has a row that I want to use as a data range in a
chart. The cells in the row contain three numbers on the left and three
letters on the right. I can select just the three numbers by using
“LEFT(A1:Z1,3)”. How do I use that formula to select just the three numbers
for the data range in the chart?

Note that your formula is incorrect in what you think it does, the LEFT
function cannot reference a range of cells.

To reference the first 3 cells in a row:
=OFFSET(A1,,,,3)

To reference cells C1:E1 would be:
=OFFSET(A1,,2,,3)

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
>I have a spreadsheet that has a row that I want to use as a data range in a
> chart. The cells in the row contain three numbers on the left and three
> letters on the right. I can select just the three numbers by using
> "LEFT(A1:Z1,3)". How do I use that formula to select just the three
> numbers
> for the data range in the chart?

0
Luke
5/20/2010 7:17:40 PM
Well it looks like the LEFT command can’t be used for a range of cells. But
what I need to do is basically capture the first three charters in the cells
(numbers) and ignore the last three (text). And use only the numbers for the
data range in the chart.

"Luke M" wrote:

> Note that your formula is incorrect in what you think it does, the LEFT
> function cannot reference a range of cells.
>
> To reference the first 3 cells in a row:
> =OFFSET(A1,,,,3)
>
> To reference cells C1:E1 would be:
> =OFFSET(A1,,2,,3)
>
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> Luke M
> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a spreadsheet that has a row that I want to use as a data range in a
> > chart. The cells in the row contain three numbers on the left and three
> > letters on the right. I can select just the three numbers by using
> > "LEFT(A1:Z1,3)". How do I use that formula to select just the three
> > numbers
> > for the data range in the chart?
>

> .

Don't try to be clever and use the original range in the chart. You're
going to have to use a nearby range to hold the values to be plotted.
Use whatever function you need in this range to extract the numerical
values from the original range. Then plot this new range in the chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

On 5/20/2010 4:40 PM, Dave wrote:
> Well it looks like the LEFT command can’t be used for a range of cells. But
> what I need to do is basically capture the first three charters in the cells
> (numbers) and ignore the last three (text). And use only the numbers for the
> data range in the chart.
>
> "Luke M" wrote:
>
>> Note that your formula is incorrect in what you think it does, the LEFT
>> function cannot reference a range of cells.
>>
>> To reference the first 3 cells in a row:
>> =OFFSET(A1,,,,3)
>>
>> To reference cells C1:E1 would be:
>> =OFFSET(A1,,2,,3)
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Luke M
>> "Dave"<Dave@discussions.microsoft.com>  wrote in message
>>> I have a spreadsheet that has a row that I want to use as a data range in a
>>> chart. The cells in the row contain three numbers on the left and three
>>> letters on the right. I can select just the three numbers by using
>>> "LEFT(A1:Z1,3)". How do I use that formula to select just the three
>>> numbers
>>> for the data range in the chart?
>>

>> .

0
Jon
5/21/2010 3:23:53 AM
Jon,

Thanks, I though I might have to do that.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Don't try to be clever and use the original range in the chart. You're
> going to have to use a nearby range to hold the values to be plotted.
> Use whatever function you need in this range to extract the numerical
> values from the original range. Then plot this new range in the chart.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> http://peltiertech.com/
>

> On 5/20/2010 4:40 PM, Dave wrote:
> > Well it looks like the LEFT command can’t be used for a range of cells. But
> > what I need to do is basically capture the first three charters in the cells
> > (numbers) and ignore the last three (text). And use only the numbers for the
> > data range in the chart.
> >
> > "Luke M" wrote:
> >
> >> Note that your formula is incorrect in what you think it does, the LEFT
> >> function cannot reference a range of cells.
> >>
> >> To reference the first 3 cells in a row:
> >> =OFFSET(A1,,,,3)
> >>
> >> To reference cells C1:E1 would be:
> >> =OFFSET(A1,,2,,3)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best Regards,
> >>
> >> Luke M
> >> "Dave"<Dave@discussions.microsoft.com>  wrote in message
> >>

> >> .
> >>
> .

sort alphanumeric data
I have data with mix number of digits and I like to sort them. Somehow, the normal sorting process give me a not so desired result. Can anyone help? A10 B100 A2 AA1 AD200 A1 The result I am looking for is: A1 A2 A10 B2 B100 AD200 I think your example wasn't exactly right' look at the B2 and AA1 entries. But I assume you want to sort like the Excel row and column identifiers; I also assume there will be two alpha characters at most Go to the VB Editor (ALT+F11) Insert>Module Paste these two functions in the code window: Function PartOne(a As String) As String Dim i As Long For ...

Run report on multi selected records.

Excel 2007 and inverted charts
(sory for my language, I'm from Poland) Why Excel 2007 is doing inverted charts? For instant, please write in a1, b1, c1, d1 some text (a, b, c, d) and in next column (1, 2, 3, 4) and do chart. Excel do from 'd' to 'a', not from 'a' do 'd'. Why? Right click on the x-axis Open Format Axis and on the Axis Option tab experiment with "Categories in Reverse Order" best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "skuwka" <skuwka@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1181564334.992841.35080@p77g2000hsh...

move row data to columns
We had a problem with some test data and instead of test results being recorded in multiple rows 5 columns wide, all of the data was recorded in one row multiple columns wide. The data consists of 5 readings taken every second for a period of 2 hours. Each reading is in it's own cell (no cell contains more than one reading). Do you know of a way that I can move each set of readings (5 test results) into it's own 5 column wide row? i.e. currently shows in single row as: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 128, 128, 128, 128, 128, 234, 234, 234, 234, 234, etc. and I need in 5 column wide rows: 0, 0, 0, ...

Pivot Table Data
This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 006B899F86256E2F_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" I have a file that contains pivot tables along with some buttons and macros to change the way the pivot table looks depending on what type of information that you would like to view. The pivot table is based on data on a separate worksheet but is within the same workbook (separate tabs). If I change my data source (i.e. I change the names of individuals to new names) and refresh my pivot table, the information changes like I want it to. However, if I de...

Can't select objects in Excel 2007

When shading cells using the 'pattern' option, they print in grey.
When trying to print a 'pattern' in cell shading, it prints only as grey-scale solids. Do the patterns not print, or is it "averaging" the pattern into a solid? Printer dpi is 600, and appears as a pattern on Preview. ...

UK Fantasy Football Player Data?
Hi, Does anyone know where I can get hold of excel spreadsheets with player data for the forth coming UK Fantasy Football season? -- Rich http://www.ukfantasyfootball.info ...

Data Type Problem
Hi Experts In VC++, the maximum range for data type is 10 bytes which is the range for long double __int64 has 8 bytes range. Is there any data type which has range more than 10 bytes? Is there any data type which has range 16 bytes If not supported, then can i create my own data type which range should be more than 10 bytes? if yes then please reply thanks If you need to play with huge sections of numbers, you can always use a unsigned char array, and use bit shifting backwards and forwards for calculation (complex). Otherwise, for numbers there are other string ba...

Select contact then hangs

NTFS file meta data
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_008A_01CAFF1D.F88487D0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=original Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit How can I set the From, Subject, To properties of Outlook MSG files to display in a manner as EML files? I have folders of thousands of these files and would love to create a batch processors to do this. TIA Russ ------=_NextPart_000_008A_01CAFF1D.F88487D0 Content-Type: image/png; name="Capture.PNG" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Conte...

Exporting Specification sets in FRX
I'm attempting to export my FRX 6.5 specification sets and am having issues. When I attempt to export any .F32, it shows that there are no Catalogs in the file. I've tried just about every .F32 file on my server and haven't found my reports. Am I going about this process wrong? I'm just going in to FRX, clicking on company and going to specification sets. Then I set the location text box to the proper F32 file. Any clues would be much appreciated! Jeff, I'm not sure if you can't find a report to export, or if once you export the file, you can't find it to imp...

Data from multiple sheets and workbooks
Each week I receive a workbook from one of my customers. It contains mutliple sheets with salesnumbers from all the branch of my customer. Each sheet contains from 1 000 to 15 000 lines of salesdata. Every article sold gets one line in the sheets. Each workbook are named "weeknr.xls" and are stored in the same folder. Now my question/problem. I need to gather all sales info for one branch on one article from all the weeks. I know how to get the data from one workbook to another, but how do I get it to scan all the workbooks in the folder. Any ideas. Dim oFSO Sub LoopFolder...

Nudging Text Boxes in a Chart
Has anyone found a way to "nudge" data labels in a PPT chart? I know I can move them by clicking and dragging but when I try to use the arrow keys (as I do for objects) the cursor tabs to other areas in the chart. And when clicking and dragging the labels they seem to snap to a grid and I have very limited control over them. Thanks for any insights!! -- Trisha H No one has to "find a way", there are already several standard ways to accomplish that. :o) Turn off the "Snap Objects to Grid" (in 2003 View, Grid and Guides) or in that same loca...

Selecting rows from various sheets

select text in Calendar

Excel 2000
I used to have this option by right clicking and selecting split. However i don't have it now. I had it on WIN2000 and now I have XP proffesional Hi not possible in Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Roy S" <Roy S@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BE9E61EA-466E-4391-8400-5967977E9325@microsoft.com... > I used to have this option by right clicking and selecting split. However i > don't have it now. I had it on WIN2000 and now I have XP proffesional I bet you're thinking about a table in MSWord???? Roy S wrote: > &g...

Graphing only some of the data?
I have a spreadsheet with groups of repeating rows and cells that look something like this 1AA 1AB 1A 1BA 2BB 2B 1CA 1CB 1C 2AA 2AB 2A 2BA 2BB 2B 2CA 2CB 2C The rows/cells beginning with "1" make up one batch of data. The rows/cells beginning with "2" make up another. I add a new batch every week. I want to create a graph that captures only 1CC, 2CC, 3CC, 4CC, etc. There are always the same numbers of rows between the cells. I've thought about capturing 1CC, 2CC, 3CC, etc in a list in another area of the spreadsheet and graphing that list, but I don't ...

Can I add Java Data types in Microsoft Visio?
I want to design a UML diagram of a java application. Can i add Java data types in Microsoft Visio 2003? ...

Money 2004/05
I have recently purchased a new computer and installed Money onto the new computer (Money version says Copyright 2004, but I think it is 2005 version). I have then simply copied across the data files My Money Backup (Microsoft Money backup File) and my money backup2 (Microsoft Money file) to the new computer...For some reason I just cannot get Money to open the data files on the new computer. When I try to open the Money file, I receive the following message; "Money will convert your file so that you can work with it in Money. First, Money will make a copy of your original file, ...

Failure to connect to specific mail server
Hi All, We are running Exchange 2003 under SBS 2003 Prem. One of my users is having consistent problems sending email to a server, and it *appears* that the destination server is saying that our exchange server is using an incorrect syntax when transferring the email. I believe that this is not correct - we don't have the issue in general, but I would also like to get a second opinion from someone here who might know more than I do about email. The email domain is: bmw.co.nz Their mail server: smtp.bmw.co.nz Error: The server claims that the email address of the recipient is in...

Link select with a blast