Select range for function in a cell

Hi, is it possible to select create a formula in a cell. such as =SUM(
and have the cursor be between the () so the user can select th
appopriate range to enter?  Or would this just be done separately.
(Since one would need to know the range and WHERE to put the formul
in..ie. what cell)  similar to if you hit the autosum button but ther
are no numbers above or the left, it simply waits for the user t
select a range and then hits enter.

THanks!

Hi
if I understood you correctly: No

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> Hi, is it possible to select create a formula in a cell. such as
> =SUM() and have the cursor be between the () so the user can select
> the appopriate range to enter?  Or would this just be done
separately.
> (Since one would need to know the range and WHERE to put the formula
> in..ie. what cell)  similar to if you hit the autosum button but
there
> are no numbers above or the left, it simply waits for the user to
> select a range and then hits enter.
>
> THanks!!
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
5/17/2004 7:40:03 PM
If I understand what you're asking for, this could be accomplished by having
the user enter the range references into two separate cells.

For example, if you wanted the results of this formula;
=SUM(B10:C20)
to be returned in cell C21,
Enter this formula in C21:

=SUM(INDIRECT(A1&":"&A2))

Then, have the user enter
"B10" (no quotes)
in cell A1, and enter
"C20" (no quotes)
in cell A2.
--

HTH,

RD

"Fherrera >" <<Fherrera.16ew7o@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
Hi, is it possible to select create a formula in a cell. such as =SUM()
and have the cursor be between the () so the user can select the
appopriate range to enter?  Or would this just be done separately.
(Since one would need to know the range and WHERE to put the formula
in..ie. what cell)  similar to if you hit the autosum button but there
are no numbers above or the left, it simply waits for the user to
select a range and then hits enter.

THanks!!

---

ragdyer1 (4060)
5/17/2004 11:18:53 PM
Frank, you do our name an injustice... Just kidding :D

But it is possible through the help of the horrible horrible SENDKEYS(
function.

The procedure puts in the formula with some dummy range such as A1 an
then it uses keystrokes to get rid of A1 and then wait inside the (
brackets for the user to select a range...

I've heard many bad things about sendkeys() and as such was wonderin
what I should watch out for and if there is anyway to ensure it work
properly...

For example if I ran the macro in the VBE window it does the strokes i
the window so it obviously has to be run from the appropriat
spreadsheet window....

Thanks

Frank Herrer

Hi :-)
o.k. anything is possible but I won't use this in my spreadsheets :-)
I try to avoid Sendkeys i possible!

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> Frank, you do our name an injustice... Just kidding :D
>
> But it is possible through the help of the horrible horrible
> SENDKEYS() function.
>
> The procedure puts in the formula with some dummy range such as A1
and
> then it uses keystrokes to get rid of A1 and then wait inside the ()
> brackets for the user to select a range...
>
> I've heard many bad things about sendkeys() and as such was wondering
> what I should watch out for and if there is anyway to ensure it works
> properly...
>
> For example if I ran the macro in the VBE window it does the strokes
> in the window so it obviously has to be run from the appropriate
> spreadsheet window....
>
> Thanks
>
> Frank Herrera
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)

Run report on multi selected records.

When shading cells using the 'pattern' option, they print in grey.
When trying to print a 'pattern' in cell shading, it prints only as grey-scale solids. Do the patterns not print, or is it "averaging" the pattern into a solid? Printer dpi is 600, and appears as a pattern on Preview. ...

Can't select objects in Excel 2007

Function to multiple ranges
Which function may be used with multiple ranges? Commonly used "lookups", "index" and "match" don't seem to work. Is there a trick in multiple ranges? Tomek Polak Some functions work, others don't. INDEX has a 4th argument that allows you to specify the area (which of the multiple ranges). The lookup and match functions require a single contiguous block of cells. On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:19:08 +0100, "Tomek" <tpolak@poczta.onet.pl> wrote: >Which function may be used with multiple ranges? > >Commonly used "lookups",...

Workbook pivot table design function
I used Sheet1 as the data source to create a pivot table in a new worksheet which I named Sheet PT. Is it possible to design the workbook so that I can delete the data in Sheet1 and then paste new data with more or less rows in Sheet1 and have the pivot table in Sheet PT update to reflect the new data that has been pasted into Sheet1 but the formating of the pivot table stays the same? One thought is to simply set the pivot's source range (In step 2 of the PT wizard) to cover the max expected extent of source data at the onset, then configure the base PT format. Then jus...

Select contact then hangs

Selecting rows from various sheets

The HH:MM function
Im making a spreadsheet which caluclates how much training certain people have done in hours. For instance on one day someone may do 10 hours 30mins (represented in the spreadsheet as 10:30) and for the next four days did the same. What i would like is a number in my total column like this 52 hours 30mins (52:30) however the "total" cell wont exceed over 24:00, im sure its supposed not to exceed that because of the hh:mm function im using, but i wondered if anyone could tell me a way around this? Thanks Chris, Format all the cells you intend to use as time format in the foll...

buggy cell miscalculates SUM function
Cell B19 does not SUM the preceding 5 cells correctly. It gives a valu of 9 when it should be 42. The problem might be with cell B16, which it seems to pass over. TIA Spreadsheet attache Attachment filename: calwin foster care training analysis - demo.xl Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=58266 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try formatting that B16 cell as General and then reenter the value. (excel may have been seeing your value in B16 as text) "lindasf <" wrote: > > Cell B19 does not SUM the preceding 5 cells corr...

Referencing a referenced cell
Sheet1!C4 contains the formula =Sheet2!A1 I want Sheet1!D4 to find out what cell Sheet1!C4 is referencing an then return the value two columns over. (Offset will take care o returning the value two columns over). My problem is I need to kno which cell Sheet1!C$ is referencing. If I use the formul "=OFFSET(Sheet1!C4,0,1)" I get the value from one column to the righ of Sheet1!C4, I need the value of one column to the right of the cel being referenced by Sheet1!C4, (Sheet2!A1) How would I do this. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi see your post in Excel.mis...

select text in Calendar

Excel 2000
I used to have this option by right clicking and selecting split. However i don't have it now. I had it on WIN2000 and now I have XP proffesional Hi not possible in Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Roy S" <Roy S@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BE9E61EA-466E-4391-8400-5967977E9325@microsoft.com... > I used to have this option by right clicking and selecting split. However i > don't have it now. I had it on WIN2000 and now I have XP proffesional I bet you're thinking about a table in MSWord???? Roy S wrote: > &g...

x-axis range
How do I get the x-axis to be a range of "values" instead of "categories"? I am trying to do a line chart with values over a % range, but I do not have values evenly spaced over the entire range (The chart is asymptotic and I only need to see values from 0 to 40 or so) e.g.: X Y 0.5% 28.8% 1% 44.8% 2% 62.2% 5% 80.9% 10% 89.9% 15% 93.4% 20% 95.3% 35% 97.7% I get the X axis evenly spaced in 8 categories. Seems like older versions of Excel (I am using Office XP/2002) allowed me to set the range and divisions within the range. How do I handle this now? ...

Link select with a blast

Dragging and dropping cells with the keyboard
Is there anyway to drag and drop cells using keyboard shortcuts For example in Word you can highlight text, press F2 and then move the cursor to the desired locatiion and press enter I know you can copy/cut and paste but dragging and dropping cells with formulas maintains cell references without having to input '$' holding signs. This would be particularly helpful for large ranges Thank you for your time Tom You can cut (Ctrl+X), then use the arrow keys to another cell, and paste (Ctrl+V). The original references are maintained. Or, select a cell, and press the F2 key to enter Edi...

How do I add different ranges in a column together?
I have a large column of numbers and need to select random numbers that I need to total. Rather than adidng one cell at a time. How do I add multiple ranges within the column together? Thank you If they're ranges (as in groups of consecutive cells) you can use SUM, as in =sum(a1:a5,a20:a43, ... ). If they're cells that are selected based on the value of some other cell in the same row, you can use sumif: =sumif(b:b,"Selection",a:a) would add the values in column A of the rows where column B is equal to "Selection". If it's really pretty random, I'...

PivotTable canned functions
I am using Excel 2000 (9.0.2720). In my work I often faced with the task of creating ratios of CurrentListValue / CurrentSaleValue then need to perform various calculations on those ratios to identify and conclude on Central Tendencies (among other things) within categories from a parent array. The list of functions available for PivotTable calculation (I am assuming under the hood these are Array Functions) is very narrow. Only providing for Average, Standard Deviation, Min, Max, etc. Is there a way to add to this list, such as but not limited to, Average Deviation, Median, Geometr...

Stop named ranges being copied
I want to copy a worksheet from one workbook to another. But I do not want to copy the named ranges associated with the first workbook to the second. How do I prevent named ranges being copied when I move sheets. >>How do I prevent named ranges being copied when I move sheets. You can't. A named range is just as much a part of a sheet as anything else. Delete the name(s) after you copy a sheet. -- Jim <bmatheson@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1183722346.818571.213860@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... >I want to copy a worksheet from one workbook to another. > >...

Need help pulling data from cells in different workbooks
Hi, let me try and explain this the best I can: say i have a workbook with 2 pages, on the first sheet, in cells C27 C47, C67 and C87 on the Sheet2, I want to make a list. in that list contains data fro cells C27, C47, C67 and C87 from Sheet1 . on sheet2, the list wil look like: List ='Sheet1!C27 ='Sheet1!C47 ='Sheet1!C67 ='Sheet1!C87 Is there any easy way to pull that data without doing each lin individually. I know i can put in the = and pick the cell on the othe sheet, but I have 100's of cells I need to get data from. If i try an copy paste each line, it does...

Select Case in a Change Event

Select Records based another table...

How to freeze a range in excel 2003and 2007
I want to freeze a group of cells in excel 2007 but when I click on the freeze panes, top row or first column: nothing happens- I mean it scrolls up and down. Also is there anyway I can print an excel worksheet which is several pages long and still have the headings (which is in say the first 3 rows ie A1 - E1 down to A3 - E3) printed on each page? Lets say the headings are on only page 1 but i want it to be on page 2,3,4 to the last page when printed. Can freezing do that? Thanks. Hi In order the Freeze Panes, your cursor needs to be one cell below, and one cell the the right of the Row an...