security of a cell

is it possible to protect a range of cells, so that it i wanted to
change them a box could appear requesting the password to access the
cells.

i would idelly like to set this up so that the need to go through the
top menu is bypassed.

This was added in xl2002 as a built in feature.

Before that version, you'd need a macro.  And if the user opened the workbook
without enabling macros, it wouldn't be effective.

chimp wrote:

> is it possible to protect a range of cells, so that it i wanted to
> change them a box could appear requesting the password to access the
> cells.
>
> i would idelly like to set this up so that the need to go through the
> top menu is bypassed.

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

Empty Cell
Sorry I First posted this wrong Hi I need Some Help with My VBA Macro I want to change either the last occurrence of a value in a cell within the range or all occurrences to a strikethrough font also the cell two places to the right. Then I want to take that same info and place it in the first empty cell in the range then I will place some other info in the cell two to the right of that. The Range Name is CIC_D The Value is CNT_A, and the Value to go two to the right of the empty cell is cntbsht If this requires to different subs that's ok Next question is if their are no empty cells avai...

Merging Info in Two Cells #2
I did get a partial response, thanks Barb, but now I need to dig into VBA and I stumble. I guess the formatting needs to be done in VBA and the easiest way is by copying each cell and pasting the values (otherwise, I am not sure if I can do partial formatting of a cell, i.e. superscripting parts of it). So the code would read: Range("c5:g5").Select Selection.Copy Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _ :=False, Transpose:=False With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=4, Length:=9).Font ...

User Clss Security
I am new to Microsoft Dynamics, and performing an evaulation using Rel.9. I am attempting to set up user class security to assign to usrs when I add them. When I set up a class for purchaing for example, selecting Windows and a series of Purchasing to allow access to the purchaing screens and save this. Then create a user and assign the class to the user I am creating, the end result when I print a security report for this user, the user has far more authorizations than the windows I granted to the Purchaning class. Authorizations include advanced security, Financials and many others. W...

How can i link arrows with cell?
I had tables.. And in that some cells were pointed by arrows. (One value derived by content of other cell, TO give it a legibility arrow beteen these two cell is used). Now when we copy paste that cells in word.. and change size of area.. Arrow sizes are not scalled down or up. Please let me know how can we do this? TIA Sandip You could copy to Word as picture. Hold down SHIFT, select range and use Edit | Copy as Picture proceed form there best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Sandip" <Sandip@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Can a cell pull info from another cell that is on a separate workb
I have two different excel documents. One is called "Job Costing" and the other is the "Project Book". I update the Job Costing sheet daily, and then I put the total from that sheet onto the Project Book when that particular job is finished. It would be extremely helpful if the Project Book could update automatically each time that I update the Job Costing sheet. However, these two documents are on two different folders on our server, so I'm not sure if that's possible. Is it? Thanks so much! Aaron It should be provided you quote the full pa...

Cell Linking #2
I'm not sure if "cell linking" is the correct terminology for what I need but all I want to do is have 3 columns, 2 of which are alphanumeric, and when any column is resorted the other 2 columns should resort also so that the rows will always stay the same. Thanks. -- buzzfever ------------------------------------------------------------------------ buzzfever's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29553 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=492578 Make sure you select ALL 3 COLUMNS before you sort. Then,...

Advanced Security Error
When I am in the Advanced Security form, I will select a user class (or user) and then select the "by menu" option on right of the form, I get the following error; The stored procedure WDC_Security_CloneClassEntity returned the following results: DBMS: 0, Microsoft Dynamics GP: 50403. I have search the knowledgebase and googled it and I can't find anything about how to fix this error. This error code means that it was trying to clone from an entity that did not exist in the Accelerator tables. I suggest that you Reset the Accelerator from the Advanced Security Options w...

Transparent Cell Borders For Formula Cells?
Hey guys, I've searched high and low for a solution to this, and as a last resort, I've come to the forums for some help. For range C1:ZZ3 , I have the following formulas, C1 : =IF(DAY(C$3)=1,CHOOSE(MONTH(C $3),"JAN","FEB","MAR","APR","MAY","JUN","JUL","AUG","SEP","OCT","NOV","DEC"),"") C2: =CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(C$3),"S","M","T","W","T","F","S") C3: = DATE + 1 (Incrementing the initial date...

Outlook2K7/Vista & Security Certificates??
I'm using Outlook 2007 and Vista Ultimate. My AOL IMAP mail worked fine until a about a week ago. Now I get this error message: "The server you are connected to is using a security certificate cannot be verified. Do want to continue using this server" I click "Yes" and it downloads the new email, but I have to do this each time I open Outlook 2007. Anyone have any clues how to fix this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thx can you download the certificate and add it to your trusted certs? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outl...

Security
Now with Money 2005 it seems you are pretty much required to use an MSN Passport to take advantage of its features. This means all your financial information is somewhere on some Microsoft server. Not only some statements from a certain bank, but ALL of your info. Your checking and savings accounts, your investment and retirement accounts and all the necessary passwords to access these accounts at each particular bank. Together with individual notes you may have added to each transaction (and with the combined information of all of your accounts) anyone accessing your data gets a pr...

Proper Security Settings on Exchange Install Folder?
I am trying to nail down the security of our Exchange 2003 servers before we start a mass migration off 5.5. One issue I am dealing with is securing the Exchange install directory, in my case c:\program files\exchsrvr I have a Microsoft Press Book "Secure Messaging with MS Exchange Server 2003" that talks about doing this on page 144, but the details aren't as clear as I would like them. For example, they say to remove the everyone inheritance. I don't have that. (thats not my question - but right away I'm seeing the book completely different from what I have) Th...

Adding names to a cell
I made my own user defined function to act as a test function for me to try some stuff out in a sub that is being ran from a button. My test function is Function testFunc() As Integer On Error GoTo errhandler ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="ZOMGNAME", RefersTo:="=Sheet1!X20" testFunc = 1 errhandler: MsgBox Err.Description End Function The error I get is application-defined or object-defined error The function exists in the workbooks Module1 module Why am I getting the error? Thanks in advance You don't have any cell that contains a formula that t...

cell selection stuck on
Hi, while working in excel, occasionally the cell selection gets stuck on, so moving the mouse/cursor highlights cells even though I dont want it to. closing excel does not help, I have to reboot to stop it happening, then it comes back. it is a large spreadsheet. argh! need help! thanks brian. Hi Brian! A frequently experienced problem. Several possible solutions: 1. Once in this mode you'll probably see EXT in the status bar of XL, press F8 and see if it goes away. 2. Sometimes clicking the wheel also helps. 3. Check you haven�t got a sticky key on your key...

moving to cell Y if cell X has value Z.
Folks, I recieved the following query from my gf this morning - and have no idea how it is done. She's recently change job, old textbooks are in transit and new employer hasn't set her up for newsgroups. All help appreciated - if you are posting can you also mail me please - clarke w rice At yahoo dot co dot uk Thanks --- I'm fiddling with Visual Basic [Excel] and I now don't have my trusty VB textbook I had in old office and help files aren't installed in this computer. What I'm trying to do is have a combobox linked to a cell and then have a command box I ...

Insert file name into Cell
Is there a way to insert the file name into a cell, rather than on header/footer? Hi Bonny, 1996FEDT.XLS =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1),1)+1,FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1),1)-FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1),1)-1) D:\driveM\excel\TAXES\1996FEDT.XLS [Sheet1] =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(CELL("filename",A1),"[",""),"]"," [") & "]" for more information, worksheet examples, and coding examples for pathname, filename, sheetname and combinations of ...

security setup
is there anyway to change security level of cashier by time. for example from 9am to 1 pm they have different security level and from 1 to 5 they have different. Also is there anyway to disable "tender" button on POS for all cashiers. i want to dedicate one of my machines just to make work orders so knowbody can tender amount on it. thank you Shoby, Not that I'm aware of. If you can't press the F12 Tender button, you can't save the workorder. But you can disable the Amount column in the Tender screen. When in POS, click on the bottom blank button on the le...

How to add cell range that is excluded from VB script
I do have a code that automatically make the text capitalized. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error GoTo Error_handler With Target If Not .HasFormula Then Application.EnableEvents = False If Target.Row = 10 Then Target.Value = UCase(Target.Value) Target.Value = UCase(Target.Value) Application.EnableEvents = True End If End With Error_handler: Resume Next End Sub How to add a range of cells that is excluded from this cript? Bart Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const WS_RANGE As String = "10:10,A11,B12,H19:M22" ...

Outlook 2000 security update
Does anyone know how to disable the Outlook 2000 security update? which one/why ? N "Jeremy" <jeremylee1975@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:01dc01c3ce3e$3509e140$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to disable the Outlook 2000 security > update? ...

Formatting cells with numbers
I am wondering if there is anyway in excel to format cells with numbers in order in a column. For example: 12345 in the top row 12346 in the second row 12347 in the third and so on... I know this is expecting a whole lot, but I need soemthing like that. Thanks, Vanessa One way - In cell A1, enter 12345 In cell A2, enter =A1+1 then copy cell A2 down as many cells as you wnt numbers in. If after doing this, you want to convert the cells from formulas t actual numbers, highlight the cells, select COPY and then select PAST SPECIAL and choose value -- Message posted from http://www.Excel...

Renaming Cells linked to Pivot Tables
Hey guys, Is there a way to rename the field heading that are linked to th pivot tables, so when I click update data, it just takes on the ne name. Right now if I just rename the heading, the pivot falls apart.... any ideas? Thanks! :confused -- gsimmons200 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- gsimmons2005's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2638 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46689 click on the title of the row/column in the pivot (so the data is not highlighted) and chan...

Default Security Roles for Canadian Payroll
It would be nice to have the same type of security roles in Version 10 when you install Canadian Payroll as you do with US payroll. Fliehigh You could probably "mimic" the same security roles for Canadian payroll, no? Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Fliehigh" wrote: > It would be nice to have the same type of security roles in Version 10 when > you install Canadian Payroll as you do with US payroll. > > Fliehigh No because the tasks do not mimic or relate to the US P...

Outlook 2003 Security
Hi everyone, I am having a problem with outlook 2003 when i am trying to synchronise my nokia 8210i phone to my addresses and calendar. When i try and do this i get the box popup that says that i have to allow access, so i press 10 minutes and allow. The only problem is that i have too much stuff i think and it takes longer then 10 minutes to sync. Its also through a serial cable, so it doesnt help. But when the 10 mins is up, then it wont allow the sync to finish and so it drops the connection with the nokia without finishing what needs to be done. I have tried the little install of click ye...

Locking a cell based on a cells content
I am wanting to lock cell A1 from being able to be populated if both B1 & C1 are both empty. Is this possible? Data - Validation, Custom =COUNTBLANK(B1:C1)<>2 Also, uncheck the "ignore blank" option. -- Best Regards, Luke M "The Rook" <TheRook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:947A2CEF-93C1-4648-BFB6-6690558718ED@microsoft.com... >I am wanting to lock cell A1 from being able to be populated if both B1 & >C1 > are both empty. > > Is this possible? ...

Apply that security package
--yuockqlvko Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="mkoqpquddlxw"; type="multipart/alternative" --mkoqpquddlxw Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="erudxjyh" --erudxjyh Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to help main...

recognizing cell.interior.colorindex
I adapted Pearson's code to write a macro to test if a cell had a colorindex>0, then (if so) remove all conditional formatting that colored the cell (leaving the color). It works fine on a small test spreadsheet with different test conditional formats. When I try to run my "real" application, it always returns -4142 (clear) for cell.interior.colorindex, regardless of the cell color. It doesn't seem related to Pearson's code. Any help appreciated. TIA -- Bill Roberts Chip has lots of code on his site. I don't know what you used to check. But test...