Search and Replace: set user preference?

Excel 2003
I use Find and Replace extensively; after the first use when I open the
F&R window the "Replace with" box is highlighted.  I'd prefer the "Find
What" box to highlight each time I open the window.

Will Excel allow me to set that preference somewhere?
Thanks!

0
slingsh0t (41)

I don't think you can change this behavior--and I wouldn't think that a
workaround (doing a dummy find that replaces nothing with nothing) would be
worth it.

--

Dave Peterson
0

0
slingsh0t (41)
7/22/2005 5:02:18 PM
If, before you close the Find box, you switch back to the Find tab from the
Replace tab, it will be in view when you reopen.
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"slingsh0t@hotmail.com" wrote:

> Ugh- looks like it's custom button time.  Thanks for your response,
> Dave.

0
Michael5492 (655)
7/22/2005 9:47:02 PM
Ugh (I gave you a bum steer about the dummy find/replace.)  You could just use a
macro that shows that dialog:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
    Application.Dialogs(xlDialogFormulaReplace).Show "", ""
End Sub

(this is better than that dummy find/replace stuff.)

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
7/23/2005 12:26:02 AM
Hi there. I have the same problem; I use the find and replace key (CTRL+H)
constantly and am very frustrated that in this version of Excel (2003), the
"find" portion is not highlighted when the box opens. I don't really want to
write a macro or tab through to the "find" section before closing. Is there
anyway to load an earlier version of Excel for just this function? I just
switched versions and what ever version I've been using for the last 7 years,
did highlight the "find" section first, so it is very hard to break this
habit (and very annoying that I have remove my hands from the keyboard to use
the mouse or else tab through several times to get to the "find").  Anyway, I
guess I am just venting now....  If anybody has any other suggestions, I sure
would appreciate them. Thanks - Brenda

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Ugh (I gave you a bum steer about the dummy find/replace.)  You could just use a
> macro that shows that dialog:
>
> Option Explicit
> Sub testme()
>     Application.Dialogs(xlDialogFormulaReplace).Show "", ""
> End Sub
>
> (this is better than that dummy find/replace stuff.)
>

> slingsh0t@hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> > Ugh- looks like it's custom button time.  Thanks for your response,
> > Dave.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Brenda1 (81)
10/5/2005 12:08:03 AM
I don't think there's a way to load parts of one version of excel and parts of
another version of excel.

As far as I can tell, your choices are the macro or learning to live with it.

--

Dave Peterson
0

This is a program bug in Excel 2003..

In every version of Excel that I've used (before 2003), when you bring up
the Replace window, the "Find" will be highlighted.

It is especially frustrating when you do a "Replace All".  Next time you
bring it up, why would you want to have the same entry in the "find" field?
YOU JUST REPLACED ALL OCCURANCES  OF IT!

Another reason not to upgrade to 2003.

------------
Microsoft:  Any plans to address this bug?

Dave

"Brenda" wrote:

> Hi there. I have the same problem; I use the find and replace key (CTRL+H)
> constantly and am very frustrated that in this version of Excel (2003), the
> "find" portion is not highlighted when the box opens. I don't really want to
> write a macro or tab through to the "find" section before closing. Is there
> anyway to load an earlier version of Excel for just this function? I just
> switched versions and what ever version I've been using for the last 7 years,
> did highlight the "find" section first, so it is very hard to break this
> habit (and very annoying that I have remove my hands from the keyboard to use
> the mouse or else tab through several times to get to the "find").  Anyway, I
> guess I am just venting now....  If anybody has any other suggestions, I sure
> would appreciate them. Thanks - Brenda
>

> "Dave Peterson" wrote:
>
> > Ugh (I gave you a bum steer about the dummy find/replace.)  You could just use a
> > macro that shows that dialog:
> >
> > Option Explicit
> > Sub testme()
> >     Application.Dialogs(xlDialogFormulaReplace).Show "", ""
> > End Sub
> >
> > (this is better than that dummy find/replace stuff.)
> >

> > slingsh0t@hotmail.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Ugh- looks like it's custom button time.  Thanks for your response,
> > > Dave.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson

0
dave871 (679)

how can I set up a backdrop in Exel?
I have a pre printed form (Word document) that I would like to set as a backdrop in Exel, so I can enter data in the relevant boxes and Exel will add them up. Is this possible and if so How? I am using Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003. Why not add them up in Word? A quick look at HELP in Word produced this... Add, subtract, and perform other calculations To perform simple arithmetic operations or calculate mathematical expressions, use the = (Formula) field. You can use the = (Formula) field with bookmarks in text and with cell references in tables. The = (Formula) field below...

Pre-fill a User Name on Onload
I am working with CRM 4.0. I have created a custom entity called Projects and have created a relationship with the User system entity and have named it Editor. I would like to pre-fill the name of a person in the Editor. I am new to java script. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Hi Andy, Following URL is from CRM SDK. It will guide you how to write JScript code for lookup field; http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb928151.aspx -- uMar Khan :: MS CRM MVP Microsoft CRM Consultant Email :: imumar at gmail dot com Blog :: http://umarkhan.wordpress.com MVP :: https://mvp.suppor...

How do I set up an email account for outlook
I use a laptop IBM Thinkpad and I have connect it to ADSL network I can connect to Outlook but when I connect it to Spacestream (Internet via Satellite) it does not log on to the server. Please help. Jara <Jara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I use a laptop IBM Thinkpad and I have connect it to ADSL network I > can connect to Outlook but when I connect it to Spacestream (Internet > via Satellite) it does not log on to the server. Please help. Care to give more detail, like your version of Outlook, how you've configured your account, and what error messages you get?...

Searching for Newsgroups

Can a set up a production chart in excel, there may be over run s.
I would like to set up a production chart in Excel, what formulas do I enter? The jobs could over run so this will alter the daily production sheets. I want to be able to alter one job run and then it will rearrange the following jobs. Can this be done and if so how do I do it? I am running mms office excel 2003. I hope some one out there can solve my problem, I do hope its possible too. I work for a printing company with no production sysytem at all!! What I would like to do is to set up a daily, weekly and monthly production sheet for jobs to be worked on. We have three departm...

Search & replace in formulae

Search engine optimization

Possible to have two distinct sets of Contact in the one program?
Hi I am trying to extract my backup og mobile phone contacts from my T-Mobile online backup. My temporary mobile phone is not supported and will not download them. However, I have managed to download them in *.csv format and inserted them into an Excel spreadsheet. I am well aware that I can now import them into Outlook BUT I do not want them merged with my existing list of Contacts. As a holding measure, is it possible for them to be imported into Outlook, but kept completely separate? In the next few months I will be purchasing a Smartphone and will then want to move th...

Exchange User Properties on Exchange 5.5
For about 10 minutes none of my client machines could access the properties for the exchange server (i.e. to change the server or client settings for authentication). I do see any errors in the event log. Are there any processes that run that can cause such a problem. At about the same time I did see the database was defragging. Thanks EMcGrath@HCA_NOSPAM_Vendor.com <EMcGrathHCANOSPAMVendorcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >For about 10 minutes none of my client machines could access the properties >for the exchange server (i.e. to change the server or client settin...

How do I set Outlook as my default email
I have OE and O - want only to use O. Have set up my email account in O - that is set as the default option - but still email goes into OE. Test messages composed in/sent from O also go into OE. I can retrieve them in O - by clicking send/receive - but they immediately delete. Think I have missed something. Shall I unistall OE? Anthony A <Anthony A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have OE and O - want only to use O. Have set up my email account in > O - that is set as the default option - but still email goes into OE. If you don't run OE, or you remove the mail acco...

Offline Folder File Settings button missing Outlook 2003
Hello, I am trying to get outlook 2003 into cached exchange mode but even when creating a new profile the ost file is not created. Have removed the mail profile and all outlook files from the outlook folder residing in application settings. Recreated the profile but no luck. The user cannot select work offline nor do I see the Offline Folder File Settings button when right clicking the mailbox then advanced and advanced again. What is going on? There are no policies preventing this nor mailbox settings on exchange which impact this setting. Thanks, Arp You don&...

Where in HQ do we set caption text for Customer Additional Tab?
I have scoured the documentation and can't seem to find it. Where can I set the captions for the fields on the Customer Additional Tab? I have set then in the Customcaption table to what I need, but I would still like to know where the heck I can set those from within HQ Manager. -- RMS 1.2.0.171 1 HQ 23 Stores in 9 states 145 Lanes This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_03D8_01C6E179.3C0CC4C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Butch, Sorry, no option to do that. I think that Retail Realm = ww...

Allow save copies of message option to be set by account
Hello, I'm using IMAP for the first time, but also have POP3 accounts with no IMAP support in Outlook 2007. I want to save a single copy of my sent messages, after they are actually sent. I can't do this in OL 2007, or at least if I can, without a bunch of rules tinkering and/or negating a benefit of IMAP. I don't like the rules setup, because it sends a copy of my POP3 e-mail to the sent items folder when I hit the send button, not when the e-mail is actually sent. I'd like to have the ability to set the option of saving copies at the account level. Now, either I can...

excel VBA

Prices and cost Set to zero when exporting a new store
When I export a new store with 1.2.085v from headquarters all the cost and price information is set to zero. I have seen that there is a fix for 1.3v but i cannot seem to find any other fix for our version. Any suggestions? Thanks Joe Just run worksheets to update the cost and price. Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the newsgroup so that all can share the information. Joe Gonzalez wrote: > When I export a new store with ...

How can I permanently change the object (scale)settings?
I'm trying to copy and paste an object from Photshop into Publisher, but when I paste it in publisher it's always 3% of the original size. How can I permanently change this size? Have you tried saving the PS file as a gif or jpg and inserting that? JoAnn Paules MVP Publisher "Marike" wrote: > I'm trying to copy and paste an object from Photshop into Publisher, but when > I paste it in publisher it's always 3% of the original size. How can I > permanently change this size? ...

Multiple fields using to search
Hi, Something i've been batteling for weeks with and theres probably such a simple answer to it and i just cant see it: Riiiight, i have this form (lets call it frmClientSearch) On this form i have a 2 list box thinghys; One called lstEmployee which is populated with Employee names and the other lstCity which is populated with City Names. Then i have a command button (cmdSearch) which, once click and values selected in both the lst boxes, should return only the values that are equal to both the lst boxes in a new form called frmSearchResult. (Hope i make sense) So... I know how ...

set reminders to open on top?
using ol03. is there a way to get reminders to pop up on top of other open windows? It should do that already; it's not even a setting. Taking focus issues are most often caused by your videocard driver. Update to the latest version or rollback to the previous version if you are already running the latest version. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Creating a Permanent New Mail Desktop Alert in Outlook 2003 ----- "jeffrey" <astro46@excite.com> wrote in message news:kYyTd.35...

CRM 1.2 How to get queue to e-mail CRMEnabled users
We are running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition and a Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition MS Exchange server. Can not get the CRM Queue to e-mail other users. E-mails come fine to support queue, but not to us. What do we have to do to configure the mail server properly, the CRM Router is in place on mail server, but there is something else missing. Any help would be great full thanks!!! alfuller@mobilewires.com ...

Print and page settings of workbook
I am tired of resetting page attributes on similar worksheets within a workbook. Seems like one should be able to copy print settings (margins, footers, headings, font, etc. etc.) from one worksheet to another with one click like the format brush. What am i missing? Must I write a print macro to do this on each and every multiple set of worksheets? Try selecting the multiple sheets first, then setting the attributes. Just remember to ungroup them before you make changes that *don't* apply to all. In article <OVHh#XvdHHA.984@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, David Greenberg <...

Search, Search, Thanks
In the last couple of weeks I have been fighting with different ways o synching my laptop and my home pc. I have ended up with numerou duplicate entries, duplicate address books and duplicate contact lists ALL of my questions/problems I was able to resolve simply by searchin through the forums. Chances are if you have a problem you're not th first. There are some really good people on these forums that know alo more about Outlook than I do. Just my .02 Thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages dir...