Scrolling cells under a heading?

Someone passed along a sample check register file in Excel. At the top are
Column headings for date, check number, etc. When you scroll down, the
heading at the top, always stays visible The Rows underneath give the
appearance of  disappearing under the header. In this way, as mentioned the,
header is always visible, allowing one to see the identity of each column no
matter how far you scroll down the ledger or page. How is such a header
created and what is it called? I would find this useful in creating other
worksheets. I am new to Excel, as you might surmise, but not computer
illiterate ... and eager to learn the program.

From  Jerry Bohley   (jerliz@home)

0
JER

Hi!

Put the headings at the top. Can be more than one row.
Put names or whatever at the left-hand side (again, 1 or mor
columns).

Select the cell which is one row below your chosen headings and on
column to the right of your chosen row headings.

On the main menu click Window > Freeze panes. Done.

eg if you want one row of headings and one column of fixed names
select B2: window>freeze panes.

Unfreeze panes removes it and lets you change it.

Al

Alf, thanks with much appreciation.

Jerry

"AlfD >" <<AlfD.16xop7@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Put the headings at the top. Can be more than one row.
> Put names or whatever at the left-hand side (again, 1 or more
> columns).
>
> Select the cell which is one row below your chosen headings and one
> column to the right of your chosen row headings.
>
> On the main menu click Window > Freeze panes. Done.
>
> eg if you want one row of headings and one column of fixed names,
> select B2: window>freeze panes.
>
> Unfreeze panes removes it and lets you change it.
>
> Alf
>

> ---

JER
5/27/2004 9:43:55 PM
On the menu bar, Click on Window / Freeze Panes
it will "freeze" cells to the left and above where the
cursor is.
0
anonymous (74721)

Scrolling with CScrollView
Hi everyone, Let me start by saying that I'm rather new to scrolling. I have come accross the following problem. I created a new SDI MFC application that uses CScrollView with Visual Studio .NET 2003. Then I have increased the size in CScrollView::OnInitialUpdate() to 1000 by 1000. Finally I have added the following code in CScrollView::OnDraw(), // TODO: add draw code for native data here CRect rect; GetClientRect (&rect); CString str_scroll; str_scroll.Format(_T(" x = %i y = %i "), GetScrollPosition().x, GetScrollPosition().y); pDC->DrawText(str_scroll, -1, &...

Macro to copy a Cell Content automatically IF G12 cell <>""
I am having the below Macro code for moving the cursor E11,F11,E12,G11 & G12 and these cells are not protected and rest all other cells are locked (Other than M11 cell). I got this code in google web search. Now I want to add a small condition which is if a person enter any value in G12 cell then the Macro should automatically do copy the M11 cell. That’s all. M11 cell is not having any lock! Note:- The Cursor should move in this order only that is E11,F11,E12,G11 & G12. So please don’t change the cursor movement. The cursor should not move to M11 cell and all...

push rather than pull cell data.
Is it possible with excel to push data from cells to another sheet in same excel file rather than pull it from the cells you want populated each time cell data is changed. Thanks for any help with this. Maybe you could use a macro. "BINZA@" wrote: > > Is it possible with excel to push data from cells to another sheet in same > excel file rather than pull it from the cells you want populated each time > cell data is changed. > > Thanks for any help with this. -- Dave Peterson sheets("sourcesht").range("a2:a22").copy sheets("d...

how read value from last selected cell? It is possible? how get adress last selected cell?
for example. I write to cell A11 value "hello", and next: IF I click "ENTER" or IF I click mouse in any different cell (A15, B10, C1... free choice) I wont to display: MsgBox "Value in your last selected cell = ???" On this example MsgBox "Value in your last selected cell = hello" it is very important for me. I try with event of Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) ?? but :( thanks everybody, Andrzej Andrzej You have little choice but to use the Worksheet_Change() event as the Worksheet_SelectionChange() event, give you the cell ...

colour cells using VBA
Hi New to VBA so apologies in advance if a dumb question! I have managed to get to the following which is working well but I now want corresponding cells in the "k" column to change to specific colours based on the data in "I" and "J" columns and seem to have put myself in a corner - what os the best way to write such a request please? 'Convert to FMECA format, and set matrix row If consequence = "A - Almost Certain" Or LCase(consequence) = "a" Or LCase(consequence) = "a" Or LCase(consequence) = "...

Scrolling sync subforms
Hi all I have a continuous subform which shows all claim details, that have Part(s) against them. The claims are a one to many with the Parts. I wanted to show a count on the form of parts against each claim. If I add a count to the recordsource query then I lose the ability to edit the data in the subform. I need to do this to add a Selector code if the user wants to mark the claim as a selection. Instead I have created another continuous subform, this has just the claim ref and the count of parts. Each form has the same sort order and a vertical scroll bar - is it possibl...

Scroll-me-down
Hi there, I am using RichEditCtrl and all the associated select, format, replace for adding text to the end of my rich edit box. However, I have yet to figure out a definative way of making it scroll down as far as needed (bottom of page if page length is greater than height), it sometimes works, if the cursor position is right at the very end of the text when the text is added programatically, but I need a way for when it is not. Could anyone give me any tips? - MR Mark Randall wrote: > Hi there, > > I am using RichEditCtrl and all the associated select, format, repla...

Putting a word into a cell.
I would like to put a word into a cell depending on the value in another cell. Example: Cell A1=399 Cell B1=401 Cell C1=400 Cell D1= Pass or fail So if C1 is within or equal to A1 and B1 I would like D1 to say Pass. If C1 is outside the range of A1 and B1 I would like D1 to say Fail. Also if its Pass I would like it to be Green text and Fail to be Red text. Thanks in advance Carl -- the-jackal =IF(AND(C1>=A1,C1<=B1),"Pass","Fail") also select D1 and use Format/Conditional Formatting, and change the 2nd dropdown to be "equal to", and type the w...

Using the active cell content
I'd like to update result of formula in any cell, according to the content of the active cell. How should I write the formula ? ex in A1:A10 are the years from 2001 to 2010 in A21, i'd like to see the content of the cell I click on (within the A1:A10 range). What should I write as a formula in A21 ? Thanks You could use a formula like this but it requires a calc to make it update, as all formulas do. =INDIRECT(CELL("address")) -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Vincent DAVID" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45de01c4c5a5$51b55310$a601...

Splitting cells into multiple records
Hello, Here is what I am trying to do. I have an access DB that Excels pulls info out of and puts in a nice little format. My issue is that some of the fields have multiple records in it. Here is an example of the DB: First Name | Last Name | Issue | Remediation You would only have one first and last name, but there might be multiple instances in the issue and remediation cells. First Name | Last Name | Issue | Remediation John |Smith | Issue Number 1 | Remediation Number 1 | Issue Number 2 | Remediation Nu...

scroll bar gone
hi have money 2005 premium and in my checkbook area where you pick the category the scroll bar is gone and it only shows me the categories that fit in that window. if i go into split and select the categories from within there the scroll bar is there. Does anyone see this problem or have a fix for it. Thanks, minnoce944 In that nobody else has M05, it would be hard to comment. "Mike I" <minnoce944@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u9aY7B1fEHA.384@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > hi have money 2005 premium and in my checkbook area where you pick the > category the scroll b...

Tabbing from cell to cell
I need to be able to tab from a certain cell to the next and so on in order. I understand that I should hold control, and click on the cells in the order I need to move through them. Then, I press ctrl+F3 and give a name to the tab order. What next? How do I call back that tab order to use when I open up a specific document? Thanks! Once you've set up the name, then you press CTRL+G and type in the name of the range. This will select the cells. (Or type the name of the range in the "Name" box at the left end of the formula bar.) On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 20:17:02 -0700, "Amb...

SharePoint Scroll Bar
I'm quite new to SharePoint and I was wondering how to disable the Scroll Bar in a content query web part. Thanks Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice JQuery and partial views in an ASP.NET MVC application http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/a8081c04-776d-4322-b403-84508b0ae3b5/jquery-and-partial-views.aspx Try to overwrite it with CSS overflow:hidden Regards, Shady Khorshed - SharePoint MVP <Daniel Arnold> wrote in message news:201015121218daniel.arnold@eaststaffsbc.gov.uk... > I'm quite new to SharePoint and I was wond...

Vertical Scroll Bar #2
Hi I was hoping someone could help me with this... sometimes when i have a lot of data running down my spreadsheet the vertical scroll bar block becomes very small to accomodate the amount of data i have. but then when i get rid of a lot of the data the length of the vertical scroll bar block stays very small despite me only having say 50 rows of data. what i would like to know is whether there is a way to make the vertical scroll bar block come back to bigger, so it's easier to grab than when it is very tiny??? Thanks Nick Nick Select the first blank row below your data, say...

Active / Dynamic Filtered List (changes w/ change in cell value)
I'd like to be able to have a filtered list change AUTOMATICALLY based on a criteria value (entered in a cell outside the filtered data range). What is the simplest way to do this? Autofilter is close, but it will not update the results dynamically. You can use programming to update the filter if a cell on the worksheet is changed. There are examples here: http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html Under Filters, look for 'Product List by Week Number' and 'Filter Rows for Text String' trippknightly@hotmail.com wrote: > I'd like to be able to have a filt...

To Capture the time stamp on entry of a value in cell.
Hi, I am trying to capture the time on the entry of the cell in column A. Scenario is I enter a person code in cell in A column and in B column I need a time stamp. I am using now(). It works for one row. but as i proceed to scan further all the values in column b is getting updated as i am using now(). I want to capture time stamp for each entry of person code in col A and then freeze timestamp in col b and proceed. I am trying to get something like, A1 3031 B1 10:30 Pm A2 3032 B2 10:35 PM and so on... Any pointer or help here will help me. Thanks in advance. ...

Excel sheet: scroll down, but leave first lines visible
Hi all Have to solve a problem fast: Excel sheet has in the first 4 lines text that i want to have visible at all times ( fix on top ) even when i scroll down on the sheet...... How can i do it. Thanks for your help either here in the NG or to: wette-2(at)ballonfahrer(dot)ch Hans Select the Row under the last one that you want to remain visible and the select Window > Freeze Panes If you want the first 4 line to also print on every page then select File > Page Setup > Sheet > Rows to Repeat at top enter 1:4 -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and ...

Refer to cell in Named Range
I know I've seen this somewhere but either I'm asking the wrong question or Excel online help sux. Given a named range, MyRange, which is 2 Columns wide by 5 Rows high How to I refer (either in formala and / or in Macro ) to any particular cell in that range...eg suppose I want to fetch the value from the 3rd cell down in Column 2 of MyRange? Must be bleedin obvious, but ..well please help thanks =offset(myrange,2,1,1,1 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com thanks, just the ticket "duane >" <<duane.1c4e4l@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in messag...

Breaking up data within a cell
Hello everyone, In Excel 2003 WinXp I have several thousand lines of data which have imported as - (as an example) Cell A1 B2342, 12,32223, JFGK, 1 Please can you advise me how to make the above line become 5 separate cells (a1:15) rather than one?? Thanks in anticipation. John North Yorkshire UK Should read a1:a5 not as shown! Sorry "John P" <jp@jpwebs.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23I7ui2oPEHA.3172@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello everyone, > > In Excel 2003 WinXp > > I have several thousand lines of data which have imported as - (as an > example) ...

Graph with too many points
Hi all, I have a graph with a lot of points, so I wanted to create some kind of horizontal scroll bar so I would be able to use a better scale and move around my time line ? Has anyone of you done something like that ? thx -- giselle ------------------------------------------------------------------------ giselle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24222 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=378389 Hi, Jon Peltier has written an article on the subject. http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=...

Copy cell formula help
I've created a spreadsheet with a dozen colums and about 150 rows. in the 1st row cells I have a conditional formula which states Sumif "cell Range", "Salesman Name", "Copycell Range". I'm trying to copy and paste the whole column in the hopes I retain the same cell ranges and formula, but evertime I paste from column A to Column B the whole range shifts the column range. My question is this; Is there a way to keep the conditions in the formula from changing? Please help. The way to do this is add "$" to the formula. The $ acts as an &qu...

Inserting files and formatting cell size
Is there a way to insert a Microsoft Publisher file into another Publisher file, like you can do with Word files? I have two seperate Publisher files that I would like to make into one document. Would Merge work? If so, how? Also, is there a way to change the size of one cell of one row without changing the size of the cells in the other rows? For instance, I would like the first cell of the first row to be 2 inches and the second cell to be 4 inches. However, I'd like the first cell of the second row to be one inch and the second cell of the second row to be 5 inches. When I try to...

Conditional formating using named cell
Hi. In a pivottable in Excel 07 I have the monthly results for a department. I use conditional formating to indicate if the spend value for year to date exceeds the total-year-plan with more than a certain pct. This pct will change over the year, depending on the month shown. Till now I have typed the value in the conditional formating: =3D($J9*4/12)<$G9 [J is total-year-plan and G is the spend value for year to date.] I would like to make the formula dynamic, and have it to refer to a cell called ValueForRed. I have tried to tye =3D($J9*ValueForRed)<$G9 but it does not work. Any s...

Formatting part of text in a Cell & shortcut copying Row hieghts
1.Is there a macro or otherwise to format i.e Bold,underline etc a part of text in a cell? 2. Is there a shortcut way of applying hieght of a specific row to other selected rows. -- Many Thanks Gunjani After a hard fought 1-1 draw, "The best side drew." - Bill Shankly (Legendary Liverpool Manager) Hi one way for your first question: simly select the specific text part in the formula bar and apply your format -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Gunjani wrote: > 1.Is there a macro or otherwise to format i.e Bold,underline etc a > part of t...

Replace a spreadsheets named cells/ranges with exact cell address.
I have a named range (A1:A6) which is called MyRange. Lets say each cell is populated with a number A1 = 1, A2 = 2. A3 = 3 etc. In the row (B1:B6) beneath it, I have entered =MyRange in each cell. As such the values in B1:B6 mirror those in A1:A6. That is, even though I use MyRange in each cell in Row B, Excel knows which cell to pull from in rowA to correctly populate the cells in Row B. Now If I use the Macro below to delete the named ranges I get the following range in each of the RowB cells =A1:A6. Once again Excel knows which cell to pull from in Row A to populate cells in Row...