Saving custom toolbars with macros to work on other computers

Hi
I have created a series of Macros in excel, and have alocated them to a
custom toolbar I have made.  Is there a way which I can save the toolbar and
macros with the excel spreadsheet, so tht the whole set-up can be used on a
seperate computer?
0
jpw48 (1)

Macros are always saved with the workbook that they are in.  To attach a
toolbar to that workbook you use View, Toolbars, Customize and click the
Attach button on the Toolbars tab.  Then Save the workbook.

That's the easy way but it has some drawbacks.  If you make a change to the
toolbar (like adding a new button) you must remember to re-attach the
toolbar to the workbook.  Making such a change and saving the workbook is
not enough, you must Attach again (when you change the toolbar, not the
code).  Also, if you send someone the workbook he will see your toolbar when
he opens the workbook.  But then that toolbar will become part of his
toolbar set, with or without your workbook.  If he deleted your workbook the
toolbar would still be there and he'd get an error if he used it.  Another
problem is that if you modify the toolbar, reattached it to the workbook and
send the workbook to a current user, when he opens it he will still see the
old toolbar. This is because he already has a toolbar with the same name
(your old one) and the old one blocks the new one.  Before he opens your
workbook he has to delete the old toolbar manually.  To make that
unnecessary you should add an auto_close macro to your workbook that deletes
the toolbar, so that the toolbar is never saved with the user's toolbar set.

To avoid all these issues the pros do not attach toolbars to workbooks.
Instead they build the toolbar with VBA code that's executed when the
workbook opens.  That's a subject that goes beyond the scope of this
message<g>.

--
Jim
"jpw48" <jpw48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi
| I have created a series of Macros in excel, and have alocated them to a
| custom toolbar I have made.  Is there a way which I can save the toolbar
and
| macros with the excel spreadsheet, so tht the whole set-up can be used on
| seperate computer?

0
jrrech (1933)
9/1/2005 12:06:51 PM
Just to add to Jim's reply.

Here's how I create that toolbar on the fly:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?threadm=40E095F1.5CB35B41%40msn.com

If you want to add items to the worksheet menu bar, you can use John
Walkenbach's menumaker:

--

Dave Peterson
0

Adding additional users to a client computer
I'm running SBS 2003 R2. I have a number of client computers connected to the server, but each of these has been allocated only one user account. Local reorganisation has led the users to ask if they can be allowed to log into any computer, not just the one they used to. SBS provides a setup computer wizard where you can add a new computer and then add users to it. However this won't work with an existing computer, and I can't find an obvious way of doing this from the server. (I had looked at establishing roaming profiles as a possible way around this, but th...

vlookup issue ( not working and im tearing my hair out)
Okay , well i cant discuss the actual info in my sheet but ill come up with a good analogy of it all . Ok basically on sheet 2 i have all the teams in my NHL ( my company) listed under the immediate manager. I also have the players last name, first name and number set out as such ; Team A Shivers Paul 14 Jacobsen John 25 Tucker Tanya 98 Team B Pitt Brad 22 Murray Bill 28 Clinton Hillary 55 You get the point, ok , on sheet 1 ( my main page accessible to my company ) , i have this format... Managers last name Players last name ...

Outlook wont work!
I just bought a new computer that came with a trial version of MS Office 2003. Since I already have MS Office Pro XP, I uninstalled the trial versions and installed my CD. Everything works (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Frontpage, etc..) except Outlook. When I start the program up it says "cannot load default email folders, would you like to open the default system folder instead?" (something to that effect). Outlook then opens My Computer. There's no calendar available, no email....basically it becomes a fancy windows explorer. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling my co...

printing customer statements.
Two of my RMS customers are very unhappy about the lack of options in printing customer statements. I have not been able to find a solution for either customer. Dixie Products, Inc. needs to print selected groups of customer statements. They have different types of customers and have requested the ability to select out which customer statements to print. Dixie upgraded to RMS from Quick Sell 2000. They say QS2000 had the ability to run selected statements and they would not have purchased RMS if they had known of this limitation. Another Customer needs to exclude printing statements w...

Unable to save password in Outlook 2003

Workbook Specific Toolbar Menus
I was proud of myself in creating a new toolbar menu and sub-menu and assigning macros to the menu items until I discovered that the menu appears on the toolbar always now, regardless of the spreadsheet I open. It appears that when I select a custom menu item, it's going out the the spreadsheet where it is stored and executing it against the spreadsheet I have open (great, but that's not what I want). How do I create toolbar menus that only appear for a specific spreadsheet when it is open? -- Steve Steve, The best option is to create the commandbar on the fly, when the work...

Save and save as

Outlook- Customize Outlook today
Hello, After I downloaded windows update I'm no longer able to use the Customize Outlook today button. I get no errors. I get nothing at all. Any idea's how to fix this? Jeff This may help http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08d501c3b28e$fd373620$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > > After I downloaded windows update I'm no longer able to > use the Customize Outlook today button. I get no errors. I > get nothing at all. Any idea's how to fix this? > &...

Saving Images

Why would a Windows Scheduled Task stop working?
Hello: Several weeks ago, I developed a .cmd file that runs a GP macro (.mac file). It runs perfectly. Then, I created a task through Windows Server 2003 Task Scheduler that runs this .cmd. and therefore the macro, automatically. The task works perfectly, when I right-click on the task and choose "Run". And, for three weeks, Task Scheduler ran this .cmd file automatically. Then, a few days ago, it stopped running the .cmd file at its scheduled time. Again, if I right-click on it and choose "Run", it does run. But, why would the Windows Task Scheduler all of a s...

"Unattainable" savings goals

Saving default tabs

Save to unProtect a Document?

Save csv format to dbf format

Macro for Sub totaling multiple sheets
I'm having a problem with a sub total macro. I'm in charge of credit and risk management for a company, and we have about 40 sales agents. Our trial balance needs to be dumped from our system into excel, then broken by sales agent. The problem is each sales agent's aging is not equal, as far as the rows go, I cant seem to get a Marco to work properly. I can make a macro say for the first tab, which might have 50 rows of data, but then the second tab may have 200. The macro was only recorded for 50 rows. How can I do a sub total for each sheet, and have it know to proces...

Daylight Savings Time #2

Personal macros file
I keep a number of blocks of code in my personal.xls startup file just to have them readily at hand and perform routine tasks more quickly (and sometimes to save bits that were hard to figure out how to do). My company has chosen a somewhat chaotic approach to transitioning staff/depts from Excel 2003 to 2007, resulting in my needing to have both application versions on my PC at the same time. Believe me, I KNOW this is not recommended. So, here is my question. I've succeeded in creating one personal.xls file in my startup folder that opens for either application - though...

Automatic save of all messages from a known contact
Hi, I'd like to store automatically all messages from a known CRM Contact. If for example my customers email-address is somebody@somhow.com, I'd like to store automatically all his emails via the Exchange<->CRM Connector regardless to who they are sent to. Is that possible? regards Juergen Tolksdorf Hi Juergen. My company has a product called Effective Email that does exactly what you are asking for. There is a sync event that gets installed on the users inbox. When emails come in, it checks the senders address against the CRM database, and if a match exists, it creates a...

Macro #52
Excel 2002. I have created a macro that runs a complex autofilter (using create macro function), and assigned it to a command button. Filter selects rows with a date either 31/12/2004 or 31/03/2005 ( 168 out of 336 rows ) Sub Period2() ' ' Period2 Macro ' Macro recorded 17/10/2005 by NWCSQARC ' ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+r ' Sheets("Last_4_Separate").Select Selection.AutoFilter Field:=2, Criteria1:="=31/12/2004", Operator:=xlOr, _ Criteria2:="=31/03/2005" End Sub If I run the macro using the command button or the short ...

Custom Lists
I use Excel in Spanish but I need to insert days of the week in english. That is why I created two custom lists, one goes from Monday to Friday and the other one from Monday to Sunday. But when I write Monday in a cell and select to fill series, Excel automatically inserts only the last list I created. How can I differentiate one from the other? Thanks in advance Regards, Emece.- ...