Rows in an Excel worksheet

What limits the size of an Excel worksheet
Why 65537 columns and 256 Rows?
0
anonymous (74721)

By how many bits it takes to store the number of rows or columns.
256  is   2^8     (one byte)
65536  is 256 x 256  or  2^16    (two bytes)

To change this would take a redesign of Excel and almost
certainly much bigger files.   So it is a "Specification Limit"
and you will  find  "specification limits"  if you look in HELP.-
---
HTH,

"Ashima Gera" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00E1926E-FD72-4ACC-B803-9D18BA1912F5@microsoft.com...
> What limits the size of an Excel worksheet ?
> Why 65537 columns and 256 Rows?

0
dmcritchie (2586)
1/14/2004 11:24:13 AM
Ashima

I'm afraid that it is the design. the limit is considered
a reasonable size for a spreadsheet. You can split data
accross worksheets if necessary.

If you are using Excel as a large database for say 200k
parts you would be better using a proper database such as
Access or FoxPro

Regards
Peter

Autofill across worksheets
I maintain a list of custom items that are in production. Each item has a sku and an associated description. I am looking for a way to autofill the description when typing in the sku. My thought is to link two worksheets together where one of them would contain a master list of all sku's and their descriptions. This master list is being exported from another application. Currently the sku and description are in separate columns. Also, if there is an alternate way of doing this please let me know. Thanks. -- Apel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ A...

automatically save some columns in another worksheet
I have 6 worksheets with the same information for different age groups, but I want each branch to send me a summary sheets so that it it easy for me to make a large overall summary of the company. Is it posible to have a system where data from the 6 worksheets will automatically save to the summary worksheet? (I only need some of the columns of data in the summary) Thanks Steve Hi Steve You can look here for code examples http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "steve" <steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Printing Color-Coded Worksheet in Black & White Mode in Excel 2003
I work with farily complex Excel worksheets which require print outs as both hard copy and PDF. I normally keep the formatting as they are and select [Black and White] in [Page Setup] [Sheet], as this preserves the integrity of the financial model while printing out a clean copy for the enduser. However, this function basically converts everyting color-coded to black & white, including cell shading patterns; I normally accentuate certain important cells by shading them in black and using a white font color. While I want the output to be black & white, I do want to preserve this p...

Opening two separate instances of Excel
My users (who are accountants) use dual monitors and would like to open a different Excel file on each monitor for the purposes of reviewing changes between the two. I know that one method of doing this is by opening Excel twice with its shortcut, then highlighting one Excel window and opening an Excel file, then highlighting the other window and opening the other Excel file. Unfortunately, the software that my users use to organize the Excel files does not allow this to be done; it always opens every Excel file in the first Excel window no matter which instance is highlighted. We had a...

How do I link Excel chart axis scale settings to cells?
I want to link a chart's axis scale settings to cells. Is this possible? Hi, You can not directly link the scales setting to cells. Tushar has an addin which help. http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/autochart/index.html Cheers Andy strince wrote: > I want to link a chart's axis scale settings to cells. Is this possible? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Please ignore...I found the answer in another post. "strince" wrote: > I want to link a chart's axis scale settings to cells. Is this possible? ...

Multiple rows of data on a single axis (charting)
I have several rows of data that are separated by several other rows (that I don't want to chart). Is there a way to chart several rows of data on one continuous axis? For example (see below) I want to chart Row 1, Row 3 and Row 5 on one axis that would show a trend of 25, 50, 75, 5, 10, 15, 1, 2, 3. I have tried separting the rows with comas, colons, &, "", + and can't get it to work. I don't want to copy and paste the data into a new format b/c that will take too much time. Any suggestions? Column A Column B Column C Row 1 25 ...

Opening Excel Spreadsheet on a tab #2
When I say tab, I of course mean a sheet -- david.willis ------------------------------------------------------------------------ david.willis's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14697 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=263201 One way: Put this in your ThisWorkbook code module: Private Sub Workbook_Open() Sheets(1).Select End Sub If you're not familiar with macro, see http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm In article <david.willis.1d3hhz@excelforum-nospam.com>, dav...

Open file Slow on Excel 2003
We have upgraded our Office 2000 to 2003 and after the upgrade the response time to open a file on the network or C drive is slow. Once you have click on down arrow next to the look in box it takes a few seconds to respond. All the patches have been loaded. We are running windows XP Any suggetions ...

Excel Not Talking To Outlook [Email Settings] #2
This is a follow up to an older thread on the same problem. Search groups.google.com for the same subject and you'll find the previous thread (which lacked an answer). I'm just posting here for posterity. When sending email from Excel and expecting to see your Outlook contacts box come up for you but instead you see a strange box letting you choose "shared contacts" or "this identity's contacts", the answer is that Internet Explorer is set up to use Outlook Express for email instead of Outlook. Open IE, go to Tools > Internet Options > Programs tab. Chan...

how do I insert multiple rows in excel after every row of data
I need to insert 23 rows after every row that is currently in my spreadsheet For i = Cells(Rows.Count,"A").End(xlUp).Row To 1 Step -1 Cells(i+1,"A").Resize(23,1).Entirerow.Insert Next -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "grantm5" <grantm5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40AB897A-4D38-46AF-934A-2451496EEEC5@microsoft.com... > I need to insert 23 rows after every row that is currently in my spreadsheet ...

Delete rows less than 0
Can this piece of code be adapted easily to delete a row when the active cell value is less than 0? Range("h6:h700").Select Dim rngToSearch As Range Dim wks As Worksheet Dim rngFound As Range Set wks = ActiveSheet Set rngToSearch = wks.Columns(3) Set rngFound = rngToSearch.Find("-") If rngFound Is Nothing Then MsgBox "No Deletions Found" Else Do rngFound.EntireRow.Delete Set rngFound = rngToSearch.FindNext Loop Until rngFound Is Nothing End If App...

Breaking out rows of data, sequentially, into headered columns
Merry Christmas everyone, I highly respect the great minds that solve the many Excel riddles that are posted on this newsgroup. I hope you are all having a great holiday. If anyone is so inclined or feels like solving one on their return, here is my issue... I have existing code below that is quite useful for its former purpose, but I wonder if it could be modified to suit a new application. It probably just needs a little tinkering, but who knows. 1) My raw data consists of sequential (already sorted) numbers in column A, running for unspecified (varying, that is) lengths of...

Excel 2003 calculation set to manual after an update was run
Hi I have an user which uses alot of formulas. Updates ran about 2 weeks ago and since then any spreadsheets she worked on she needs to set the calculations from manual to automatic. When she does start a new spreadsheet calculations is set to automatic, but I need fix the problem with the previous spreadsheets. This setting is saved with the workbook. Just open each of the manual workbooks, set the mode to Automatic and save the workbook. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200735 "AntonZA2" wrote: > Hi > > I have an user which uses alot of formulas. Updates ran a...

Excel Test With Template Wizard
Hi, I�ve been asked to look at making past exam papers into online tests. I don�t know anything about programming, so the way I�ve done it is t use form controls in excel. I was thinking I could set it up as template with data tracking on the network so people could open a cop on their machine, then when they save it, it would feed back into database that could do the marking. I�m ok as far as designing the worksheet so it has option buttons etc for each question. My first problem is that, having created the worksheet, once it i protected, I can�t select any of the option buttons, even...

Unable to save excel worksheet to cd
Cannot save excel worksheet to cdrw. Error message says file is read only. "Deborah Short" <dshort@gcnetmail.net> wrote in message news:065101c35a8a$61ec03f0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Cannot save excel worksheet to cdrw. Error message says > file is read only. Save to HD, then copy to CDRW. ...

Excel 2007 startup
How do I start excel 07 with no blank workbook opening? On previous versions one could start the excel program without opening the blank default workbook, but, I can not find how to shut this off in 2007? "RPB" <RPB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:189FFE77-92D4-4276-BE0E-82A85B0BA1EC@microsoft.com... > How do I start excel 07 with no blank workbook opening? On previous > versions > one could start the excel program without opening the blank default > workbook, > but, I can not find how to shut this off in 2007? Well I've been using Ex...

paste special picture from Excel 2007 to Publisher 2007 doesn't work
I have a group of charts with text in surrounding cells that I want to copy and paste special picture enhanced metafile from Excel into Publisher. I have around 200 groups of these charts to paste into the Publisher file. What happens now is that the paste special command only reveals three options: new table, new text box, and HTML. When I copy paste special into Word the picture enhanced metafile is accessible and the image pastes fine. In Publisher pasting results in worksheet cells and the charts all in pieces and messy. I could copy the Word image into Publisher, but UGH!!200 TIMES. There...

Dates in Excel #8
Why does Excel assume that when you type December 2004 that you want the numeric equivalent and not a text entry? Is this just another illustration of Microsoft knowing what we need before we know it? Thanks I don't know why MS assumes this but you can precede the entry with an apostrophe and it will be text -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "FJB" <FJB0623@aol.com> wrote in message news:1109089977.316088.311020@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Why does Excel assume that when you type December 2004 that you want > the numeric equivalent and not a text entry? Is this jus...

Excel Chart Lines
I had 2003 and recenlty upgraded to 2007. I have a chart that the lines on the Y axis are all scrunched together to practicly make 1 bar instead of the 4 that should be see. I think it's possibly formatting... EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Using the Intercepting Filter Pattern to create a Generic Reusable Processing Pipeline http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/ce017b7f-19e5-4586-b227-c7f21cbe1b3c/using-the-intercepting-fi.aspx ...

Bringing variables from Excel to be used in Microsoft Query
I just started using Microsoft Query and it looks like it does a good job. However, I want it to pass over a special number that represents the number of seconds after 1/1/1970. What I do is create the value using date functions to get the current date then subtract and multiply to get the value. Now I'm trying to figure out how to modifiy Microsoft Query to read that value that's in that cell. Anyone know how I can do that? ...

How to use autofilter in excel with formula reference changing
Hi, I have a table A B C 1 forro 120 2 ment 80 40 3 forro 50 30 4 ment 40 10 5 ment 30 10 6 forro 20 10 7 forro 10 10 8 forro 5 5 Starting from C2, the column C has a formula (=B1-B2) result = 40; (=B2-B3) result = 30; etc... When I apply autofilter the formula in cell C keeps the original information (=B1-B2), and I would like to have a formula to change and shows de result as below (=B1-B3) result = 70; (=B3-B6) result = 30; etc... A B C 1 forro 120 3 forro 50 70 6 forro 20 30 7 forro 10 10 8 forro 5 5 The objective is to have a formula considering jus...

using excel to compare two worksheets
I have two work sheets, one worksheet "RASTER" contains data like: 458 688 689 1208 1209 1651 1847 1848 2403 2404 2606 2616 2675 2677 6121 6609 6690 6691 and the other worksheet PRO-E contains data like: 689 1209 2616 2677 2830 2869 2870 2873 6695 7014 7399 8575 9098 9747 13405 13529 15992 16196 as you can see the two lists contain values with exact matches and also don't have matches. What I want to do is combine or compare the two worksheets and only show me what does not match. I only am concerned with keeping none matching values from worksheet RASTER. Thanks. Rodney...

Efficient Parametric Studies with Excel
Hello, I was hoping to find an easy solution to the following problem. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide. Say I have a single cell whose value is a function of values of two other cells A3 = A2 * A1 If I were to make a multiplication table with A1 on one axis and A2 on the other, would I be able to fill it out by using the function specified above? Up until now, I have had to manually enter in each values into cells A1 and A2 and then 'special paste' the value of A3 into each table entry. This can get quite time consuming for tables with big dimensions. ...

Provide a way to turn off auto-checking excel formulas as I type t
I am constantly running into this horrible design decision to auto-check excel formulas as they are typed. I type in formulas, then add parentheses from the right hand side back to the left to make certain of the calculation orders. Every time I put in a close paren and then move backwards to add the opening paren, Excel interrupts me and pops up a dialog telling me my formula is broken..... WHILE I AM STILL TYPING IT. The worst part is that it requires two clicks of non-default options that alternate positions (i.e. I have to move the mouse t the correct button two separate times) i...

how to maintain hyperlink in excel to pdf conversion
How to maintain the hyperlink in the pdf while performing excel to pdf conversion. If hyperlink is there in excel it must be available in pdf file after conversion. Since this question was asked nine days ago, you probably aren't going to get a real useful answer here, but I did a Google search on: excel.to.pdf hyperlinks The periods join words together could have used: "excel to pdf" hyperlinks There are lots of packages to convert to PDF, and since it looks like many of them appear to include hyperlinks that in itself might not be the problem. There are object hype...