Row selections by row # OR by even/odd rows in another spreadsheet

Is there a way in Excel 2003 to ONLY select ODD numbered rows in a
formula/calculation?
For example, in Sheet1 I have a person's name or company name that is
contained in all odd rows (1, 3, 5, 7....) in column A.  I'm creating a
formula for Sheet2 that references the odd rows of Sheet, but I don't want to
manually change each reference in the formulas for each cell.  Row 2 contains
phone numbers, city, state etc.
The formula is something like
"=if(mid(Sheet1!A1,1,1)="(",A1,mid(Sheet1!A1,5,4)) and I have other similar
but more complex statements for the other columns of Sheet2.
So, how do I JUST reference the ODD rows in another sheet to do the
calculations and comparisons I need?  Once the ODD rows of Sheet1 are
referenced in Sheet2, I can create a similar conditional statement for the
EVEN rows of Sheet1 that will be placed in Sheet2.
Essentially, what I'm trying to do is to parse out the Sheet1 information
that is contained in TWO rows (one odd and one even) so that I have a SINGLE
row of useable data in Sheet2 to import into a database.  It's just that the
source data is two rows and not one and I can't change this.
If you have an alternative idea, great....
TIA,
Tom
0
Tom7430 (437)

Hiding blank rows
I have a spreadsheet with columns, first name, last name, home phone, business phone and cell phone. When I don't have phone information in any of the three columns I would like that column to be hidden or deleted. Can I do this in some automated fashion? Thanks. Michael try adding a column in that column put something like =if(counta(b2-d2)>0,"",1) and use autofilter to hide the 1s "mlkpied" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with columns, first name, last name, home phone, > business phone and cell phone. When I don't have phone information in any of ...

Selecting wave out port
hi? I have a x86 board which has 2 line out and 1 spk out port on it. Using bsquare's atom bsp, I can check the sound is played out from one of them only. If I have to change the wave out port from one ( currently line out ) to spk out, what should I do? From the audio device driver, which code should I modify? It depends on the codec you're using: it's that component which routes the soud data from the audio controller to the actual output. If your audio device driver supports hardware mixer you should be able to route the audio to the desired output using mixe...

Can you lock a drop-down cell so that it sorts with the row?
I have created drop-down cells (type of business) for my client contact list but when I sort that list alphabetically or by last contacted date the drop-down cells don't sort with it. How can I solve that issue? Thanks for the responses! Are these Data Validation dropdown lists? Where is the list range located? i.e. =$A$2:$A$20 If inside your sort area the lists should change to whatever is in A2:A20 after the sort. Tested in 2003 and 2007 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:19:01 -0800, Lisa in Victoria <Lisa in Victoria@discussions.micros...

Macro for merging rows
I have a fairly large spreadsheet that are sorted based on a file # (ie: E0800100, E0800101). The spreadsheet is setup to where each entry is on an individual row as seen below: A B C E0800100 Review.... 1.0 (hr) E0800100 Review.... 2.0 E0800101 Review.... 1.5 E0800102 Review.... .5 I am trying to organize the spreadsheet so that there is only one row per file number and the Descriptions (B) and Time (C) extend along the columns of that row. A. B....

To find the Last row
The following is the pattern of the data I have. I need to know which is the last row which has the data A1 - AAA A2- BBB A3 - <blank> A4 - CCC A5 - DDD A6 - <Blank> A7 - <Blank> A8 - <Blank> A9 - EEE. In the above example I want to get the row number as 9 as the last row which has the data. Can this be acheived by some formula. I tried COUNTA, but it does not serve my purpose. Please help. Thanks Anand ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.Excel...

looking for empty row to paste a range of copied cells
Hi - I am trying to make a code that will copy a range ("A27:L27") on sheet 1 and then look for the next empty row on sheet 2 and paste it in range ("A27:L27") . I would also like the macro to insert a new blank row (or insert the copied row) for the purpose of shifting existing SUM functions on sheet 2 down. I would like those functions to be right below the copied/pasted cells every time the macro is executed. Thanks for any help - Jim A You don't Mention What column you want to sum This code will copy and paste to the fist row and then sum column D Sub Cop...

Row Limit in Excel
I work a lot with excel and I know that the row limit is 65,536, but I need more than that. Is there any way to make the number of rows infinite or at least to give me a certain amount of more rows. If there is please let me know. Thank you. -- Please help Molly, that is all there is, per sheet. -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Molly" <molly_carols@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:FD2C7921-E249-4...

Row colouring that accommodates filtering?
What can be used instead of "=MOD(ROW(),2)=1" that accommodates filtering, pls? The above gives clumps of identically-coloured rows, dependent on the particular filter criteria used. Thank you! :oD As long as there are no empty cells within the filtered list: Assume A1:B1 is the header row. A2:B10 is the data Select the range A2:B10 Conditional Formatting Formula Is: =MOD(SUBTOTAL(3,$A1:$A$2),2)=0 Biff "StargateFanFromWork" <NoSpam@NoJunk.com> wrote in message news:%23wKPl8LmHHA.4768@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > What can be used instead of "=MOD(ROW...

How do I transfer color formats from one work sheet to another
SheetA contain a number of cells formatted in red and a number in blue (most are black). I wish to transfer this color format to SheetB, but offsetting the cells by two columns. Thus if cell A3 is red in SheetA, I want cell C3 to be red in SheetB, and if it is blue I want the color in SheetB to be blue. And I want this for the whole spreadsheet. Any help with a macro? Thanks You could select the region from which you want to transfer and then click on the "Format Painter" button on the standard toolbar. Then on the second sheet, select the column offset 2 from ori...

Using a Check Box in a Subform to select records
I have a Form with a subform and two combo field are used to filter for records in the subform. The records in the subform have a bound check box. When I check one record on the subform and then move my forcus off the subform, every record becomes checked. Any suggestions? Thanks Are you sure the check box is a bound control? The behaviour you are getting suggests that its more likely to be unbound. What does it say in the control's ControlSource property in its properties sheet? If it is bound to a column in the underlying recordset then the behaviour could be explained by ...

Insert row with formatting from row below instead of row above?
My default Excel template has the top row formatted as a header, with bold text and a dark bottom border to distinguish it from the rows below. So if I insert a row at row 2, the new row is formatted like the header. Then I have to select the new row and remove the bold font, remove the dark border, select the header row and reapply the bottom border. Is there a way I can change the insert default so that it takes it's formatting from the row below instead of the row above. Or better yet, so that it has no formatting at all? Hi AFAIK you can't change this behaviour -- Regards Fra...

calculating row by row
I would like to have Excel total the sum of a row 5 of randomly generated numbers in a 6th column, one column at a time. I have no problem generating the random numbers and totalling them but I would like to generate the first number and place it in the total column then when I initiate it generate the second number, add this to the first and place it in the total and so on to the 5th column. Is this possible? Many thanks. Unless I'm missing something here, this formula should do it for you. This is for row 2 on the sheet, and would go into cell F2 =SUM(A2:E2) That formula will &q...

Accessing Client JavaScript after Selecting Row from Grid

Sorting Rows by Color
Excel 2003: Is there a way to sort rows by color? Put all the blue rows together, all the green together, etc? There is but you need to work it. Take a look at http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html#sorting -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "SharonJo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:144901c4f9c9$f734ec80$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Excel 2003: Is there a way to sort rows by color? Put all > the blue rows together, all the green together, etc? ...

buttons disappear when in another country
While trying to demonstrate my super application at a different site, all the buttons and checkboxes disappeared after being visible for only a second. When adding a button it disappeared too, showing only an outline when autosize was set to true. :confused: Back in my own country things went back to normal. I'm using Microsoft Office 2003. Any ideas?? Codepage/localization issue? -- gogo ------------------------------------------------------------------------ gogo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32470 View this thread: http://www.excel...

EXcluding Zeros from the average in a row
HI I am trying to average a row of numbers (F35:U35) that have numeric zeros in some of the cells. However, I would like to exclude them, and the cells from the calculation "=AVERAGE(F35:U35)". Is there a way to do that? Thanks -- Geo Hi Geo This array formula will do the job: =AVERAGE(IF(F35:U35<>0,F35:U35)) To be entered with <Shift><Ctrl><Enter> instead of <Enter>, also if edited later. -- Best Regards Leo Heuser Followup to newsgroup only please. "Geo" <Geo@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:9C2B0B65-1AF...

Flag row if cell values = something specific
Let's say A1 = top and B1 = Bottom in C1, I want to say that if A1 = top and B1 = bottom then the cell background color of C1 should be red. How can I do this? And I need to do this in a macro. I can't use conditional formating from the menu. I have a recorded macro that does all my formatting and I need to add this. "Some Dude" <sdatt@myplace.com> wrote in message news:e9kw7DrfGHA.4864@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Let's say A1 = top > and B1 = Bottom > > in C1, I want to say that if A1 = top and B1 = bottom then the cell > background color of...

How do I read Outlook mail that's in another language?
Take foreign language classes? "jparkx1" <jparkx1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14236015-2690-43C5-8C36-7CE9D4DE2FA5@microsoft.com... : "jparkx1" <jparkx1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14236015-2690-43C5-8C36-7CE9D4DE2FA5@microsoft.com... > > > Ask your correspondent to re-send it ...

How can i move AD users from a domain to another?
Hi, I have a windows 2000 domain in mixed mode. Also Exchange 2003 SP1. I just created a windows subdomain on a windows 2003 server. When i create a user in the subdomain it creates the exchange mailbox and works fine. But i'd like to move some users from the windows domain to the windows subdomain without creating the mailboxes again (first exporting them to PST and importing them later over the new ones) Is that possible? thanks a lot Alex On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 02:19:01 -0700, "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have a windows 2000 do...

Row and columns
In excel my rows are numbered 1 through XXX and my columns are also numbered 1 through XXX. On my other computers using the same current version of Excel the columns are identified using Alpha A,B,C,D etc. Anyone know how to change the columns to Alpha v.s. numbers? Joe, tools, optins, general, and uncheck R1C1 reference style -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Using Excel 2000 & 97 Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Joe" <anonymous@discussions.mic...

User accounts changing themselves to another users details..?
Hi, We're getting an intermittent problem with our CRM 1.2 installation. Randomly, users names and email addresses are changing to that of another user but their logon name is staying the same. This is meaning that when they logon to CRM, their name is showing wrongly and any records assigned to them are showing the wrong name. The name they change to is always the same and the user records changing varies. eg: Say we have 10 users, one of whom is "Joe Bloggs". Today, 3 other users records names had changed so that their first name showed "Joe" and their surn...

I selected row 1 and row 2 to freeze and it is freezing at row 12
I am selecting row 1 and row 2 to freeze and excel keeps freezing at row 12? Select one row only, if you want 2 rows above where it freezes select row 3, that will leave row1 and 2 unaffected when you scroll down -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Lori Brooks" <Lori Brooks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C968CA9B-35A3-427E-993C-D36F3B6D37B7@microsoft.com... >I am selecting row 1 and row 2 to freeze and excel keeps freezing at row >12? Hi, To freeze row 1 & 2 select A3 and then Window|Freeze Panes Mike "Lori Broo...

Renaming catalogs/rows/trees in FRX
Hello - Does anyone know why the Rename option in FRX is greyed out. I have used this before to rename existing catalogs/rows/columns. We are on FRX 6.7. Thanks. Marisol ...

Selecting Items
Hello, I am puzzled on as to why I keep getting an empty string when I try to select an item inserted in CTreeCtrl. I've constructed HTREEITEMS and inserted them into CTreeCtrl. Then I am calling my OnTree(NMHDR* pNMHDR, LRESULT* pResult) function that has these lines: //1. Get tree view object. NM_TREEVIEW* pNMTreeView = (NM_TREEVIEW*)pNMHDR; //2. Construct a TVITEM TVITEM an_item = (TVITEM)pNMTreeView->itemNew; if (an_item.hItem != NULL) { MessageBox(m_tmain.GetItemText(an_item.hItem)); } When I try to GetItemText, I get nothing. It is necessary for me to get item tex...

Delete Rows #2
I would like to be able to delete a row with a name in it based on a cell with that name from another cell in a different worksheet. Any ideas? Thanks, Bernie Hi Bernie This example loop through row 1 - 100 on the activesheet and if the value in A is the same as in Sheets("Yoursheet").Range("A1").Value in delete the row Maybe you can use a Autofilter if you have many rows (faster) See this page for more info http://www.rondebruin.nl/delete.htm Sub Example2() Dim Lrow As Long Dim CalcMode As Long Dim ViewMode As Long Dim StartRow As Long Dim End...