Row names will not move with sort

Each row in my summary table in Sheet1 is hyperlinked to a corresponding table in Sheet2 with additional details.

I need to move the rows in my summary table (Sheet1) and preserve the links to and from the details tables (Sheet2).

I found that I can move rows in Sheet1 with cut & insert and the hyperlinks are maintained.  I can travel from a row in summary table (Sheet1) to details table (Sheet2) and back, even after the corresponding row (Sheet1) was moved.

But if I sort the rows in Sheet1 the  links from Sheet2 back to corresponding rows in Sheet1 lead to presorted locations.  Apparently this is because the Excel Names are not moved in a sort.  They are moved in a cut & insert operation.

Is there a way to sort my summary table so that row names and anchored hyperlinks also move?

Is my database setup awkward in Excel and I need to use Access?  I'm not familiar with Access.   Excel is 2002 SP1.  Thanks.

0
anonymous (74725)

It sounds like you used Insert|Hyperlink to create the links.

Could you use the worksheet function:

	=hyperlink()

instead?

(I don't know anything about Access.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Hiding blank rows
I have a spreadsheet with columns, first name, last name, home phone, business phone and cell phone. When I don't have phone information in any of the three columns I would like that column to be hidden or deleted. Can I do this in some automated fashion? Thanks. Michael try adding a column in that column put something like =if(counta(b2-d2)>0,"",1) and use autofilter to hide the 1s "mlkpied" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with columns, first name, last name, home phone, > business phone and cell phone. When I don't have phone information in any of ...

Time calculations not sorting properly
Hi, a)I have data in an access database which was imported but the some of the times are stored as 1/1/1900 10:35:00 instead of just 10:35, this wreaks havoc when i try to sort them, I did see a CDec() function in access help, but is not available? I did try a CDbl() just to see and it change the other valid times to .786etc and the 1/1/1900 10:35:00 to 2.455etc, not sure what to do here? Thanks Try using the TimeValue function on the field. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "CraigJ" <craigjl2004@yahoo.co.uk&...

Can you lock a drop-down cell so that it sorts with the row?
I have created drop-down cells (type of business) for my client contact list but when I sort that list alphabetically or by last contacted date the drop-down cells don't sort with it. How can I solve that issue? Thanks for the responses! Are these Data Validation dropdown lists? Where is the list range located? i.e. =$A$2:$A$20 If inside your sort area the lists should change to whatever is in A2:A20 after the sort. Tested in 2003 and 2007 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:19:01 -0800, Lisa in Victoria <Lisa in Victoria@discussions.micros...

'fileName.xls' is being modified by name.

Macro for merging rows
I have a fairly large spreadsheet that are sorted based on a file # (ie: E0800100, E0800101). The spreadsheet is setup to where each entry is on an individual row as seen below: A B C E0800100 Review.... 1.0 (hr) E0800100 Review.... 2.0 E0800101 Review.... 1.5 E0800102 Review.... .5 I am trying to organize the spreadsheet so that there is only one row per file number and the Descriptions (B) and Time (C) extend along the columns of that row. A. B....

To find the Last row
The following is the pattern of the data I have. I need to know which is the last row which has the data A1 - AAA A2- BBB A3 - <blank> A4 - CCC A5 - DDD A6 - <Blank> A7 - <Blank> A8 - <Blank> A9 - EEE. In the above example I want to get the row number as 9 as the last row which has the data. Can this be acheived by some formula. I tried COUNTA, but it does not serve my purpose. Please help. Thanks Anand ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.Excel...

looking for empty row to paste a range of copied cells
Hi - I am trying to make a code that will copy a range ("A27:L27") on sheet 1 and then look for the next empty row on sheet 2 and paste it in range ("A27:L27") . I would also like the macro to insert a new blank row (or insert the copied row) for the purpose of shifting existing SUM functions on sheet 2 down. I would like those functions to be right below the copied/pasted cells every time the macro is executed. Thanks for any help - Jim A You don't Mention What column you want to sum This code will copy and paste to the fist row and then sum column D Sub Cop...

Row Limit in Excel
I work a lot with excel and I know that the row limit is 65,536, but I need more than that. Is there any way to make the number of rows infinite or at least to give me a certain amount of more rows. If there is please let me know. Thank you. -- Please help Molly, that is all there is, per sheet. -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Molly" <molly_carols@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:FD2C7921-E249-4...

excel 97 file name problem
When I attempt to save an excel file, the file is saving only under the first initial of the proposed name. For instance, if I attempt to save file as "book1", the file is saved as "b" This just started happening. Any ideas why this is happening? How can it be fixed? I have up to date virus protection and I don't think that is the problem. Any suggestions? TIA Check to see if Excel is running in Windows 95 compatibility mode. There was a post that said: When I disabled compatibility mode the file name problem went away. http://google.com/groups?threadm=020101c30...

Row colouring that accommodates filtering?
What can be used instead of "=MOD(ROW(),2)=1" that accommodates filtering, pls? The above gives clumps of identically-coloured rows, dependent on the particular filter criteria used. Thank you! :oD As long as there are no empty cells within the filtered list: Assume A1:B1 is the header row. A2:B10 is the data Select the range A2:B10 Conditional Formatting Formula Is: =MOD(SUBTOTAL(3,$A1:$A$2),2)=0 Biff "StargateFanFromWork" <NoSpam@NoJunk.com> wrote in message news:%23wKPl8LmHHA.4768@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > What can be used instead of "=MOD(ROW...

Insert row with formatting from row below instead of row above?
My default Excel template has the top row formatted as a header, with bold text and a dark bottom border to distinguish it from the rows below. So if I insert a row at row 2, the new row is formatted like the header. Then I have to select the new row and remove the bold font, remove the dark border, select the header row and reapply the bottom border. Is there a way I can change the insert default so that it takes it's formatting from the row below instead of the row above. Or better yet, so that it has no formatting at all? Hi AFAIK you can't change this behaviour -- Regards Fra...

calculating row by row
I would like to have Excel total the sum of a row 5 of randomly generated numbers in a 6th column, one column at a time. I have no problem generating the random numbers and totalling them but I would like to generate the first number and place it in the total column then when I initiate it generate the second number, add this to the first and place it in the total and so on to the 5th column. Is this possible? Many thanks. Unless I'm missing something here, this formula should do it for you. This is for row 2 on the sheet, and would go into cell F2 =SUM(A2:E2) That formula will &q...

Moving Messages
I have got both Outlook and Outlook Express on my computer, can I move messages from Outlook to Outlook Express or vice versa? How? Jeff -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =----- ...

Accessing Client JavaScript after Selecting Row from Grid

Sorting Rows by Color
Excel 2003: Is there a way to sort rows by color? Put all the blue rows together, all the green together, etc? There is but you need to work it. Take a look at http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html#sorting -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "SharonJo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:144901c4f9c9$f734ec80$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Excel 2003: Is there a way to sort rows by color? Put all > the blue rows together, all the green together, etc? ...

EXcluding Zeros from the average in a row
HI I am trying to average a row of numbers (F35:U35) that have numeric zeros in some of the cells. However, I would like to exclude them, and the cells from the calculation "=AVERAGE(F35:U35)". Is there a way to do that? Thanks -- Geo Hi Geo This array formula will do the job: =AVERAGE(IF(F35:U35<>0,F35:U35)) To be entered with <Shift><Ctrl><Enter> instead of <Enter>, also if edited later. -- Best Regards Leo Heuser Followup to newsgroup only please. "Geo" <Geo@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:9C2B0B65-1AF...

Flag row if cell values = something specific
Let's say A1 = top and B1 = Bottom in C1, I want to say that if A1 = top and B1 = bottom then the cell background color of C1 should be red. How can I do this? And I need to do this in a macro. I can't use conditional formating from the menu. I have a recorded macro that does all my formatting and I need to add this. "Some Dude" <sdatt@myplace.com> wrote in message news:e9kw7DrfGHA.4864@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Let's say A1 = top > and B1 = Bottom > > in C1, I want to say that if A1 = top and B1 = bottom then the cell > background color of...

let user to use macro or vb to save file name
I have some problem about save the file by using filename and use login for example when user login and I will let he/she type his/her code an keep it in A1 like drive to save the file A: or D: USER NAME A1 --> PE1 file exel name --->PE101 and I want to use macro command or vb to save the file lik d:\PE1PE101.xls every time he/she uses the file. another example drive to save the file A: USER NAME A1 --> MA2 file exel name --->MA888 A:\MA2MA888.xls Thank you -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

named cells not referenced in other sheets
how do i fix this situation? ...

Row and columns
In excel my rows are numbered 1 through XXX and my columns are also numbered 1 through XXX. On my other computers using the same current version of Excel the columns are identified using Alpha A,B,C,D etc. Anyone know how to change the columns to Alpha v.s. numbers? Joe, tools, optins, general, and uncheck R1C1 reference style -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Using Excel 2000 & 97 Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Joe" <anonymous@discussions.mic...

Change Domain name in SBS2003
I install a SBS 2003 for a client and named the domain as name.local They have just registered a domain name and I need to change the name from name.local to name2.com. I am not sure how to do this. Hi Tim, If this is the only Exchange Server they have just go into the properties of the Default Virtual Server and to the Delivery tab. Click on the Advanced button at the bottom and then change the FQDN of the Server in here. Make sure you have an A record in the internal DNS for this FQDN and you are set. You also have to add the .com address as an SMTP address in the Recipient Policies. H...

I selected row 1 and row 2 to freeze and it is freezing at row 12
I am selecting row 1 and row 2 to freeze and excel keeps freezing at row 12? Select one row only, if you want 2 rows above where it freezes select row 3, that will leave row1 and 2 unaffected when you scroll down -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Lori Brooks" <Lori Brooks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C968CA9B-35A3-427E-993C-D36F3B6D37B7@microsoft.com... >I am selecting row 1 and row 2 to freeze and excel keeps freezing at row >12? Hi, To freeze row 1 & 2 select A3 and then Window|Freeze Panes Mike "Lori Broo...

Renaming catalogs/rows/trees in FRX
Hello - Does anyone know why the Rename option in FRX is greyed out. I have used this before to rename existing catalogs/rows/columns. We are on FRX 6.7. Thanks. Marisol ...

Insert Comment Function
I am using Excel for our National Guard unit on a LAN system. The spreadsheet I created several of us use but not in a shared mode. Some users when they Insert a Comment in the cell it inputs their name, which we want, some users it simply inserts "USAF User" I assume it looks at who is signed into the LAN but each of us has to do that just to get to the spreadsheet so why does it insert some users names and some it doesn't ? Thanks Excel 2003 uses whatever is in Tools, Options, General, User name. Some companies preset it to the company name. Some users put their pref...

Delete Rows #2
I would like to be able to delete a row with a name in it based on a cell with that name from another cell in a different worksheet. Any ideas? Thanks, Bernie Hi Bernie This example loop through row 1 - 100 on the activesheet and if the value in A is the same as in Sheets("Yoursheet").Range("A1").Value in delete the row Maybe you can use a Autofilter if you have many rows (faster) See this page for more info http://www.rondebruin.nl/delete.htm Sub Example2() Dim Lrow As Long Dim CalcMode As Long Dim ViewMode As Long Dim StartRow As Long Dim End...