Row Limit in Excel

I work a lot with excel and I know that the row limit is 65,536, but I need
more than that.  Is there any way to make the number of rows infinite or at
least to give me a certain amount of more rows.  If there is please let me
know.  Thank you.
--
Please help

Molly, that is all there is, per sheet.
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Molly" <molly_carols@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I work a lot with excel and I know that the row limit is 65,536, but I need
> more than that.  Is there any way to make the number of rows infinite or
> at
> least to give me a certain amount of more rows.  If there is please let me
> know.  Thank you.
> --
> Please help

Hi Molly

unfortunately a limit is a limit :)

suggested options are
1) use a database program rather than excel (ie access)
2) check out quattro pro as i belive it has a lot more rows (i think it's
1,000,000)

Cheers
JulieD

"Molly" <molly_carols@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I work a lot with excel and I know that the row limit is 65,536, but I need
> more than that.  Is there any way to make the number of rows infinite or
> at
> least to give me a certain amount of more rows.  If there is please let me
> know.  Thank you.
> --
> Please help

0
JulieD1 (2295)
1/12/2005 4:10:27 PM
Hey Molly,

I've run into the same problem, and at first it was kind of gratifying.
Remember that commercial where the guy is surfing the internet, and the
computer comes on and says "You've reached the end of the internet".  That's
how I felt the first time this happened to me.

To my knowledge, the limit is the limit.  What I did was create a new
spreadsheet/wookbook, and copy or link the data in the maxed out spreadsheet
to the new one.

Dennis

"Molly" wrote:

> I work a lot with excel and I know that the row limit is 65,536, but I need
> more than that.  Is there any way to make the number of rows infinite or at
> least to give me a certain amount of more rows.  If there is please let me
> know.  Thank you.
> --
> Please help
0
dcook999 (1)
1/12/2005 6:27:02 PM
Sometimes the people at MS actually have good ideas. The row limit is
one of them. They're essentially trying to suggest that if you have more
than 65,536 lines of data in your spreadsheet that perhaps you should be
using some other program, such as a database. In earlier versions of
various spreadsheets the limit was 2048, 4096, 8192, and 16384 rows(all
powers of two).

Corel's Quattro Pro, as another poster has suggested, lets you go up to
a million rows if you insist.

You will spend way too much time trying to fill an infinite number of
rows!

Bill

"Molly" <molly_carols@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I work a lot with excel and I know that the row limit is 65,536, but I
need
more than that.  Is there any way to make the number of rows infinite or
at
least to give me a certain amount of more rows.  If there is please let
me
know.  Thank you.
--
Please help

0
bsharpe (111)

Making a list in Excel automatically go to the top of the same pag
How do I make a list in Excel automatically go to the top of the same page after it reaches the bottom of the first column. Bill A bit unclear what you want. Bottom of first column is A65536 or do you mean some arbitrary "bottom"? Is this for printing purposes or data entry purposes? Anything automatic would involve VBA code. Is that acceptable? Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:31:02 -0800, "Radio Bill" <Radio Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I make a list in Excel automatically go to the top of the same page >after it reache...

Document Not Saved on MS Excel file on W2K Server
I'm not so sure what newsgroup category will this issue fall. I have a file server with Windows 2000 Server SP4 OS and a WIndows NT Workstation desktops. Some of my users complain that when they will try to open an file especially excel file from the server, and when they try to save the file, its prompts for "Document Not Saved", even though that they didn't make the file idle. I have 50 desktop PC and 60 CALs for my server. Please help. Mark I'm not sure what "make the file idle" means, but when excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a...

Charts created in Excel 2003 are not showing up in excel 2007
I have several charts that are displayed as their on worksheets in excel 03 but don't show up in excel 07 how can i fix it so that these charts will display? "RLang07" wrote: > I have several charts that are displayed as their on worksheets in excel 03 > but don't show up in excel 07 how can i fix it so that these charts will > display? I had this exact problem when I upgraded from Excel 2003 to Excel 2007 on my Vista (Home Premium) system. I couldn't work out what the problem was and had given up trying to solve it... However, I somehow managed to fix...

EXCEL PRINTING
Printing on 4x6 Label , no form feed ( paper feed) on printer . on nec p6300 printer And your question is? "jack" wrote: > Printing on 4x6 Label , no form feed ( paper feed) on printer . > on nec p6300 printer The answer is probably to use Mail Merge if you have MS Word, with Excel as the database since Excel doesn't have support for labels, and trying to get it to work for labels is a problem. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcr...

Storage limit message #2
Hello life savers! The message that is sent out from Exchange when you check "Issue Warning" prevents Outlook from responding. If you click the message, the user has to wait for about 5 minutes until Outlook wake up. I also would like to understand how the language of this message is decided. I get both English and Swedish but the users are only using English versions of Outlook. Thanks, Chris ...

Hiding blank rows
I have a spreadsheet with columns, first name, last name, home phone, business phone and cell phone. When I don't have phone information in any of the three columns I would like that column to be hidden or deleted. Can I do this in some automated fashion? Thanks. Michael try adding a column in that column put something like =if(counta(b2-d2)>0,"",1) and use autofilter to hide the 1s "mlkpied" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with columns, first name, last name, home phone, > business phone and cell phone. When I don't have phone information in any of ...

Excel Error: File Already Open
Occasionally when I implement my Excel 97 Add-ins to my colleague&#8217;s computers they receive an error when trying to use the functionality&#8217;s from a button. When they click the button they receive an error that says that the file they trying to access is already open. When I go in and look at how the macro is assigned it is assigning the full path to the workbook. I know that if I reload the buttons when Excel opens I don't have any problems, but is there a way to keep this from happening? I suppose it would have to do with qualifying the following code: With ExcelBu...

Reading an Excel File
Hi, I want to read a MS Excel file. The Excel file is not in tabular format to use ODBC. Could you please advice me how to read the data from an Excel file? Thanks in Advance., Ram Ram avait soumis l'id´┐Że : > Hi, > > I want to read a MS Excel file. The Excel file is not in tabular format > to use ODBC. > > Could you please advice me how to read the data from an Excel file? > > > Thanks in Advance., > Ram See : http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/cspreadsheet.aspx http://www.codeproject.com/KB/office/Excel_DataReader.aspx http://...

Can you lock a drop-down cell so that it sorts with the row?
I have created drop-down cells (type of business) for my client contact list but when I sort that list alphabetically or by last contacted date the drop-down cells don't sort with it. How can I solve that issue? Thanks for the responses! Are these Data Validation dropdown lists? Where is the list range located? i.e. =$A$2:$A$20 If inside your sort area the lists should change to whatever is in A2:A20 after the sort. Tested in 2003 and 2007 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:19:01 -0800, Lisa in Victoria <Lisa in Victoria@discussions.micros...

Macro for merging rows
I have a fairly large spreadsheet that are sorted based on a file # (ie: E0800100, E0800101). The spreadsheet is setup to where each entry is on an individual row as seen below: A B C E0800100 Review.... 1.0 (hr) E0800100 Review.... 2.0 E0800101 Review.... 1.5 E0800102 Review.... .5 I am trying to organize the spreadsheet so that there is only one row per file number and the Descriptions (B) and Time (C) extend along the columns of that row. A. B....

To find the Last row
The following is the pattern of the data I have. I need to know which is the last row which has the data A1 - AAA A2- BBB A3 - <blank> A4 - CCC A5 - DDD A6 - <Blank> A7 - <Blank> A8 - <Blank> A9 - EEE. In the above example I want to get the row number as 9 as the last row which has the data. Can this be acheived by some formula. I tried COUNTA, but it does not serve my purpose. Please help. Thanks Anand ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.Excel...

Row Limit in Excel
I work a lot with excel and I know that the row limit is 65,536, but I need more than that. Is there any way to make the number of rows infinite or at least to give me a certain amount of more rows. If there is please let me know. Thank you. -- Please help Molly, that is all there is, per sheet. -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Molly" <molly_carols@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:FD2C7921-E249-4...

looking for empty row to paste a range of copied cells
Hi - I am trying to make a code that will copy a range ("A27:L27") on sheet 1 and then look for the next empty row on sheet 2 and paste it in range ("A27:L27") . I would also like the macro to insert a new blank row (or insert the copied row) for the purpose of shifting existing SUM functions on sheet 2 down. I would like those functions to be right below the copied/pasted cells every time the macro is executed. Thanks for any help - Jim A You don't Mention What column you want to sum This code will copy and paste to the fist row and then sum column D Sub Cop...

Row colouring that accommodates filtering?
What can be used instead of "=MOD(ROW(),2)=1" that accommodates filtering, pls? The above gives clumps of identically-coloured rows, dependent on the particular filter criteria used. Thank you! :oD As long as there are no empty cells within the filtered list: Assume A1:B1 is the header row. A2:B10 is the data Select the range A2:B10 Conditional Formatting Formula Is: =MOD(SUBTOTAL(3,$A1:$A$2),2)=0 Biff "StargateFanFromWork" <NoSpam@NoJunk.com> wrote in message news:%23wKPl8LmHHA.4768@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > What can be used instead of "=MOD(ROW...

Insert row with formatting from row below instead of row above?
My default Excel template has the top row formatted as a header, with bold text and a dark bottom border to distinguish it from the rows below. So if I insert a row at row 2, the new row is formatted like the header. Then I have to select the new row and remove the bold font, remove the dark border, select the header row and reapply the bottom border. Is there a way I can change the insert default so that it takes it's formatting from the row below instead of the row above. Or better yet, so that it has no formatting at all? Hi AFAIK you can't change this behaviour -- Regards Fra...

mailbox limited
Hi all How can i do this in exchange 2003 I have two distribution group, which are student and staff. I want to set mailbox limited on staff to 40 and student to to 20 How can I acheive it ?? Thanks I would like to know how to do this too.Isn't there what's called a "mail policy" (not in group policy" where you can do this and also set retention time for deleted items, sent items etc for different groups in AD? "hh" wrote: > Hi all > How can i do this in exchange 2003 > I have two distribution group, which are student and staff. I want to set &...

Clipboard....go away forever!!!!!(Excel 2002)
Hello, as you can see by the title, I am pretty annoyed at excel copy/paste clipbaord that keeps popping up everytime I copy a cell. BEFORE YOU ANSWER...please do this quick easy exersice in EXCEL 2002. You need to do this to understand what I am talking about....so try i first. Trust me Do the following in Excel 2002: 1.) On a blank excel sheet or what ever you have open, do a cop (ctrl+C) on lets say cell A1 or whatever cell you want. 2.) Ok now you should see the cell highlited around the boarder right?? 3.) OK now on the same cell do another (ctrl+C) and you should see clipbaord ...

Converting an Excel workbook to PDF
Hi all, I am trying to convert an excel workbook (3 worksheets i.e sheet 1, sheet 2, sheet 3), to pdf. When I click on the convert to pdf button on the toolbar it works away fine, however, it only converts one of the sheets. Does anyone know why it leaves out the other two sheets within the workbook. Can it be done by changing settings and if so - how would you do this??? Regards & thanks, Sketcher. Did you group your sheets before printing to the PDF writer. Don't forget to ungroup your sheets afterwards to prevent damage to grouped sheets. To group sheets add additional she...

calculating row by row
I would like to have Excel total the sum of a row 5 of randomly generated numbers in a 6th column, one column at a time. I have no problem generating the random numbers and totalling them but I would like to generate the first number and place it in the total column then when I initiate it generate the second number, add this to the first and place it in the total and so on to the 5th column. Is this possible? Many thanks. Unless I'm missing something here, this formula should do it for you. This is for row 2 on the sheet, and would go into cell F2 =SUM(A2:E2) That formula will &q...

Accessing Client JavaScript after Selecting Row from Grid

CHECK BOX CONTROL USING EXCEL 2000
I am working on a worksheet that has over 2300 rows. I would like to have one field on each row to contain a true or false value. I'd like to have a check box being referenced to each cell. I'd like to be able to copy the control and have it maintain a relative cell value in the link cell property. Right now when I copy the control to the other 2,300 rows, the link cell is a4 and every control uses the same value at a4. Cell a4 is the only cell that changes values when any check box is clicked. How do I conect the check box control to a specific/different cell without ma...

Sorting Rows by Color
Excel 2003: Is there a way to sort rows by color? Put all the blue rows together, all the green together, etc? There is but you need to work it. Take a look at http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html#sorting -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "SharonJo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:144901c4f9c9$f734ec80$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Excel 2003: Is there a way to sort rows by color? Put all > the blue rows together, all the green together, etc? ...

EXcluding Zeros from the average in a row
HI I am trying to average a row of numbers (F35:U35) that have numeric zeros in some of the cells. However, I would like to exclude them, and the cells from the calculation "=AVERAGE(F35:U35)". Is there a way to do that? Thanks -- Geo Hi Geo This array formula will do the job: =AVERAGE(IF(F35:U35<>0,F35:U35)) To be entered with <Shift><Ctrl><Enter> instead of <Enter>, also if edited later. -- Best Regards Leo Heuser Followup to newsgroup only please. "Geo" <Geo@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:9C2B0B65-1AF...

Flag row if cell values = something specific
Let's say A1 = top and B1 = Bottom in C1, I want to say that if A1 = top and B1 = bottom then the cell background color of C1 should be red. How can I do this? And I need to do this in a macro. I can't use conditional formating from the menu. I have a recorded macro that does all my formatting and I need to add this. "Some Dude" <sdatt@myplace.com> wrote in message news:e9kw7DrfGHA.4864@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Let's say A1 = top > and B1 = Bottom > > in C1, I want to say that if A1 = top and B1 = bottom then the cell > background color of...

Excel #8
What file on the system holds the history of 'Browsed Pages" in the hyperlink menu? I keep getting a ton of pages showing up, mostly all the pop-ups and it gets to be annoying when trying to find the page, one is looking for? TIA I think that excel shares this with Internet Explorer. You can start MSIE and then Tools|Internet options|General Tab Clear history. (You can also get to this via Windows start button|Settings|control panel|Internet Options) Venom8 wrote: > > What file on the system holds the history of 'Browsed Pages" in the > hyperlink menu? I keep...