row fields in pivot tables

I was wondering if you could answer a question about formating information on
Pivot Table spreadsheets in Excel.

You know how one can alloacte column headings in the pivot table layout to
either Page , Row, Column, or Data. Well, when you assign more than one
column heading to Row it creates a hierarchy of levels on different rows. How
does one get it not to do this so you can have this information on the same
row?

Please reply when you get a chance.

Thank you.

Best Wishes,

Saeed
0
saeed (2)

I don't think you can and still keep it a pivottable.

I copy the sheet and then fix that up the way I want (remove subtotals mostly).
Then I convert to values (I lose the pivottable on this copy).

Then I use one of the techniques on Debra Dalgleish's site to fill those rows
with the value above it.

http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html

--

Dave Peterson
0

Example:

Name....Category....Total
Dave......Cat1...........10
..............Cat2...........30
Steve.....Cat1...........50
..............Cat2...........40

Drag Category over Total and release.  Then you'll get:
Name....Cat1.....Cat2....Total
Dave......10........30.......40
Steve.....50........40.......90

Is that what you're looking for?

--
Regards,
Ron

"saeed" wrote:

> I was wondering if you could answer a question about formating information on
> Pivot Table spreadsheets in Excel.
>
> You know how one can alloacte column headings in the pivot table layout to
> either Page , Row, Column, or Data. Well, when you assign more than one
> column heading to Row it creates a hierarchy of levels on different rows. How
> does one get it not to do this so you can have this information on the same
> row?
>
> Please reply when you get a chance.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best Wishes,
>

> Saeed

Hiding blank rows
I have a spreadsheet with columns, first name, last name, home phone, business phone and cell phone. When I don't have phone information in any of the three columns I would like that column to be hidden or deleted. Can I do this in some automated fashion? Thanks. Michael try adding a column in that column put something like =if(counta(b2-d2)>0,"",1) and use autofilter to hide the 1s "mlkpied" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with columns, first name, last name, home phone, > business phone and cell phone. When I don't have phone information in any of ...

fields of contact pages
I'm trying to modify the fields in the contact pages in Outlook. Help says to open View on the contact page and go to "Current View" to add or delete fields but "Current View" is grayed out. What do I need to do? By the way running XP Pro SP1. Thanks ...

Can you lock a drop-down cell so that it sorts with the row?
I have created drop-down cells (type of business) for my client contact list but when I sort that list alphabetically or by last contacted date the drop-down cells don't sort with it. How can I solve that issue? Thanks for the responses! Are these Data Validation dropdown lists? Where is the list range located? i.e. =$A$2:$A$20 If inside your sort area the lists should change to whatever is in A2:A20 after the sort. Tested in 2003 and 2007 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:19:01 -0800, Lisa in Victoria <Lisa in Victoria@discussions.micros...

Macro for merging rows
I have a fairly large spreadsheet that are sorted based on a file # (ie: E0800100, E0800101). The spreadsheet is setup to where each entry is on an individual row as seen below: A B C E0800100 Review.... 1.0 (hr) E0800100 Review.... 2.0 E0800101 Review.... 1.5 E0800102 Review.... .5 I am trying to organize the spreadsheet so that there is only one row per file number and the Descriptions (B) and Time (C) extend along the columns of that row. A. B....

To find the Last row
The following is the pattern of the data I have. I need to know which is the last row which has the data A1 - AAA A2- BBB A3 - <blank> A4 - CCC A5 - DDD A6 - <Blank> A7 - <Blank> A8 - <Blank> A9 - EEE. In the above example I want to get the row number as 9 as the last row which has the data. Can this be acheived by some formula. I tried COUNTA, but it does not serve my purpose. Please help. Thanks Anand ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.Excel...

looking for empty row to paste a range of copied cells
Hi - I am trying to make a code that will copy a range ("A27:L27") on sheet 1 and then look for the next empty row on sheet 2 and paste it in range ("A27:L27") . I would also like the macro to insert a new blank row (or insert the copied row) for the purpose of shifting existing SUM functions on sheet 2 down. I would like those functions to be right below the copied/pasted cells every time the macro is executed. Thanks for any help - Jim A You don't Mention What column you want to sum This code will copy and paste to the fist row and then sum column D Sub Cop...

Row Limit in Excel
I work a lot with excel and I know that the row limit is 65,536, but I need more than that. Is there any way to make the number of rows infinite or at least to give me a certain amount of more rows. If there is please let me know. Thank you. -- Please help Molly, that is all there is, per sheet. -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Molly" <molly_carols@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:FD2C7921-E249-4...

Row colouring that accommodates filtering?
What can be used instead of "=MOD(ROW(),2)=1" that accommodates filtering, pls? The above gives clumps of identically-coloured rows, dependent on the particular filter criteria used. Thank you! :oD As long as there are no empty cells within the filtered list: Assume A1:B1 is the header row. A2:B10 is the data Select the range A2:B10 Conditional Formatting Formula Is: =MOD(SUBTOTAL(3,$A1:$A$2),2)=0 Biff "StargateFanFromWork" <NoSpam@NoJunk.com> wrote in message news:%23wKPl8LmHHA.4768@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > What can be used instead of "=MOD(ROW...

Insert row with formatting from row below instead of row above?
My default Excel template has the top row formatted as a header, with bold text and a dark bottom border to distinguish it from the rows below. So if I insert a row at row 2, the new row is formatted like the header. Then I have to select the new row and remove the bold font, remove the dark border, select the header row and reapply the bottom border. Is there a way I can change the insert default so that it takes it's formatting from the row below instead of the row above. Or better yet, so that it has no formatting at all? Hi AFAIK you can't change this behaviour -- Regards Fra...

calculating row by row
I would like to have Excel total the sum of a row 5 of randomly generated numbers in a 6th column, one column at a time. I have no problem generating the random numbers and totalling them but I would like to generate the first number and place it in the total column then when I initiate it generate the second number, add this to the first and place it in the total and so on to the 5th column. Is this possible? Many thanks. Unless I'm missing something here, this formula should do it for you. This is for row 2 on the sheet, and would go into cell F2 =SUM(A2:E2) That formula will &q...

placing a value in a field
Hello: With the use of VBA, what code would you use to populate the Employee ID field in one window with the same empliyee ID (value) from another open window? Thanks! childofthe1980s Set the value of the second window field = to the value of the first window field. You will need to qualify the name of the field. Put on whichever window event is appropriate to your case - probably the After Open event. I can give you more exact information if you'll give me the object names involved. EmpID.focus (windowname.fieldname) Leslie "childothe1980s" wrote: > Hello: >...

EXcluding Zeros from the average in a row
HI I am trying to average a row of numbers (F35:U35) that have numeric zeros in some of the cells. However, I would like to exclude them, and the cells from the calculation "=AVERAGE(F35:U35)". Is there a way to do that? Thanks -- Geo Hi Geo This array formula will do the job: =AVERAGE(IF(F35:U35<>0,F35:U35)) To be entered with <Shift><Ctrl><Enter> instead of <Enter>, also if edited later. -- Best Regards Leo Heuser Followup to newsgroup only please. "Geo" <Geo@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:9C2B0B65-1AF...

Button to update a field
Can someone point me in the direction of a tutorial to do the following I have a continuous form that allows me to choose the supplier for a product product name | supplier 1 | supplier 2 | supplier 3 | supplier 4 | supplier 5 | text box button button button button button There can only be one supplier, all updates will be done to the item information table. Currently I can do this with a combo box, but would prefer to do with with a buttons. Thanks The standard way to select one item among many is a combo box not buttons...

How can I insert an undo button in the Web version of the Pivot Ta

Accessing Client JavaScript after Selecting Row from Grid

Sorting Rows by Color
Excel 2003: Is there a way to sort rows by color? Put all the blue rows together, all the green together, etc? There is but you need to work it. Take a look at http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html#sorting -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "SharonJo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:144901c4f9c9$f734ec80$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Excel 2003: Is there a way to sort rows by color? Put all > the blue rows together, all the green together, etc? ...

Flag row if cell values = something specific
Let's say A1 = top and B1 = Bottom in C1, I want to say that if A1 = top and B1 = bottom then the cell background color of C1 should be red. How can I do this? And I need to do this in a macro. I can't use conditional formating from the menu. I have a recorded macro that does all my formatting and I need to add this. "Some Dude" <sdatt@myplace.com> wrote in message news:e9kw7DrfGHA.4864@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Let's say A1 = top > and B1 = Bottom > > in C1, I want to say that if A1 = top and B1 = bottom then the cell > background color of...

Populate field based on data returned from Control query
Need some assistance on this one - I have a form that requires either a manually entered ID number or to generate one sequentially. I already have the SQL written to manually increment the ID numbers, but am drawing a blank as to how to get the control to populate the field. For example, a person needs to be entered into the system and they have an existing university-issued ID number. The form allows manual entry of any ID. The functionality required is for the user to click a control (button) that grabs the next available ID from a table (it's actually a single row/column table that the...

Row and columns
In excel my rows are numbered 1 through XXX and my columns are also numbered 1 through XXX. On my other computers using the same current version of Excel the columns are identified using Alpha A,B,C,D etc. Anyone know how to change the columns to Alpha v.s. numbers? Joe, tools, optins, general, and uncheck R1C1 reference style -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Using Excel 2000 & 97 Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Joe" <anonymous@discussions.mic...

Intersection of tables
Hi How can I find intersection of two tables i.e. records in one table which are not in the second table while matching values in two fields simultaneously in each table i.e. matching table1.id1 and table1.id2 with table2.id1 and table2.id2 respectively? Thanks Regards Open to the database window and go to queries. Click on New and select UnMatched Query. See if that will work for you. PC Datasheet Providing Customers A Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:u...

I selected row 1 and row 2 to freeze and it is freezing at row 12
I am selecting row 1 and row 2 to freeze and excel keeps freezing at row 12? Select one row only, if you want 2 rows above where it freezes select row 3, that will leave row1 and 2 unaffected when you scroll down -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Lori Brooks" <Lori Brooks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C968CA9B-35A3-427E-993C-D36F3B6D37B7@microsoft.com... >I am selecting row 1 and row 2 to freeze and excel keeps freezing at row >12? Hi, To freeze row 1 & 2 select A3 and then Window|Freeze Panes Mike "Lori Broo...

CRM 4 workflow and updating read only fields
Having got used to the old CRM 3 workflow process I'm having to optimise some of my workflows now we've upgraded to CRM 4. However I don;t seem to be able to update a field that is marked as read only on the main form. The field shows up as gray'd out in the workflow GUI? Clearly the workflow can update the field in code reguardless of the read status on the form. So as a workaround I ahve to make the field non read only till I've created the workflow and then set it back to read only after. Or am I missing some trick to update a read only field? Thanks ...

New Wine in Old Bottles problem (never use an old form on a new table schema / architecture)
FYI, I trust this is "old news" to Access veterans, but as a newbie it caught me by surprise. RL Anybody have this problem when using an old form on a new database Relationship? I'm pretty sure it's a common problem (hint: don't do it--always generate a new form if you change the primary keys in a database schema / architecture). On Dec 31, 11:31=A0am, "David Cressey" <cresse...@verizon.net> wrote: > "Tony Toews [MVP]" <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote in messagenews:1pfin3d2l= l6t12ntvc659ek9ekt9bv1prj@4ax.com... > > >Thanks....

Renaming catalogs/rows/trees in FRX
Hello - Does anyone know why the Rename option in FRX is greyed out. I have used this before to rename existing catalogs/rows/columns. We are on FRX 6.7. Thanks. Marisol ...

Delete Rows #2
I would like to be able to delete a row with a name in it based on a cell with that name from another cell in a different worksheet. Any ideas? Thanks, Bernie Hi Bernie This example loop through row 1 - 100 on the activesheet and if the value in A is the same as in Sheets("Yoursheet").Range("A1").Value in delete the row Maybe you can use a Autofilter if you have many rows (faster) See this page for more info http://www.rondebruin.nl/delete.htm Sub Example2() Dim Lrow As Long Dim CalcMode As Long Dim ViewMode As Long Dim StartRow As Long Dim End...