Row and columns

In excel my rows are numbered 1 through XXX and my
columns are also numbered 1 through XXX. On my other
computers using the same current version of Excel the
columns are identified using Alpha A,B,C,D etc. Anyone
know how to change the columns to Alpha v.s. numbers?
0
anonymous (74739)

Joe, tools, optins, general, and uncheck R1C1 reference style

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2000 & 97
"Joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In excel my rows are numbered 1 through XXX and my
> columns are also numbered 1 through XXX. On my other
> computers using the same current version of Excel the
> columns are identified using Alpha A,B,C,D etc. Anyone
> know how to change the columns to Alpha v.s. numbers?

0
newspab (274)
10/18/2003 3:03:37 AM
Thanks!!!!!

benefit from it
>** remove news from my email address to reply by email **
>"Joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> In excel my rows are numbered 1 through XXX and my
>> columns are also numbered 1 through XXX. On my other
>> computers using the same current version of Excel the
>> columns are identified using Alpha A,B,C,D etc. Anyone
>> know how to change the columns to Alpha v.s. numbers?
>

>.

0
anonymous (74739)
10/18/2003 3:10:54 AM
Have a look in "tools"options general tab. R1C1 should be
unchecked.

0
anonymous (74739)

Hiding blank rows
I have a spreadsheet with columns, first name, last name, home phone, business phone and cell phone. When I don't have phone information in any of the three columns I would like that column to be hidden or deleted. Can I do this in some automated fashion? Thanks. Michael try adding a column in that column put something like =if(counta(b2-d2)>0,"",1) and use autofilter to hide the 1s "mlkpied" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with columns, first name, last name, home phone, > business phone and cell phone. When I don't have phone information in any of ...

How do I set up column charts' x values in 'm' ie. 300m, 600m etc
I am learning charting in Excel. How do I display x values axis as 300m, 600m, 900m while the values displayed inside the columns are 256.4, 488.7 and 822.3 You make an XY chart not a Line chart. Line charts are used when the x-values are categories (text or numbers that are not used numerically like serial numbers) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "t4gbg" <t4gbg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0A54F21-94AB-4F5B-BF63-1922D8E2B262@microsoft.com... >I am learning charting in Excel. How do I display x ...

Can you lock a drop-down cell so that it sorts with the row?
I have created drop-down cells (type of business) for my client contact list but when I sort that list alphabetically or by last contacted date the drop-down cells don't sort with it. How can I solve that issue? Thanks for the responses! Are these Data Validation dropdown lists? Where is the list range located? i.e. =$A$2:$A$20 If inside your sort area the lists should change to whatever is in A2:A20 after the sort. Tested in 2003 and 2007 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:19:01 -0800, Lisa in Victoria <Lisa in Victoria@discussions.micros...

Creating a Formula to Format Column automatically? #5
They're just name values, pulled from a database. What was strange i that some of the formats tok correctly, others applied another condito (i.e. Sally Smith was supposed to be green but came out red)P -- bludovic ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bludovico's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1480 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26434 ...

Macro for merging rows
I have a fairly large spreadsheet that are sorted based on a file # (ie: E0800100, E0800101). The spreadsheet is setup to where each entry is on an individual row as seen below: A B C E0800100 Review.... 1.0 (hr) E0800100 Review.... 2.0 E0800101 Review.... 1.5 E0800102 Review.... .5 I am trying to organize the spreadsheet so that there is only one row per file number and the Descriptions (B) and Time (C) extend along the columns of that row. A. B....

To find the Last row
The following is the pattern of the data I have. I need to know which is the last row which has the data A1 - AAA A2- BBB A3 - <blank> A4 - CCC A5 - DDD A6 - <Blank> A7 - <Blank> A8 - <Blank> A9 - EEE. In the above example I want to get the row number as 9 as the last row which has the data. Can this be acheived by some formula. I tried COUNTA, but it does not serve my purpose. Please help. Thanks Anand ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.Excel...

add high/low/close lines to a stacked column chart
I need to add high/low/close lines to a stacked column chart. The high/low/close values are unique, and each one corresponds with one of the stacked bars. they should be on the same y-axis Or I can add points next to each column of my stacked column chart and then add custom error bars to those points. Either way will work, but I can't figure out how to do either of these options. Thanks Do you have a bunch of stacked bars, and you're showing the HLC for each? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http:/...

Row Limit in Excel
I work a lot with excel and I know that the row limit is 65,536, but I need more than that. Is there any way to make the number of rows infinite or at least to give me a certain amount of more rows. If there is please let me know. Thank you. -- Please help Molly, that is all there is, per sheet. -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Molly" <molly_carols@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:FD2C7921-E249-4...

looking for empty row to paste a range of copied cells
Hi - I am trying to make a code that will copy a range ("A27:L27") on sheet 1 and then look for the next empty row on sheet 2 and paste it in range ("A27:L27") . I would also like the macro to insert a new blank row (or insert the copied row) for the purpose of shifting existing SUM functions on sheet 2 down. I would like those functions to be right below the copied/pasted cells every time the macro is executed. Thanks for any help - Jim A You don't Mention What column you want to sum This code will copy and paste to the fist row and then sum column D Sub Cop...

Row colouring that accommodates filtering?
What can be used instead of "=MOD(ROW(),2)=1" that accommodates filtering, pls? The above gives clumps of identically-coloured rows, dependent on the particular filter criteria used. Thank you! :oD As long as there are no empty cells within the filtered list: Assume A1:B1 is the header row. A2:B10 is the data Select the range A2:B10 Conditional Formatting Formula Is: =MOD(SUBTOTAL(3,$A1:$A$2),2)=0 Biff "StargateFanFromWork" <NoSpam@NoJunk.com> wrote in message news:%23wKPl8LmHHA.4768@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > What can be used instead of "=MOD(ROW...

fix cell contents before deleting column from which formula's are based
I want to e-mail a spreadsheet to someone showing only the calculated results and deleting the column from which the formula's are based. I have done this (fixing the cell contents) before but can't remember how and am obviously not wording my query correctly for the help function. Thanks. Erica Copy, paste special, values? then delete the column? >-----Original Message----- >I want to e-mail a spreadsheet to someone showing only the >calculated results and deleting the column from which the >formula's are based. I have done this (fixing the cell >cont...

Insert row with formatting from row below instead of row above?
My default Excel template has the top row formatted as a header, with bold text and a dark bottom border to distinguish it from the rows below. So if I insert a row at row 2, the new row is formatted like the header. Then I have to select the new row and remove the bold font, remove the dark border, select the header row and reapply the bottom border. Is there a way I can change the insert default so that it takes it's formatting from the row below instead of the row above. Or better yet, so that it has no formatting at all? Hi AFAIK you can't change this behaviour -- Regards Fra...

2 axis column chart
Anybody who knows how to make a column chart with 2 different valu axis' -- MartinN ----------------------------------------------------------------------- MartinNT's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1565 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27190 Make the chart with two data series Right click on one of the data series in the chart; select Format Data Series, open the Axis tab; click Secondary axis It needs to data series. It you have only one then you need to reproduce the values in another column and make a...

calculating row by row
I would like to have Excel total the sum of a row 5 of randomly generated numbers in a 6th column, one column at a time. I have no problem generating the random numbers and totalling them but I would like to generate the first number and place it in the total column then when I initiate it generate the second number, add this to the first and place it in the total and so on to the 5th column. Is this possible? Many thanks. Unless I'm missing something here, this formula should do it for you. This is for row 2 on the sheet, and would go into cell F2 =SUM(A2:E2) That formula will &q...

adding every third column
i need a formaula that adds every third column i.e. formula in cell A1 adds D1,G1 ect ect can some one help with this? See your other post -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "gma" <gma@mircosoft.com> wrote in message news:49DC4D95-4FAA-4845-A2CF-9C0E5E07EF9A@microsoft.com... >i need a formaula that adds every third column i.e. formula in cell A1 adds > D1,G1 ect ect can some one help with this? ...

Sorting Rows by Color
Excel 2003: Is there a way to sort rows by color? Put all the blue rows together, all the green together, etc? There is but you need to work it. Take a look at http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html#sorting -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "SharonJo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:144901c4f9c9$f734ec80$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Excel 2003: Is there a way to sort rows by color? Put all > the blue rows together, all the green together, etc? ...

Accessing Client JavaScript after Selecting Row from Grid

Column widths #4
To adjust the width of the columns, I first select the columns then use FORMAT/COLUMN/AUTOFIT SELECTION. I then do FILE/SAVE and FILE/CLOSE. Then, when I do FILE/OPEN, the column-widths are the same as they were before I used AUTOFIT. Why aren't the column-widths being saved? If you're opening the "csv" file from Excel the width will not get saved, since it's not an Excel file... Are you using xl97? There have been lots of posts complaining that sometimes xl97 won't keep the columnwidths between closing and reopening. One suggestion is to make sure that ...

EXcluding Zeros from the average in a row
HI I am trying to average a row of numbers (F35:U35) that have numeric zeros in some of the cells. However, I would like to exclude them, and the cells from the calculation "=AVERAGE(F35:U35)". Is there a way to do that? Thanks -- Geo Hi Geo This array formula will do the job: =AVERAGE(IF(F35:U35<>0,F35:U35)) To be entered with <Shift><Ctrl><Enter> instead of <Enter>, also if edited later. -- Best Regards Leo Heuser Followup to newsgroup only please. "Geo" <Geo@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:9C2B0B65-1AF...

How do I add a horizontal data line to a column chart?
I have two columns of data which I have charted, now I would like to put the differences between the two. For instance, if I have 926-843= 83, I want to be able to put that number on my chart to show the difference. Thanks -- DMM http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "soconfused" <soconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A1331C2-DD17-43B0-B0BF-962B052D4626@microsoft.com... >I have two columns ...

Flag row if cell values = something specific
Let's say A1 = top and B1 = Bottom in C1, I want to say that if A1 = top and B1 = bottom then the cell background color of C1 should be red. How can I do this? And I need to do this in a macro. I can't use conditional formating from the menu. I have a recorded macro that does all my formatting and I need to add this. "Some Dude" <sdatt@myplace.com> wrote in message news:e9kw7DrfGHA.4864@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Let's say A1 = top > and B1 = Bottom > > in C1, I want to say that if A1 = top and B1 = bottom then the cell > background color of...

Row and columns
In excel my rows are numbered 1 through XXX and my columns are also numbered 1 through XXX. On my other computers using the same current version of Excel the columns are identified using Alpha A,B,C,D etc. Anyone know how to change the columns to Alpha v.s. numbers? Joe, tools, optins, general, and uncheck R1C1 reference style -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Using Excel 2000 & 97 Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Joe" <anonymous@discussions.mic...

I selected row 1 and row 2 to freeze and it is freezing at row 12
I am selecting row 1 and row 2 to freeze and excel keeps freezing at row 12? Select one row only, if you want 2 rows above where it freezes select row 3, that will leave row1 and 2 unaffected when you scroll down -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Lori Brooks" <Lori Brooks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C968CA9B-35A3-427E-993C-D36F3B6D37B7@microsoft.com... >I am selecting row 1 and row 2 to freeze and excel keeps freezing at row >12? Hi, To freeze row 1 & 2 select A3 and then Window|Freeze Panes Mike "Lori Broo...

Command Button Macro to Expand/Collapse Grouped Columns
Good Afternoon, I'm not sure if this is possible but, what I'm trying to do is instead of users seeing and using the +/- to expand column groups I'd like to use command buttons and turn off the view of the groupings....An additional nice feature of the button macro would be to unprotect/protect the sheet. I appreciate any help you can offer in advance... Respectfully, Sam Sub cmdBtn() Range("B:C").Columns.ShowDetail = False End Sub Try this: this is assuming column "A" has the +/- and column "B" and "C' are part of ...