Cells in my Excel spreadsheet appear to be empty.  However, when I use
Edit/Go To/Special/Blanks, I get "No cells were found".

In the past, Ron Bovey suggested going to the WWW.APPROS.COM website,
download ExcelUtilities and then use the "Trim Selection" utility to
remove the characters that are making the cells not empty.

Since then, I've gone to the WWW.APPROS.COM website and downloaded the
ASAP Utilities.  However, I can seem to find the "Trim Selection" nor
any utility that will do the same thing.

Help!
0
gcotterl (63)

Try going to Rob (not Ron) Bovey's site:

   http://www.appspro.com/utilities/ExcelUtils.asp

(not appros.com) and download his Excel Utilities (not ASAP Utilities).
Install the Excel Utilities add-in to get the Trim Selection feature.

If you're trying to remove spaces from otherwise empty cells, you can
also choose the Edit/Clear menu item.

In article <81c7cd75.0402070102.64503adb@posting.google.com>,
 gcotterl@co.riverside.ca.us (Gary) wrote:

> Cells in my Excel spreadsheet appear to be empty.  However, when I use
> Edit/Go To/Special/Blanks, I get "No cells were found".
>
> In the past, Ron Bovey suggested going to the WWW.APPROS.COM website,
> download ExcelUtilities and then use the "Trim Selection" utility to
> remove the characters that are making the cells not empty.
>
> Since then, I've gone to the WWW.APPROS.COM website and downloaded the
> ASAP Utilities.  However, I can seem to find the "Trim Selection" nor
> any utility that will do the same thing.
>
> Help!
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
2/7/2004 9:20:47 AM
One more option:

Use a formula in another cell that points at one of the troublesome cells.

=len(a1)

If that returns 0, then I bet you had a formula that evaluated to "" and you did
Copy|paste special values.  This kind of cell looks empty, but it's not.

You can see an apostrophe in that cell if you turn on:

tools|options|transition tab
check Transition navigation keys.
(turn it off when you're done.)

A quick way to "fix" these is to select the range (ctrl-A for the whole
worksheet)

Edit|replace
Find what:  (leave blank)  (not even a space!)
Replace with:  $$$$$  (any unique set of characters)

Then do it again in reverse
Edit|replace
Find what:  $$$$$  (that unique set of characters)
Replace with:  (leave blank)   (not even a space!)

===
On the other hand, if you really have spaces (or other characters), then this
won't fix your problem.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com