Return the "name box" to the tool bar.

The "name box" disappeared from the tool bar.  The name box is ususally on
the left end of the format tool bar.  It allows the user to view the
underlining formulas etc. as opposed to the data or answer displayed in the
cell.

One way:

Tools/Customize. In the Toolbars pane, select Formatting toolbar (e.g.,
"Formatting" highlighted, not just the checkbox checked). Click Reset.

In article <8E82A125-6086-4686-8E53-9F96823C083E@microsoft.com>,
 ^mike^ <^mike^@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> The "name box" disappeared from the tool bar.  The name box is ususally on
> the left end of the format tool bar.  It allows the user to view the
> underlining formulas etc. as opposed to the data or answer displayed in the
> cell.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
6/7/2005 9:14:01 PM
Hi, Thanks for the help, but thr name box did not reappear.  Font and size
drop downs but not my name box.

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

> One way:
>
> Tools/Customize. In the Toolbars pane, select Formatting toolbar (e.g.,
> "Formatting" highlighted, not just the checkbox checked). Click Reset.
>

> In article <8E82A125-6086-4686-8E53-9F96823C083E@microsoft.com>,
>  ^mike^ <^mike^@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > The "name box" disappeared from the tool bar.  The name box is ususally on
> > the left end of the format tool bar.  It allows the user to view the
> > underlining formulas etc. as opposed to the data or answer displayed in the
> > cell.

0
Mike1154 (1216)
6/15/2005 2:46:02 PM
Mike

The "name box" does not display the formula in a cell.

The Formula bar is what you are looking for.  It has the name box(for showing
names) at the left end.

Go to View>Formula Bar and check it.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:46:02 -0700, ^mike^ <mike@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi, Thanks for the help, but thr name box did not reappear.  Font and size
>drop downs but not my name box.
>
>"JE McGimpsey" wrote:
>
>> One way:
>>
>> Tools/Customize. In the Toolbars pane, select Formatting toolbar (e.g.,
>> "Formatting" highlighted, not just the checkbox checked). Click Reset.
>>

>> In article <8E82A125-6086-4686-8E53-9F96823C083E@microsoft.com>,
>>  ^mike^ <^mike^@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > The "name box" disappeared from the tool bar.  The name box is ususally on
>> > the left end of the format tool bar.  It allows the user to view the
>> > underlining formulas etc. as opposed to the data or answer displayed in the
>> > cell.

0
Gord

Change size of name box
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C3D233.5A184190 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is it possible to change the size of the name box ? And how do you do it = ? Some of my range's names are to long to fit in the actual name box. Thanks in Advance, and may all of you have a healthy 2004 Gilbert ------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C3D233.5A184190 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HT...

THE NAME BOX
I have been using commands/formulas where i need to specify range names farily often. It is not so burdensome that i need to download the add-in, but i am interested in anyone that know a quic command that will take you from being active in a worksheet, to being active in the "Name Box" where i can specify a range name. Anyone? jws >From the keyboard, hold down <Alt> and press I N D. Hope this helps. Pete john.shaddix@gmail.com wrote: > I have been using commands/formulas where i need to specify range names > farily often. It is not so burdensome that i need t...

Editing Name Box
The 'Name Box' which appears in the Top right of the toolbar just beneath the font box or fole menu. This dispalys the cell u r in plus other things like print area. How can i re-edit, delete remove listings in that box. E.g. I created a 2 Print Area which now can be selected directly by clicking on the name box but I want to remove one of them and re-edit the other. Thx Gunjani Use Insert|Name|Define You can adjust the ranges or delete the names and recreate the way you like. Gunjani wrote: > > The 'Name Box' which appears in the Top right of the toolbar just &g...

how to increase size of "name box" and "contents of cell " displa.
need to enlarge the size of the "name box" and Contents of cell" inorder to edit without using "F2" I don't quite understand what you want. If the cell is too small try changing the zoom on the standard toolbar or change the cell size highlighting the rows and then format>row height>change the number in the pop up box. To edit a cell you can double click in it. If that is not working you need to go to tools>options>edit tab and put a tick in the 'edit directly in cell' box hope this helps -- John MOS Master Instructor Office 2000,...

Return the Name Box/Current Cell Address
I would like to know how to program one cell to always return the valu shown in the name box (the current cell designation of the cursor) -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could use a two step process: First the formula: =CELL("address") But it'll only update when excel recalculates. Hit F9 to force it to recalc when you want to rely on that value. "Ecnerlac <" wrote: > > I would like to know how to program one cell to always return the value > shown in the name box (the current cell designation of the cursor). > > --- >...

Define Local Name using Name Box
I have an Excel 97 file example with sheets "Red" and "Blue". In cell Red:A1 the range name "SheetName" has been defined. I would like to define the same range name "SheetName" in cell Blue:B1 as a local name, using the Name Box on the left-hand side of the formula bar, rather than Insert | Name | Define from the menu. I have seen the syntax previously on this, and have forgotten the procedure. Thanks for your help. Chris S. Just include the sheet name in the name box: Sheet2!SheetName note that SheetName will still be a workbook-level na...

Keyboard shortcut to Name Box
Just below the main toolbar is the Formula Bar.. and to the left of that is the Name Box. One can select and name a Cell RANGE by typing the cell-limits in the Name Box such as B2:Z52 (i.e. upper left : lower right) The question is.. what's the shortcut (hotkey) to engage the Name Box? so that a range can be immediately typed in? -Gregory Gregory F5 key will do the trick. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On 22 Feb 2007 10:10:30 -0800, "Gregory" <gabbey@dynanet.com> wrote: >Just below the main toolbar is the Formula Bar.. and to the left of >that is the Name Box. ...

Simple Question............Deleting "Name Box" name!
Hi, Say you have a range named "ABC" in Name Box. How do you delete it? Thanks, Mike XL prior 2007: Insert>Name>Define> PICK YOUR NAME > Delete On 4 Dec, 14:58, Mike <mas_it_2...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Say you have a range named "ABC" in Name Box. How do you delete it? > > Thanks, > Mike ...

name box
Hallo, very basic question, but it is making me crazy. I've used the "name box" to label some cells. What is strange, I'm not more able to rename them or remove the "label".. Any trick I'm not aware of? thanks *pimar -- pimar ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pimar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=5386 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375030 Click on a cell that you have named Then click on Insert (on the menu bar) Choose Name > Defi...

Goto / Name Box
Hi Group, How do I increase the width of the aforementioned? or is it even possible? Some of my range names are quite long and the current width makes it difficult to figure out which are which, for example: PHOTOGRAPHIC - Courses PHOTOGRAPHIC - Libraries PHOTOGRAPHIC - Fulfillment etc, all show as PHOTOGRA... TIA, Ron -- Regards, Ron ================================= www.MinsterEbooks.co.uk the ebook site with a difference. Samples - "Try Before You Buy", Some ebooks in hardcopy are avauilable on ebay ID: ronwood50. ================================ ...

Define name box size too small for viewing large formulas
Hi, When we create a new name using insert and define name then if the formula is long it becomes difficult to view the whole formula. Also one is not able to use navigation buttons left,right here as if we do that then the formula gets modified. is there any way to see the whole formula. Like for creating ever expanding validation list using Debra's technique one uses offset etc but one is not able to view the whole big formula. Please guide me. Regards, Hari India Hi try hitting F2 while in this text box. After this you should be able to navigate within this box. -- Regards Frank ...

Name Box......how can i enter names more efficiently?
Hi, I have several field that I need to name. If I have the names of the field in cells (in the cells, not the name box) of another worksheet, is there a way I can copy and paste the text in the cells to the name box of another cell? I think a macro is required for this, but I'm not sure how to do it. Any advice? Thanks in advance -- tegant ------------------------------------------------------------------------ tegant's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30278 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=499483 Som...

What does _v0000 mean on the name box?
I am working with vb application that goes through excel worksheets which have pictures in it. The pictures that were addressable have 'Picture 1' in the Name box and my code could access them because Worksheet(1).Pictures.Count returns a non zero value. For those pictures that when clicked shows a label in the Name box as '_v0000' , the expression Worksheet(2).Pictures.Count returns a 0, which means that it is not recognizing that as a picture. Is there any other object or collection other than Pictures that those identified with _v0000 pertain to? Thanks ! "Sha...

Dynamic range does not appear in name box
I have defined a dynamic range using the offset and counta functions in the define name box. The name works fine in my formulas, but does not appear in the drop-down name box on the formula bar. Is there a way to get this name to appear there? Thanks. Dave Nope. But you could use Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) Name Manager: You can find it at: NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp DaveNadler wrote: > > I have defined a dynamic range using the offset and counta functions in the > define name box. The name works fine in my ...

how do I edit a name in the name box
I have been working on an Excel 2007 sheet and want to edit some of the names in the name box but cant seem to work it out can some-one please help, thank you In EXCEL 2007 take the following actions:- Formulas / Defined Names group / Name Manager (pop up window of the same name should launch) / in here you will find your range names / select the one you want to change by clicking on it / Edit . . . / change as desired and hit OK. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Craig" wrote: > I have been working on an Excel 2007 sheet and want ...

Editing the name box
I entered a name in the name box for the top left cell of a form but when I clicked on the name, the cell showed up at the bottom right of the screen. I was successful in creating a name for a different form (the starting cell shows up at the top left of the screen), but I can't get the first form's starting cell out of the bottom of the screen. Now I have four different names for the same form in the name box. How do I clear the name box of useless names? How do I get the starting cell at the top left of the screen? Insert/Name/Define, then find the name, then click Delete....

Only see name box and formula box where is the rest?
Hi, I accidently unchecked an option because of which now when I open excel all i see is the name box and the formula box and the worksheet. I do not see the menu nor the toolbar options. I have tried the Alt+T C but it doesnot work. How do I make the toolbars and the menu show up again. thx view/toolbars/standard and formatting Can you see the File / Edit / View menu bar? "vik" wrote: > Hi, > > I accidently unchecked an option because of which now when I open excel all > i see is the name box and the formula box and the worksheet. I do not see the > menu n...

Excel
Dear Community, How can I change the size of the name box so I can see the whole name I gave to a specific range? Thanks, Marton Excel 2007 allows you do to this. In earlier versions, you cannot change the size of the box itself. You can, however, widen the width when it drops down. See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NameBox.htm -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com (email address is on the web site) "VilMarci" <dontsend@here.mail> wrote in message news:uyhsjnDUHHA.1016@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Dear ...

name box in excel 2003
i am new to excell and i have a document that i got from work that has multiple worksheets, that drop down in the "name box" it says i get them but i cannot get back to my original document.. sorry dont know how else to describe this. thanks T "that dropdown in the 'name box' it says".... What is IT? The dropdown? The name box? "it says I get them"... What is THEM? "back to my original document"... Can you see your sheet tabs? I can only envision that you have a workbook with sheet tabs hidden ( to fix, go to Tools-->Options-->View an...

Small Name Box
Hi, The name box in MS Excel is rather small and narrow. Is there a way to expand it ? -- Regards, Adrian Hi Adrian check out http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NameBox.htm Cheers JulieD "Adrian" <xinke@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OdxnpssdEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > The name box in MS Excel is rather small and narrow. Is there a way to > expand it ? > -- > Regards, > Adrian > > ...

Name Range not displaying in Name Box
I created a worksheet a few months ago... that had a column with cells that we gave a name. We referenced some formulas to this name range.. and everything worked out fine. Yesterday.. I open the worksheet and highlight those exact cells to see the name range.. and its no longer there... I also go to insert>name.. and theres aren't any names listed... I go to my formulas.. and I do SEE the name range in the formula... what happened to my name range? With ActiveWorkbook ..Names.Visible:=False 'true End With -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "kvc...

Name Box #2
Hi Everybody How do you create Hidden Names for ranges? I would like to name a range of cells and not have the name appear in the drop down Name box, but be able to refer to it in VBA code. I am using Excel 2002 Many thanks Hi PraxisPete, Try something like: '=============>> Public Sub Tester03() With ActiveWorkbook .Names.Add "Test", _ RefersTo:=.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1"), _ Visible:=False End With End Sub '<<============= --- Regards, Norman "PraxisPete" <PraxisPete@discussions.micr...

Name Box sizing
Is there a way to make the Name Box on the Formula bar wider? Chip Pearson describes a way: http://cpearson.com/excel/NameBox.htm If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm KenInPortland wrote: > > Is there a way to make the Name Box on the Formula bar wider? -- Dave Peterson ...

name box reseting
does anybody know how to reset the indexing sequence for inserte pictures in the name box on the top left next to the formula bar -- lrod184 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- lrod1843's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2434 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37945 If I close and reopen the workbook, the sequencing seems to start over. But maybe just renaming the pictures (to something significant) would be better. Select the picture and type the name in the namebox. (Remembe...

Return the "name box" to the tool bar.
The "name box" disappeared from the tool bar. The name box is ususally on the left end of the format tool bar. It allows the user to view the underlining formulas etc. as opposed to the data or answer displayed in the cell. One way: Tools/Customize. In the Toolbars pane, select Formatting toolbar (e.g., "Formatting" highlighted, not just the checkbox checked). Click Reset. In article <8E82A125-6086-4686-8E53-9F96823C083E@microsoft.com>, ^mike^ <^mike^@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > The "name box" disappeared from the tool bar. Th...