Return the Name Box/Current Cell Address

I would like to know how to program one cell to always return the valu
shown in the name box (the current cell designation of the cursor)

You could use a two step process:

First the formula:
=CELL("address")

But it'll only update when excel recalculates.  Hit F9 to force it to recalc
when you want to rely on that value.

"Ecnerlac <" wrote:

> I would like to know how to program one cell to always return the value
> shown in the name box (the current cell designation of the cursor).
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10083)
4/23/2004 12:49:11 AM
Thanks a million!  That will do

Question on defining a name
If I select <Insert><Name><Define> I can define something e.g (=0.95) as, say, discount rate. Is there a limit to how many defintions you can make? For example, I have made 13 definitions in the define dialog box but cannot make anymore. They simply do not appear. Am I to assume that 13 is the limit? All help welcome. Alex, As far as I know, there is no limit on the number of names in a workbook. I've done several projects with many thousands of names each. I don't know why you are having the problems you describe. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP -...

Font formatting in Active X Control boxes
I've created a form using Developer Contols Active X Controls, specifically a text box field. I've highlighted the entire document and set the font at Arial 12 pt. Some of the text box fields fill with Arial 12 pt. and some fill with Times New Roman 12 pt. How do I change the formatting so ALL the fields print using the same font and point size? Make sure Word is in Design mode. Right-click an ActiveX control and choose Properties. Set the desired font in the properties window. Note, however, that ActiveX controls aren't very easy to deal with. (For one thing, mac...

How do I wrap text in a text box around another text box
I'm creating a newsletter with columns. I have a horizontal text box with the article title. I want the vertical column at the same height as the top of the horizontal column. Right now the text in the vertical column is going through some of the horizontal box. I want it to wrap. I've tried to selecting "square" for each of the two boxes wrapping style. Nothing changes. How do I get the text to wrap around the horizontal text box? I'm using Publisher 2003 I found a way around this by copying another textbox from the template that was apprently already set ...

Customer Returns
I'd like to know if there someone has written a RMS report that shows the customer account number, customer's name (last, first), and other customer statistics that INCLUDE pieces purchased and pieces returned. Or, if someone with more knowledge of SQL would care to share their coding expertise to accomplish the same, it would be appreciated. ...

Dynamic unlock a cell (under condition)
Hello guys, lets see if anyone could help me out on how to do this: I have a sheet protected with a password, the reason of this (you know) is that there are some cells that are locked (to not see their formulas or 'cause I don't want them to be changed under any circustances). This is working fine, but now I have the need of some cells (two ranges actually, these are E7:E56 & N7:N56) that they come locked by default but under certain conditions I would need them to get unlocked. Taking an E7 as example, let's say that depending on what we have in B7 this E7 will chang...

How do I count the number of cells
I have several dozens columns and 52 rows containing Data. All the columns are labled Odd or Even In the final (right most) Column I want to count the number of times that that coulmn has data in it The last row belows shows what the answer should be Total Total Odd Even Odd Even Odd Even Odd 5 1 2 ????? ????? 1 7 6 3 ????? ????? 5 1 2 ????? ????? 1 2 9 3 1 3 PLease help =COUNTA() - will count the number of non blank cells. In the brackets place the range name (for example A1:A2). Please hit Yes if my comments have helped. Thanks. &...

Hi, I got Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2003 in Native Mode and when I receive bad mail the response is made from postmaster@mydomain.com but the return-path field is blank. With some anti-spam filter this Email is Junk. Return-Path: <> Anybody know how to specifeid a return-path to the NDR mail? _____________ Thank you Sebastien On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:48:04 -0800, "Sebas" <Sebas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I got Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2003 in Native Mode and when I receive >bad mail the response is made from postmaster@mydomain.c...

Remove Cell Auto-Format (General) on Paste / Replace
Good morning all, Just curious if this is able to be done. I have a series o spreadsheets, all of them do different things, but the common factor i that I paste claim numbers into them. The problem is, Excel seems t think our claim numbers are dates. (Example. 2146/04 or 04/262 (different formats for different sections). Now, I have formatted AL cells on these spreadsheets as text. (Ctrl-A, Format-Cells-Text However, when pasting, Excel overrides whatever you've got, and choose it's own way to paste data. The other problem is with Find-Replace or Find-Replace All. A lot o the time, ...

OnChange combo box
I am using the On Change event to peform actions when the value selected in a Combo box changes. However, if i select the value in the list which is the same as the current value for the combo box the On Change event still sees this as a change. How do i prevent this so that the On Change event only occurs if the value selected in the list is different from the current combo box value? Confused Slug wrote: >I am using the On Change event to peform actions when the value selected in a >Combo box changes. However, if i select the value in the list which is the >same a...

Format cells unavailable
I am assisting a customer running Word 2000 on a Windows 2000 system. He has a spread sheet that will not allow him to do a format > cells on the header row and a few rows below. We can select the colum and this option works but nothing happens when using this option for an individual cell. I don't think these items are protected, is there any way I can be sure? I tried selecting all of the columns and unlocked the cells and this did not help. Can anyone think of any reason why format cells would not be available on this sheet? TIA George Tools, Protection. If the sheet's ...

Function In A Text Box
Hi, I am trying to put a concatenate function in a text box. The error message is as follows: The text you have entered is not a valid reference or defined name. I want to concatenate some text with a number from the cell, A2. Any ideas would greatly appreciated. Regards Tubbsy -- tubbsy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ tubbsy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24743 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=388332 Its not a perfect solution but you could perform the concat...

Site for SOP Returns
Is it possible to have a different default Site ID for Returns than Standard Orders? Yes. You must make sure to change the site when performing a Return Transaction. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "Everton Raymond" wrote: > Is it possible to have a different default Site ID for Returns than Standard > Orders? Sorry, I did not see the word "default" in your post until after I r...

Default email for all new email boxes
It's been requested that we send out a new employee orientation email to all new employees. Is there a way to do this by default with Exchange? To automatically send the same email to all new email boxes that are created.....forever. Seems like it should be doable, but I haven't been able to find a way, nor have I found the correct words to search on this. Any help is appreciated. On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:00:03 -0700, Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >It's been requested that we send out a new employee orientation email to all >new employees. Is th...

Merge/consolidate text cells based on unique keys ?
Hi all. I hope someone can help me out. I have an Excel worksheet with 2 columns: 'Client #' and 'Invoice #'. Every time the accounting dept. generates an invoice, a new row is added in this worksheet. Obviously this is chronological not per Client #. But for the sake of simplicity, let's assume the worksheet is already sorted by Client #, like so: A B Client # Invoice # 231 5929 231 4358 231 2185 231 6234 464 1166 464 1264 464 3432 464 1720 464 9747 791 1133 791 4930 791 5496 791 6291 989 8681 989 3023 989 7935 989 8809 989 8873 My goal is to achieve...

Query regarding A,B,C char. width values returned in 16-bit and 32-bit OS
I am trying to retrieve individual character widths of a string (from a TrueType font) and I tried using GetCharWidth (which weirdly works for TrueType fonts too tho' MSDN says otherwise) and/or GetCharABCWidths to retrieve the A,B and C spacings. Please note that I have selected the TrueType font (hFont) into the Device Context (hDC). I used GetCharABCWidths. Problem is this: GetCharABCWidths returns correct A,B and C widths in Win 98 and incorrect (much lesser A,B and C widths such that the characters OVERLAP) in other 32-bit OS (NT, XP). The effect is seen across all TrueType fonts, th...

Permanent Failure: Other address status

changing extension names
I did try that. I can't remember the exact complication but it did not work. Want to quote your original post? -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Cap't Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1169501c441aa$e2f94810$a401280a@phx.gbl... >I did try that. I can't remember the exact complication > but it did not work. ...

filling a combo-box with 2 fields
Hello, I wonder if it is possible to fill a combobox with data, coming from 2 different fields. (ofcourse both fields with the same kind of data = names of persons) TIA Dirk On Mar 29, 7:49 am, "dirk van waes" <dirk.van.w...@telenet.be> wrote: > Hello, > I wonder if it is possible to fill a combobox with data, coming from 2 > different fields. (ofcourse both fields with the same kind of data = names > of persons) > TIA > Dirk I'm not really sure what you mean by "..fill a combobox with data, coming from 2 different fields." Do you mean in...

Re: How can I stop Outlook to run subsequent rules from VBA function bound to currently running rule
And I thought to use Rule's olRuleActionStop in VBA. . Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com ...

Use tiltle in a cell
Is there a way to use the title of the spreadsheet as a cell value? I asked this before in another topic, but there was no reply. My sheet get's it's title from a database and is variable. So if i can use the title i can strip several characters from the title and use this. So I want to retrieve the title of the spreadsheet and use this in a cell. Thanks! The name of a worksheet can be extracted to a cell with: =MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",A1))+1,255) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from em...

Store the full path and document name in a hyperlink
Hi I need to create an Access database to track a number of documents that are created and stored during the tendering process. I have created a number of tables with hyperlink fields that will store the information eg Tender proposal document (a Word doc); Tender budget document (an Excel book) and company profiles (pdf) from companies submitting tenders. To create the hyperlink to each of these documents in the form, at the moment I right click, choose Hyperlink, Edit Hyperlink and navigate to the required document and select it. The path and filename is then stored in the field, which is ...

Report for Returns
Anyone know a why to report on frequency of customer returns -- so we can see if any customers are making habit of this? Thanks and regards, Rich hitman, Try running a detailed sales report filtered to only negative sales displayed. Good luck, Matt "hitman" <hitman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B3EE780-2655-45B4-B3C6-1F5D35FFA2A7@microsoft.com... > Anyone know a why to report on frequency of customer returns -- so we can > see > if any customers are making habit of this? > > Thanks and regards, > > Rich ...

Returning the Beginning of the week
Returning the beginning of the week. e.g. if the date == 02/03/04 (Friday 2nd March 2004) the beginning week for that date == 01/03/04 (Thursday 1st March 2004) Hows does one go about achieving this? Regards -- Rizitsu ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Rizitsu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15840 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=314968 This formula will take a date in cell A1 and give the start of the wee in B1 * assumes that monday is the start of the week, so i...

Linking Dialog box content with cells in "regular" sheet
How to link data in Edit box (from Dialog caption) with exact cells in "regulal" Sheets? Or is there another way to link exact content from Dialog sheet to normal sheet? For example, if I have number 200 in Dialog, I need that exact number 200 on another ("regular") sheet to preform calculations with it. thnx ...

Address Book Access #2
Hello, We used an application here called Syspro. With this application we are trying to automate a few processes and with this in mind, automatic mails would be great. Problem: Can you turn off / change the access notification to E-mail that states 'someone is trying to access your address book / e-mail'. The options give 3 minutes, ten minutes etc. Can we change this? Obviously granting access to mail all the time would not be acceptable. Apologies for not being very clear but the dialog box(es) are not in front of me... Thank you very much, Dam6 ...