Retrieving Text from Cell Comments

Does anyone know how to capture the text in the cell
Comments to a file?  There is no need to retain reference
to cells.  Comments cell contain POC info that I want to
capture without copying and pasting each comment.
Appreciate any suggestions.
Terry
0
anonymous (74717)

You have a couple of options. One is to go to File > Page
Set-Up > Sheet tab and click on the "comments" drop-down
arrow and select "At end of sheet".

Or you can implement some code to print. Here are some
options from MVP David McRitichie:

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ccomment.htm

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

0
jason.morin (561)
11/21/2003 6:50:12 PM
Harald Staff posted this macro a while back that may help you:

Sub ListThem()
Dim C As Comment
Dim L As Long
L = 1
For Each C In Sheets(1).Comments
    Sheets(2).Cells(L, 1).Value = C.Parent.Address
    Sheets(2).Cells(L, 2).Value = C.Text
    Sheets(2).Cells(L, 3).Value = C.Author
    L = L + 1
Next
End Sub

Adjust the Sheets references as needed.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

0
jrrech (1933)
11/21/2003 6:51:52 PM
There are some techniques here for extracting text from comments:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
11/21/2003 6:58:37 PM
thanks for the feedback.  I will give it a try.
Terry

0
anonymous (74717)
11/21/2003 7:09:40 PM
Thanks so much.  The link below work great!
Terry

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ccomment.htm

0
anonymous (74717)

Linking Comments
Is there a way to link a cell value and comment to a cell in another workbook so that it shows up exactly the same as the original? I know how to link cells, but the comments don't come across in the link. Hi Heidi formulas can only eturn values. So you can't link comments -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany heidi wrote: > Is there a way to link a cell value and comment to a cell > in another workbook so that it shows up exactly the same > as the original? I know how to link cells, but the > comments don't come across in the link. Further to Frank you...

How to retrieve the string from dialog box
Hi All, Does anyone know how to retrieve a string in IDC_STATIC on a dialog box? I have to print out a report with an application version at the bottom line for users to be aware of it in my application. I don't know how to retrieve the string in IDC_STATIC control on a dialog box. It would be very nice that someone let me know how to do that without calling the dialog box. TIA Hwasoo Lee Back 9 wrote: > Hi All, > > Does anyone know how to retrieve a string in IDC_STATIC on a dialog box? > I have to print out a report with an application version at the bottom line &g...

changing colour cell and text by clicking cell
Hi. In a worksheet i have in cells O22::X44 numbers from 1 to 9. Now i what that when i click one of these cells that the cell colour changes to red and the text changes to white Is this possible? Hannes On Mar 16, 5:41=A0am, "hannes" <frans...@home.nl> wrote: > Hi. > > In a worksheet i have in cells O22::X44 numbers from 1 to 9. =A0Now i wha= t > that when i click one of these cells that the cell colour changes to red = and > the text changes to white > Is this possible? > > Hannes It is possible but when do you want that to occur? When the num...

retrieve an AVERAGE of a range using VLOOKUP to locate start/end d
Can I calculate the average of a range based on VLOOKUP? In other words, can I get Excel to "look up" the respective START / END dates of an investment position listed in Sheet 1 and then go and locate those 2 distinct cell values in in a different sheet (Sheet 2) utilizing VLOOKUP function and then return the calculated AVERAGE of the cells within that range back into Sheet 1? Appreciate any thoughts if doable in Excel in any way? tAKE A LOOK AT AverageIFS and see if that does what you want. If it were me, I'd probably enter the formula manually, record the resu...

data validation and null text
Is there a method (no macro) to prevent that when editing a cell it cannot contains a null (blank) text? I have tried with cell A1 inserting the following formula in Data validation: "=(LEN(A1)>0)" but it does not work. Uncheck the ignore blank checkbox as well. -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Scarababau" <scarabeo@mailinator.com> wrote in message news:1143794739.937316.163040@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com... > Is there a method (no macro) to prevent that when editing a cell it > cannot contains a null (blank)...

Add "pad" space to text in cell?
Is it possible to "pad" the text in a cell with added space before and/or after the text? I have Wrapping turned on. With AutoFit, the top and bottom cell edges come right up to the text; I'd like a little white space between the text and the top and bottom edges, but without having to manually adjust all the rows individually. Is this possible? Ed Maybe you could add an alt-enter before the text and another alt-enter at the end. If your cells are formulas, you can use =char(10)&"yourformula"&char(10) Ed wrote: > > Is it possible to "pad&q...

Cell Formula
I need an Excel 2003 formula: If the first cell contains the letter Y then a second cell will display a name contained in a third cell - The second cell needs the formula. "Mike H" wrote: > I need an Excel 2003 formula: If the first cell contains > the letter Y then a second cell will display a name > contained in a third cell - The second cell needs the > formula. If "Y" will be the entire cell value, then in the second cell (A1 and A3 represent the first and third cells): =if(A1="Y", C1, "") Note that this returns the n...

Retrieve mouse position
Hi, I am writing an app in which I need to retrieve the mouse coordinates even when it mouse is outside the main frame. How do I do it? Thanks! xg >Hi, I am writing an app in which I need to retrieve the mouse coordinates >even when it mouse is outside the main frame. How do I do it? Thanks! Have you tried calling GetCursorPos? If you want to know when the mouse is moving I think you'll need to use a hook - have a look at SetWindowsHookEx WH_MOUSE. Dave IN addition to David's answer, you have not stated the problem you are trying to solve. For examp...

Retrieving messages
Help, I mistakenly restored all the defaults on Outlook (the computer did not crash) losing all the messages and address book. I have had to set up the application from scratch entering account details etc. Question is: are all the messages and contacts still held on the computer even the program needs to be set up again and, if so, how do I retrieve them. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks. P89 If you made a backup of your system or My Documents, search for a file called Outlook.pst. If you have that you can import all the information. Al "peterson89" <peterson...

Adding "&" as text in Header
I wanted to add the header "I & C" to the top of my spreadsheet but it continues to eliminate the "&" and just type "IC". I know this must have something to do with the functions available in Excel Headers where you can enter the date "&[Date]" and I believe that this is the reason Excel is eliminateing the symbol. Has anyone figured a way to allow it to be included?? Thanks Stephanie, like this: I && C. -- DDM "DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tricks" Visit us at www.ddmcomputing.com "Stephanie Knuteson" ...

Access 2007 Rich Text Justify
Hi, 1. I want to fully justify text on both left and right sides. Text is stored in SQLServer Text column. 2. On the Rich Text ribbon, there are only icons for left, center, and right justification - no full justification. 3. Is it possible to add HTML tags directly to the text in the table for full justification? I tried using tags below, which works in browser from a notepad text file. However, it does not work in an Access 2007 foooooooooooooorm textbox set to Rich Text. I also want this full justification in an Access 2007 report also. Thanks. Alan Doeans't Work in Access...

I am trying to sort but it says the merged cells must be the same.
When I try to sort my spreadsheet a box comes up that says "This operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized" I have no merged cells in the speadsheet and all the cells are exactly the same size so I am not sure what is going on. If anyone has any ideas please let me know! Thanks Do the following: CTRL A CTRL O followed by E You should now be in the Format Cells menu. Select alignment and uncheck the "Merge cells" block. You may have to click it twice to clear it. Click okay, then try your sort again. >-----Original Message----- >When I try to...

Displaying Text on a form
Hi folks, You know the nice bright red warning message you get on the user screen "The information provided in this form is viewable by the entire organisation". I'd like to add something similar to the Contacts screen - is it possible to do? Thanks in advance. Can you write this in a session in contact window? "SarahD" wrote: > Hi folks, > > You know the nice bright red warning message you get on the user screen "The > information provided in this form is viewable by the entire organisation". > > I'd like to add something sim...

Merge and Center, Text disappear
After selecting an entire row and clicking to Merge and Center botton, then I type in the text I want,I then jumped to the the new cell or row, but then the text I just typed from the Merged cell on top disappear. What is going on? Thank You. If you have centred an entire Row I would think that your text would be very far to the right. Try merging the number of columns that you require Hope that helps Ginger >-----Original Message----- >After selecting an entire row and clicking to Merge and Center botton, then >I type in the text I want,I then jumped to the the new cell or ...

Averaging cells not connected
Iam somewhat new to Excell 2003. I've just learned how to average cells (& ignore zeros) that are connected, either row to row, or coloumb to coloumb. I need to know how to average cells (& ignore zeros or blank cells) that is a mix of connected cell and others that are not connected.....like; B5 C5 D5 B10 C10 D10 this format continues for several more rows. Not sure if I'll find this help screen again. If you don't mined, would you also email the results to: cusjan@yahoo.com Thanks. Try: =AVERAGE(IF(B5:D5<>0,B5:D5),IF(B10:D10<>0,...

Retrieving comment using range name
I have singular cells in different places referenced by their range names. Is there a way to get the comments corresponding to the referenced ranges (singular cells)? Thanks in advance, Tomek Set testrng = Range("A3:A4", "C3:C4") comment1 = testrng(1).Comment.Text .... commentn = testrng(n).Comment.Text Stefi „topola” ezt írta: > I have singular cells in different places referenced by their range > names. Is there a way to get the comments corresponding to the > referenced ranges (singular cells)? > Thanks in advance, > Tomek > > did yo...

Retrieve
Hi how do i retrieve all the postings i have posted in this group. sometimes forget of where i posted my i will be glad to get to know how to pull out my own questions cheers Click on your name to view the profile...Then click 'Recent posts by this user' http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&p=1&tid=467a932d-65b6-4bb1-98e1-25def53a971a&mid=467a932d-65b6-4bb1-98e1-25def53a971a -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Amin" wrote: > Hi how ...

printing vertical text
Hi For my project I have to print a table with 5 rows and 5 colums. The text in the first row has to rotated over 90� so that the colums not get to wide. The first row has text and the rest of the table has 3 digit numbers. To print this I create a font for the first row and a different font for the rest of the table. The font for the first row I give the lforientation and lfescapement the value 900. This works a fine on my win2000 system where I develop the program but when I trie to use this on a win9x PC sometimes the orientation gets wrong. The text aperas not to be rotated 90� but -90�....

Retrieving lost messages after Synchronization in Outlook Express
Setup for my hotmail messages to be downloaded to Outlook Express. When tried to connect to see an old message, didn't realize that it was setup to auto synch. My messages were deleted from hotmail, and are now lost on Outlook Express after synching. Is there anyway to retrieve the lost messages from Outlook Express? I really needed some of the items in there, and had downloaded them so they wouldn't be lost. Thanks! ...

How can a calculated value be displayed wiyhin a text string
I am trying to display calculated value in a text string. The value could change as the variables change. the use of the Ampersand "&" ="all " & (2+3) & " people" will show as all 5 people If you want the number to be in a given format check the text() funciton in help. "Furrukh" wrote: > I am trying to display calculated value in a text string. The value could > change as the variables change. You don't give any details, but perhaps something like ="The sum of the first 10 values is " & SUM(A1:A10) &a...

Macro, being taken to Macro text when execution
I am using the below code to color code the names if they appear in th cells below the heaing Pilot, when I execute the macro I am taken t the macro with the End Sub highlighted. Not sure what I am doing wron here, any help is appericated. Sub Colorcells() For Line = 150 To 1 Step -1 If Pilot = "Lyon" Or Pilot = "Post" Or Pilot = "Hall" Or Pilot "Cabot" Or Pilot = "Baganai" Or Pilot = "Cline" Or Pilot = "Goldfein Or Pilot = "Fink" Then Cells(Line, 7).Select Selection.Font.ColorIndex = 5 End If End Su -- Message pos...

how to give cell reference using Combo Boxes in Excel?
Hi, is it possible to have Combo Boxes in cells in Excel? How could I link a particular cell in excel with the selected value from the combobox. Kindly help me in this regard. Joseph J Hi Joseph See http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html for several approaches on this. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Joseph" <Joseph@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:04BEC1FF-38D0-4A01-B0D4-EA97799D2426@microsoft.com... > Hi, is it possible to have Combo Boxes in cells in Excel? > How could I link a particular cell in excel with the selected value from the > combobox....

move selection after enter into cell
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Upon entering data into a cell, I do not want to move to another cell when I hit Return. In the older version of Excel I used to be able to go into Tools/Options/Edit and uncheck Move Selection after Enter. How can I accomplish this in the 2008 version? thanks Aha - you've revealed yourself as a Windows user :-) Mac OS has never had Options, it uses Preferences instead. Go to Excel> Preferences> Edit where you can specify Up, Down, Left, Right from the list or clear the check to not have the se...

cell limitation?
The maximum number of characters can a cell have? I find it seems to be 32767. Can it be larger? Thanks a lot. simon 32767 is the limit. Note: only about 1024 characters will be shown or printed. Gord Dibben Excel MVP XL2002 On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:47:25 -0700, "simon" <sybsm@yahoo.com> wrote: >The maximum number of characters can a cell have? >I find it seems to be 32767. Can it be larger? >Thanks a lot. "Gord Dibben" <gdibben@shaw.ca> wrote... >32767 is the limit. > >Note: only about 1024 characters will be shown or printed. .... ...

Retrieving
Is there any way to retrieve how many web pages are opened by Internet Explorer, and what URLs are opened by it, from another process? I searched for IHTMLDocument5 and so on, however, I could't find any hint. Please reply. Thanks in advance. Regards, Hyun-jik Bae ...