retaining original column widths in excel

How do I retain original column widths when opening excel files sent to me.
0
GCope (1)

Excell XP
We are working in Excell XP. The HOME key works as follows: HOME (alone) puts the cursor in cell A1 CTRL+HOME puts the cursor in the first cell of the current row These keys are working just the opposite as they did in a previous version. I was wondering if there is anyway to change the way the HOME key functions? Thank you. Abby "Transition Navigation Keys" may have been turned on under Tools, Options, Transition. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP Jim- The "Transition Navigation Keys" are already turned ON. But when I turn them OFF, we get the keys to operate the wa...

how to access column 8 in my Range
Hi, I want to place "1" in column 8 in every row in my range named "LegendList". How do I do this? I tried: LegendList(, 8) = "1" and I tried With LegendList .Cells(, 8) = "1" end with Neither works... Help...please Thanks, Paul try this to put the number 1 in each cell Sub oneinrange() Range("legendlist") = 1 End Sub or 8 columns over Sub oneinrange() Range("legendlist").Offset(, 8) = 1 End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "rpsmith" <rpsmith@bpa.gov> wrot...

Column Size
Hello I've been playing around with placing objects in specified cells. However, I've noticed that the standard column width is shown as 8.43 (64 pixels) - can you tell me what this measurement is? I think the standard row height is in points - why the difference? Thanks Peter Width is dependant on the font. 8.43 denotes that many characters can be displayed in the default Arial font. Try this: With the display set at 100%, note how many columns are visible on your screen. Now, <Tools> <Options> <General> tab, And change the default font to Algerian (right ab...

Excel chart software
I am looking for Excel chart software that is easy to use so that I can input data and it takes away the work of setting up the chart. I need this fairly urgently. I am aware that there are products on the web. Can anyone recommend a good one? What types of charts do you need to create? "Martyn Hughes" <martyn.hughes@cpg-logistics.com> wrote in message news:0bd701c38f16$aa4fb9f0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I am looking for Excel chart software that is easy to use > so that I can input data and it takes away the work of > setting up the chart. I need this fairly urgent...

excel macro rather difficult
I'd like to know if any of you could write a macro for me. This is rather complicated and I'm not sure if it's possible to do something like that with a macro. I will give you an example and try to show what it should do. The excel file i a set of cells which are in one column. They look like that: Q: such that is without people and sad (about aplace) A: desolate ['desolet] Q: sepsis (med) A: infection/gangrene ['gengrin] As you can see there are empty spaces between them plus they never start from numbers. The macro should do the following. I'll put comm...

How do I rename my columns? (i.e.
Just trying to get specific info at the top of my spreadsheet where (A1, B1, C1....etc) are. Not sure quite how to do it. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Hi, You cannot rename the columns, you can use the first row to enter your names instead "Novice" wrote: > Just trying to get specific info at the top of my spreadsheet where (A1, B1, > C1....etc) are. Not sure quite how to do it. Any assistance would be > appreciated. Thanks in advance. Use row 1. If the A1, B1, bother you, Tools - Options - View, hide column Headers. -- ...

Customizing Excel's Border Defaults
I'm working with Excel 2000 and use Borders frequently. The preset default border is a thin line, yet I prefer and always change it to the thick line. How can I change the Excel default to the thick line rather than the thin line? I know it's a small problem, but it's driving me crazy changing it all the time. In WORD, I know how to easily "add style default to template", but can't figure it out in Excel. Any help is greatly appreciated! ...

Delete Columns
In Excel, I need a macro that will delete a column based on a cell that will contain a name based on an input box. Thanks, Bernie See you OTHER post. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Bernie" <bml66@aol.com> wrote in message news:1172699736.687460.300590@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > In Excel, I need a macro that will delete a column based on a cell > that will contain a name based on an input box. > > Thanks, > Bernie > ...

Retainers
Does anyone know the process of receiving retainers and then applying them to the invoice. I need thenm to show up on the invoice. Any help is appreciated. Thank you, Brian In microsoft.public.money, bcarne wrote: >Does anyone know the process of receiving retainers and >then applying them to the invoice. I need thenm to show >up on the invoice. >Any help is appreciated. Not many Business users provide answers. ...

Exiting Excel 2000
I can no longer minimize or exit Excel in the usual manner. In either case, I get a gray screen instead of going to the desktop and I must hit CTR ALT DEL to bring up Windows Task Manager and then click on END TASK to close Excel Hi try to re-register Excel 1. Close Excel first and 2. On the Windows Taskbar 2.1 Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. 2.2 Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Recksul wrote: > I can no longer minimize or exit Excel in the usual > manner. In either cas...

columns to rows and rows to columns
Is there a simple way to switch multiple columns to the rows and multiple rows to the columns, within a table? Hi Edit Copy Edit PasteSpecial and tick "Transpose" HTH Cordially Pascal "time" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news:2003801c45926$a13ee720$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a simple way to switch multiple columns to the > rows and multiple rows to the columns, within a table? ...

How do I test outlier in Excel?
I have datasets and would like to test for outliers. Now I can do al math in Excel by myself, but I wonder whether this has already be automated. Things like Grub's test or Cochran are very well known Hope to hear from someone soon thanks in advance None of them show up in the help menu...which tells me they are not automated. Make sure you added stat add-ons for excel. "Koos jubileert" wrote: > I have datasets and would like to test for outliers. > Now I can do al math in Excel by myself, but I wonder whether this has > already be automated. Things like Grub'...

Query using only criteria for one column when 2 are limited
Access 2007 Among other items in my table, I have a flight column and a date column. There are specific flights for specific dates for which I'd like to see data. The query is returning the right flights, but ALL dates, not limited to the ones I want. If I remove the flight criteria, it shows all flights, but limits my dates as desired. What is the deal? WHY are the simplest of tasks made so much more difficult in this release of Office??? Rita Brasher Global Trade Services FedEx Express Rita It might help us diagnose what's happening if you'd provide...

Excel 97 Calculation Help
Using Excel 97. Trying to take "=(C11-B11)-14" into field D11. However, if C11 and B11 = 0, then I want a 0 in cell D11. Also,trying to take "=(C11-B11)-D11" into field E11. However, if C11 and B11 = 0, then I want a 0 in cell E11. Please help. One way: D11: =IF(AND(C11=0,B11=0),0,C11-B11-14) E11 takes care of itself - if C11=0 and B11=0, then D11=0, and C11-B11-D11 = 0. In article <A7F0936B-B1F9-4EC6-B029-CBAD66653F86@microsoft.com>, Bob <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Using Excel 97. Trying to take "=(C11-B11)-14" into fi...

opening email attachment(spreadsheet) made with excel
I don't have excel. I have ms works. Is there any way to open it on my computer.its xp. thank you. Ed, You can download a free XL viewer from MS. It definitely works with the 97 and 2K versions and I seem to recall people saying it works with newer versions as well, but am not sure. http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/xlviewer.aspx PC "Ed Y." <yeargane@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:02b201c3651d$0e8a7dc0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I don't have excel. I have ms works. Is there any way to > open it on my computer.its xp. thank you. ...

How do I reset my original outlook email settings?
i set up my outlook with the wrong email...how can I reset the original so it is recognized...? Add the correct mail account and remove the bad one? "tltradeny" <tltradeny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16F32CD4-655A-4AC9-9C7E-63B4961D46B4@microsoft.com... > i set up my outlook with the wrong email...how can I reset the original so > it > is recognized...? "tltradeny" <tltradeny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16F32CD4-655A-4AC9-9C7E-63B4961D46B4@microsoft.com... >i set up my outlook with the ...

i am trying to fill a column with dates in descending order
i am trying to fill a column with dates in descending order from dec. 31,2010 to jan.1 2010 and i having a difficult time trying to accomplish this zanc1one, First format the column the way that you want it (i.e. Date ,Type: "14-Mar-01") In the first cell say A2 put "31-Dec-10". In the cell below it (A3) put "=A2 - 1" It will change to 30-Dec-10 Then just copy cell A3 down until you get to "1-Jaan-10" hth "zanc1one" wrote: > i am trying to fill a column with dates in descending order from dec. 31,2010 > to jan.1 201...

excel 2000 #20
How do you change a Folder with Subfolders from read only to attribute? Folder is saved on a re-writable drive. I have been using multible folders and worksheets to this drive since Jan. 04 and today all folders and files changed to read only. The file was created by me in Jan. 04. I do not understand what would change this and I cannot change to check in read only to attribute in the property field. ...

Retained Earnings posting issue
We have a customer who closed their fiscal year as of Sep. 30, 2008. They made some adjusting journal entries over the weekend and posted the batch. While attempting to reuse the same batch ID for additional entries, they found that one entry from the previous posting was still in the batch and the batch was in Batch Recovery. The edit list showed the error message that the Retained Earnings account was not a Balance Sheet account. We found that the RE account had been changed in GL setup. The problem is that of the six entries in this batch, 4 should not have posted due to this err...

Copy and Paste Non Contigous columns
Greetings all. I have 2 workbooks exactly the same as each other except that one is the workbook with the info whilst the other is in the form of a template. In the first workbook I would like to copy values and paste them to the Template file; to the same location (Sheet name, columns, etc.) I can't seem to do this in one hit by either: 1. Copying sheet to Template file. As it copies all the fomulas and links them back to the workbook. 2. Copying the columns in one hit. As when pasting them, they are pasted contiguously, overwriting other columns. As I'm copying about 5 columns I&#...

Migrating from Goldmine
Hi there, I'm migrating from Goldmine to CRM 4.0, and will ultimately have csv lists of accounts, contacts, leads, activities etc. In using either import method, it always fails when starting out, as if i import accounts first, when it tries to import the primary contact, since there are no contacts to lookup, it fails. Vice versa if i start by importing contacts, i cant automatically assign a parent customer, as the lookup fails because the accounts aren't imported yet. If i import accounts, then import contacts with parent customers listed, it works, but i've lost my ...

Anyone have an idea of Excel use among versions?
Hi - I have not yet found this on the web, wonder if someone else might have some insight. I am particularly interested in the percentages (better yet, numbers) of end-users who "almost always" (or only) use version 2003 versus those who "almost always" (or only) use 2007 (or later). This tends to exclude folks like Rob Bovey and Chip Pearson, who likely use everything back to Excel 5. E.g., is 70% Excel 2003, 30% Excel 2007 a reasonable guess? Informed guesstimates are very much welcomed. TIA - Dave B -- Please keep response(s) solely within this threa...

stack columns
I have a data in e.g. 10 rows and 20 columns. How do I stack the data so that I it is one column, such that data in column B is below data in column A, data in column C below column B and so on. Thank you. Hi! Try this: You have a 10 row by 20 column range. That range is A1:T10. Enter this formula in A11 and copy down to A200: =OFFSET($B$1,MOD(ROWS($A$1:A1)-1,10),INT((ROWS($A$1:A1)-1)/10)) Biff "Wan" <Wan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3C2793B-CC29-40BA-93B8-7CF202E230BA@microsoft.com... >I have a data in e.g. 10 rows and 20 columns. How do I st...

How to create/embed table or existing Excel spreadsheet into Lotus Notes 6.5 email
I have been successful in creating and sending an email through Lotus Notes. However, I need to be able to format the body so that the message is more presentable. Currently, I filter a spreadsheet based on two named ranges and send an email to the SOX audit team member and copy the SOX control owner. I copy the values from selected columns on the visible rows and separate those values by tabs. However, the presentation is bad as the data is variable in length and therefore the alignment is not correct. I would like to learn how to create/embed either a table into the Lotus Notes email bo...

Office 07 Excel chart title position
I want my chart title to be positioned above the chart /plot area, can't do it. "above the chart" does not position the title above the chart, it leaves exactly where "centered overlay title" put it. Help please (& thank you) An option would be to use worksheet cells to add your title rather than using the chart itself. Using worksheet cells positioned directly over the top of your chart would allow you to control the title location as well as expand the area available for the plot. -- John Mansfield cellmatrix.net "Eve Allen" wrote: > I w...